Vance is Transferring | Page 27 | The Boneyard

Vance is Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
......In Vance's case, he thought he should be more than just a standstill 3 point shooter. And maybe he is right. He does have more skills than that but those skills are not tight enough to be a DHam type which is what I think they wanted.

As far as his Dad's comments, he's not wrong and we have been complaining about it all year.

Maybe he could have been better utilized this year, but he was a 50-100 ranked freshman who frankly was lucky to get more that 10-15 min of time this year. He was not going to be the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th scoring option before the injuries, and he barely moved up to maybe the 4th option after them. What did he and his father expect, that they would be running plays more than occasionally (if ever) for a 50-100 ranked freshman, and with suspect defense? I think KOs and fans expectations were that he would be a 4yr player with the potential to be one of the top 3 contributors by his 3rd and 4th years. If he and his father had the patience and reasonable expectations, I think he would have been a great player for us, but they apparently did not.

That said, I still suspect there is more to it than just this.....

Reaction Score
Wrong. Actually JC let the players use social media, including twitter.

I'm sure he did. However- if he caught wind of players cryptically tweeting out their emotions about the program. I bet he would have none of it. Someone would be getting a phone call to tell these players to stop with the emotionally invested tweets about the basketball program.

Reaction Score
I bring this back to the numbers game. Vance looked like he was g0ing to be a real key player for UConn, but what he didn't know when he committed last year is that Terry Larrier is a great athlete who can do it all. Coming back from an ACL is very tough, but AJ Price did it and looked fantastic his senior year. Vance would have gotten playing time even some alongside Larrier, but he wasn't going to be the man.

Cobb/Carlton
Durham/Diarra
Larrier/Polley
Jalen/Vital
Alterique/MAL

I'm guessing that when Larrier isn't in the game, UConn is going to go to 3 guards. It may even discover that the best lineup is with Durham at center, 3 guards and Larrier.

If Vance thought he had a good chance of competing against Larrier, he would have stayed. I'm not buying this talk of Vance not fitting Ollie's system.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I ring this back to the numbers game. Vance looked like he was g0ing to be a real key player for UConn, but what he didn't know when he committed last year is that Terry Larrier is a great athlete who can do it all. Coming back from an ACL is very tough, but AJ Price did it and looked fantastic his senior year. Vance would have gotten playing time even some alongside Larrier, but he wasn't going to be the man.

Cobb/Carlton
Durham/Diarra
Larrier/Polley
Jalen/Vital
Alterique/MAL

I'm guessing that when Larrier isn't in the game, UConn is going to go to 3 guards. It may even discover that the best lineup is with Durham at center, 3 guards and Larrier.

If Vance thought he had a good chance of competing against Larrier, he would have stayed. I'm not buying this talk of Vance not fitting Ollie's system.

Look -- kid wasn't team first, so he's left, fine. But I think you are underestimating his importance. Heading into next year, I think the most likely projection was that Vance was going to be not a #4 but the #4, with everyone taller than him fighting to divide the 40 minutes at Center. That would leave Larrier, Gilbert and Adams starting on the perimeter, with minutes off the bench for MAL and Vital, and Larrier sliding to a stretch 4 when Vance was out.

If I were Vance's father, I would assume that the minutes would be there for him. But I would take them at their word, both during the season and now. He didn't want to be a third or fourth option offensively. He wanted the offense to exploit what he could do. And that wasn't happening here anytime soon.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
At least I have my priorities straight. I think his Hawk stands for Iowa Hawkeyes but I'm not positive. Kansas and Iowa are diagonally opposed, is that good enough?

Only in threaded view:

HuskyHawk blah ahb hah bla habls
HawkHusky wah wah wah waaah

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Look -- kid wasn't team first, so he's left, fine. But I think you are underestimating his importance. Heading into next year, I think the most likely projection was that Vance was going to be not a #4 but the #4, with everyone taller than him fighting to divide the 40 minutes at Center. That would leave Larrier, Gilbert and Adams starting on the perimeter, with minutes off the bench for MAL and Vital, and Larrier sliding to a stretch 4 when Vance was out.

If I were Vance's father, I would assume that the minutes would be there for him. But I would take them at their word, both during the season and now. He didn't want to be a third of fourth option offensively. He wanted the offense to exploit what he could do. And that wasn't happening here anytime soon.

While you are not wrong, I'd bet there was going to be a relatively even competition between Vance and Durham at the 4.

Reaction Score
I'm sure he did. However- if he caught wind of players cryptically tweeting out their emotions about the program. I bet he would have none of it. Someone would be getting a phone call to tell these players to stop with the emotionally invested tweets about the basketball program.

I feel like its not about the program though, they wouldnt make negative tweets referring to the program. It looks more like drama between the players... seems like some of the more veteran players didn't get along with Vance... especially considering even Brimah got involved on twitter yesterday.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Expected?Seriously how do you mean. I haven't finished reading this thread ye,.This is nuts. I am stunned.

There was grumblings from Vance and Pops throughout the season. Bunch of deleted tweets etc.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I bring this back to the numbers game. Vance looked like he was g0ing to be a real key player for UConn, but what he didn't know when he committed last year is that Terry Larrier is a great athlete who can do it all. Coming back from an ACL is very tough, but AJ Price did it and looked fantastic his senior year. Vance would have gotten playing time even some alongside Larrier, but he wasn't going to be the man.

Cobb/Carlton
Durham/Diarra
Larrier/Polley
Jalen/Vital
Alterique/MAL

More importantly, because Larrier got hurt, he added one year of overlap to Vance's career. Now all 4 years would be up against Larrier for minutes.

Reaction Score
I feel like its not about the program though, they wouldnt make negative tweets referring to the program. It looks more like drama between the players... seems like some of the more veteran players didn't get along with Vance... especially considering even Brimah got involved on twitter yesterday.

All part of the program. Sucks to see emotions coming out publicly. Thats all. Keep it in house. Talk amongst yourselves. Don't let the world know that you didn't like the guy whose transferring. Because the program gets affected, even if it is personal gripes with teammates.

Reaction Score
Some good video of the 3 new incoming freshmen here: A look at the UConn men’s basketball recruiting class: 2017-18

My take for anyone who cares: Disclaimer if you don't care and fancy yourself as an expert on everything just move on and save yourself the time in analyzing how of-base my analysis is.

MAL - Will be a good 15-20 minute guy keeping both AG and JA fresh next year with little drop-off when they hit the bench or get in foul trouble a big plus over the options KO was left with in such situations this year.

Polley - I've heard some DHam- Deandre Daniels comparisons, but as I watched the video I kept getting flashbacks to Rip Hamilton particularly the way he smoothly finishes at the rim on the break. Not enough video of him shooting to see if his touch and off the ball movement is close to Rip's, but physically and how he finishes he's very similar. I was pleasantly surprised - my guess is he will force himself into getting some major minutes and have some nice scoring games for us.

Carlton - Not a lot of video, but some good points can be drawn from it. He clearly has some understanding of offensive positioning, he has good hands for a big (always a plus), he has good body control attacking the rim, it's unclear how well he boxes out or protects the rim, but he's aggressive to the ball. My guess he will be a useful interior presence next year and not just by default. The soundness of the fundamentals I could pick up on seem to indicate he will be more then adequate in filling minutes for us at the 5 or 4.

Cobb - Not on video in the link above, but I've watched him play and supposedly he has slimmed down some but I think the number one thing he will bring to us is some interior toughness - how many productive minutes he will be able to give us per night playing with 4 jets most of the time remains to be seem, but he is a necessary piece we have been lacking the last several years.

Hopefully more to come, now that Chillious is on board!

Reaction Score
More importantly, because Larrier got hurt, he added one year of overlap to Vance's career. Now all 4 years would be up against Larrier for minutes.
Is this true? Some people say Larrier will be a JR. others still a SO? Anybody know definitively?

Reaction Score
It gives me no pleasure to say I told anyone so.... but i did. The sinking ship falls all on the 3 million dollar a year captain. I came to the board this year for one reason only and that was to bring light to the incompetence Ollie has shown over the past two years and leading into this year with two horrific loses. I was ridiculed by the BY.

As Ollie's third season of complete disaster took place i saw the BY turning, not the majority but some fans started to wake up. But even i couldn't have predicted Ollie could be this bad.

I know the faithful go back to 2014, we're three seasons removed and Ollie has been the most overpaid under performing coach in the NCAA. The sample size is now much bigger that hes clueless than it is hes a championship level coach. Without Calhoun and his players this guys got nothing.

I don't get caught up in these two players leaving because with KO as the coach they weren't going to accomplish anything anyways. These kids made the right decision leaving KO, to find a coach who might make them better and actually has a game plan, maybe even make an in game adjustment.

Although i didn't agree with it, I understood Ollie getting one more year to show his incompetency, but after these current disasters off the court THE TIME IS NOW TO FIRE OLLIE AND HIT THE RESTART BUTTON..

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
If being spoiled is wanting a winning, relevant program with a competent coach.... Then yes I'm spoiled.

Please tell me what Ollie is good at?
Recruiting

Reaction Score
My understanding is he'll be a junior next year, but if he were to ask for the 6th year of eligibility he would get it

This is my understanding as well. I'd be very surprised if he plays for more than 2 years anyway so probably a moot point.

Reaction Score
One winter in Storrs will do it to the Cali guys
th

Reaction Score
It gives me no pleasure to say I told anyone so.... but i did. The sinking ship falls all on the 3 million dollar a year captain. I came to the board this year for one reason only and that was to bring light to the incompetence Ollie has shown over the past two years and leading into this year with two horrific loses. I was ridiculed by the BY.

As Ollie's third season of complete disaster took place i saw the BY turning, not the majority but some fans started to wake up. But even i couldn't have predicted Ollie could be this bad.

I know the faithful go back to 2014, we're three seasons removed and Ollie has been the most overpaid under performing coach in the NCAA. The sample size is now much bigger that hes clueless than it is hes a championship level coach. Without Calhoun and his players this guys got nothing.

I don't get caught up in these two players leaving because with KO as the coach they weren't going to accomplish anything anyways. These kids made the right decision leaving KO, to find a coach who might make them better and actually has a game plan, maybe even make an in game adjustment.

Although i didn't agree with it, I understood Ollie getting one more year to show his incompetency, but after these current disasters off the court THE TIME IS NOW TO FIRE OLLIE AND HIT THE RESTART BUTTON..

Thank you for sharing Mrs. Calipari

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog