USC and UCLA to the BIG Ten | Page 5 | The Boneyard

USC and UCLA to the BIG Ten

Reaction Score
I can't get a single poster on this board to tell me what they want to happen to UConn and why they want it to happen. Has this become a Notre Dame board?
IMO there are only 2 good scenarios for us.

#1 is the ACC schools somehow get out of the GOR ASAP, the conference falls apart quickly, and we wait to see who is leftover and decide if we join the leftovers.

#2 is that the PAC12 explodes and the Big XII absorbs the teams it wants. This leads the B1G to expand again and take Washington and Oregon before the Big XII can get them. All this movement and expansion of the Big XII and B1G makes the ACC decide it also needs to expand to keep up with the Joneses and protect itself from teams leaving in a decade. Hopefully we get a life raft there. At this point we hope the GOR is really strong and we have a power conference home for 10-12 years

The wildest scenario would be the SEC wanting to expand their footprint and somehow decide they want us but I think I have a better chance of hitting the lottery.

Reaction Score
Most likely - ACC fills some holes left by departures to the B1G and or SEC and UConn ends up in a league w/ teams that would garner no interest from the super conferences. BC, Syracuse, Wake, ect. The question is, how much interest will some of these teams garner from a revamped Big 12. A team like Pitt would be a natural for Big 12 inclusion w/ WVU and Cincy. Would they also be interested in Syracuse or NC State. Would Duke and UNC both be part of a B1G/SEC move? UNC and Virginia would be great fits for the SEC, but not Duke and Wake and NC State.

The question for UConn will be whether the Big East and independent football is better than the leftovers from the ACC. A lot depends on what ND decides

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is no way we are getting into the B1G or SEC.
I agree on the SEC, but I can see a scenario where the B1G is attracted to the UConn presence in the NY metro area and also sports beyond football. The B1G network would love filling air time w/ women’s hoops. The B1G is also in need of hockey programs.

On a less likely scenario, the ACC implodes and the B1G takes both UConn and BC to lock up the northeast.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
I agree on the SEC, but I can see a scenario where the B1G is attracted to the UConn presence in the NY metro area and also sports beyond football. The B1G network would love filling air time w/ women’s hoops. The B1G is also in need of hockey programs.

On a less likely scenario, the ACC implodes and the B1G takes both UConn and BC to lock up the northeast.
I just can't see anyone taking BC. At least UConn has the basketball thing going for it. What does BC have? Seems like they'd take Pittsburgh or Syracuse before BC.

Reaction Score
ND, since they are now in the driver's seat, can afford to wait until 2024 to make a decision. That will also maximize their leverage. And that will slow things down UNLESS the SEC poaches from the ACC immeditely (which they do not seem intent on doing). So ND waiting would put a pause in the game for a bit.

Gotta think that Stanford and Cal are both more attractive to the B1G than Washington, so those two with Oregon and ND would make sense for the BiG to get to 20.

Clemson and FSU are obviously eager to get to the SEC. Who else? Take your pick or ask ESPN. Will the remains of the ACC be attractive to join? Who knows? Who might get an invitation? Whomever ESPN wants to invite, I suppose.

Just guessing in all of this. I.e. JMHO.

Reaction Score

There is not a world where that scenario will happen.

This is 100% about football and it’s served for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Being with the ACC leftovers is the most possible scenario.

Reaction Score
Nice that you chose two states on the other side of New York and conveniently left out the southern half of Mass, Rhode Island, and the Hudson Valley. I might remind you that Storrs is only a few miles from two state borders.
You wouldn’t get credit for those either, unless you are defined as being in their DMA. I could assure you there would be no credit for cable boxes in PA or NJ.

Reaction Score
There is not a world where that scenario will happen.

This is 100% about football and it’s served for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Being with the ACC leftovers is the most possible scenario.
I guess, but how’s it even going to matter? The big machers have been planning this since the early 80s. They wanted to break away from the NCAA and form their own football league where every week it was a bowl matchup. Now they have it. All the rest is not going to matter. It’s going to be like Ivy League, Mac football, all these other leagues that national media pays no attention to. Might as well focus on basketball because anything other than SEC and B1G won’t matter. Big East had the right idea.

Reaction Score
Most likely - ACC fills some holes left by departures to the B1G and or SEC and UConn ends up in a league w/ teams that would garner no interest from the super conferences. BC, Syracuse, Wake, ect. The question is, how much interest will some of these teams garner from a revamped Big 12. A team like Pitt would be a natural for Big 12 inclusion w/ WVU and Cincy. Would they also be interested in Syracuse or NC State. Would Duke and UNC both be part of a B1G/SEC move? UNC and Virginia would be great fits for the SEC, but not Duke and Wake and NC State.

The question for UConn will be whether the Big East and independent football is better than the leftovers from the ACC. A lot depends on what ND decides
Right now being in The Big East and playing independent football pays about 6 mil. If An other guys league pays 10 or more with a consistent football schedule then the answer is yes.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Right now being in The Big East and playing independent football pays about 6 mil. If An other guys league pays 10 or more with a consistent football schedule then the answer is yes.
That number is likely to grow by about an additional 3 million with the new Big East/FOX deal.

Reaction Score
I like your passion, but I'm not sure what you are implying here. Uconn would count for Connecticut Cable Households. That's it. They would also get some consideration for streaming revenue as there is surely an online market for Men's and Women's Basketball as well as some Olympic Sports. They are not getting credit for PA or NJ Cable Households. That's ludicrous.

The issue that Uconn, Kansas, and potentially every school not named Notre Dame will face is that they cannot be dilutive to the overall conference payout. Even if Uconn was worth 50 Mil, they would still probably be 70 million away from being considered as a viable add. Lack of AAU Membership is viewed as a negative as well.

The best hope for Uconn is to show a pulse in football over the next 3-5 years and wait for ESPN to move product from The ACC into the SEC. The leftover schools like Pitt, Cuse, WF, BC Louisville, and a few others who are not going to The B1G or SEC may want to form a new conference as opposed to joining The Big 12. Maybe a new old Big East could be resurrected. A league with some solid properties could probably draw 20+ Per which beats the hell out of the 5.5 you are currently making.
That’s the least likely of all scenarios, not happening.

Reaction Score

#1 is the ACC schools somehow get out of the GOR ASAP, the conference falls apart quickly, and we wait to see who is leftover and decide if we join the leftovers.

#2 is that the PAC12 explodes and the Big XII absorbs the teams it wants. This leads the B1G to expand again and take Washington and Oregon before the Big XII can get them. All this movement and expansion of the Big XII and B1G makes the ACC decide it also needs to expand to keep up with the Joneses and protect itself from teams leaving in a decade. Hopefully we get a life raft there. At this point we hope the GOR is really strong and we have a power conference home for 10-12 years

The wildest scenario would be the SEC wanting to expand their footprint and somehow decide they want us but I think I have a better chance of hitting the lottery.
If that happened, Jim Penders would be popping the champagne corks.

Reaction Score
I think UConn is worth a lot more than $40-$50 mil if you include all the potential forced cable box households in RI, southern and western Mass, eastern NY, parts of New Jersey and PA. Just overlay UConn’s recruiting area in the northeast. Borders out west are very distinct, in the Northeast not so much.
I hope this is true. I agree that UConn's reach for cable boxes does extend outside of Connecticut.
I think what happens is that the ACC takes a proactive stance and UConn gets an invite. This is especially true if Notre Dame leaves. There are valuable teams out there now, but if the PAC and BIG 12 combine and sign a long term GOR for 20+ years, then there won't be enough high value backfill teams when inevitably 4-6 teams get picked off by the BIG 10 and SEC. I think the ACC might try to add 5 teams to get to 20. UConn, Baylor, Kansas, Oklahoma State, and Cincinatti would probably make the most sense. If the ACC wants to expand into the west coast, then that certainly opens up options such as Stanford, Cal, Washington, and Oregon as a west coast pod. I think the ACC needs to aggressively expand now to pick up the most valuable brands while it still can and become the clear 3rd best conference even if it loses a few of the top brands to poaching in the future.

Reaction Score
Nice that you chose two states on the other side of New York and conveniently left out the southern half of Mass, Rhode Island, and the Hudson Valley. I might remind you that Storrs is only a few miles from two state borders.
No argument there, thanks to Jeff Hathaway. If DB had been our AD back in 2003 or 2004, we’d be in the ACC now. Despite the Hathaway handicap, UConn still had some very decent football years.
Hathaway was inept no doubt but letting Susan and Warde off the hook is criminal. She didn’t help and he was inept.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Have the football programs at Duke and Kansas been any better? Especially during RE1.0 UConn was better than a lot of football teams in Big Time college football. Even the other coaching staffs before Diaco and the RE2.0 disaster we’re not too shabby. I guess you would love to ask Coach Mora why he wanted to coach a national laughingstock.
“Even the other coaching staffs before Diaco” aka Paul Pasqualoni (aka Edsall’s staff plus GDL) was “not too shabby”.

I have lots of respect for Coach P, but that comment is hilarious to me… that kind of talk would have started a riot around here back in 2014!

Reaction Score
Hathaway was inept no doubt but letting Susan and Warde off the hook is criminal. She didn’t help and he was inept.
I would not call Warde inept, he was just a lazy fat slob who couldn’t wait to get out of Storrs. He hired Diaco because he didn’t give a sh….it. He fiddled while Storrs burned.

Reaction Score
I hope this is true. I agree that UConn's reach for cable boxes does extend outside of Connecticut.
I think what happens is that the ACC takes a proactive stance and UConn gets an invite. This is especially true if Notre Dame leaves. There are valuable teams out there now, but if the PAC and BIG 12 combine and sign a long term GOR for 20+ years, then there won't be enough high value backfill teams when inevitably 4-6 teams get picked off by the BIG 10 and SEC. I think the ACC might try to add 5 teams to get to 20. UConn, Baylor, Kansas, Oklahoma State, and Cincinatti would probably make the most sense. If the ACC wants to expand into the west coast, then that certainly opens up options such as Stanford, Cal, Washington, and Oregon as a west coast pod. I think the ACC needs to aggressively expand now to pick up the most valuable brands while it still can and become the clear 3rd best conference even if it loses a few of the top brands to poaching in the future.
The ACC isn’t adding teams unless they add value. ESPN is paying more for any of the teams you mentioned and the existing teams in the ACC are certainly not going to take a pay cut.

Reaction Score
“Even the other coaching staffs before Diaco” aka Paul Pasqualoni (aka Edsall’s staff plus GDL) was “not too shabby”.

I have lots of respect for Coach P, but that comment is hilarious to me… that kind of talk would have started a riot around here back in 2014!
2011 …….. 5-7 and 3-4 in the Big East, some close losses, beat Cuse and blew out Rutgers

2012………. 5-7 and 2-5 in Big East play
Again some close losses, beat #18 Louisville at Louisville in triple OT
Beat Maryland, Buffalo, Pitt, and shut out UMass 37-0

2013………,3-9 and 3-5 in the American

PP is canned after 4 losses, although one of them was a hard fought valiant effort losing 21-24 to #15 Michigan.
TJ closes out the season with 3 wins against Rutgers, Temple, and blowout of Memphis.

I’d call those three seasons under Pasqualoni and TJ not too shabby when you compare that to 2-10 and 0-8 in conference under Edsall with almost every loss an embarrassing blowout, and the following year 1-11 as an independent with almost every game an embarrassing blowout against 2nd and 3rd stringers.

What made UConn football a laughing stock was RE2.0. and a slow disintegration of the program under Red Pants. The 2011, 2012, and 2013 were decent teams with kids that fought hard. Ok knowitall?

Reaction Score
They're grandfathered in. UConn has made every wrong choice possible regarding the FB program since the Fiesta Bowl. They squandered all momentum built up to that point.
Rutgers?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

#2 is the first scenario I have seen that actually makes any sense, even if it is a longshot.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
2011 …….. 5-7 and 3-4 in the Big East, some close losses, beat Cuse and blew out Rutgers

2012………. 5-7 and 2-5 in Big East play
Again some close losses, beat #18 Louisville at Louisville in triple OT
Beat Maryland, Buffalo, Pitt, and shut out UMass 37-0

2013………,3-9 and 3-5 in the American

PP is canned after 4 losses, although one of them was a hard fought valiant effort losing 21-24 to #15 Michigan.
TJ closes out the season with 3 wins against Rutgers, Temple, and blowout of Memphis.

I’d call those three seasons under Pasqualoni and TJ not too shabby when you compare that to 2-10 and 0-8 in conference under Edsall with almost every loss an embarrassing blowout, and the following year 1-11 as an independent with almost every game an embarrassing blowout against 2nd and 3rd stringers.

What made UConn football a laughing stock was RE2.0. and a slow disintegration of the program under Red Pants. The 2011, 2012, and 2013 were decent teams with kids that fought hard. Ok knowitall?

You missed my point. This forum was furious with HCPP in 2013. He was (somewhat unfairly) besmirched here for years.

As you stated, the 2013 team was decent… but old Paul got fired after an embarrassing 0-4 start. Things were not good! We were excited for Diaco for crying out loud.

You couldn’t remember PP’s name. Don’t tell me he went 3-9 in 2013. Chill out dude.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom