USF Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

USF Postgame Thread

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Rebounding isn’t about height, it’s about positioning. UConn’s boxing out has been poor so far this year.
Rebounding is about positioning and desire. Players that are out of position can often overcome this with desire and hustle. Smaller teams with plenty of desire and hustle can also be out rebounded by taller teams that consistently get better positioning. Teams that are taller with positioning and both desire and hustle will always out rebound a smaller team no matter that team desire.

Reaction Score
I feel everyone is beginning to temper their enthusiasm for UConn’s supposed depth. This is a 7-deep club, potentially 8 if/when Aubrey is available. Essentially, it is last year’s team with the addition of Dorka and Azzi. Expectations for Ducharme to be a viable part of the rotation should be postponed till next year. UConn will jell when the top 7 are comfortable with their individual roles in various group formations.
It’s way too early to declare Ducharme a non factor. And we don’t know what’s up with Nika, but when she started last year, Geno said we were a “different team” - and that was in a good way! Let’s wait till we start playing more cupcake teams to see how things play out. I suspect that by mid-season, Griffin, Muhl, Ducharme will be contributing.

Reaction Score
I didn't read any of these posts, don't need to. Ours Bigs stink!!! They can't score, they can't box out, we will have no chance to beat SC. Dorka has done nothing, maybe we should have put a full court press on Cordosa. Sorry to be so blunt, but they just frustrate me. I think AE has to go back to the bench, thats when she was truely effective coming into the game. We can't depend on Christyn, Paige, and Evina having good games every night. We could be embarrassed tomorrow.
Full court press? You mean like buy her a car or something? Auriemma recruited her out of HS and she wanted no part of his program. She wanted no part of SC either until the second time around.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I didn't see the game. Also, though I found the radio station, I couldn't find the game. But the reports of the game are disquieting, deeply disquieting.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the USF game
  • Two old golf buddies meet up again. Jose had his team ready to play, giving UConn far more than they ever bargained for. Lots of concerns for UConn: defensive rebounding, offensive ball movement and missed open shots.
  • In general, the defense was OK. USF scored 53 pts shooting only 37%, but it sure didn't feel like the defense was OK.
  • In order to secure the victory, UConn was forced to go with Liv and 4 guards for the entire 4th qtr in order to defend the arc against the Bulls.
  • When Azzi hit that first 3-pt shot you just got that feeling. I guess we can all stop worrying about Azzi's 3-pt shooting for now.
  • Paige with three turnovers today drops her assist/turnover ratio from infinity to an abysmal 6.3/1.
  • Whatever happens in the SC-Oregon game, UConn will have a huge matchup tomorrow against one of the two biggest front lines in WBB. It is exactly why top recruits come to Storrs in the first place.
Basketball at it's core is still a game played inside out so it doesn't matter how many perimeter players you have even, if they are great shooters so, until Uconn can get consistent production from it's bigs we will alway struggle and or lose when it counts . how many championships have we won without a dominant big ? the answer is none how many final fours have we lost because we didn't have a dominant big? the last four. How many have we won with a dominant big ? 11 look it up. The ability to score on the blocks or in the lane is what opens up the perimeter and so far Liv and Dorka are not performing up to par we may have to wait for Amari and Ice before we can become truly dominant

Reaction Score
I agree with the Dorka leading the team with 6 rebounds and only playing 12 minutes comment. She is the team's best rebounder. If she had played the same amount of time as Ododa surely she could put up similar or better numbers. Why not play both of them more, or Edwards and one of them? It appears that Geno's PLAN is to be a 3 point shooting team when it's needed, as it was today, and why not have 2 solid rebounders in when you are constantly throwing up 3 balls? There is a place for a 4 guard team but can't forward's set those picks at the top of the key and then crash the boards? I get the spacing advantages of a 4 guard configuration but we were so focused on stopping their outside shooting we basically gave up the rebounding and inside play.

The difference in this game is USF made some 3 balls at a decent percentage. If they had shot at their expected percentage this game was not as close. One of the reasons we got so many 3 point shot opportunities ourselves is because USF clogged the middle so much. They made us shoot the 3 and fortunately Azzi came through. It was their best shot though. Their best opportunity to beat us.

A team like South Carolina has both the inside game and the 3 point shooters. They are athletic and can run. It's going to be harder to score than normal. What do we do then when we can't rebound at the pace we need and we can't run or get to the hoop.?They make UCONN the clear underdog.

We are going to need some 3 balls tomorrow and we are going to need to force turnovers. I think we also are going to need solid rebounding.

Reaction Score
I feel everyone is beginning to temper their enthusiasm for UConn’s supposed depth. This is a 7-deep club, potentially 8 if/when Aubrey is available. Essentially, it is last year’s team with the addition of Dorka and Azzi. Expectations for Ducharme to be a viable part of the rotation should be postponed till next year. UConn will jell when the top 7 are comfortable with their individual roles in various group formations.
The more I watch this team I see it as an 8 deep club, but without Aubrey. At this point, would rather see Evina get more minutes and see if CD can continue her aggressiveness and polish her shot. While we are getting burned by the 30+ foot 3 pointer, overall our defense is fine. Aubrey will have her moments but we need more consistent offense.

Reaction Score
Not true. Go look at the scores of the past two to three years. Some of those games UConn blew USF off the court. Based on some posts I've read there are some who seem to think that UConn should be in mid-season form after only three games. Show me a team that is in mid-season form this early and I will show you a team that will peak too soon. Just ask last season's Maryland team.
The blow outs were generally when Jose would let his team try to run with UCONN, because, "That's who we [USF Bulls} are...." The close games were always when Jose coached his team to "grind it out" - it's a "choose your poison" situation. Update: 26-0 vs. USF, but always entertaining IMO.

I hope Jose gets far in the opposite side of the bracket in the NCAA tournament this year!!!

Reaction Score
Today is National Azzi Day. Can we now stop complaining that she was overhyped? Steph Curry was right.

Did Paige really have a toothache? She is struggling from the 3 this year. But she did make that clutch, insane shot at the end of the 3rd quarter. And she contributed a little otherwise. 21 points, 7 assists, a steal, and a block. We need her in the game to run the offense.

A rougher day for CW was predictable. Yesterday was a fantasy game against a weak opponent. USF was not going to give her the same easy layups. But when we needed points at the end of the game, she hit the 3.

Liv had 7 assists, which is good. Let's see if she can handle Boston and Cardoso.

I'm curious how South Carolina will deal with Azzi, and how Azzi will deal with being closely guarded. I don't think they're going to let her stand at the line and pop 3s all game.

An ugly win is still a win.

Reaction Score
It’s way too early to declare Ducharme a non factor. And we don’t know what’s up with Nika, but when she started last year, Geno said we were a “different team” - and that was in a good way! Let’s wait till we start playing more cupcake teams to see how things play out. I suspect that by mid-season, Griffin, Muhl, Ducharme will be contributing.
Would take it with a grain of salt what Geno says about playing time at this point. In offseason made it seem like Ducharme could step in and play right away, four minutes. Dorka could push to start, she is closer to tenth person off the bench than starter and Nika can't ever score.

Reaction Score
As far as I can see, UConn is playing the same way as last year. A soft, perimeter team , 41 3's!!, Who doesn't play to their strengths inside and let's much less talented but scrappy teams stay in the game.
Our strength literally isn’t inside. When has this team shown that? The posts usually don’t produce much (points wise) when playing against good competition. Our strength is very obviously our guards. We have the best guard in the nation in PB, if CW can be more consistent that’s another elite talent and then Azzi is also likely in that category. Do our posts need to step up? Yes but our strength is and will continue to be our guard play.

Reaction Score
Paige is 4-15 (26%) from 3 point land so far in the first three games. A little bit of a concern and highly surprising considering how lethal she was last season. I suspect this will even out, but something to keep an eye on.

Reaction Score
One big reason for the poor offensive rebounding is that the team is so intent on beating the other team down the floor as soon as the ball goes up they assume it is in and head back to the defensive end. Few if any left in position to rebound.

Reaction Score
Rebounding is about positioning and desire. Players that are out of position can often overcome this with desire and hustle. Smaller teams with plenty of desire and hustle can also be out rebounded by taller teams that consistently get better positioning. Teams that are taller with positioning and both desire and hustle will always out rebound a smaller team no matter that team desire.
Agreed! It's a physics thing - leverage & mechanical advantage plus understanding crest and using your center of mass to push your opponent off their intended spot... particularly when no fouls are being called!

Reaction Score
I’m not implying that Ducharme isn’t or won’t be a good player, but the question is who is she going to take time from. Griffin & Muhl don’t provide enough offense and Geno obviously trusts Williams & Westbrook more. You can’t keep Beuckers & Fudd off the court. Eventually Edwards will straighten out and you have the rotation of the two bigs. Time might be available in blowouts, but in tight games, the rotation is going to be tight

Reaction Score
Paige is 4-15 (26%) from 3 point land so far in the first three games. A little bit of a concern and highly surprising considering how lethal she was last season. I suspect this will even out, but something to keep an eye on.
Paige's scoring from three was best last year when Nika was running the point. I hope Nika gets her groove back tomorrow, or we will have to wait for the rematch in January to see the beauty that this team will show as they approach the part of the season that truly matters: NCAA tournament time!

Reaction Score
Would take it with a grain of salt what Geno says about playing time at this point. In offseason made it seem like Ducharme could step in and play right away, four minutes. Dorka could push to start, she is closer to tenth person off the bench than starter and Nika can't ever score.
At risk of being taken with one of those proverbial 'grains of salt, I'll continue to lean on what Geno said in pre-season about Dorka and Caroline.

Dorka has made some bad misplays, yet she also had six rebounds in 12 minutes today compared to five in 35 minutes for Liv. She's got game, as shown for several years in Big 10 competition. Those of us who are Liv fans should readily admit she has for more than three seasons consistently committed the same type of errors that Dorka is now being criticized for now.

Yes, Liv will block a shot now and then... after all, she's tied for the team lead so far with five in three games. Only tied? Yup, with Paige!

Caroline? Those who are already discounting her from the rotation might well look back one day and say, 'what was I thinking?' She seems to lack optimum quickness on D but she has so many positive skills, length and, beyond that, an aggressive style of game that so many of you love in Nika, yet with more basketball savvy and talent.

Thanks to all for your thoughts and opinions. I've been reading the BY for many years yet am still a relative newbie here.

Who knows what'll transpire tomorrow, but I know that I'm glad to have you all to supplement the enjoyment I get from watching the Huskies play each winter.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The blow outs were generally when Jose would let his team try to run with UCONN, because, "That's who we [USF Bulls} are...." The close games were always when Jose coached his team to "grind it out" - it's a "choose your poison" situation. Update: 26-0 vs. USF, but always entertaining IMO.

I hope Jose gets far in the opposite side of the bracket in the NCAA tournament this year!!!
It does not matter when they happened. They happened.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
USF had some important players injured last year.
My post was about more than last year. Sometimes USF would play UConn close for a half then get blown away.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom