Vance is Transferring | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Vance is Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know it's spring and it's still hovering around 40-50 degrees but in a few weeks we will hope the weather gets better, Stairmaster

Reaction Score
I hope he's right for a few reasons.

First, because I think CV and JD are really important to the future of the program.

Second, because he has real connections to KO, and if he's wrong that means KO might not have the right pulse on his players.

The part you mention that if Oz is wrong could mean KO may not have the right pulse on his players worries me more than the transfers. BUT, if the transfers are indeed over, then maybe KO had that pulse and "losing" Enoch and Jackson were part of a larger plan.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The more and more I read the more I have to admit although losing someone like VJ will hurt at first I think he can be replaced. So many players and parents now a days are to worried about there own box score not the teams wins and loses. Kids need to realize that not everyone can be "Kemba". Some need to be roll players. It takes a full team to win but not everyone can be in the spotlight. I hope some of the guys that are being mentioned as possible transfers really look in the mirror. Because none are going to be superstars but can help Uconn get better. So many kids now are pre madonna's and don't understand what it means to work through adversity and work harder to make things better without quitting. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.
The prima donna syndrome is everywhere. Just read people in this forum.

Reaction Score
Guess we have to wait and see which "insider" is right. I trust Oz, though.

Attachments

• IMG_3345.PNG
    IMG_3345.PNG
    133.7 KB · Views: 283

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I know it's spring and it's still hovering around 40-50 degrees but in a few weeks we will hope the weather gets better, Stairmaster
It's called sarcasm. He was imitating the poster he was responding to.

Reaction Score
Guess we have to wait and see which "insider" is right. I trust Oz, though.
Yeah, again, if this is true, we're in pretty good shape. Lot of work to be done to right the ship, since the current roster sans Rodney, Amida, Facey, VJ, and SE isn't going to cut it (though in some ways I think it would be a better 1-7 and probably get a winning record), but the future looks better today than it did yesterday.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Clear and developing pattern...are you referring to your neurotic pessimism that's continuously caused you to jump to the worst possible conclusion whenever news about the program breaks over the entirety of the 2 and a half years I've been a member here? Anyone with a brain is concerned about the state of the roster, the one returning player taller than 6'2'' is coming off of a torn ACL and has nothing but unproven JUCOs and freshmen behind him. The different between a sane person and a chicken little is that you seem to be absolutely certain that this is a fatal blow for the program as a whole and that there is no coming back, that Ollie has to be canned immediately, or whatever inane crap is being spewed these days. I think things will turn around at some point, but even I'm not as sure of that as you and your crew seem to be about this program being dead.

As far as me being "wrong?" Impossible to prove at this point in time. Your point of view, on the other hand, doesn't seem to mesh with the notion of bringing a guy like Chillious onto the staff. Surely if there were as much inner turmoil as your tinfoil hat tells you there is, any competent assistant would stay the hell away from Storrs.
Fatal blow? If you think me and others expressing concern means that we think this is the last basketball UConn will ever play then you are dumber than I thought.

You play the same card every time we have this discussion. You use hyperbole to make it seem like the events played out differently.

This is a GD message board to discuss UConn basketball. If we can't discuss the impact of two major transfers at a time when the program is reeling here then where can we? And then to play it off like we think this is a fatal blow and that's where we are wrong is just laughable. No, this isn't a fatal blow, but this is a ship accelerating its course that it had set about two years now. Is it the end, no. But large objects take a while to change course, and if you can see patterns developing that are concerning they deserve to be discussed ON THE UCONN MESSAGE BOARD AND FORUM.

tinfoil hats, fatal blow. The character assassination technique in the face of criticism is very zen of you.

Reaction Score
, you're not losing Ray Allen here. You're losing a prospecty wing who can shoot on occasion and then look totally lost at others. You also lost a big man that hadn't developed a shred and are in 'danger' of losing a kid with two knee injuries, is built like a pipe cleaner and could barely grab minutes on the worst UConn team in 30 years.

Especially with Jackson - if that's how his family feels, than Adios. It's the program dodging a bullet. It's GAINING the chance to not have to deal with that. The players' reactions to the decision should tell you everything you need to know about the situation. Talent is nice in college basketball and Vance certainly has that - but there are a lot of really, really good college basketball players - and a whole truckload of them who are better now - than he is.

Cut all the fat out. Get rid of the whiners. Get rid of the complainers. Get rid of the 'me' guys. Rip it all out. People should be *happy* this is happening, not the other way arond.

Reaction Score
, you're not losing Ray -ing Allen here. You're losing a prospecty wing who can shoot on occasion and then look totally lost at others. You also lost a big man that hadn't developed a shred and are in 'danger' of losing a kid with two knee injuries, is built like a pipe cleaner and could barely grab minutes on the worst UConn team in 30 years.

Especially with Jackson - if that's how his family feels, than Adios. It's the program dodging a bullet. It's GAINING the chance to not have to deal with that. The players' reactions to the decision should tell you everything you need to know about the situation. Talent is nice in college basketball and Vance certainly has that - but there are a lot of really, really good college basketball players - and a whole truckload of them who are better now - than he is.

Cut all the fat out. Get rid of the whiners. Get rid of the complainers. Get rid of the 'me' guys. Rip it all out. People should be *happy* this is happening, not the other way arond.

I'm not worried about the players themselves, per se. It's the idea that there is a ton of playing time to go around and they're still choosing to leave. If It's just those two it won't be the end of the world. The staff has a good chance to upgrade here and turn two negatives into two positives

Reaction Score
I'm not worried about the players themselves, per se. It's the idea that there is a ton of playing time to go around and they're still choosing to leave. If It's just those two it won't be the end of the world. The staff has a good chance to upgrade here and turn two negatives into two positives

I'd argue the opposite of that. If there's plenty of playing time to go around and it's still not enough - then they can't leave fast enough.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
This doesn't get enough attention, and I think it's really important. Geno said the following on one of his SNY shows one time, and it always stuck with me:

"For us, one of the hardest things for us to identify in recruiting is: do we want these parents in our program, yes or no. Sometimes it's not even do we want that kid in our program. Sometimes the kid's not a bad kid. Do we want these parents in our program? And you'd be surprised how many times we say, 'no, we don't.'"

Now, by no means am I suggesting that Kevin's overall recruiting strategy can, or even should, mirror Geno's—they operate in different worlds. I'm saying only that one important factor, to the extent it's predictable, ideally should be the likelihood of parental interference in the program. The wrong parent(s) can cause a lot of problems, and a given recruit may or may not be worth that added trouble.
And it took Geno a while to figure it out and learn the warning signs.

Reaction Score
I'd argue the opposite of that. If there's plenty of playing time to go around and it's still not enough - then they can't leave fast enough.
Also, clearly this Chillious thing has been in the pipeline for a while. @SirHypeAlot broke it 5 days ago and KO notified Miller right after the AACT I believe. He wasn't doing that without a plan--he knew he had Chillious. Which means he probably believes he has a few other recruits coming in, and that might have been somewhat communicated in meetings.

Reaction Score

Unless there are biggers issues, if not then I agree. Or it's just two dads poisoning their kids minds.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Also, clearly this Chillious thing has been in the pipeline for a while. @SirHypeAlot broke it 5 days ago and KO notified Miller right after the AACT I believe. He wasn't doing that without a plan--he knew he had Chillious. Which means he probably believes he has a few other recruits coming in, and that might have been somewhat communicated in meetings.
Me likey this conspiracy theory.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Clear and developing pattern...are you referring to your neurotic pessimism that's continuously caused you to jump to the worst possible conclusion whenever news about the program breaks over the entirety of the 2 and a half years I've been a member here? Anyone with a brain is concerned about the state of the roster, the one returning player taller than 6'2'' is coming off of a torn ACL and has nothing but unproven JUCOs and freshmen behind him. The different between a sane person and a chicken little is that you seem to be absolutely certain that this is a fatal blow for the program as a whole and that there is no coming back, that Ollie has to be canned immediately, or whatever inane crap is being spewed these days. I think things will turn around at some point, but even I'm not as sure of that as you and your crew seem to be about this program being dead.

As far as me being "wrong?" Impossible to prove at this point in time. Your point of view, on the other hand, doesn't seem to mesh with the notion of bringing a guy like Chillious onto the staff. Surely if there were as much inner turmoil as your tinfoil hat tells you there is, any competent assistant would stay the hell away from Storrs.
Do you recognize that there is a corollary between those who love to dump and those unable to handle getting dumped on whether it's by events with the team or fellow Boneyarders. I normally prefer to stay on the sidelines (one exception was about two months ago when I went toe to toe with a couple of these dudes) but I have to say this post is extremely well written and accurate.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
This is a GD message board to discuss UConn basketball. If we can't discuss the impact of two major transfers at a time when the program is reeling here then where can we? And then to play it off like we think this is a fatal blow and that's where we are wrong is just laughable. No, this isn't a fatal blow, but this is a ship accelerating its course that it had set about two years now. Is it the end, no. But large objects take a while to change course, and if you can see patterns developing that are concerning they deserve to be discussed ON THE UCONN MESSAGE BOARD AND FORUM.

You can feel free to discuss whatever you like. This being a public space, others are just as free to comment on the thoughts opinions you share and pass judgement on them. That's part of the exchange. I have no problem with people calling me out and saying I'm full of crap; it's well within their right to do so (and true some of the time).

I remember lurking before I created an account and seeing the place go up in flames over the Prince Ali de-commit less than two months after the last title. People were making the exact same kind of arguments jam-packed with wild speculation as they are now. Yes, two different situations with a lot more disappointment informing the situation now, but it gets tiring reading the same hyperbole every time there's a major program event.

Reaction Score
I feel pretty optimistic right now. I have criticized Oz a bit recently but I never questioned his content, more his delivery. If Durham and Vital stay, we are in a pretty good place, even amidst all this turmoil. We will get more good recruits with Chillious, and soon. I wouldn't be surprised to land newcomers better than our departing players. For a minute it was seeming like the issue was more structural but subtweet reading never benefited anyone and I am excited about the future.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Unless there are biggers issues, if not then I agree. Or it's just two dads poisoning their kids minds.
Or personality conflicts. There doesn't have to be bad guys every time something doesn't work out.

Reaction Score
Or personality conflicts. There doesn't have to be bad guys every time something doesn't work out.
that is true and something I try to remind myself of. no one thinks they're the bad guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom