USF Postgame Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

USF Postgame Thread

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Offensive rebounds versus a smaller team: UConn 3, USF 10. Effort? Too much beach time?

You're under counting: USF had 15 offensive rebounds, worse, that's two games in a row where gifted our opponents with 15 extra chances to score. And . . . the other teams did it with less height! Add that to our 15 turnovers, we gave USG 30 extra offensive posessions!

Second, our bigs scoring?
Edwards: 0-3 for 0 pts
Olivia: 2-3 for 5 pts
Juhasz: 1-1 for 2 pts
Totals: 7 pts

Reaction Score
Yes it's hard it’s hard to consistently beat good teams from the outside in. It's hard to win it all anyway. Even if you have balance it's still hard though having balance is best. And unless they get better post scoring they will become more susceptible to an off night. However, the point of the perimeter is that UCONN has potentially 5 shooters. It's especially hard for all to be off or even 4 as the season progresses though ofc possible. IMO CWill and Evina are "nervous shooters" - but anyhow UCONN has 5. And I do expect some struggles because of the lack of balance. Edwards and Dorka not giving the offense but UCONN still very, very formidable. VS SC UCONN has the lower floor but the higher ceiling unless Dork and Edwards continue to struggle greatly. .

Until the post play is worked out - if it ever gets worked out- you play to your strength-- which is the perimeter.
I would submit that while it’s not probable that all of your shooters won’t be off In the same game— you don’t know that they’re off until their shots aren’t falling.
You better stay close until you know whose hot and whose not.
No Inside- No Title

Reaction Score
Rebounding isn’t about height, it’s about positioning. UConn’s boxing out has been poor so far this year.
They need Stef to show the bigs how to box out. Maybe geno can call her up!

Reaction Score
Basketball at it's core is still a game played inside out so it doesn't matter how many perimeter players you have even, if they are great shooters so, until Uconn can get consistent production from it's bigs we will alway struggle and or lose when it counts .
So FInal Fours don't count? You think Baylor thought the E8 game didn't count? You think "The Media" and "The Baylor Team" felt that game didn't count? A lot of talk after that game for a game that supposedly "didn't count." What about Louisville in 2019?? You believe they felt It didn't count for them either? These were top programs UCONN beat but "it somehow doesn't count?"

UCONN beat SC last year in Reg Season- so since when in all of the top sports doesn't a number 1 vs 2 number 2 game, doesn't count?

And why does UCONN continue to get Paige and Azzi and next year have top tier recruits for being in a non-Power 5 Conference even though they haven't won it all is supposedly all their prior wins since 2016 "don't seem to count?"

"At it's core" the team that scores the most points wins. "At it's core" in order for a team to win they play to their strengths. "At it's core" right now this UCONN team is stronger on it's perimeter, thus in close games you play to your strength. Hopefully down the road you can work towards achieving better balance.

Reaction Score
You're under counting: USF had 15 offensive rebounds, worse, that's two games in a row where gifted our opponents with 15 extra chances to score. And . . . the other teams did it with less height! Add that to our 15 turnovers, we gave USG 30 extra offensive posessions!

Woop, there it is.

Reaction Score
No low post game again.
And I ask why not?
Mixed feelings regarding Edwards. Seems somewhat deliberate when last year was constant motion and energy. Last year got 2-4 offensive rebounds a game - this year few or none. While Edwards certainly hasn't earned more playing time, she is the only one of the ONO, Dorka, Edwards trio to have a consistent 10-12' shot and post up moves. If I had to play one big with Evina getting more PT, I would consider Edwards in many matchups.

Reaction Score
I’m not implying that Ducharme isn’t or won’t be a good player, but the question is who is she going to take time from. Griffin & Muhl don’t provide enough offense and Geno obviously trusts Williams & Westbrook more. You can’t keep Beuckers & Fudd off the court. Eventually Edwards will straighten out and you have the rotation of the two bigs. Time might be available in blowouts, but in tight games, the rotation is going to be tight
While a big Ducharme fan, her getting more playing time likely more a factor of one of the top 7 not doing well. This would not be good.

Reaction Score
So FInal Fours don't count? You think Baylor thought the E8 game didn't count? You think "The Media" and "The Baylor Team" felt that game didn't count? A lot of talk after that game for a game that supposedly "didn't count." What about Louisville in 2019?? You believe they felt It didn't count for them either? These were top programs UCONN beat but "it somehow doesn't count?"

UCONN beat SC last year in Reg Season- so since when in all of the top sports doesn't a number 1 vs 2 number 2 game, doesn't count?

And why does UCONN continue to get Paige and Azzi and next year have top tier recruits for being in a non-Power 5 Conference even though they haven't won it all is supposedly all their prior wins since 2016 "don't seem to count?"

"At it's core" the team that scores the most points wins. "At it's core" in order for a team to win they play to their strengths. "At it's core" right now this UCONN team is stronger on it's perimeter, thus in close games you play to your strength. Hopefully down the road you can work towards achieving better balance.
At it's core you come to Uconn to win championships thats the measuring stick not fair but that's the way it is and everyone knows it so winning games is not enough at Uconn win the game and proceed to championships and whether you admit or not if we don't produce in the low post we'll lose again getting to the finals is not the goal at Uconn winning it all is. we've "Won" a lot of games the past 4 years but that's not the objective it's just a part of it.

Reaction Score
Disappointment. There should be no way the Frontline of Ono, AE, Dorka gets outrebounded as well as destroyed on the offensive glass by a smaller team. None.

We also lose the turnover battle and shoot only 6 free throws. In other words, no easy points.

As far as I can see, UConn is playing the same way as last year. A soft, perimeter team , 41 3's!!, Who doesn't play to their strengths inside and let's much less talented but scrappy teams stay in the game.

Sorry, but Geno deserves some criticism here. Telling Azzi to shoot more or Paige to shoot more is not the solution to lazy defense and poor post play. UConn needs to work on their post play, force more turnovers on defense leading to easy transition points, and stop hiking up 3's. Geno, for whatever reason, doesn't want to change. Playing a perimeter game by spreading everyone out including bigs isn't working.
Predict Geno will throw a zone at SC, shutting down the 3 pointers. UConn has been an average man to man team for several years but is good at anticipating passes and filling lanes. By year's end, we could see little of man to man and Geno once again receiving kudos for his creative defense.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
What you are saying is USF PLAYED BASKETBALL have a great coach. Saw the openings and took them. South Carolina knows Geno, knows Uconn and knows this team. If the highlighted above worked well for USF why not USC? Really, only the 3rd game against good competition. New kids, some sophs, all trying to figure out the chemistry and who gets the shot when and which player do I pick up on the switch, they are learning. As CARNAC has said---wait for game 5 or (me,saying game 10) then we'll see.
We beat them last year and both teams are pretty much the same except SC has Cardoso and UConn has Fudd Ducharme and Dorka. If its me coaching I play a zone with 3 to 4 guards who can hit outside shots. CW is great at driving to the basket and with SC bigs she gets fouled or doesnt make the shot. Hello Azzi and Caroline. You wanna talk about focus. SC UConn all players on deck will be focused. CW dribble drive gets them in foul trouble we're good. We hit our outside shots we're good. Our bigs need to play down low. They dont need double doubles although that would be great. They just need to defend the middle. Paige Evina CW and Azzi will take over. Remember one thing Paige is in control tomorrow.

Reaction Score

IMO, it is not the 7 points, it is the 7 shots. It is like people dissecting the play of Ducharme and Muhl; they played 7 minutes total, hardly time enough for either to break a sweat. FWIW, that is not a comment on the coaching, Auriemma just does not play his bench, rather fans trying to analyze performance on such a tiny sample size. And I know fans cite times he did play subs but they seem to be the exception to this relative newcomer.

Reaction Score
Predict Geno will throw a zone at SC, shutting down the 3 pointers. UConn has been an average man to man team for several years but is good at anticipating passes and filling lanes. By year's end, we could see little of man to man and Geno once again receiving kudos for his creative defense.
HopJim- greatly respect you insights.
Please explain to me.
Not being facetious.
Average man to man for the past couple of years?
Why?
Not a priority?
Recruits cream of the crop annually.
Can’t play tough man to man?
Not understanding why tough man to man cannot be integrated into team construction.
Tons of shooters
Can’t find one Gabby or Mariah on occasion?
They’re not there or he’s not looking?
Thank you in advance.

Reaction Score
Aubrey provides a lot of things UConn could really use right now: defense, rebounding and energy off the bench. As much as she was missed today, Aubrey could really be missed tomorrow.

Could not have said it any better

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
Paige is 4-15 (26%) from 3 point land so far in the first three games. A little bit of a concern and highly surprising considering how lethal she was last season. I suspect this will even out, but something to keep an eye on.
If I had a toothache like Paige supposedly is having I'd probably be shooting not so well, too.

Reaction Score
At it's core you come to Uconn to win championships thats the measuring stick not fair but that's the way it is and everyone knows it so winning games is not enough at Uconn win the game and proceed to championships and whether you admit or not if we don't produce in the low post we'll lose again getting to the finals is not the goal at Uconn winning it all is. we've "Won" a lot of games the past 4 years but that's not the objective it's just a part of it.
Any player from a team that has been in the top 10 can say "They come to this school or that to win a championship." I doubt that Ariz coach or some of the other coaches in top ten type of teams wants a player who doesn't come to their school to win a championship. Otherwise why are they going to that school other than a scholarship? It's the belief they can win a title.

It's one thing to speak of "objective" but it's another to say they haven't won a game when it counts.

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
Thank goodness for Azzi. Paige appeared tired the entire game. I hear she has a bad toothache, yet she was still the lynchpin for UConn's victory. Although her 3 point shooting this year isn't good it will improve.

Reaction Score
Paige is 4-15 (26%) from 3 point land so far in the first three games. A little bit of a concern and highly surprising considering how lethal she was last season. I suspect this will even out, but something to keep an eye on.
I think last year was about as good as it gets when it comes to PB's three point shooting.........I don't think she reached those numbers in high school never mind in college..,........Hard to say if she can repeat that level of shooting again but the good news is she has a new back court mate who certainly can..........

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Don't know about that, their strength is post play. If our Bigs can't contain Boston and Cardosa it will be death to us. They don't take a lot of 3 pointers, and in MHO Cook is the only one that is consistent. Still, we really don't know what we have here, but tomorrows game will tell us what we have to do for March. I can't remember the last time I felt completely clueless as to what to expect. Good luck to us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom