Wake Forest Post Game Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Wake Forest Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
It’s not the loss, it was the way we lost. The refs decided when the game ended not the players. They tried to end the game on the bad spot. When that failed, they did not call a penalty. I firmly believe it was intentional.
Stinger, the fact they didn;t huddle up…. No calls from the ACC office on this one…..

2 calls in a row on last drive?

This was as obvious as it gets. Worst part is we were at home.

For all of us people not part of an underrepresented population, I can only imagine that this is what discrimination feels like when it happens.

No one to complain to and no one interested in resolving a wrong that happened - just take it.

This game was like being kicked in the stomach today.

Reaction Score
Disappointed with the finish and how it ended. ACC refs have been doing this to us for decades, they cheat, conference post season money depends on winning. I remember a weak / bogus back side holding call vs UNC giving UNC a safety, the ball and ending the game back 10-15 years ago

I am happy we competed. I'm not a moral victory guy, but they're competing and that's progress.

But I want to talk about attendance. I saw more cars parked than I did people in the stands. Into the first quarter, seats were still empty and I could see a line of cars still waiting to park. It's obvious people just stay outside and tailgate. I guess this tradition started during our dark ages, but it's time to come inside and make some noise. The only section more than scarcely filled was the student section and maybe where the WF fans were sitting. So I can't blame the students

We need fans in their seats
I thought the lower bowl was good at start of game. My section 122 was full. ESPN had attendance at 30K. It was great weather for football and tailgating.

Reaction Score
On a side note, while I have lots of issues with ACC over the years, No issues w/ their football fans. That Wake board is suprisingly reasonable.

We are almost a perfect fit in that league for football.

We’ve played 2 ACC teams - I would make the argument both on the road :) - and a total of 8 points separates us. UConn had chance to win in both games.

It feels like a perfect fit.

But my angst goes back many years with ACC and BC but for football, hand meet glove IMO.

Reaction Score
That 3 and 1 call and then not going for it on 4th and 1 sealed the game. Did not like that decision. Also, seemed like the spot they gave us was bad again
Spot was bad. Needed to go for it.

After the point and defense holding to force WF

Reaction Score
I don't blame Wake Forest for the way the game ended. After all, if the ACC destructs, WF could be homeless unless their record improves. If the ACC survives and UConn is a member, Wake could be a fun rivalry for UConn.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Does Evers have what it takes to be the on-field brain of the offense? I think no.
I believe Evers was tentative becuase he did not want to get concussed again and end his season/career. That being said, can't blame him, but at the same time, can't have a QB like that either. I was hoping after the slow start the Mora would have given Fagnano a chance, but it wasn't to be. Loss on Mora this time.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Interestingly enough Texas fans got refs to reverse a call after fans threw trash on the field.

Just saw the story on ESPN... So we need trashy fans, for just in case.
;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Mora not holding anything back on the refs in his press conference.
Can someone post a link to it? I've looked on UConn+, on YouTube, and just googled it and I can't find it. That was such a frustrating finish. It would be somewhat satisfying to see Mora ream them out on it.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Evers played as well as Joe did two weeks ago and did it against better competition. The QB play is what it is, there's not much separating the two at the moment. However, Evers has the higher ceiling and so he's the one the coaches have decided to roll with.
There is not very much daylight between the two QBs even if they are very different players.

What it comes down to for me is one of them gets the ball to Bell and the other doesn't.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There is not very much daylight between the two QBs even if they are very different players.

What it comes down to for me is one of them gets the ball to Bell and the other doesn't.
That's a fair observation and a fair point. I've said that both quarterbacks are good enough for us to win, barely. They definitely each bring pros and cons.

The thing that kills me with both of them is that they both tend to lock onto their targets. Against better defenses you're going to get caught doing that and get picked off. That should've been groomed out of both of them in high school.

You make a really good point about Fagnano getting the ball to Bell. You put the ball in his hands and good things happen. I actually like Evers passing better in that he throws it right in there on a rope whereas Fagnano seems to always lob it in. The latter is easy to catch and also easier to pick off.

The bottom line is, we have very little margin against P4 teams. Stupid mistakes like getting caught moving cost us there where it might not against FCS or even G5 opponents. We are good enough to get to a bowl, but the game against Rice is the key. We can't let that one slip through our fingers. And with very little margin, every advantage matters. One advantage at home is the crowd. At yesterday's game the crowd was loud, but not as loud as it would be with another 10,000 people in the stadium. If you haven't gotten to a game yet, Rice is your last chance. Yesterday was beautiful day in the stadium and just an absolute blast. Make it a point to go. I don't care if your wife wants you to go shoe shopping with her or if you're worried that your grandkids will be traumatized if you miss their crappy ass soccer game. Support your university team. You will have a great time, and crowds at the stadium matters more than you think it does.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
On a side note, while I have lots of issues with ACC over the years, No issues w/ their football fans. That Wake board is suprisingly reasonable.

We are almost a perfect fit in that league for football.

We’ve played 2 ACC teams - I would make the argument both on the road :) - and a total of 8 points separates us. UConn had chance to win in both games.

It feels like a perfect fit.

But my angst goes back many years with ACC and BC but for football, hand meet glove IMO.
As I'm washing my UConn gear today to get rid of the stench of yesterday's bad juju, your post hit a fine point, we lost two games by 8 points. We score once more in both games, and our record is a fantastic turnaround from last year. It took horrible biased calls and no calls from the buffoons supplied by the All Cretins Conference to keep us from beating their teams. The epiphany being they don't just hate us, they fear us and need help from the blind zebras cuz they don't have they cajones to beat us by their own merit. On a level playing field, we can beat the All Cretins, they know it, and they're scared of being shown up by us. This thought will soothe me until we destroy Rice.

Reaction Score
That's a fair observation and a fair point. I've said that both quarterbacks are good enough for us to win, barely. They definitely each bring pros and cons.

The thing that kills me with both of them is that they both tend to lock onto their targets. Against better defenses you're going to get caught doing that and get picked off. That should've been groomed out of both of them in high school.

You make a really good point about Fagnano getting the ball to Bell. You put the ball in his hands and good things happen. I actually like Evers passing better in that he throws it right in there on a rope whereas Fagnano seems to always lob it in. The latter is easy to catch and also easier to pick off.

The bottom line is, we have very little margin against P4 teams. Stupid mistakes like getting caught moving cost us there where it might not against FCS or even G5 opponents. We are good enough to get to a bowl, but the game against Rice is the key. We can't let that one slip through our fingers. And with very little margin, every advantage matters. One advantage at home is the crowd. At yesterday's game the crowd was loud, but not as loud as it would be with another 10,000 people in the stadium. If you haven't gotten to a game yet, Rice is your last chance. Yesterday was beautiful day in the stadium and just an absolute blast. Make it a point to go. I don't care if your wife wants you to go shoe shopping with her or if you're worried that your grandkids will be traumatized if you miss their crappy ass soccer game. Support your university team. You will have a great time, and crowds at the stadium matters more than you think it does.
Has the Georgia State game been cancelled? LOL.

Reaction Score
Interestingly enough Texas fans got refs to reverse a call after fans threw trash on the field.

Wow. I doubt we could ever get the ACC referees to change an awful call that went against us.

Reaction Score
We had 2 weeks to prepare, and we didn’t figure out anything.
I agree. But I also think I called it a week and a half ago and got flamed for my effort. UConn was pathetic in the first quarter. And if Evers was under restriction not to run, why was he in there? As inconsistent as JF is, he is a better passer. The OL basically stunk. Not even 100 yards rushing? And it looked like the D did no tackling practice for two weeks. A perfect day and a relatively large crowd. But while there may have been 30K tickets distributed, there were no more than 25K actually in the seats. The trend is good however. Basically twice the Buffalo crowd.

I am not sold on Sammis. I think UConn would be better served by a change in time for next year. Guessing it won't happen though. Too soon.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My son got mad at me because I quoted a WF Fan - guess that’s taboo in our house.

WF Fan said “Well once they figured out they couldn’t run in 1st half, why didn’t they put Fagnano in the game? He’s obviously the better passer.”

Also let’s face it Evers had some bad throws and could have been 4 INTs.

Evers was also coming back after 2 concussions. No reason not to give Fagnano some reps. yesterday, Sr. Leadership could have gone a long way.
I thought Evers was good in second half. 26-43, 264 and two TDs is a good bounce back.

We are looking at QBs here like they are nfl qbs. He isn't an nfl qb and doesn't play like one.

There were drops, and he isnt perfect, but i thought it was productive.

Fagnano can get the ball more vertical, but is also inconsistent. Kid showed moxy and played well second half.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My biggest concern going into this year was the offense. Mora, in his first two years here, has shown a good amount of competence on the defensive side of the ball. To me, it seems like his biggest failure has been trusting his OC to handle all of the offensive duties. Many college teams have a small army of analysts to scheme together an offensive game plan. You saw during the Wake game how there were multiple people in a booth doing the play calling. And Wake, as you know, is bottom of the barrel in terms of football investments. They ONLY spend 3M on their head coach, which is more or less what we pay our entire coaching staff.

The outcome of this game obviously sucked, but I am walking away with a bit of encouragement about Nick Evers. Take a look at his interception. (You might think it weird of me to use his INT as encouragement, but stick with me.)

This is the start of the play:
Wake Forest vs. UConn Game Highlights _ 2024 ACC Football 0-0 screenshot.jpg

UConn is in their 11-personnel. QB shotgunned. Usually this means RPO. Wake is in a nickel defense, cover-2. Obvious zone. Pre-snap, the most likely and optimal outcome is some sort of inside slant to Sheffield lined up in the slot position. 5-7 yard game. That's exactly what Evers read. Good job there.

Post snap, 1 second later (I have a photo, but can only upload 2), confirmed zone defense. OLB is covering Sheffield. Evers is looking downfield instead of at Sheffield. Another good job there by Evers.

Wake Forest vs. UConn Game Highlights _ 2024 ACC Football 0-5 screenshot.jpg

This is about 1 sec before the INT. All the middle defenders are looking at the QB, seemingly knowing this was an RPO. Defenders know it's a pass play at this point. Sheffield is about to make a big mistake, followed by Evers throwing to him. Sheffield should have cut inside right there before meeting the OLB. Instead, he kept running another 5 yards -- a different route -- past the OLB, delaying the expected throw. The play is broken. Evers could have thrown it to Cam, but he was a bit slow to get open. Evers should have also tried running it outside with Cam as the lead blocker. Wake was rushing only rushing 3, so room was there. Instead, he throw into quadruple coverage.

Sheffield made the first mistake and Evers didn't adjust to the mistake. This is the inexperience part Ever's game, learning not just how to adjust to a defense, but how to adjust to your teammates messing up. However, inexperience is something that usually goes away with more reps. Keep in mind here, I'm showing you stills, but all of this stuff happened in this one play happened in less than 5 seconds. High level football is much harder to play than watch.

Later in the game, UConn ran the same formation and Wake the same defense. Evers threw a dime to the streaking Gathings running an outside post resulting in a TD in the 3Q. The throw only took 2 secs, the entire play 3. It took awhile for OC Sammis to see that our oline wasn't playing their best. The adjustments Sammis made were good, just slow. Seems that the inexperience isn't all on Evers.

In saying all of this, I do think we have something here in a potential Evers, but I much rather we have a six year senior like Bachmeier with a couple 3000 passing seasons under his belt and 225 LB frame. Unfortunately, those are kind of rare and we just fell short in recruiting and short in the game. Still, this year's team is much improved and will probably get better.

How many of you would have taken 7-8 wins at this time last year, even if it came against all G5 teams?

Reaction Score
I agree. But I also think I called it a week and a half ago and got flamed for my effort. UConn was pathetic in the first quarter. And if Evers was under restriction not to run, why was he in there? As inconsistent as JF is, he is a better passer. The OL basically stunk. Not even 100 yards rushing? And it looked like the D did no tackling practice for two weeks. A perfect day and a relatively large crowd. But while there may have been 30K tickets distributed, there were no more 25K actually in the seats. The trend is good however. Basically twice the Buffalo crowd.

I am not sold on Sammis. I think UConn would be better served by a change in time for next year. Guessing it won't happen though. Too soon.
You don't think wake has good coaches?

They were prepared. They didn't get out schemed. They lost game physically on the lines. They didn't get enough pressure, and they got beat.

Reaction Score
I thought the lower bowl was good at start of game. My section 122 was full. ESPN had attendance at 30K. It was great weather for football and tailgating.
We are like LA and Miami. We don't get into the game at the start as a fanbase. Something haple s at Bostin College.

Secondly, every week for 20 years of fbs UConn fans/media talk and complain about the crowd.

I am sick of the crowd talk. Sell tickets. As long as they are there are some point it is great.

But every week for this team since 2004 is a referendum on if UConn can play fbs football. It is tired.

People will show up to win the games if it is a P4 team and UConn is halfway decent.

Reaction Score
The coaches need to work on Evers’ mechanics. He throws such a flat ball. When he’s rushed he short arms his throws and guys are trying to catch balls from their knees. There were more than a handful of drives that were a bad throw away from moving the chains.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
You don't think wake has good coaches?

They were prepared. They didn't get out schemed. They lost game physically on the lines. They didn't get enough pressure, and they got beat.
Where did I say that?

You know, if the running game is completely stalled, they might have considered putting in a fullback to lay the wood. Do you think Todman got all those yards without Anthony Sherman laying the wood? The correct answer is no.

And yes, I think NE was not the optimum choice given the options available, albeit limited.

Reaction Score
I don't blame Wake Forest for the way the game ended. After all, if the ACC destructs, WF could be homeless unless their record improves. If the ACC survives and UConn is a member, Wake could be a fun rivalry for UConn.
In my dreams!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom