USF Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

USF Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Disappointment. There should be no way the Frontline of Ono, AE, Dorka gets outrebounded as well as destroyed on the offensive glass by a smaller team. None.

We also lose the turnover battle and shoot only 6 free throws. In other words, no easy points.

As far as I can see, UConn is playing the same way as last year. A soft, perimeter team , 41 3's!!, Who doesn't play to their strengths inside and let's much less talented but scrappy teams stay in the game.

Sorry, but Geno deserves some criticism here. Telling Azzi to shoot more or Paige to shoot more is not the solution to lazy defense and poor post play. UConn needs to work on their post play, force more turnovers on defense leading to easy transition points, and stop hiking up 3's. Geno, for whatever reason, doesn't want to change. Playing a perimeter game by spreading everyone out including bigs isn't working.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
In an effort not to pass judgement too soon, let's wait until after tomorrow's game to assess the state of our bigs. We should learn a lot about our long term chances tomorrow
I actually meant UConn had better all around numbers this game than the last game.

Reaction Score
So much for the naysayers. Bueckers to Fudd, 3 points. The future.

But seriously, they could have lost this game.
When did you seriously think UConn would lose? Or are you facetious ?

JordyG

Reaction Score
So, now we know. In crunch time, Geno still will only use 6 to 7 players. Maybe that will change over the course of the season, but I tend to doubt it. I think Edwards may continue to start, but be an early sub with Azzi for instant offense. But it looks like UConn will not have a low post game, again.

The problem for me is, "live by the three, die by the three." IOW, when the three is going in, fine. But when it isn't...
Let's be more specific. When CW plays well and scores over 25 point its a blowout. Otherwise it'll be close.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the USF game
  • Two old golf buddies meet up again. Jose had his team ready to play, giving UConn far more than they ever bargained for. Lots of concerns for UConn: defensive rebounding, offensive ball movement and missed open shots.
  • In general, the defense was OK. USF scored 53 pts shooting only 37%, but it sure didn't feel like the defense was OK.
  • In order to secure the victory, UConn was forced to go with Liv and 4 guards for the entire 4th qtr in order to defend the arc against the Bulls.
  • When Azzi hit that first 3-pt shot you just got that feeling. I guess we can all stop worrying about Azzi's 3-pt shooting for now.
  • Paige with three turnovers today drops her assist/turnover ratio from infinity to an abysmal 6.3/1.
  • Whatever happens in the SC-Oregon game, UConn will have a huge matchup tomorrow against one of the two biggest front lines in WBB. It is exactly why top recruits come to Storrs in the first place.

Good points about the game, lots of things to learn from this contest:
USF is the first team that had a game plan & the players to keep UConn from doing a lot of things they like to do & make them uncomfortable on the offensive end.
USF sets a ton of staggered screens for their guards, who are not only good shooters, but also very crafty & can make plays for themselves and their teammates.
I would think GA would have to be concerned with the offensive production of his bigs. USF‘s defensive game plan was not going to allow a lot of inside scoring, but there are going to be games that UConn will need more from them.
We saw a lot of 4 around 1 with the game in doubt, which was good on the offensive end, but was a negative on the other end, especially on the boards.
No team in the country will have the weapons on the perimeter that this team does, but it’s hard to consistently beat good teams from the outside in.
Tomorrow’s game, no matter the opponent, is going to be against big and long. The perimeter players will have to be great to win, and I’m anxious to see how UConn defends that size, and what lineup GA goes with. I think the bench will be shorter tomorrow, but all those that play will need to make a positive impact.

JMO

Reaction Score
So, now we know. In crunch time, Geno still will only use 6 to 7 players. Maybe that will change over the course of the season, but I tend to doubt it. I think Edwards may continue to start, but be an early sub with Azzi for instant offense. But it looks like UConn will not have a low post game, again.

The problem for me is, "live by the three, die by the three." IOW, when the three is going in, fine. But when it isn't...
No low post game again.
And I ask why not?

JordyG

Reaction Score
Tonyc, I agree that the zone worked, but I think what worked even better against USF was the 4-guard lineup Geno went with for the entire 4th qtr.
4 guards, and as I been saying since Azzi committed, Geno wants to play 5 out.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
on the udder hand (no facts, just feelings), it does seem that in both leagues, the zebras are swallowing their whistles more, which i consider a great improvement in the practice of their craft.

Reaction Score
Another attack of 3rd quarter-itis. That happened quite a bit last year. I had hoped
that we wouldn't have that problem this year.

Reaction Score
I’m sure Geno doesn’t want to end up using only 6-7 players in crunch time. Now that may be the case tomorrow, but there’s still a lot of season left to develop the bench.
He had a chance to work on that yesterday but declined

Reaction Score
In an effort not to pass judgement too soon, let's wait until after tomorrow's game to assess the state of our bigs. We should learn a lot about our long term chances tomorrow
If Uconn doesnt play better than the last 2 games ,South Carolina will run the Huskies off the island!

JordyG

Reaction Score
If the Huskies are going to get out rebounded anyways, they might as well play 4 guards.
But if CW keeps having games like today watch him play Dorka and Liv (and AE) a lot.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
But if CW keeps having games like today watch him play Dorka and Liv (and AE) a lot.
Fouls neutralized Christyn today. She played OK in the 4th qtr. UConn will certainly need her best tomorrow.

Reaction Score
I have seen Fudd play all of two games (did not see the game yesterday) and no question she has an absolutely beautiful stroke. I am anxious to see how she reacts when teams run at her and make her put the ball on the floor. I am not remotely suggesting she can’t do that, I just have no idea if she can. But I sure as heck would not let her get her feet set and fire the way USF did today. Maybe easier said than done, she has a quick release, but I would be very reluctant to sag and help off her.

Reaction Score
Through the first three games of the season I think it's clear that our front court players are our Achilles heal. ONO is pretty much the same player she's been since she arrived at UConn. Edwards hasn't seemed to find her groove at all thus far and Dorka, while showing signs of promise, hasn't made the adjustment to playing at UConn for Geno. If we're going to challenge for and win a NC they'd better find their games. I know it's early but...yikes! They've been a non-factor.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not true. Go look at the scores of the past two to three years. Some of those games UConn blew USF off the court. Based on some posts I've read there are some who seem to think that UConn should be in mid-season form after only three games. Show me a team that is in mid-season form this early and I will show you a team that will peak too soon. Just ask last season's Maryland team.
USF had some important players injured last year.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I didn't read any of these posts, don't need to. Ours Bigs stink!!! They can't score, they can't box out, we will have no chance to beat SC. Dorka has done nothing, maybe we should have put a full court press on Cordosa. Sorry to be so blunt, but they just frustrate me. I think AE has to go back to the bench, thats when she was truely effective coming into the game. We can't depend on Christyn, Paige, and Evina having good games every night. We could be embarrassed tomorrow.

Reaction Score

The problem with your tone is that while I agree 100% that it won't be a deep bench and we're probably going to struggle to get much scoring from the post but in response -- you have to do what you're best at to try to win the game. In tight games you play to your strengths.

Got the whole year to work on getting better scoring from the posts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom