Wake Forest Post Game Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Wake Forest Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
There is not very much daylight between the two QBs even if they are very different players.

What it comes down to for me is one of them gets the ball to Bell and the other doesn't.

Exactly. Both are mid at best. But Fagnano's mid skills get us farther than Evers. Who isn't and never was dual threat.

Reaction Score
1. Visiting teams supplying the officials in non-conference games has been standard practice forever.
2. We don't have conference officials to hire.
3. Getting another conference to supply officials to all of our games would be difficult to impossible because the already have conference games or non-conference away games assigned to those crews. See item #1.

It was a terrible missed call from a crew that will deal with Wake far more frequently than UConn. Whether intentional or not, we can't be in that position where it matters against what is a terrible ACC team that needs the win to be bowl eligible. Which means more money to the ACC.

Life isn't fair, overcome it.

1. Not true. We used to get officials from a different conference when we played OOC. Like using Big 10 officials when we played ACC during the Big East days.

2. There is no rule that says we can coordinate to get MAC officials.

3. It’s not difficult or impossible.

Reaction Score
Frustrating to lose to yet another ACC team and the manner in which we lost that game was all the more infuriating, but I didn't walk out of that stadium discouraged about the team or the season as a whole because of that loss. We managed to escaped the Temple game by the skin of our teeth, so in all, we're probably where we deserve to be and that is 4-3 and still in good position to get to 7 or 8 wins and a bowl bid. Gotta put this one behind us and get ready for Rice.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
On Evers. 264 and 2 TDs isn't terrible. He has started the three losses against P4 teams, and is getting better. He gives team a better chance to win imo.

He gives the team a better chance to win based on him being the starter in the games they've lost.

Hell of a take.

Reaction Score
He gives the team a better chance to win based on him being the starter in the games they've lost.

Hell of a take.
That's dumb and shows no nuance. Fagnano is playing against teams where UConn is superior in talent.

Evers the opposite.

Evers vs Wake > Fagnano vs. Temple.

That is where I am making the apples to apples. If you think fagnano is better, based in the merrimack game…u mean. Come on. Lol.

Reaction Score
Evers has to be qb1 against Rice. Big game.

1. Can Evers and qb coach input data from WF game and apply it. Can Evers bump it up a bit
2. Can Sammis do a mini retooling of the offense while continuing to start Evers
3. Don’t know what to say about punter
4. Brock just keep refining his scheme and emphasize fundamentals

Reaction Score
Definitely a PI that wasn’t called.
Nobody knows if UConn would have won if the play was called correctly, but we do know that because of that no call, UConn could not win.

The team is still learning and developing. But 100% agree with those saying that where we are currently at is so much better than previous years under RE 2.0.

Mora will use this game to fire up the team, learn from mistakes by coaches and players, and in turn make them better. That’s what good coaches do.

Should have won. Could have won. But we didn’t. Let’s get after Rice next week. All we can do is beat the opponent in front of us.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
That's dumb and shows no nuance. Fagnano is playing against teams where UConn is superior in talent.

Evers the opposite.

Evers vs Wake > Fagnano vs. Temple.

That is where I am making the apples to apples. If you think fagnano is better, based in the merrimack game…u mean. Come on. Lol.

Evers can't throw the ball down field and it makes our offense extremely easy to defend.

You're focusing too much on the stats and not relying on you eyes - I've seen the same thingies with Daniel Jones in his "good" games. Decent completion percentage, low TOs, can maybe run a bit.. but it doesn't show the inability to get chunk plays or the opportunities to get our guys the ball in a position to make plays.

Fagnano isn't a world beater by any stretch but I think he has the higher ceiling because he can stretch the field and gets the ball into our playmakers hands.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Evers can't throw the ball down field and it makes our offense extremely easy to defend.

You're focusing too much on the stats
IMG_4945.jpeg

Reaction Score
Back to the bad spot. I go with my eyes. I'm watching on a big TV. Camera clearly shows the receiver reaching over the "line to gain". My brain goes to 1st down. So did the announcers. PA calls it a first down. UConn is in a hurry up. They aren't standing around like its the 2nd drive of the game. Horrible spot. Possibly a legit bad read by the official. But, I can't blame the UConn team and coaches for playing it like it's 1st and 10. The only 3 people on the planet that knew it was 3rd and 1 were the side judge and the 2 guys holding the chains and that's only because the judge told one of them not to move.
I was at the game and watched the replay yesterday. This whole sequence which I watched over and over about a dozen times was beyond comical. First, Gathings clearly reached the ball about 1 yard over the line to gain. OK, maybe the ref missed that. But then when he marked the spot with his right foot, it was right on the line to gain. So first down anyway. Nope when the team lines up for 3rd down, the ball is being snapped about 2 feet short of where he maked it. How (and why) did it get pushed back??

OK, so that is refs being crappy ACC refs. But how do the coaches not see it? I am pretty sure they can challenge the spot. And then how do you not know that no first down was signaled? Are the coaches really listening to the PA announcers and not watching what is happening on the field? Nobody saw that it was 3rd down? Which leads to the dumb 3rd and 2 foot play call. OK. Incomplete. 4th and 2 feet. How in the world do you not go for that? If you really feel like can't get 2 feet when you're down in the 4th quarter, honestly, don't even bother coming out of the locker room.

So the ACC ref screw over was clear but the coaching staff and frankly everyone on the sideline gets an F for how that entire sequence played out.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Evers is young, in games played. If you think he's a three-year starter, then he needs to go through this stuff. I just wish it was faster. When he got to the 4th quarter down two scores, it felt like with less "game management" to think about, he was freed to just play and it looked and felt better. Some of that could have been Wake's defense playing a bit looser with a lead though. Also, I'm sure Mora's been in his ear about taking hits; and rightfully so. He cost us at least a couple first downs by not running. As far as the officiating goes, us getting shafted is just a given... It's an environmental hazard. That whole "who knows what down it is" thing was a real chit show though.

Reaction Score
I was at the game and watched the replay yesterday. This whole sequence which I watched over and over about a dozen times was beyond comical. First, Gathings clearly reached the ball about 1 yard over the line to gain. OK, maybe the ref missed that. But then when he marked the spot with his right foot, it was right on the line to gain. So first down anyway. Nope when the team lines up for 3rd down, the ball is being snapped about 2 feet short of where he maked it. How (and why) did it get pushed back??

OK, so that is refs being crappy ACC refs. But how do the coaches not see it? I am pretty sure they can challenge the spot. And then how do you not know that no first down was signaled? Are the coaches really listening to the PA announcers and not watching what is happening on the field? Nobody saw that it was 3rd down? Which leads to the dumb 3rd and 2 foot play call. OK. Incomplete. 4th and 2 feet. How in the world do you not go for that? If you really feel like can't get 2 feet when you're down in the 4th quarter, honestly, don't even bother coming out of the locker room.

So the ACC ref screw over was clear but the coaching staff and frankly everyone on the sideline gets an F for how that entire sequence played out.

I was half listening to Dusty and Danny on SXM this morning and started paying attention when someone called in and called the ACC the All Criminal Conference for the officiating.

Reaction Score
What happened to our four-headed monster running game (Edwards, Brown, Robinson & Rosa)? I realize 2 of our OLmen went down, but nobody is going to win with 40 yards total rushing.

As far as the oficials, when the contract is drafted for OOC games, officials are part of the terms of the contract and 95% of the time the officials will be from the visiting team's conference. We're not gonna attract P4 opponents to come to The Rent if they can't have their conference's officials work the game. AD David Benedict might have some negotiation room when it comes to G5 teams coming to East Hartford, but no way B12, ACC, B1G or SEC teams will come to PAWSARF without their officials.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not sure what the point of this post is - but we averaged 6.1 yards per pass play. It's just not good enough to beat any team with a pulse.
You mentioned stats, so I thought I would throw that up there. With the stats show is a very close game. What the final score showed was also a very close game. In the end, the difference was not the passing game, but the ineffective running game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom