Vance is Transferring | Page 28 | The Boneyard

Vance is Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe he could have been better utilized this year, but he was a 50-100 ranked freshman who frankly was lucky to get more that 10-15 min of time this year. He was not going to be the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th scoring option before the injuries, and he barely moved up to maybe the 4th option after them. What did he and his father expect, that they would be running plays more than occasionally (if ever) for a 50-100 ranked freshman, and with suspect defense? I think KOs and fans expectations were that he would be a 4yr player with the potential to be one of the top 3 contributors by his 3rd and 4th years. If he and his father had the patience and reasonable expectations, I think he would have been a great player for us, but they apparently did not.

That said, I still suspect there is more to it than just this.....

Oh the kid and parent are definitely out of line. But I do see where they are coming from. Our offense has for years been a stud point guard who breaks down a defense and makes plays. Kemba perfected it in 2011, 'Bazz took a few years to get it right but then obviously perfected it, Boat took over for a year, DHam did it out of necessity, and now Jalen. We used to run some really nice stuff but for the most part that stopped the last couple of years. Some of that is certainly, personnel, but I still maintain that this team was far more talented than what we saw. I'm not advocating that Vance should have had the ball in his hands as a primary facilitator/scorer, but I think he was probably our 2nd or 3rd best player with the ball in his hands and those opportunities seemed to dwindle more and more in favor of a high screen roll for either Jalen or Purv.

As far as there being more here, I'm sure there is... It did not seem like our seniors were overly upset that he was leaving. Given his social media "presence," I could surmise (and it's unfair to do so) that he may have been a bit more about himself. Remember his commitment announcement? Then the dad's view of Miller and it seems that there was some dissension behind the scenes regarding the kid. And it really does suck that he's going for no other reason than the "Dagger Vance" nickname was pretty sweet. I hope he becomes as good as his dad seems to think he should be.

I said this during the Diallo recruitment, but watch how we play and then watch Kentucky. Style of play alone, there was no reason for him to ever come here.

Reaction Score
Very true about Diallo. Also I have noted several times here that our offense generally consists of whoever can take his man one on one before the shot clock expires. Our ball rotation and movement without the ball is horrendous. Of course I get killed for being a hater, etc. but it's true. I have one of the UConn/SMU games DVR'ed and the contrast between the offenses is not only night and day - it's literally the difference between winning and losing most nights. As much as I love and appreciated his guts and effort there were many times Purvis just sat on the wing in the same spot an entire possession waiting for the chance to shoot a way too deep contested 3.

Reaction Score
Please tell me what Ollie is good at?
Winning in post-season tournaments.

He needs to get better at keeping the whole year strong, but the dude has gotten the best out of his team whenever it has mattered. As a 5-seed he made the AAC Finals, then won the NCAAs as a 7. As a 6-seed he made the AAC Finals and might have won if it weren't for a Boatright injury. As a 5 seed he won the AACT, and that year won a game in the NCAAT as a 9-seed. This year he won two games in the AACT (semifinals) despite having about 6.5 healthy players.

NCAAT Record: 7-1 (1 title)
AACT Record: 10-3 (1 title, 2 finals)

We can debate whether or not he should have only 2 NCAA appearances in 4 eligible seasons (he should have at least one more, I think), and you can debate whether or not he should have better regular seasons going forward (he should).

But his teams perform their best in the brightest lights. And that's something he's been good at for 4 years.

Reaction Score
If that's the case then you have some pretty serious issues, two of which are lack of a job and a social life.
Easy to make a blanket statement that both carry no truth or facts behind them. Maybe you need to look at yourself for those issues. If you really want you can find my LinkedIn page.

Reaction Score
Very true about Diallo. Also I have noted several times here that our offense generally consists of whoever can take his man one on one before the shot clock expires. Our ball rotation and movement without the ball is horrendous. Of course I get killed for being a hater, etc. but it's true. I have one of the UConn/SMU games DVR'ed and the contrast between the offenses is not only night and day - it's literally the difference between winning and losing most nights. As much as I love and appreciated his guts and effort there were many times Purvis just sat on the wing in the same spot an entire possession waiting for the chance to shoot a way too deep contested 3.

Agreed 100%. Our offensive sets have been really bad under Ollie...but they actually weren't great our last couple years with JC either. Even when we won the natty in 2014, we scored a ton of points with a bad offensive set and Shabazz or Boat bailing us out with a long jumper.

Reaction Score
Winning in post-season tournaments.

He needs to get better at keeping the whole year strong, but the dude has gotten the best out of his team whenever it has mattered. As a 5-seed he made the AAC Finals, then won the NCAAs as a 7. As a 6-seed he made the AAC Finals and might have won if it weren't for a Boatright injury. As a 5 seed he won the AACT, and that year won a game in the NCAAT as a 9-seed. This year he won two games in the AACT (semifinals) despite having about 6.5 healthy players.

NCAAT Record: 7-1 (1 title)
AACT Record: 10-3 (1 title, 2 finals)

We can debate whether or not he should have only 2 NCAA appearances in 4 eligible seasons (he should have at least one more, I think), and you can debate whether or not he should have better regular seasons going forward (he should).

But his teams perform their best in the brightest lights. And that's something he's been good at for 4 years.

You brought up some good points, most of which go back to 2014 (based on performance since you have to wonder how he did it).

You want to give him credit for winning AAC tournament (SMU which owns him was held out of tournament).... ok. But giving credit doing it as a 5 seed???? Just proves how much of an underachiever he is in the regular season.

Reaction Score
You brought up some good points, most of which go back to 2014 (based on performance since you have to wonder how he did it).

You want to give him credit for winning AAC tournament (SMU which owns him was held out of tournament).... ok. But giving credit doing it as a 5 seed???? Just proves how much of an underachiever he is in the regular season.
He's consistently gone through tougher roads--both in the NCAAs and in the AACT--and that matters.

But, as I'm sure you noted, I also pointed out that he should be docked for having worse regular seasons than I think he should.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Never

Really? I even picked one out just for you

oehuqf-clown.jpg

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That's not the sun. That is the glowing aura around Raphael Chillious as he arrived in CT and saves this board from certain self-destruction and madness.

Who needs the sun when you have chili?

Reaction Score
Really? I even picked one out just for you

oehuqf-clown.jpg
This is what are current coach looks like as hes getting beat by Wagner, Northeastern, and ECU. Not mention Temple and Houston have passed us as better teams in the AAC.

Reaction Score
He's consistently gone through tougher roads--both in the NCAAs and in the AACT--and that matters.

But, as I'm sure you noted, I also pointed out that he should be docked for having worse regular seasons than I think he should.
Is there really a tough road in the AAC? Not to mention they play the AACT at home every other year.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
This is what are current coach looks like as hes getting beat by Wagner, Northeastern, and ECU. Not mention Temple and Houston have passed us as better teams in the AAC.

Cool you can sub it for your avi then.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

You mean like 2011 being a nine seed in the BET? Damn right you get credit.

Reaction Score
Absolutely not a loss IMO, good riddance.. He's the type of player who is ruining America.. Silver spoon with family in his ear telling him he's a lottery pick, utterly delusional.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I do not believe that. If another program that was well run had multiple players transferring I think the players would get a message from the staff that says do not publicly discuss this on any social media outlet. Apparently these kids are doing "Instagram Live's" and saying stupid stuff as well.

Look- I'm all for social media, thats the way the world is going nowadays...but I just have to believe that there are programs out there that have a handle on their kids social media when something negative like this happens to the program.

Professionals (some) act stupid on social media, but they're being paid and honestly, probably makes the NBA more money by tweeting out drama. But you can't encourage kids from a college program, where recruits are following them etc. to be "tweeting through" their emotions. It's just not a good look.
Coach K has actually publicaly stated that he has banned twitter use by his players.

Reaction Score
Coach K has actually publicaly stated that he has banned twitter use by his players.
Maybe he did at one point but Tatum and Kennard have been tweeting all season this year so doesn't look like that's true anymore

Reaction Score
You said "they." You meant to pretend you meant "we."

You're welcome.

To be fair, by "they" I think he means "the AAC leadership", as in "the AAC leadership decides to have the AACT hosted in Hartford most years".

Both sides of this debate have some merit.

Yes, KO has overperformed seeding in the AACT and NCAAT with some regularity. But our seeding has also been horrendous compared to where it should be, based on consistently underachieving in the regular season.

In terms of giving him credit, it's at best a wash.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
There was grumblings from Vance and Pops throughout the season. Bunch of deleted tweets etc.
Thanks for the info. How I missed it during the season I will never know. Maybe because I don't do tweets or social media. Wonder what they were complaining about. Freshman who was not slated to start, gets a break, makes good. Improved with each game(yes freshman stuff) but to be sure it would of been ironed out. Shame Dad gets in the way. Isn't the Ball son and dad the same way? Again thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom