Vance is Transferring | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Vance is Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
You can feel free to discuss whatever you like. This being a public space, others are just as free to comment on the thoughts opinions you share and pass judgement on them. That's part of the exchange. I have no problem with people calling me out and saying I'm full of crap; it's well within their right to do so (and true some of the time).

I remember lurking before I created an account and seeing the place go up in flames over the Prince Ali de-commit less than two months after the last title. People were making the exact same kind of arguments jam-packed with wild speculation as they are now. Yes, two different situations with a lot more disappointment informing the situation now, but it gets tiring reading the same hyperbole every time there's a major program event.
I don't really see anyone here making and wild predictions or speculation. Everyone moreso seems to be distressed as to why two such high potential players on our already depleted roster have decided suddely they no longer want to be Huskies. Just because you choose to disregard the things you hear about whats happening doesn't mean them to not be true. I'd say the "speculation" and rumoring thats gone on the last 7 days has all been pretty spot on when you see how things ended up playing out.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I feel pretty optimistic right now. I have criticized Oz a bit recently but I never questioned his content, more his delivery. If Durham and Vital stay, we are in a pretty good place, even amidst all this turmoil. We will get more good recruits with Chillious, and soon. I wouldn't be surprised to land newcomers better than our departing players. For a minute it was seeming like the issue was more structural but subtweet reading never benefited anyone and I am excited about the future.
Which is why it's best to let things play out to get a better picture of what's happening before making conjectures that are unsubstantiated. Otherwise fires get started that have to be put out that had no basis to begin with.

Reaction Score
Which is why it's best to let things play out to get a better picture of what's happening before making conjectures that are unsubstantiated. Otherwise fires get started that have to be put out that had no basis to begin with.

Which is why I was annoyed about Zionn setting this thread on fire with his vague speculation that disaster was ensuing. To be fair, Joe D added a lot of gasoline to that fire so the thread would have went the same direction regardless.

Reaction Score
Could have been - but again - while these guys all have potential, they're not very good players yet. I mean I guess I recruit in baseball, so it's different - but there's a guy like Enoch every other guy. Go look at PG's top 100 and you'll find all sorts of guys who have arms, physical builds, speed, can hit for power... and half of them face plant once they get to college. You can find dozens upon dozens of them.

Maybe he goes somewhere and becomes a stud - but he likely ends up at some mid major and contributes and stays the way he is without anyone really noticing.

I mean for all the hype behind this class, I was just really underwhelmed. I liked Vital a lot as a guy who can outkick his own coverage just through effort. But Jackson? Enoch (I know he's not a freshman, but he's in this group)? Durham? Meh. Sorry. We didn't get much of a chance to see Diarra and Gilbert obviously - but the other three? I mean they're all mind bogglingly replaceable.

And to boot if they're attitude problems - which from the players' reactions it seems like that might have been the case - then get lost. This is UConn, not East Tennessee State. They're lucky to be *here*, not the other way around.

You can miss sometimes in recruiting - even when you have strict standards and formulas, but it's important that when you do - you make the corrections. And it looks like that's happening - while simultaneously owning the staff's repsonsibility in all this by dismissing two guys. So to me - that shows me they're doing the right things.

People should be happy about this, not freaking out. There's a zillion Vance Jackson's and half of them would be really interested in playing at UConn...

Reaction Score
10 toes in not 5. Cya Vance. Was really pleased with his development and was looking forward to having that 3/4 guy knocking down threes. Won't miss his dad at all. The guy acted like he was Vance which he is not. Ball esque?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
If we lose Durham, it won't kill me. He looks like he has promise on offense, but what we really need is a bulky defender. We win titles with guards going nuts and big guys defending well. They don't usually need to score much. Basically, Durham is the opposite of this. I would prefer we recruit more players like Brimah but with hands that are better than an 8-year-olds.

Reaction Score
Look, if we go into the season with Jalen, Gilbert, Larrier, and Vital..we'll be in good shape. We should have the best backcourt in the country..that goes a long way.

Enoch's input is easily replaceable. If he looked anything like he did this year, he wasn't going to see much time. Period. His defense was atrocious, and quite frankly..his offense wasn't much better. We need to stop falling love with potential and size and start falling in love with actual basketball players.

Vance is going to hurt. Personally, I would have been starting Vance, Larrier, Vital, Adams and a post (and have Gilbert play the Kemba Walker - freshman season)...But we've still got four really talented players. Quite frankly, Vital is an excellent rebounder for a guard and tough as nails. No reason we can play small with him at the 3. We played Austrie/Price/Walker lineups..this isn't any different.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Look, if we go into the season with Jalen, Gilbert, Larrier, and Vital..we'll be in good shape. We should have the best backcourt in the country..that goes a long way.

Enoch's input is easily replaceable. If he looked anything like he did this year, he wasn't going to see much time. Period. His defense was atrocious, and quite frankly..his offense wasn't much better. We need to stop falling love with potential and size and start falling in love with actual basketball players.

Vance is going to hurt. Personally, I would have been starting Vance, Larrier, Vital, Adams and a post (and have Gilbert play the Kemba Walker - freshman season)...But we've still got four really talented players. Quite frankly, Vital is an excellent rebounder for a guard and tough as nails. No reason we can play small with him at the 3. We played Austrie/Price/Walker lineups..this isn't any different.
The last time we had the best back court in the country we won the title. Hmm...

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Which is why I was annoyed about Zionn setting this thread on fire with his vague speculation that disaster was ensuing. To be fair, Joe D added a lot of gasoline to that fire so the thread would have went the same direction regardless.
We should be taking everything with a grain of salt because everything is fluid - players, coaches, teams, seasons. But we don't. Any post insinuating about transfers should be taken with a grain of salt. But look at how people react when faced with adversity. It's not pretty. So the policy has been set up not to speculate about transfers because it's a no win situation. Nothing good can come from it.

In spite of this it still happens and fires that never should have been started have to be put out. Like it or not players are no different than the rest of us and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand the possibility that a player could be pushed by stupid fans to leave a program. That if those same fans just gave that player space he might have made a different decision.

Pushing out information has value when it promotes understanding of something, not when it feeds our emotional negative states.

This forum is like a complex entity. The bickering and arguing are just natural ways we deal with one another in life but without the restraints of repercussions. There is a freedom to this but also some negative consequences. I love coming to this forum because in my silly mind I feel like I'm living in the wild west as it was 100 years ago.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
You are right.

Zionn has been doing that for as long as I can remember. He actually used to be waaaay more active here until one of his cryptic post furies went to far and a lot of people got pissed off. Now he only comes out of the shadows occasionally to spill some dread before retreating again.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Something is going on....this is madness.

Joker-Quotes-Madness-Like-Gravity-1-1.jpg

Reaction Score
You are right.

Zionn has been doing that for as long as I can remember. He actually used to be waaaay more active here until one of his cryptic post furies went to far and a lot of people got pissed off. Now he only comes out of the shadows occasionally to spill some dread before retreating again.
Hence why the no speculation on transfers rule is a catch 22. If someone hears something they can only be vague and vague is usually worse than misinformation.

I agree with the rule because it's not fair to the players but boy does it suck as a fan.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
You are right.

On this I can agree with you. The incident you are talking about was DHam transferring a year before he went pro. It turned out not to be true although I'm sure it was close to happening and I'm sure Zionn has good contacts. But he declared Next!!! as if it was a done deal instead of warning of possible bad news. We're so in a rush to be the first to report something we forget that nothing is etched until it is official and when he was proven wrong he got a backlash.

Now Zionn took the criticism badly. We weren't shooting the messenger, just the way the message was delivered. But since that incident I don't recall any positive insider information coming from him. In fact just the opposite unless someone can demonstrate I'm overlooking something. Which is why @walker11 has a legitimate gripe.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Now, admitting that I have absolutely no inside information at all, let me propose a counter-intuitive:

Suppose for the sake of argument, that Ollie and staff noted problems getting certain players rowing in synch with the direction they saw as productive, not working the same as others toward the same end result. Maybe certain players didn't buy in, didn't display the dedication and effort necessary to, say, improve their defense. Perhaps transfers sometimes happen because the player wants more playing time; perhaps transfers sometimes happen because coaches see some bad chemistry and want a different mix, and have made suggestions to players that they will see more PT in other circumstances.

In other words, was it Ollie and staff not keeping players happy, or was it players not keeping Ollie and staff happy.

Again, no knowledge, other than an ability to see that different reasons may lead to similar outcomes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Now Zionn took the criticism badly. We weren't shooting the messenger, just the way the message was delivered. But since that incident I don't recall any positive insider information coming from him. In fact just the opposite unless someone can demonstrate I'm overlooking something. Which is why @walker11 has a legitimate gripe.

And I don't remember him being correct with any doom and gloom prognostications, either. Maybe he's unlucky and kids keep changing their mind at the last minute. Maybe he needs better sources. He definitely needs a better method of delivery. I am not ready to next him from the board, he is a great contributor to the beer thread. Just frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom