Vance is Transferring | Page 29 | The Boneyard

Vance is Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There's a difference between having a reputation as a guard-oriented offense and "unless you handle the ball, don't bother".

Those who are leaving -- or not coming in the first place -- are starting to imply the latter.

we went into the post a lot this year and it usually resulted in bad shots or turnovers. Can we do a better job of getting the bigs the ball in more ideal positions to score than isolation post ups? Yes, definitely. But Ollie did try to go through the bigs a lot this year..too much in my opinion.

Reaction Score
we went into the post a lot this year and it usually resulted in bad shots or turnovers. Can we do a better job of getting the bigs the ball in more ideal positions to score than isolation post ups? Yes, definitely. But Ollie did try to go through the bigs a lot this year..too much in my opinion.

I don't disagree.

The concern isn't about whether our offense is actually too guard-oriented. It's about whether this program is being saddled with the reputation of being somewhere that big-man careers go to die.

Reaction Score
Absolutely not a loss IMO, good riddance.. He's the type of player who is ruining America.. Silver spoon with family in his ear telling him he's a lottery pick, utterly delusional.

America is being ruined?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
To be fair, by "they" I think he means "the AAC leadership", as in "the AAC leadership decides to have the AACT hosted in Hartford most years".

Both sides of this debate have some merit.

Yes, KO has overperformed seeding in the AACT and NCAAT with some regularity. But our seeding has also been horrendous compared to where it should be, based on consistently underachieving in the regular season.

In terms of giving him credit, it's at best a wash.

Not a wash imo. Post season results matter far more than regular season. If somebody has a middling regular season, gets in the NCAA, and then wins the whole thing. MASSIVE credit to the players and coach. Far outweighing any negative due the regular season result.

That said, I'd like to win the league every year.

Reaction Score
Look, he clearly doesn't want to be here and that sucks, but all the hot takes about how he's a selfish quitter who is pampered and can't handle adversity paints our fan base in a pretty bad light.

It's easy to rave about how "you weren't raised that way" and such on a message board, but ultimately it's a world governed by self-interest and it always has been. "We" is an extension I and people bickering about the value of their roles and opinions certainly shouldn't be new to anybody on this message board. We can dislike the fact that he transferred. Dislike him, even, if you want. I just don't see the decision of a college basketball player to transfer as some indictment on his character, especially when Purvis is being presented as a counter-point. Y'all are mad he doesn't want to play for your school, let's leave it at that.

Reaction Score
Find your LinkedIn page? That would be mildly creepy, kind of like joining a message board solely for the purpose of disparaging someone.

I agree that's creepy, but you made it personal not me. Thought you may be interested so wanted you to get your comments straight.

My purpose isn't to just to be disparaging to Ollie but for UConn to be "great again". I currently cant see that happening with Ollie here. If you've noticed I don't come on here and attack college players. UConn has a coach making 3 million a year, he needs to be held accountable. This board for the most part just seems to give him a pass.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I agree that's creepy, but you made it personal not me. Thought you may be interested so wanted you to get your comments straight.

My purpose isn't to just to be disparaging to Ollie but for UConn to be "great again". I currently cant see that happening with Ollie here. If you've noticed I don't come on here and attack college players. UConn has a coach making 3 million a year, he needs to be held accountable. This board for the most part just seems to give him a pass.

I love how there's tons of new posters coming out of the woodwork to tell us were not holding Ollie accountable... Christ almighty... all this board does is hold Ollie accountable. I've heard every possible variation of holding Ollie accountable. We don't need any more people on here telling us to hold Ollie accountable. :rolleyes:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I currently cant see that happening with Ollie here. If you've noticed I don't come on here and attack college players. UConn has a coach making 3 million a year, he needs to be held accountable. This board for the most part just seems to give him a pass.

Nah, we just understand that there's always context with these things.

One thing you guys do is look at Ollie as static, when he couldn't possibly have more growth ahead of him than he does now. You say, he isn't a good game coach (he proved that wrong in 2014, but leaving that aside); the results in the regular season haven't been great. He needs work there. But he's such a young coach, that he has a ton of room to grow. And with better players, I expect him to. Why wouldn't you? You think his growth curve is flat?

Reaction Score

Without a doubt the worst season ive experienced in my nearly 30 years watching this team.

Reaction Score

Did you just find the board after the season or something? There have been like 3 threads a week for the last year and half ripping on KO

If anything it's the opposite, and many people on this board should quit being such *insert filtered word*

Reaction Score
Not that it's a surprise or anything different but I just heard from a reliable source out west that Vance's father is every bit as bad as the BY perceives him to be. Said Vance is an immature kid and his high school career was like the LaVar Ball mess this season with his two younger sons - the father would be pseudo-coaching from the front row of the stands, screaming at Vance all game. The father would constantly be yapping at him about me-first things. Said he'd be shocked if his father wasn't in his ear to transfer since November, as soon as Pops realized that Vance wasn't going to be the focal point of the team - and that Vance's next stop probably will not be the final stop of his college career.

Basically his father thinks Vance is God's gift to basketball and any program he plays for. Sounds like alarms should have gone off during the recruiting process but maybe KO thought it wouldn't be an issue since his father was 3,000 miles away. Stings to lose a talented kid but the program is definitely going to be better off without him.

C

chiller99.5

Starting to look like some backwash from the AAC board floated aboard

Reaction Score
Not that it's a surprise or anything different but I just heard from a reliable source out west that Vance's father is every bit as bad as the BY perceives him to be. Said Vance is an immature kid and his high school career was like the LaVar Ball mess this season with his two younger sons - the father would be pseudo-coaching from the front row of the stands, screaming at Vance all game. The father would constantly be yapping at him about me-first things. Said he'd be shocked if his father wasn't in his ear to transfer since November, as soon as Pops realized that Vance wasn't going to be the focal point of the team - and that Vance's next stop probably will not be the final stop of his college career.

Basically his father thinks Vance is God's gift to basketball and any program he plays for. Sounds like alarms should have gone off during the recruiting process but maybe KO thought it wouldn't be an issue since his father was 3,000 miles away. Stings to lose a talented kid but the program is definitely going to be better off without him.
Until @superjohn mentioned it recently, I completely forgot that dad quit his job to become Vance's trainer back when Vance was still in high school. Once you realize that, dad's quotes and actions make much more sense.

Reaction Score
sounds like a horrible situation for Vance...maybe he chose to move 3000 miles away because of it...

Also, makes me wonder if geno's latest two rants were related. He hasn't personally had a kid on his team like that in a while...

Reaction Score
Did you just find the board after the season or something? There have been like 3 threads a week for the last year and half ripping on KO

If anything it's the opposite, and many people on this board should quit being such *insert filtered word*

That's fair, maybe its just the KO lovers that respond to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom