USC and UCLA to the BIG Ten | Page 13 | The Boneyard

USC and UCLA to the BIG Ten

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
No, I’m saying when these teams first came they sold out. Now they bring pretty good crowds but they no longer attract the casual fan who might go to see the big name. If Michigan went out to play UCLA this year, and probably won’t do it for another 15 years it would be an event. If they do it every other year, not so much. And it isn’t a rivalry game like USC or for USC Norte Dame. It isn’t the Rose Bowl like back in the day. Its just another league game. Will they draw better than Utah State? Sure. Sell outs? Probably not in the long term.

It’s not long distance travel. It’s the alumni that live there. Sure many will travel the distance at the beginning, but it’s the alumni that live out there will continue to go. There are a bunch of Big10 alumni in Cali (and NYC). Those stadiums won’t always sell out, but there will always Michigan, Ohio State and PSU fans happy as they will have a game in their own back yard. There’s a bunch of Big10 Alumni that live in Phoenix and Seattle as well.

Reaction Score

Most accurate statement ever….

“I’m going to be respectful; obviously we have next week there’s a regents meeting and that’s great,” Jarmond said. “I don’t want to say too much except for, people travel all the time. This is straight from our student-athletes; when you’re elite level, you play club and you travel everywhere. It’s not like you stay in the same state and play all the time. You’re in California. You’re in Florida. You’re in Texas. Elite athletes have been doing this since they were 12 years old. So that’s no different.”

Jarmond said “people go to extremes” in portraying the travel that will be involved for UCLA’s teams in the Big Ten. Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff has even stated that the impending move will be more costly than beneficial to UCLA.

“You’d think we’re going to play Rutgers every week,” Jarmond said. “You’re not going across (the country) every week. You might be in a conference or a situation where you’re talking about five trips, five times, then by the way one might be different; it might be a leg that’s combined so you might be talking about four. You’re talking about four times a year where you may have two hours here, two hours there, whatever more. In the grand scheme of things, it’s not that much.

Reaction Score

Most accurate statement ever….

“I’m going to be respectful; obviously we have next week there’s a regents meeting and that’s great,” Jarmond said. “I don’t want to say too much except for, people travel all the time. This is straight from our student-athletes; when you’re elite level, you play club and you travel everywhere. It’s not like you stay in the same state and play all the time. You’re in California. You’re in Florida. You’re in Texas. Elite athletes have been doing this since they were 12 years old. So that’s no different.”

Jarmond said “people go to extremes” in portraying the travel that will be involved for UCLA’s teams in the Big Ten. Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff has even stated that the impending move will be more costly than beneficial to UCLA.

“You’d think we’re going to play Rutgers every week,” Jarmond said. “You’re not going across (the country) every week. You might be in a conference or a situation where you’re talking about five trips, five times, then by the way one might be different; it might be a leg that’s combined so you might be talking about four. You’re talking about four times a year where you may have two hours here, two hours there, whatever more. In the grand scheme of things, it’s not that much.
If you're just talking about football I suppose.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score

UC Board of Regents reportedly unlikely to overturn UCLA move​

The University of California Board of Regents is “extremely unlikely” to block UCLA’s move to the Big Ten when it meets to consider the decision on Wednesday, per a source cited by the San Jose Mercury-News, as doing so could create a “dangerous precedent within the UC system.” Per the Washington Post, it is not clear whether the Board has the authority to overturn the UCLA move even if it wants to.

The Pac-12 has said it is delaying its decision on its media rights deal until the UCLA situation is resolved.

Reaction Score
I'm listening to the meeting now. They are voting to approve UCLA to the B1G with 11 recommendations and one is that UCLA will pay Cal $2 million - $10 million per year, with the amount to be determined later by a recommendation from the President and the Board has final approval of how much that will be.

Final vote was 11-5 to join the Big Ten.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I guess the payment to Cal is a one time only payment from articles I've read online. So essentially, UCLA must pay an "exit fee" to Cal of $2-$10 million. Exact amount TBD.

Reaction Score
Some articles are saying the UCLA tax to Cal will be annual. $2 million - $10 million, depending on the amount of the next PAC media rights contract.

This might serve as leverage to help Cal get into the B1G.

Reaction Score
I saw a tweet calling it CALimony.

I wonder how Cal having more revenue than the rest of the PAC will sit with the other PAC schools?

Reaction Score
Some articles are saying the UCLA tax to Cal will be annual. $2 million - $10 million, depending on the amount of the next PAC media rights contract.

This might serve as leverage to help Cal get into the B1G.
Or maybe Kevin Warren says screw you and goes for Stanford as the last California school to the B1G and lets Cal die on the Pac vine.

Reaction Score
Or maybe Kevin Warren says screw you and goes for Stanford as the last California school to the B1G and lets Cal die on the Pac vine.
Agreed. Stanford is more value than Cal. Cal is still a prestigious research institution. I think that is the only thing it has going for it in terms of having something the B1G might want.

I guess it depends on how big the B1G wants to become. The PAC has some low hanging fruit and it does seem unlikely that USC and UCLA will be the only schools out West by themselves. At the same time, the B1G and SEC surely are going to pounce all over the top ACC brands at some point in the future.

Which is more valuable for the B1G? Owning the Pacific Time Zone as a monopoly (Oregon/Washington/Stanford/Cal) or expanding into the southeast to encroach upon SEC territory (Miami/FSU/Clemson/UNC)? If they do both, we are looking at at least a 24 team conference. If they do one or the other, we are looking at an 18-20 team conference.

Reaction Score
Money quote: “I would love there to be harmony amongst everybody,'' said Rich Leib, chair of the UC Regents. "To be honest with you, I would love for Cal in the Big Ten. ... But that’s not where it is right now.’’

Leib said the regents explored the possibility of the Big Ten taking Cal and adding additional Pac-12 schools -- Stanford, Washington and Oregon.

"We certainly put some pressure on to see if we could,'' he said. "In the end, the expansion was not going to be on the table for us.’’

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom