USF Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

USF Postgame Thread

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Maybe UCONN was due for a stinker. If so, let's hope they got it out of their system. This game should not have been close, but it was a nailbiter that needed Bueckers' and Fudd's heroics to win.

Unlike previous games where UCONN came out strong in Q1 and then faltered over the last 5 minutes, this game was a grind almost from the start. Quick 6-0 start for UCONN, then a quick TO from USF, and it was a battle for the rest of Q1. The 3 point defense was non-existent. Traps and pressing left USF's best shooters wide open and we were torched. Evina and Aaliyah were ineffective early so Dorka and Azzi came in and Fudd promptly went 3-3 from deep. 34 points in the 1st half - credit to USF for their defense, but so many mistakes from UCONN from so many different players.

Great start to Q2, pushed the lead to 13, then a bunch of mental lapses let USF back into the quarter. Credit to USF - obviously well coached and played HARD.

At the half Geno mentioned Azzi's tentativeness - he said "I wasn't a great shooter, but I wish when I played my coach told me to shoot whenever I got the ball <meaning that's what they tell Azzi>. Pretty easy instructions. She need to be less hesitant."

Normally UCONN makes adjustments and comes out of the half with purpose. However it was Jose who had answers to start Q3 as his team completely outplayed UCONN - coming out on fire on a 9-2 run. The announcers kept saying we have a young team - this is not true. Maybe off the bench, but the NPOY is a sophomore and we start 3 seniors as well as a Canadian Olympian. Q3 was basically a disaster. For all UCONN's depth, there was no group of 5 he put out there that played well. I know he likes the team to figure it out, but he sat on the bench while USF demolished us.

UCONN got wide open shots in Q4 and missed and missed letting USF hang around. 15 O-boards for USF was inexcusable. Out-rebounded us 34-29. I thought our defense was good, but the rebounding was not.

Paige - finally had he 1st TO and then her 2nd and Geno took her out. She was scoring early, but made some questionable decisions in passing up shots with passes that players missed. Been a while since I've seen Geno take her out for poor play. Her defense on Tsineke and Pinzon was below average in the 1st half. Still, 9 points and 6 assists in H1. When you are as incredible as she is, it's easy to forget she's human. But Paige was Paige in Q4 and we needed every bit of it. 21 points, 7 assists, 3 boards.

Olivia - USF makes it hard to operate in the post even tho they are undersized. She was solid. Some nice assists and the best post player today. 5 points, 7 assists, 5 rebounds.

Christyn - picked up 3 fouls in half 1, but the 3rd was bogus. She was driving and passed the ball to Azzi who drained a 3. Called off for offensive foul, but CW was in the air before the defender was setting her feet. Geno yanked her early in Q3 for Azzi. Then came back and promptly committed 2 TO's. Not her best game for sure, but drained a big 3 in Q4 to settle the team.

Aaliyah - struggled this game. 2 fouls in half 1 and they were just bad decision brain-fart plays. Geno yanked her early in Q3 for Dorka.

Evina - again, hard to talk about the players when the offense struggled, but she was solid. Geno had a quick hook for her and Liya in Q1 but I am not sure if he saw something he didn't like.

Azzi - YAY! She actually was 4-4 from deep in H1, but her her 4th was called off on a bogus foul call against CW. Played a LOT of minutes and scored 18 points going 6-9. What slump?

Dorka - better than Liya today. Didn't see the mental lapses that often crept into her play in the past.

Nika - continues to take steps backwards. Unsure what to do with the ball.

Caroline - Meh.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the USF game
  • Two old golf buddies meet up again. Jose had his team ready to play, giving UConn far more than they ever bargained for. Lots of concerns for UConn: defensive rebounding, offensive ball movement and missed open shots.
  • In general, the defense was OK. USF scored 53 pts shooting only 37%, but it sure didn't feel like the defense was OK.
  • In order to secure the victory, UConn was forced to go with Liv and 4 guards for the entire 4th qtr in order to defend the arc against the Bulls.
  • When Azzi hit that first 3-pt shot you just got that feeling. I guess we can all stop worrying about Azzi's 3-pt shooting for now.
  • Paige with three turnovers today drops her assist/turnover ratio from infinity to an abysmal 6.3/1.
  • Whatever happens in the SC-Oregon game, UConn will have a huge matchup tomorrow against one of the two biggest front lines in WBB. It is exactly why top recruits come to Storrs in the first place.

Reaction Score
A win is a win, so happy Azzi has 18, and Paige 19 pts.

Screenshot (13).png

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Geno post game interview:

"Every time we play these guys for the past 25 years it's a grind. So disciplined, their kids buy in, and defensively they don't give you anything inside. Really gutty win for us. We made some big shots when we had to. I hope it was Azzi's coming out party and we can go from there."

"Sometimes too much emphasis is put on who starts and who doesn't . We have 7 who could be (Dorka). Azzi coming off the bench is a weapon most don't have. I hope today was the day she says 'I'm in college, I'm good, Coach told me to shoot all the time'".

"Games and tournaments like this are great. In the past, the talent gap was so great that games like this would be a blowout. Now there is so much talent spread out that any top 25 team is going to be a tough game"

He talked fast and the quotes aren't exact - I did the best I could...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I wasn't a great shooter, but I wish when I played my coach told me to shoot whenever I got the ball <meaning that's what they tell Azzi>.
I remember when Auriemma told the same thing to Christyn her freshman year.

Reaction Score
I loved this test! The team fought back when down and worked out the win. Azzi found her stroke, Azzi found her stroke, Azzi found her stroke!!!!! Great grind ladies…now let’s rest up and scout for tomorrow’s game!!!!

Reaction Score
USF slowed the game down and turned it into a grind-it-out game. Real concern for me is lack of offensive productivity and rebounding from the front line (and inability to keep USF off the O boards). ONO, AE and Dorka are going to have their hands full tomorrow,

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Mununga completely out played all of UConn's posts combined. 7 points from UConn's front line is better than the 6 they got against Minn.

Evina was solid defensively, but offensively gave them little to nothing.

AE was surprisingly ineffectively on both ends. She's still getting beaten off the dribble, is still prone to bad fouls, while missing too many bunnies.

Christyn was really not playing well today on both ends. I'll leave it at that.

Dorka's hustle is admirable. But twice yesterday and twice today she turned the ball over after picking up her dribble then turning to her right.

Jose had Paige running through so many screens early and Harvey had open 3's. Paige adapted though and played well offensively.

UConn was out rebounded by a smaller team. This is absolutely inexcusable.

Thank goodness for Azzi. Paige appeared tired the entire game. I hear she has a bad toothache, yet she was still the lynchpin for UConn's victory. Although her 3 point shooting this year isn't good it will improve.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Imo the worst game for bigs in Uconn history that I can recall. Gluck with this performance vs Boston and Cardoso

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
So, now we know. In crunch time, Geno still will only use 6 to 7 players. Maybe that will change over the course of the season, but I tend to doubt it. I think Edwards may continue to start, but be an early sub with Azzi for instant offense. But it looks like UConn will not have a low post game, again.

The problem for me is, "live by the three, die by the three." IOW, when the three is going in, fine. But when it isn't...

Reaction Score
Whether it’s Oregon or South Carolina, tomorrow’s game will reveal what UConn needs to do if it’s wants to challenge for NC. I suspect we may see more of a four guard attack with Azzi replacing AE in, if not the starting lineup, in minutes played. Both Oregon and SC have dominating bigs who probably one on one can handle our bigs. The name of the game may be disruption and more disruption, preventing them from posting up for easy baskets.

Reaction Score
Thru first 3 games AE, ONO, Dorka are averaging a combined 16.6 pts, 13.3 rebs, 7 assts per game.

This team will need more production from the frontcourt against the top teams on the schedule. Much much more.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
For whatever reason it just seemed like Aaliyah could not get in her usual flow of the game and it hurt us. The same with Evina (who I think is playing hurt). Tomorrow should a completely different situation as neither team (OR, SC) is going to have 5 players on the court jacking up 3s.

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score
By the way, unlike her last game Azzi was properly squaring her shoulders to the basket. The results?

Reaction Score
A win is a win, so happy Azzi has 18, and Paige 19 pts.

View attachment 71227
I didn't see the game, just the box scores. One senior barely got to double figures. Evina just showing up isn't good enough. She has to demand the ball and then do something with it. Supposedly, she is not hurt. Excuses gone, Evina has to take the pressure off Paige and Christyn, or forget being a high draft pick. She has to get open, call and come to the ball. Without Azzi, this is a loss.

Reaction Score
Maybe UCONN was due for a stinker. If so, let's hope they got it out of their system. This game should not have been close, but it was a nailbiter that needed Bueckers' and Fudd's heroics to win.

Unlike previous games where UCONN came out strong in Q1 and then faltered over the last 5 minutes, this game was a grind almost from the start. Quick 6-0 start for UCONN, then a quick TO from USF, and it was a battle for the rest of Q1. The 3 point defense was non-existent. Traps and pressing left USF's best shooters wide open and we were torched. Evina and Aaliyah were ineffective early so Dorka and Azzi came in and Fudd promptly went 3-3 from deep. 34 points in the 1st half - credit to USF for their defense, but so many mistakes from UCONN from so many different players.

Great start to Q2, pushed the lead to 13, then a bunch of mental lapses let USF back into the quarter. Credit to USF - obviously well coached and played HARD.

At the half Geno mentioned Azzi's tentativeness - he said "I wasn't a great shooter, but I wish when I played my coach told me to shoot whenever I got the ball <meaning that's what they tell Azzi>. Pretty easy instructions. She need to be less hesitant."

Normally UCONN makes adjustments and comes out of the half with purpose. However it was Jose who had answers to start Q3 as his team completely outplayed UCONN - coming out on fire on a 9-2 run. The announcers kept saying we have a young team - this is not true. Maybe off the bench, but the NPOY is a sophomore and we start 3 seniors as well as a Canadian Olympian. Q3 was basically a disaster. For all UCONN's depth, there was no group of 5 he put out there that played well. I know he likes the team to figure it out, but he sat on the bench while USF demolished us.

UCONN got wide open shots in Q4 and missed and missed letting USF hang around. 15 O-boards for USF was inexcusable. Out-rebounded us 34-29. I thought our defense was good, but the rebounding was not.

Paige - finally had he 1st TO and then her 2nd and Geno took her out. She was scoring early, but made some questionable decisions in passing up shots with passes that players missed. Been a while since I've seen Geno take her out for poor play. Her defense on Tsineke and Pinzon was below average in the 1st half. Still, 9 points and 6 assists in H1. When you are as incredible as she is, it's easy to forget she's human. But Paige was Paige in Q4 and we needed every bit of it. 21 points, 7 assists, 3 boards.

Olivia - USF makes it hard to operate in the post even tho they are undersized. She was solid. Some nice assists and the best post player today. 5 points, 7 assists, 5 rebounds.

Christyn - picked up 3 fouls in half 1, but the 3rd was bogus. She was driving and passed the ball to Azzi who drained a 3. Called off for offensive foul, but CW was in the air before the defender was setting her feet. Geno yanked her early in Q3 for Azzi. Then came back and promptly committed 2 TO's. Not her best game for sure, but drained a big 3 in Q4 to settle the team.

Aaliyah - struggled this game. 2 fouls in half 1 and they were just bad decision brain-fart plays. Geno yanked her early in Q3 for Dorka.

Evina - again, hard to talk about the players when the offense struggled, but she was solid. Geno had a quick hook for her and Liya in Q1 but I am not sure if he saw something he didn't like.

Azzi - YAY! She actually was 4-4 from deep in H1, but her her 4th was called off on a bogus foul call against CW. Played a LOT of minutes and scored 18 points going 6-9. What slump?

Dorka - better than Liya today. Didn't see the mental lapses that often crept into her play in the past.

Caroline - Meh.

Caroline - Meh.
I feel everyone is beginning to temper their enthusiasm for UConn’s supposed depth. This is a 7-deep club, potentially 8 if/when Aubrey is available. Essentially, it is last year’s team with the addition of Dorka and Azzi. Expectations for Ducharme to be a viable part of the rotation should be postponed till next year. UConn will jell when the top 7 are comfortable with their individual roles in various group formations.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Imo the worst game for bigs in Uconn history that I can recall. Gluck with this performance vs Boston and Cardoso
Clearly you didn't see the last game. The 3 forwards actually had better numbers all around the last game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom