USC and UCLA to the BIG Ten | Page 4 | The Boneyard

USC and UCLA to the BIG Ten

Reaction Score
Oh ok, so it’s not $100 million? Only $50 million? $25 million? $10 million? Anybody know? Lol
There are a lot of factors, but only a small number that actually matter. Probably the most important is the number of households that will be forced to add the BIG 10 network to their cable package as a result of a team being added. This will be less important moving forward as cable fades and be replaced with the number of people who actually voluntarily choose to pay for it. So large populated states add more value than less populous states under the "cable box" calculation. It also matters how many primetime games the school can generate with football making by far the most TV money. This number is not an exact science, so we are relying on people to estimate our value. "What have you done lately" will influence these numbers a lot, but brands built over decades are obviously very good as well. There are other factors, but these two are going to massively influence things.
If Oregon is worth $60 mil (as reported) based on athletic performance and number of households in the state, then UConn is probably worth $40-50 mil. However, if UConn gives up some home games to play neutral site games in New York and Boston, then that adds some additional value in exposure to these areas and excitement for alumni to travel there etc. Small things like this could boost our case for some conferences.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I can't get a single poster on this board to tell me what they want to happen to UConn and why they want it to happen. Has this become a Notre Dame board?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I can't get a single poster on this board to tell me what they want to happen to UConn and why they want it to happen. Has this become a Notre Dame board?
Realistically, one of four things in this order:
1. Sneak in the ACC if they have multiple defections.
2. Convince Syracuse, Pitt, and BC to join the BE and go independent if the ACC is damaged beyond repair.
3. Add Gonzaga to the Big East.
4. Status quo.

Reaction Score
Sure, 50 million moves the needle for the Big10, problem is, it's in the wrong direction. Those other numbers are non starters. Don't you think if UConn would bring in 50 plus mil for the Big10 that they'd be in at least some analyst projections as a possible add. I'm not digging for info, but I haven't seen one projection where UConn is in the mix for a back fill ACC spot let alone an invite to the Big10.
Maybe because the ACC hasn’t dissolved. Yet.

Reaction Score
No likely. But after so many disappointments regarding restructuring, UConn fans have become realists. They realize the UConn has to have a football program to sell. At the moment there is no product that UConn can offer that anyone might buy except in sports that do not matter.

Reaction Score
No likely. But after so many disappointments regarding restructuring, UConn fans have become realists. They realize the UConn has to have a football program to sell. At the moment there is no product that UConn can offer that anyone might buy except in sports that do not matter.
What I don't get is how men's basketball doesn't matter?

I get that football drives the bus but people didn't all of a sudden stop watching and caring about men's college basketball. There's 33 regular season games, conference tournaments, and the NCAA tournament. College football is 12 regular season games, a 4 team playoff, and bowl games.

Reaction Score

I get that football drives the bus but people didn't all of a sudden stop watching and caring about men's college basketball. There's 33 regular season games, conference tournaments, and the NCAA tournament. College football is 12 regular season games, a 4 team playoff, and bowl games.
From what I'm reading, exception seems to be made for Kansas, but not for UConn.

Reaction Score

Yup, I don't get it either. And the point about Kansas is also a good one. But I have also observed what everyone else has observed. It may simply be a culture thing and that CFB is a red state sport. Of course, that theory doesn't explain a few things either

Reaction Score

Forget basketball, Kansas fans must wondering the same thing invite wise, and they’re near the top of the rankings every week, UConn mens basketball is not even close.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of factors, but only a small number that actually matter. Probably the most important is the number of households that will be forced to add the BIG 10 network to their cable package as a result of a team being added. This will be less important moving forward as cable fades and be replaced with the number of people who actually voluntarily choose to pay for it. So large populated states add more value than less populous states under the "cable box" calculation. It also matters how many primetime games the school can generate with football making by far the most TV money. This number is not an exact science, so we are relying on people to estimate our value. "What have you done lately" will influence these numbers a lot, but brands built over decades are obviously very good as well. There are other factors, but these two are going to massively influence things.
If Oregon is worth $60 mil (as reported) based on athletic performance and number of households in the state, then UConn is probably worth $40-50 mil. However, if UConn gives up some home games to play neutral site games in New York and Boston, then that adds some additional value in exposure to these areas and excitement for alumni to travel there etc. Small things like this could boost our case for some conferences.
I think UConn is worth a lot more than $40-$50 mil if you include all the potential forced cable box households in RI, southern and western Mass, eastern NY, parts of New Jersey and PA. Just overlay UConn’s recruiting area in the northeast. Borders out west are very distinct, in the Northeast not so much.

Reaction Score

Another one...Duke.

Reaction Score
Our football program isn't just bad it's a national laughingstock. There is no way we are getting invited to anywhere right now.

Root for the ACC GOR holding that conference together for a few years while Mora can hopefully turn things around.

In the meantime everyone should be buying football tickets.

Reaction Score

It matters but only at the margins. Notre Dame get $+-10 million from the ACC. Full members get +-$4o million. And that includes some payment for football. New Big East members get $5.5 million for basketball, as the supposed 6th power conference. The reality is that basketball has a value in the $5-7 million range. Why? In part football is just more popular. But also you put your finger on the problem. Too many games and too many teams. Play 33 games and most are pretty meaningless. UConn loses to Butler on. a Tuesday in January and nobody probably notices outside the two school fanbases. UConn beats Michigan in football and it is THE top story of the weekend. Play 12 games and each one matters. You almost need to go undefeated to get into the fbs playoff. Power conference members can go to the ncaa tournament by finishing 6th. Regular season is meaningless. I can turn on a game virtually any time, day or night in season and find someone playing someone. The NCAA tournament is a different entity entirely. It is probably worth more in itself than the whole college basketball regular season.

Reaction Score
Timing is everything. Imagine if ACC expansion had occurred in 2009. We were going to Bowl games in 2007, 2008, 2009 (and The Fiesta Bowl in 2010. Meanwhile, Louisville was inept under Steve Kragthorpe, going to zero Bowl Games during that same period.
Bad timing may now affect Duke in the chatter about whether they merit another conference landing spot, especially if Coach K's replacement, Jon Scheyer, turns out to be "Steve Kragthorpe".

So let's see what happens with our chances at a better landing spot. Hiring Jim Mora and fielding an improved, motivated football team that reignites fan interest will go a long way in how we're perceived. Yes we have a short window, but we also have a real chance at turning the program around. The proof will come this fall, and while (for sure) there are lots of doubters, I remain an optimist. I'll be in Logan Utah to watch us outperform expectations on Aug 27th. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Timing is everything. Imagine if ACC expansion had occurred in 2009. We were going to Bowl games in 2007, 2008, 2009 (and The Fiesta Bowl in 2010. Meanwhile, Louisville was inept under Steve Kragthorpe, going to zero Bowl Games during that same period.
Bad timing may now affect Duke in the chatter about whether they merit another conference landing spot, especially if Coach K's replacement, Jon Scheyer, turns out to be "Steve Kragthorpe".

So let's see what happens with our chances at a better landing spot. Hiring Jim Mora and fielding an improved, motivated football team that reignites fan interest will go a long way in how we're perceived. Yes we have a short window, but we also have a real chance at turning the program around. The proof will come this fall, and while (for sure) there are lots of doubters, I remain an optimist. I'll be in Logan Utah to watch us outperform expectations on Aug 27th. Go Huskies!
Let us hope they bring the right cleats.

Reaction Score
Our football program isn't just bad it's a national laughingstock. There is no way we are getting invited to anywhere right now.

Root for the ACC GOR holding that conference together for a few years while Mora can hopefully turn things around.

In the meantime everyone should be buying football tickets.
Have the football programs at Duke and Kansas been any better? Especially during RE1.0 UConn was better than a lot of football teams in Big Time college football. Even the other coaching staffs before Diaco and the RE2.0 disaster we’re not too shabby. I guess you would love to ask Coach Mora why he wanted to coach a national laughingstock.

Reaction Score
Have the football programs at Duke and Kansas been any better? Especially during RE1.0 UConn was better than a lot of football teams in Big Time college football. Even the other coaching staffs before Diaco and the RE2.0 disaster we’re not too shabby. I guess you would love to ask Coach Mora why he wanted to coach a national laughingstock.
They're grandfathered in. UConn has made every wrong choice possible regarding the FB program since the Fiesta Bowl. They squandered all momentum built up to that point.

Reaction Score
I think UConn is worth a lot more than $40-$50 mil if you include all the potential forced cable box households in RI, southern and western Mass, eastern NY, parts of New Jersey and PA. Just overlay UConn’s recruiting area in the northeast. Borders out west are very distinct, in the Northeast not so much.
I like your passion, but I'm not sure what you are implying here. Uconn would count for Connecticut Cable Households. That's it. They would also get some consideration for streaming revenue as there is surely an online market for Men's and Women's Basketball as well as some Olympic Sports. They are not getting credit for PA or NJ Cable Households. That's ludicrous.

The issue that Uconn, Kansas, and potentially every school not named Notre Dame will face is that they cannot be dilutive to the overall conference payout. Even if Uconn was worth 50 Mil, they would still probably be 70 million away from being considered as a viable add. Lack of AAU Membership is viewed as a negative as well.

The best hope for Uconn is to show a pulse in football over the next 3-5 years and wait for ESPN to move product from The ACC into the SEC. The leftover schools like Pitt, Cuse, WF, BC Louisville, and a few others who are not going to The B1G or SEC may want to form a new conference as opposed to joining The Big 12. Maybe a new old Big East could be resurrected. A league with some solid properties could probably draw 20+ Per which beats the hell out of the 5.5 you are currently making.

Reaction Score
Don't know if this has been posted with all the CR stuff exploding all over the site but here's a great listen from the Uconn grad and Fox Sport guy, now living in LA, who interviewed Coach Mora awhile back.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don't know if this has been posted with all the CR stuff exploding all over the site but here's a great listen from the Uconn grad and Fox Sport guy, now living in LA, who interviewed Coach Mora awhile back.

What’s the bottom line on this? I got as far as Notre Dame is all that matters.

Reaction Score
What’s the bottom line on this? I got as far as Notre Dame is all that matters.
Nothing we haven't heard but I figured I'd put it here since ...TorresonUConn.... wraps it up in a bow. Talks Notre Dame and a partner ( Oregon, Stanford) to the B1G because the $$$ being too much to turn down even for the Irish ( he discusses NBC needing to get on it now if there's any chance-probably none- to keep them), then circles back to ACC team moves and their 2036 GOR. No Uconn, but obviously ACC moves would help us.

Reaction Score
They're grandfathered in. UConn has made every wrong choice possible regarding the FB program since the Fiesta Bowl. They squandered all momentum built up to that point.
No argument there, thanks to Jeff Hathaway. If DB had been our AD back in 2003 or 2004, we’d be in the ACC now. Despite the Hathaway handicap, UConn still had some very decent football years.

Reaction Score
I like your passion, but I'm not sure what you are implying here. Uconn would count for Connecticut Cable Households. That's it. They would also get some consideration for streaming revenue as there is surely an online market for Men's and Women's Basketball as well as some Olympic Sports. They are not getting credit for PA or NJ Cable Households. That's ludicrous.
Nice that you chose two states on the other side of New York and conveniently left out the southern half of Mass, Rhode Island, and the Hudson Valley. I might remind you that Storrs is only a few miles from two state borders.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No argument there, thanks to Jeff Hathaway. If DB had been our AD back in 2003 or 2004, we’d be in the ACC now. Despite the Hathaway handicap, UConn still had some very decent football years.​
saying GIF

Hathaway
!​

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22