USF Postgame Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

USF Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
I would submit that while it’s not probable that all of your shooters won’t be off In the same game— you don’t know that they’re off until their shots aren’t falling.
You better stay close until you know whose hot and whose not.
No Inside- No Title

And you don't know your posts can score inside until you see that their shots aren't falling either.

You better play to your strength or you won't win no matter inside or out.

Reaction Score
Does she also eat her peas one at a time?
Why would anyone eat peas one at a time? That's just ridiculous. You'll be there all night eating the peas one by one.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand the doom and gloom predictions I see on this thread. This is the same team that beat SC last year and UCONN’s additions since last year make them stronger. SC can only play so many bigs at the same time. Despite folks believing basketball is an inside out game, modern basketball is guard and perimeter driven. We have by far the better guards. Of course, we have Paige and they don’t, but from what I have seen, SC guards are very inconsistent. I’d wager that the 3, if not 4 best guards suited up tomorrow are all on UCONN. We should be favored on a neutral court. Don’t be misled by SC’s win over the Ducks. They were without 3 starters and both guards. Hopefully my take is right on and UConn prevails tomorrow in a very competitive game. Let the cup be half full.

Reaction Score
South Carolina is very strong and mature. That maturity does have some advantages. I'd have to give them a slight edge but this is Celtics vs. Lakers. It could go either way.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Glad to see Azzi start hitting her 3's. Not much going on from anyone else except Paige and she was a bit off. Thought Paige was beat to death with picks in the first qtr.
Only 6 UConn players scored today. Their starters outscored our’s 50 to 40. The bench scoring was the difference. 3 for them, 20 for us.

Reaction Score
South Carolina is very strong and mature. That maturity does have some advantages. I'd have to give them a slight edge but this is Celtics vs. Lakers. It could go either way.
UConn starts 3 players that are in their 4th or 5th year of college basketball. The other two are Paige and a player that plays for her national team. All but Edwards are in their 20s. Coming off the bench we have Dorka who's been around and Nika who will be 21 in four months. We are an older team that should be every bit as mature as South Carolina.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Here we go. The presser Geno host's Paige vs Azzi :eek::eek:

Geno on Azzi. I wish she had some of Paiges just playing brainless

Geno on Paige. Sometimes I wish she had some of Azzi's discipline.

Direct comparisons to a young Sue and DT

and the best.

Well, we needed someone to make 3's today, and then gives a long (fun) smirk in paige's direction.

I was rather surprised (and it made me a bit uneasy) to see how very seriously Azzi took everything Geno said about her, even when he was trying to be sarcastic. I would expect them to have enough rapport by now that she could recognize that he was messin' with her, and at least provide a slight smile. But instead she seemed really serious, totally attentive, and possibly a bit worried. Maybe annoyed?

Geno's comments definitely weren't "water off a duck's back".

Reaction Score
I don’t understand the doom and gloom predictions I see on this thread. This is the same team that beat SC last year and UCONN’s additions since last year make them stronger. SC can only play so many bigs at the same time. Despite folks believing basketball is an inside out game, modern basketball is guard and perimeter driven. We have by far the better guards. Of course, we have Paige and they don’t, but from what I have seen, SC guards are very inconsistent. I’d wager that the 3, if not 4 best guards suited up tomorrow are all on UCONN. We should be favored on a neutral court. Don’t be misled by SC’s win over the Ducks. They were without 3 starters and both guards. Hopefully my take is right on and UConn prevails tomorrow in a very competitive game. Let the cup be half full.
lol a game that was played 9 months has zero impact for tomorrow. Also why do you keep bringing up veteran leadership? Don't people make posts to bench Olivia? Uconn bigs just had 5 total pts and are facing the best duo of bigs in Cardoso and Boston and you expect in one day after playing 3 games in 3 days to change that? Sorry but some of us are more realistic.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
In an effort not to pass judgement too soon, let's wait until after tomorrow's game to assess the state of our bigs. We should learn a lot about our long term chances tomorrow
If (I’m not saying or suggesting we will) we lose tomorrow, the yard will blow up. Posters will be calling for everything from new players in the starting lineup to Geno’s termination. :confused: Win or lose, tomorrow’s post game comments should be very interesting.

I sincerely hope the players avoid the BY tomorrow and for the rest of the season. I know that some parents visit us from time to time.

On one occasion, a parent revieled herself to us after some very complimentary things were written about her daughter.

Reaction Score
I’m not that worried about Cardozo.
It’s Boston.
I thought that Edwards was on a strong upward trajectory.
May have been overly optimistic.
I hope Paige, Azzi and Momma can play their top games.
Can a front line player rise to the occasion?
That will be the determining factor.
(IMHO)

Reaction Score
lol a game that was played 9 months has zero impact for tomorrow. Also why do you keep bringing up veteran leadership? Don't people make posts to bench Olivia? Uconn bigs just had 5 total pts and are facing the best duo of bigs in Cardoso and Boston and you expect in one day after playing 3 games in 3 days to change that? Sorry but some of us are more realistic.
Yet there seems to be an underlying tone here that Boston and Cardoso are the reincarnations of "Griner and Charles." - Even after UCONN won last year - there was that lingering tone of fear.

They're nothing more than college kids too.

Reaction Score
Any player from a team that has been in the top 10 can say "They come to this school or that to win a championship." I doubt that Ariz coach or some of the other coaches in top ten type of teams wants a player who doesn't come to their school to win a championship. Otherwise why are they going to that school other than a scholarship? It's the belief they can win a title.

It's one thing to speak of "objective" but it's another to say they haven't won a game when it counts.
when was the last one ?

Reaction Score
At it's core you come to Uconn to win championships thats the measuring stick not fair but that's the way it is and everyone knows it so winning games is not enough at Uconn win the game and proceed to championships and whether you admit or not if we don't produce in the low post we'll lose again getting to the finals is not the goal at Uconn winning it all is. we've "Won" a lot of games the past 4 years but that's not the objective it's just a part of it.

I can’t imagine walking into the locker room after a Final Four loss and telling your players that you had a wonderful season, won a lot of games, but at UConn that’s not enough. What a slap in the face to your players and staff to imply going home without the big trophy is somehow failing. UConn is 164-10 since taking said big trophy home and have been to 13 straight Final Fours. In what universe exactly is that not good enough? There are over 350 D-1 women’s programs, and I’m guessing that each one of those programs would love to “fail” in a similar manner.

Reaction Score
A few thoughts after watching the replay.
  • Paige is still Paige but she’s human and missing some open shots. I don’t worry about it as long as she’s taking them because there isn’t a shot she takes that I don’t like. I can live with her missing. What Id like to see more of is her being a bit more selfish (other than passing to Azzi)
  • CW - I thought she was ok. The problem with CW is when she catches the ball and wants to go one on one she holds the ball a little too long, the offense stagnates a bit and allows her defender to set up and then that’s when she can get a bit out of control with forcing drives or trying to do too much. I’d rather see her catch and move within the flow of the offense or being set up by a teammate. Whenever she’s in one on one mode it’s just bad outcomes mostly. She’s a step slower at this point in time on defense compare to end of last season.
  • Liv - we should not throw it into Liv in the list unless it is an absolute mismatch. Against ranked teams she just doesn’t have the moves or coordination to be effective. I saw several time she catches it and it takes her three seconds to make a move, it’s just not working against good players or even mediocre ones. Liv should be a facilitator and a weak side help defender to help protect the paint and also a rebounder. The days where guards are throwing it in there should be done with. Maybe during BE play against lesser competition. It’s a shame she couldn’t develop a better inside game. But no need to wait on her, she’s a senior she is who she is and we shouldn’t waste possessions where she will turn the ball over or stall the offense.
  • Evina - thought she was ok, she needs to be a more aggressive. She has a nice floater and mid range game. We need that from her against the top teams that have good bigs. She also is a decent three point shooter (rarely air balls like we see on occasion from CW or Nika). I know she wants to facilitate but right now we need that third consistent shooter and I trust her a bit more than CW.
  • AE - I’m not sure if starting her is causing her to be a bit anxious, but I don’t see that dogged style of play. She’s just moving around out there some times and I don’t see her impacting the play defensively or getting offensive rebounds which she should be really good at. I hope she can be that junk yard dawg that will score not just on her own but cleaning up others misses.
  • Azzi - she’s efficient. Has amazing timing and flow to the game. You can see she’s staring to get comfortable and I believe Geno is going to start running plays for her and Paige a lot more as the season moved forward. If teams are going to focus on Paige the Azzi can take over and vice versa. That will be an element that we didn’t have last year.
  • Caroline - I don’t know but I haven’t really seen any type of play that I can point to where she can really contribute against top competition other than to peel a starter for a few minutes. Hoping that she proves me wrong like Nika did last year.
  • Nika - I don’t know but she may be a pLayer that isn’t good coming off the bench. She may have to have starter minutes to really get going because right now she reminds me of the first half of freshman year Nika. Driving without reason and can’t make an open shot. I really hope she can find her niche with this team because I do believe if she can hit a few shots, her defense will be much needed.

Reaction Score
When did I say anything about veteran leadership? I’m all in on Paige’s leadership. I imagine the SC nervous nellies are as concerned about what they see as shortcomings as some on the BY are about UCONN’s. I would imagine primarily how they can stop the Husky’s guards. Let’s just see what happens. I remain optimistic.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Cheryl Reeve was at the game today...i assume to scout our 3 seniors...I'm not sure any of the 3 made a good case for themself
Cheryl was scouting. I assume she was scouting multiple players, including SC players and maybe Oregon players.

Reaction Score
And they don't have a Coach like Geno.

Reaction Score
I love this close games! As a coach and as a former player. Close games reveal a lot about your team and the players around you. It was great seeing Azzi have that break out game. 18 points! That turn around 3 ball by Paige, which tied it up at 45, was sweet! So excited to see what we do tomorrow night!! Let's Go, Huskies!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom