Wake Forest Post Game Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Wake Forest Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
I thought Evers was good in second half. 26-43, 264 and two TDs is a good bounce back.

We are looking at QBs here like they are nfl qbs. He isn't an nfl qb and doesn't play like one.

There were drops, and he isnt perfect, but i thought it was productive.

Fagnano can get the ball more vertical, but is also inconsistent. Kid showed moxy and played well second half.
I hear you and this wasn’t the only reason we lost the game.

I think the margin of error gets smaller as we play better teams. That was apparent yesterday. We can’t have a QB miss as many throws and not run for any yards - they can’t disappear for Quarters.

I think the only caveat is I thought Evers played well 4th quarter.

His total yards a bit misleading as we essentially gave up running the ball which game him lots more attempts.

To me this is about in game adjustments and doing what it takes to win the game vs. just coming up short.

Reaction Score
Not easy to win games playing from behind most or all the game. No room for error or bad calls /penalties.

Reaction Score
As I'm washing my UConn gear today to get rid of the stench of yesterday's bad juju, your post hit a fine point, we lost two games by 8 points. We score once more in both games, and our record is a fantastic turnaround from last year. It took horrible biased calls and no calls from the buffoons supplied by the All Cretins Conference to keep us from beating their teams. The epiphany being they don't just hate us, they fear us and need help from the blind zebras cuz they don't have they cajones to beat us by their own merit. On a level playing field, we can beat the All Cretins, they know it, and they're scared of being shown up by us. This thought will soothe me until we destroy Rice.
Interestingly I didn’t feel any angst towards Wake at end of game or today.

This was the ACC Inc. literally sticking a fork in us and saying “we are going to elevate Wake at your expense and there’s not a dang thing you can do about it.”

I was at the game, That blank stare on the refs faces as they refused to look at each other as they reversed UConn first downs, move spots back on key downs only for UConn, called for replays only on plays that would benefit Wake Forest after we hiked the ball, and then ultimately refused to discuss the most important call of the day - that said it all.

As I told my son as we left the stadium, it would be a more interesting topic if the calls could have gone either way… This was just blatant— took joy out of the game for both us and even Wake. You could tell their fans are not feeling as good as they could - tainted just a Bit. But again, I don’t blame them. This is ACC inc.

Reaction Score
FINALLY cooled off enough to get thoughts together:
1. The in stadium play announcer-
a. Never cared for his voice since Day 1
b. DON'T announce a First down until the game official signals it AND you actually see the chains move
c. AD Dave should either terminate his employment, severely fine him, or put him on suspension for not accurately calling the play on the field
d. The announcer ISN'T there for the patrons' entertainment, just for accurate information. DITCH the schtick!

2. Coaching staff
a. Who's monitoring the play on the field? Why are you reacting to the stadium announcer's call of a first down & not actually calling a play that will get you the half yard needed to convert it?
b. After the missed pass play the situation is 4th & a half yard needed for a first down near mid-field with just over 11 minutes left in regulation. UConn is down by 10 points, needing 2 scores to either win outright or force overtime. I would have been much more comfortable rolling the dice trying to get that first down, rather than surrendering the ball & allowing Wake to run valuable time off of the clock.
3. The officiating crew-
a. The ACC bias was evident throughout the game with the lack of holding called against Wake, the infuriating non-holding. pass interference to end UConn's last gasp at offense & the "first down that wasn't".

Just a painful waste of a lovely day for football.
I agree that AD David Benedict MUST reconcile the game officiating situation. UConn mustn't be in the position of playing contests with 2 strikes against them.
I suggest any of the following solutions;
a. IF, as has been speculated, the XII (Yormark) actually is interested in adding the Huskies in the future, sign an officiating contract with the XII beginning next season.
b. When the Big East fell apart after West Virginia left, many of its better officials were hired by the B1G. If UConn needs a second option, Benedict should look in this direction.
c. Barring a or b, try getting a contract with the SEC for game officials. UConn currently schedules games against SEC teams infrequently.

In any event AD Dave needs to vent UConn's frustrations to ACC offices with video documentation & let the ACC know that the University won't tolerate this treatment any longer. (or is there some fine print in the contract signed saying this ACC bias is allowed)

Reaction Score
Interestingly I didn’t feel any angst towards Wake at end of game or today.

This was the ACC Inc. literally sticking a fork in us and saying “we are going to elevate Wake at your expense and there’s not a dang thing you can do about it.”

I was at the game, That blank stare on the refs faces as they refused to look at each other as they reversed UConn first downs, move spots back on key downs only for UConn, called for replays only on plays that would benefit Wake Forest after we hiked the ball, and then ultimately refused to discuss the most important call of the day - that said it all.

As I told my son as we left the stadium, it would be a more interesting topic if the calls could have gone either way… This was just blatant— took joy out of the game for both us and even Wake. You could tell their fans are not feeling as good as they could - tainted just a Bit. But again, I don’t blame them. This is ACC inc.
I agree 100 percent.

Reaction Score
There were plenty of Wake Forest fans at the game. But there were a couple guys in row 7 in front of us, Section 200, who had flown out of Greenville, SC, to Hartford and taken an Uber to the Rent. No Wake regalia on. My antenna went up talking to them but nothing was divulged. One guy said nothing and the other said that he had seen Wake a couple times this year but had not seen UConn yet. Also that he was aware that Jim Mora had once coached the Falcons. They seemed impressed by the band's playing of the Battle Hymn of the Republic. It surprised them. The comment: "Wow." Gotta say that it IS an impressive part of the band's routine.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can someone post a link to it? I've looked on UConn+, on YouTube, and just googled it and I can't find it. That was such a frustrating finish. It would be somewhat satisfying to see Mora ream them out on it.
I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't get posted by the school given the expletive laden nature of it. I don't know that many of us who weren't in the car listening to 97.9 playing it live after Mora's quick post-game and then closing of the locker room so they couldn't get any player interviews. Either that or post-prod to bleep the expletives is taking longer than expected.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't get posted by the school given the expletive laden nature of it. I don't know that many of us who weren't in the car listening to 97.9 playing it live after Mora's quick post-game and then closing of the locker room so they couldn't get any player interviews. Either that or post-prod to bleep the expletives is taking longer than expected.
Amore wrote a courant article that's basically a transcript...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
1. Visiting teams supplying the officials in non-conference games has been standard practice forever.
2. We don't have conference officials to hire.
3. Getting another conference to supply officials to all of our games would be difficult to impossible because the already have conference games or non-conference away games assigned to those crews. See item #1.

It was a terrible missed call from a crew that will deal with Wake far more frequently than UConn. Whether intentional or not, we can't be in that position where it matters against what is a terrible ACC team that needs the win to be bowl eligible. Which means more money to the ACC.

Life isn't fair, overcome it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Has the Georgia State game been cancelled? LOL.
IMG_4932.jpeg

Reaction Score
My final thought (day after):

No call was one of the worst ever. It literally decided the game, given the time on the clock and UConn's time outs.

Back to the bad spot. I go with my eyes. I'm watching on a big TV. Camera clearly shows the receiver reaching over the "line to gain". My brain goes to 1st down. So did the announcers. PA calls it a first down. UConn is in a hurry up. They aren't standing around like its the 2nd drive of the game. Horrible spot. Possibly a legit bad read by the official. But, I can't blame the UConn team and coaches for playing it like it's 1st and 10. The only 3 people on the planet that knew it was 3rd and 1 were the side judge and the 2 guys holding the chains and that's only because the judge told one of them not to move.

So, the next step is to continue to move the program forward and make joining the BIG 1o, where they'll continue to see bad calls against them if they're playing on of the original 10 (ask Nebraska fans what it's like to be a newcomer) or the Big 12 and hope they don't implode.

And send a nice note to the ACC and ask them just how happy they are with their choice to go with BC. :p

Reaction Score
There were plenty of Wake Forest fans at the game. But there were a couple guys in row 7 in front of us, Section 200, who had flown out of Greenville, SC, to Hartford and taken an Uber to the Rent. No Wake regalia on. My antenna went up talking to them but nothing was divulged. One guy said nothing and the other said that he had seen Wake a couple times this year but had not seen UConn yet. Also that he was aware that Jim Mora had once coached the Falcons. They seemed impressed by the band's playing of the Battle Hymn of the Republic. It surprised them. The comment: "Wow." Gotta say that it IS an impressive part of the band's routine.
Are you sure it was a good wow lol

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Lots of whining about the refs but we played an awful game on offense and didn't deserve to win.

Our ceiling is capped with Evers as the QB going forward. Its just too hard to put up points when you can't hit big plays downfield. You're forced to execute long drives and have very little margin for error.

Not saying Evers was the reason we lost, he made some nice throws in 4Q, but maybe we're good enough to beat the dregs of fbs but that's about it.
You know what they say about opinions.

Yes the game plan could have been better but again the refs should never and I mean never decide the outcome of a game and they did just that yesterday

Reaction Score
Can someone post a link to it? I've looked on UConn+, on YouTube, and just googled it and I can't find it. That was such a frustrating finish. It would be somewhat satisfying to see Mora ream them out on it.

Is this it?

Reaction Score
The coaches need to work on Evers’ mechanics. He throws such a flat ball. When he’s rushed he short arms his throws and guys are trying to catch balls from their knees. There were more than a handful of drives that were a bad throw away from moving the chains.
They also need to be checking the weight room logs to make sure that Welliver has been doing the work. And maybe his calorific intake. to make sure he is putting on the muscle mass. I am guessing that by this stage mechanics are what they will be. Too much muscle memory doing it the wrong way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom