Vance is Transferring | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Vance is Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's true - he lead the conference in 3-point fg percentage. He also missed waaaayyy too many open jumpers at key points of games...shots that, if scored, could have helped change the outcome. A good shooter knocks those shots down. He's not a good shooter.

I appreciate the effort to convince yourself that isn't a loss, but you should probably stop.

Reaction Score
It's true - he lead the conference in 3-point fg percentage. He also missed waaaayyy too many open jumpers at key points of games...shots that, if scored, could have helped change the outcome. A good shooter knocks those shots down. He's not a good shooter.

Good luck with that argument. The truth is in the percentages. Not your gut feeling.

Vance's lack of athleticism hurt him offensively as well. He can't create off the dribble. On a good team, Vance sees 15-18 mins tops. He is a rotational player. I could easily project that his best year will be this past year due to forced playing time. I don't see how him leaving(or Enoch) greatly impacts next year. I think this sky is falling mentality shows more than anything how bad this team really is.

He showed a little more off the bounce that I actually thought he would. He can pump fake and plays with a level of composure. He will be a starter at a good D1 school. His upside will likely depend on him gaining strength so he can defend the 4. I am not really worried about how he impacts us long term and he obviously doesn't fit KO's defensive scheme. but I think he will have a good career somewhere.

There is a lot of talent on the roster. The sky falling mentality isn't really apparent if the storm is actually over and if that's how someone feels, its on them.

Reaction Score
Bummer. I think Vance would have been a great player in Ollie's system ironically. Thanks for a nice freshman year and good luck wherever your life may take you.
Yep, I always thought we were going to play small ball this year and needed shooters and I thought Vance would be a perfect 4 in this system. This one hurts but it seems he didn't want to be here. SE I think we can live without but VJ would have been an integral player especially since he had a year under his belts and was on the freshman AAC All Rookie team.

Reaction Score
Boneyarder 1: "We need to recruit guys with higher basketball IQ, rather than athletic guys who were soccer players until three years ago. "

Boneyarder 2: "Agree. And we need to recruit some big guys that can shoot."

Boneyarder 1: "Hey, did you hear Vance is transferring?

Boneyarder 2: "Yeah, no big loss. He wasn't athletic enough and airballed that one shot vs SMU."

Boneyarder 1: "Agree. He sucks. His style of play doesn't fit what we're trying to do here."

Reaction Score
Yep, I always thought we were going to play small ball this year and needed shooters and I thought Vance would be a perfect 4 in this system. This one hurts but it seems he didn't want to be here. SE I think we can live without but VJ would have been an integral player especially since he had a year under his belts and was on the freshman AAC All Rookie team.
Yes, I kind of figured he might actually start at the 4 next year. That may be why it wasn't the best place to "showcase his talents" or whatever.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I guess pops wasn't satisfied with anything less than 1st Team All-Conference.

Reaction Score
Disappointed

What a bunch of freaking whiny babies in the Boneyard

Agreed. Vance was a freshman 3000 miles away from home and if you don't give him a break and look at his up side you are crazy. Maybe he would not have gotten better but given his age, a year under his belt would have let us seen how good he could be. We are not getting that year. Thanks to Vance for coming here and giving it a shot.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Yes, I kind of figured he might actually start at the 4 next year. That may be why it wasn't the best place to "showcase his talents" or whatever.
I love when people say, "I'm taking my talents to ABC University." I always visualize the kid packing them in his luggage....

Reaction Score
Good point even though I think the two forward positions would have been interchangeable.

Reaction Score

I'm not sure if you know how shooting percentage works, but it's a percentage of 3 point shots you make overall, in every minute played a guy is on the court. It's not just the shots where we really could have used a basket (he hit plenty of those, by the way). Even Shabazz and Kemba missed plenty in hot spots, and they're like deities on here.

Vance was the most accurate shooter in the AAC. that's just the reality. "Best" shooter is debatable, because of limited attempts. But he was FACTUALLY the most accurate shooter in the AAC.

He will be missed, and I wish him nothing but the best. He's not badmouthing the university, even his father is just saying he wants a different playing style. No big deal.

We will replace him.

Reaction Score

C'mon, dude. Now you just sound silly.

Reaction Score
Good point even though I think the two forward positions would have been interchangeable.

That's what I don't understand.

Did Vance really think the DeAndre Daniels role was insufficient to showcase his talents?

Reaction Score
I love when people say, "I'm taking my talents to ABC University." I always visualize the kid packing them in his luggage....
Are you allowed to carry your talents on or do you have to check them?

Reaction Score
Good luck with that argument. The truth is in the percentages. Not your gut feeling

And those "percentages" won how many games for the Huskies this year?

While you're trying to cobble together some kind of analytic response, I'll let my eyes tell me what's up. They haven't failed me yet.

Reaction Score
Good luck with that argument. The truth is in the percentages. Not your gut feeling.

He showed a little more off the bounce that I actually thought he would. He can pump fake and plays with a level of composure. He will be a starter at a good D1 school. His upside will likely depend on him gaining strength so he can defend the 4. I am not really worried about how he impacts us long term and he obviously doesn't fit KO's defensive scheme. but I think he will have a good career somewhere.

There is a lot of talent on the roster. The sky falling mentality isn't really apparent if the storm is actually over and if that's how someone feels, its on them.
True. Depending on the school he chooses, he can be a d-1 starter. I just don't think he would be a starter at UConn.

Reaction Score

Think that's a good spot. Team that has an emphasis on offense and bigs that can shoot. Won't be too worried about his defense unlike KO. Will use him in the stretch 4 role. Though that's probably what he would have been here.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That's what I don't understand.

Did Vance really think the DeAndre Daniels role was insufficient to showcase his talents?

Might have been like Roscoe. A college 4 who wants to be three instead.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
This was kind of known for a while. Vance is a good kid and a nice player but Vance Sr. thinks he's the next Lamar Odom.

Yeah, as big a contributor as he may have become, it's probably not worth having a guy on the team that Mr. Calhoun would say has a "whack job" parent filling his head with nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom