USC and UCLA to the BIG Ten | Page 15 | The Boneyard

USC and UCLA to the BIG Ten

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
If I had to guess, OSU's would be Mich, PSU and MD. PSU's would be OSU, MSU, and Rutgers.

Trade out MD for Illinois as OSU’s protected and you could be very right.

dayooper

Reaction Score
What do you think of the 3–6 scheduling model? Obviously, the big 10 is the gold standard of conference management and intelligent realignment, Rutgers notwithstanding, but I think the cost of mega-conferences inevitably means the loss of rivalries, and semi rivalries that you get with a smaller conference.

Thanks for the kind words, we’ve noticed that you all are doing something right as well. ;)

Not sure the Big10 is the model (the first try at divisions was useless and their reaction to Covid in 2020 almost got Warren fired). I think the 3-6 model is the best fit when USC/UCLA enter the conference in 2024. It allows better protection for rivalry games (we have hardly played Minnesota since we went to 14 teams) and gives flexibility to have the schools see each other more often than large divisions. I think that flexibility will bring more cohesion within the conference and be better prepared if/when more expansion happens.

If more expansion does happen, I believe we will go to a 10 game conference schedule and how that will look is beyond me. Maybe go to a pod style where (if 20 teams) there are 5 teams per pod, they play another pod (9 games) and the extra game is a protected rivalry when they aren’t in the same pod? Who knows?

As far as UM’s success the last 2 years, we are loving the ride. The RichRod/Hoke years humbled us and now I take nothing for granted. I have learned some of the interworkings of the RichRod regime and all I will say is that I am glad he is gone and hope he never comes back to UM. (It’s not football reasons either).

dayooper

Reaction Score

I know there are many in Big10 Country that will want to help pack his office. I believe he was brought in for 1 reason and that was to negotiate the new media deal. With that done, he may want to move on.

Reaction Score
In the 11-team B1G, OSU’s 3 protected rivals were Michigan, Penn State and Illinois.

Reaction Score
In the 11-team B1G, OSU’s 3 protected rivals were Michigan, Penn State and Illinois.
OSU-PSU is the second biggest game in the conference behind OSU-Michigan. OSU-PSU usually gets a prime time TV slot, and a high profile visit from ESPN's College GameDay. Hard for me to believe the conference wouldn't want to protect that just so OSU can play an annual game against Illinois and UCLA in front of 10,000 fans.

dayooper

Reaction Score
OSU-PSU is the second biggest game in the conference behind OSU-Michigan. OSU-PSU usually gets a prime time TV slot, and a high profile visit from ESPN's College GameDay. Hard for me to believe the conference wouldn't want to protect that just so OSU can play an annual game against Illinois and UCLA in front of 10,000 fans.
Does OSU want to have 2 of their 3 protected rivals as Michigan and PSU? The biggest issue with the divisions when OSU and Michigan weren’t together is it put both of them at a disadvantage. They had to play each other while other schools didn’t have as hard of a road.

You also have to include USC as well. It’s why I put the PSU/ USC game as a protected rivalry. They will still play each other twice in four years. Throw on PSU to OSU’s protected schedule and the years when they play USC just became that much harder. Imagine if Alabama played Georgia every year. What a payday it would be for the SEC/ESPN. Why don’t they do it? It puts those 2 at a competitive disadvantage.

The contract is signed. If having PSU/OSU as a protected rivalry was negotiated, it will happen. If it’s not, why would OSU agree to it?

Reaction Score

Q: How is USC’s and UCLA’s move to the Big Ten in 2024 going to change things for these teams on the court? What pluses, minuses or issues does the move present for basketball that are different from, say, football?

Adam: The biggest thing is road games and travel. Unlike football, the bulk of basketball travel is done during winter months, and teams usually are gone three to four nights, compared to two-night football trips. Those trips to Lincoln, State College, New Brunswick and Ann Arbor could be very draining for the two L.A. schools.

Tarek: Short answer. It’s a money move that makes all the sense in the world. The TV deal is going to be $1 billion, with a B. UCLA hoops and USC football recruit pro-minded prospects. The travel is no different than their foundational goal of being a pro.

Reaction Score

Q: How is USC’s and UCLA’s move to the Big Ten in 2024 going to change things for these teams on the court? What pluses, minuses or issues does the move present for basketball that are different from, say, football?

Adam: The biggest thing is road games and travel. Unlike football, the bulk of basketball travel is done during winter months, and teams usually are gone three to four nights, compared to two-night football trips. Those trips to Lincoln, State College, New Brunswick and Ann Arbor could be very draining for the two L.A. schools.

Tarek: Short answer. It’s a money move that makes all the sense in the world. The TV deal is going to be $1 billion, with a B. UCLA hoops and USC football recruit pro-minded prospects. The travel is no different than their foundational goal of being a pro.
Working the employees (the student athletes) harder to make more money for their employer with no change in pay. The athletes need a union and a collective bargaining agreement. And travel time should be subtracted from practice time using some sort of formula. Want to travel coast to coast? That will cost you some practice time or some other compensation for the extra hours.

Reaction Score
Unless you're a handful of southern teams, no one really has a chance to win it. The B1G has one natty in the last couple of decades. We may suck at football, but even we have more national championships in sports people care about than the B1G in that time frame.

Reaction Score
It’s 8.75 hours to fly commercially to Rutgers, according to the email.

LA to Newark is 5 1/2 hours. I think the 8.75 hours is including the time change, though the article expressly says it does not.
I'm thinking it is total travel time from campus-to-campus, including transit to and from airports as well as time allotted for arrival prior to the flight.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm thinking it is total travel time from campus-to-campus, including transit to and from airports as well as time allotted for arrival prior to the flight.
Probably, which I actually think is more relevant than flight time, but that’s not what the article says. It says “8.75 hours to fly commercially” and then later in the article, it says that that doesn’t include dry time from the airport.

Reaction Score
I'm really intrigued with the AZ schools. What is the best-case scenario for them, or what would you want if you were a fan? Both have very good athletic departments. $1.3 billion endowments. Huge enrollments. Arizona is AAU and losing its best basketball rival. Don't get me wrong, I'm not shedding any tears. I don't see anything written about them outside of the Big 12 but here are two heavy weights whose nearest conference mate is going to be SDSU. Could one go B1G and one go SEC? If not, it seems they'd both be better off in the B1g 12 with the Kansases and Texas schools.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Said this awhile ago. It just makes financial sense to have USC/UCLA permanent games against one of the Big 3. I think OSU is a given and probably PSU for the other, but Michigan wouldn’t surprise me either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom