USC and UCLA to the BIG Ten | Page 6 | The Boneyard

USC and UCLA to the BIG Ten

Reaction Score
How has Rutgers' football program done in the Big 10?
Is that relevant? How have we done in the same time frame? The money they're bringing in will allow them to compete for top coaches in sports like men's and women's basketball.

Reaction Score
You missed my point. This forum was furious with HCPP in 2013. He was (somewhat unfairly) besmirched here for years.

As you stated, the 2013 team was decent… but old Paul got fired after an embarrassing 0-4 start. Things were not good! We were excited for Diaco for crying out loud.

You couldn’t remember PP’s name. Don’t tell me he went 3-9 in 2013. Chill out dude.
I didn’t miss anything schmuck. I pointed out how stupid your original post was ridiculing PP ‘s 2011,2012, and 2013 teams, those teams were not that bad and had many heartbreaking losses, at least they did not get blown out in every game like later on. PP wasn’t perfect but he was a heck of a lot better than Warde’s idiotic hiring of Red Pants, and UConn’s disastrous Edsall 2.0, 3-19 over two seasons.

Reaction Score
The ACC isn’t adding teams unless they add value. ESPN is paying more for any of the teams you mentioned and the existing teams in the ACC are certainly not going to take a pay cut.
The majority of the teams in the ACC will be left out of big time college athletics if they don't become the 3rd super conference. These teams will push to add more teams or extend their gor beyond 2037. But we know there is no chance that schools like Virginia and North Carolina will extend the gor because the BIG 10 and SEC will be fighting over these schools in the near future. Neither of us know exactly how colleges are valued, but there are definitely midwest and west coast schools that add value to the ACC. The ACC has a lot of overlapping markets (4 in north carolina, 2 in virigina), so there are 4 ACC teams adding almost no incremental value to TV revenue. Prior to very recently the ACC considered things like academics and geography and that is why they wouldn't add certain teams (not money). Right now they are fighting for survival as a conference and the majority of teams are fighting to stay at the top of the sport. Remember that the top football teams in the ACC are redundant to the SEC and you have pointed out that the ACC and other conferences will not add schools that don't increase the payout. So according to your own statement schools like Florida State, Miami, Clemson, and Lousiville do not bring more cable boxes and therefore do not add much marginal value to the SEC. If they are added, then the payout to each SEC school FOR SURE goes down by a lot. Plus their in state rivals from the SEC will fight to keep them out. So these schools need to pray that they are added to the BIG 10 or else they could be on the outside looking in if other ACC schools that expand the BIG 10 and SEC footprint leave to get more money from those conferences and then those conferences break from the NCAA to form a new super league and football playoff system.

Reaction Score
IMO there are only 2 good scenarios for us.

#1 is the ACC schools somehow get out of the GOR ASAP, the conference falls apart quickly, and we wait to see who is leftover and decide if we join the leftovers.

#2 is that the PAC12 explodes and the Big XII absorbs the teams it wants. This leads the B1G to expand again and take Washington and Oregon before the Big XII can get them. All this movement and expansion of the Big XII and B1G makes the ACC decide it also needs to expand to keep up with the Joneses and protect itself from teams leaving in a decade. Hopefully we get a life raft there. At this point we hope the GOR is really strong and we have a power conference home for 10-12 years

The wildest scenario would be the SEC wanting to expand their footprint and somehow decide they want us but I think I have a better chance of hitting the lottery.
I'm curious about Duke and Wake, forgetting about GOR for a minute. Duke is certainly worthy with a huge endowment, academics, AAU so I guess it depends on just how large the two titan conferences want to get. Is it more or less likely UNC would choose to accept an invite without Duke? USC and UCLA are the first combo to be invited from the same market in all of this CR comedy. There is a pecking order in the ACC which can more or less be divided into two tiers for CR purposes:

Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Miami
UNC
UVA
Duke

VPI
NC State
Syracuse
Pitt
Louisville
Wake Forest
BCU

How about the 9 programs from UVA down through BCU align with the Big East for a 20 team basketball conference and 10 team football conference. It's the old Big East plus Duke, UVA, NC State, and Wake. Not bad. That would be incredible basketball and solid east coast football. Add WVU and Cincy. If not the B1G or SEC, at least the conference would have all regional rivals which is more entertaining than playing programs out west.

Reaction Score
Is that relevant? How have we done in the same time frame? The money they're bringing in will allow them to compete for top coaches in sports like men's and women's basketball.
I think we beat Rutgers several times in football over the last decade. Top basketball coaches? Didn’t Rutgers fire Mike Rice and Eddie Jordan in quick succession before hiring Pikell away from Stonybrook in 2016?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm curious about Duke and Wake, forgetting about GOR for a minute. Duke is certainly worthy with a huge endowment, academics, AAU so I guess it depends on just how large the two titan conferences want to get. Is it more or less likely UNC would choose to accept an invite without Duke? USC and UCLA are the first combo to be invited from the same market in all of this CR comedy. There is a pecking order in the ACC which can more or less be divided into two tiers for CR purposes:

Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Miami
UNC
UVA
Duke

VPI
NC State
Syracuse
Pitt
Louisville
Wake Forest
BCU

How about the 9 programs from UVA down through BCU align with the Big East for a 20 team basketball conference and 10 team football conference. It's the old Big East plus Duke, UVA, NC State, and Wake. Not bad. That would be incredible basketball and solid east coast football. Add WVU and Cincy. If not the B1G or SEC, at least the conference would have all regional rivals which is more entertaining than playing programs out west.
I dont think the Big East is ever going to sanction football again. They don't want the headache. I could see them allowing teams to join for Olympic sports and forcing the teams to have a separate home for football. That could actually be really cool. We would end up in two conferences, one for football and one for everything else.

The teams I could see in that scenario are:

UConn
BC
Syracuse
Pitt
Duke
Wake Forest
NC State
Virginia Tech

It would be a nice 8 team conference evenly split north and south. Find two more football only members and you're good.

Reaction Score
I think we beat Rutgers several times in football over the last decade. Top basketball coaches? Didn’t Rutgers fire Mike Rice and Eddie Jordan in quick succession before hiring Pikell in 2016?
I am referring to future years. They're about to be in a conference that pays 100 million annually. RU till recently was getting a reduced payout and paying back loans to the B1G.

Of all the Old BE football schools, their future is the most secure.

Reaction Score
I dont think the Big East is ever going to sanction football again. They don't want the headache. I could see them allowing teams to join for Olympic sports and forcing the teams to have a separate home for football. That could actually be really cool. We would end up in two conferences, one for football and one for everything else.

The teams I could see in that scenario are:

UConn
BC
Syracuse
Pitt
Duke
Wake Forest
NC State
Virginia Tech

It would be a nice 8 team conference evenly split north and south. Find two more football only members and you're good.
Good for how long? Only problem with that is it has the same weakness that the original Big East had, the catholic basketball schools hold all the cards and makes the football schools easy pickings for the SEC and B1G. IIRC the catholic basketball schools smartly bought the rights to the Big East name a few years ago.

Reaction Score
Good for how long? Only problem with that is it has the same weakness that the original Big East had, the catholic basketball schools hold all the cards and makes the football schools easy pickings for the SEC and B1G. IIRC the catholic basketball schools smartly bought the rights to the Big East name a few years ago.
Aresco's biggest blunder was selling the name.

Reaction Score
This would not be the same scenario because it wouldn't be big east sponsored football. It would be a separate entity. This is also a scenario where all the aforementioned teams didn't get picked up by any of the major conferences and the ACC is dissolved.

Reaction Score
I am referring to future years. They're about to be in a conference that pays 100 million annually. RU till recently was getting a reduced payout and paying back loans to the B1G.

A little perspective. Rutgers Endowment is 1.9 Billion. Uconn approx 600 million
Why such a discrepancy?

Reaction Score

Well you definitely weren’t talking future years when you replied to Nelson’s question about how Rutgers football has done in the Big Ten over the last decade, and asked him the question “how have we done in the same time frame?”

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I didn’t miss anything schmuck. I pointed out how stupid your original post was ridiculing PP ‘s 2011,2012, and 2013 teams, those teams were not that bad and had many heartbreaking losses, at least they did not get blown out in every game like later on. PP wasn’t perfect but he was a heck of a lot better than Warde’s idiotic hiring of Red Pants, and UConn’s disastrous Edsall 2.0, 3-19 over two seasons.

An embarrassing 0-4 start from the coaching staff that neglected to develop the student athletes is very shabby, and the reason why a respected football coach got fired. I didn’t call you names and I am not going to argue with your revised history. Have a nice day.

Reaction Score
Well you definitely weren’t talking future years when you replied to Nelson’s question about how Rutgers football has done in the Big Ten over the last decade, and asked him the question “how have we done in the same time frame?”
What does their record have to do with anything? They're in the club. Their financial future is not in any way in doubt. If there is a split of a power 2, they're in. To mock their record in the B1G while we have been losing to the likes of Holy Cross makes sense to you? Okay then.

Reaction Score
This would not be the same scenario because it wouldn't be big east sponsored football. It would be a separate entity. This is also a scenario where all the aforementioned teams didn't get picked up by any of the major conferences and the ACC is dissolved.
Apparently a "football only" conference isn't possible but who knows what happens with the future. Of course they could all join the Big East and all be independent in football and play each other. We may see several schools go independent for a while. Or the Big East deals with the headache and collects exit fees if a program wants to join and leave.

Reaction Score
I think it’s much more likely that the football schools you mentioned form their own conference in ALL sports, and make it extremely expensive to leave if the SEC or B1G come calling. If they do that they eventually would put the Big East basketball only schools out of business. In that scenario I wouldn’t be surprised if Villanova upgrades to D1 football like they almost did years ago. That would give them a pretty good grip on the eastern metroplex market.

Reaction Score
Of course they could all join the Big East and all be independent in football and play each other.
This is a definite possibility. Benedict said as much a year or two ago(?) and people made fun of him for it and said "that's called a conference." Maybe it's just his way of thinking around obstacles, but I don't see why you can't be in a separate conference for football only. They do it for hockey. If there is a rule I bet it would be changed.

Reaction Score
I think it’s much more likely that the football schools you mentioned form their own conference in ALL sports, and make it extremely expensive to leave if the SEC or B1G come calling. If they do that they eventually would put the Big East basketball only schools out of business. In that scenario I wouldn’t be surprised if Villanova upgrades to D1 football like they almost did years ago. That would give them a pretty good grip on the eastern metroplex market.

Well it really depends on how many teams get left out. If it's 6-7 teams, you can't make an all sports conference without adding more schools, and there may not be many options left.

Again, this is a scenario where the SEC and B1G don't want these teams. They're not taking everyone. Schools will be left out, and if they aren't invited then they can't go anywhere.

Reaction Score
An embarrassing 0-4 start from the coaching staff that neglected to develop the student athletes is very shabby, and the reason why a respected football coach got fired. I didn’t call you names and I am not going to argue with your revised history. Have a nice day.
TJ did OK with the pieces he picked up after PP got his walking papers, IIRC they won their last 3 or 4 games, and beat Rutgers. Have a nice day too.

Reaction Score
Well it really depends on how many teams get left out. If it's 6-7 teams, you can't make an all sports conference without adding more schools, and there may not be many options left.

Again, this is a scenario where the SEC and B1G don't want these teams. They're not taking everyone. Schools will be left out, and if they aren't invited then they can't go anywhere.
Your original list is 8 teams which I think would be enough. They could go to ten if Villanova upgrades football or they get UCF, South Florida or Miami.

Reaction Score

How would they put the Big East basketball schools out of business?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom