USC and UCLA to the BIG Ten | Page 11 | The Boneyard

USC and UCLA to the BIG Ten

Reaction Score
I think the only possible landing place eventually for UConn will be the ACC and that is a long way away. The Big 12 has already rejected UConn, and the PAC 12 is too far away. There may be movement elsewhere, but it won't unfortunately involve UConn, unless somehow the ACC manages to break up before the GOR.
The Big 12 rejected everyone. Then its top brands decided to leave and it reacted. Nothing is written in stone so who knows.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 rejected everyone. Then its top brands decided to leave and it reacted. Nothing is written in stone so who knows.
Yet they subsequently took Cincinnati, UCF, BYU, and Houston. as they were given a call back. No call back for UConn. Where was ESPN? They supported no expansion the first time and even suggested that the Big 12 take UConn that time if they did expand. But silence from them since.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yet they subsequently took Cincinnati, UCF, BYU, and Houston. as they were given a call back. No call back for UConn. Where was ESPN? They supported no expansion the first time and even suggested that the Big 12 take UConn that time if they did expand. But silence from them since.
LOL, we haven’t gotten any invites from the Pac 12 either. To be honest I’m not sure Connecticut should have taken it, if I offered. It’s a horrid that geographic fit for us and we’ve “been there and done that“ about being in a middle America league with which we have no natural rivals. At that time without Oklahoma and Texas the big 12 looked to be vulnerable to consolidation, i.e., the weakest of the P5. After the raid on the Pac 12 it may no longer be.

The ACC at least has two northeastern schools, along with some traditional basketball powers. it would be a better fit for us in many ways. I’m not at all sure, though, that the ACC remains a power conference. The GOR was necessary to keep the conference together, but you now have a group of schools increasingly desperate to leave as their media deal doesn’t keep pace with the big boys. The conventional wisdom is that the strongest of the ACC teams will leave once the GOR runs down a little bit and Connecticut will end up in a conference with those who do not. Not optimal, but it is what it is.

Reaction Score
LOL, we haven’t gotten any invites from the Pac 12 either. To be honest I’m not sure Connecticut should have taken it, if I offered. It’s a horrid that geographic fit for us and we’ve “been there and done that“ about being in a middle America league with which we have no natural rivals. At that time without Oklahoma and Texas the big 12 looked to be vulnerable to consolidation, i.e., the weakest of the P5. After the raid on the Pac 12 it may no longer be.

The ACC at least has two northeastern schools, along with some traditional basketball powers. it would be a better fit for us in many ways. I’m not at all sure, though, that the ACC remains a power conference. The GOR was necessary to keep the conference together, but you now have a group of schools increasingly desperate to leave as their media deal doesn’t keep pace with the big boys. The conventional wisdom is that the strongest of the ACC teams will leave once the GOR runs down a little bit and Connecticut will end up in a conference with those who do not. Not optimal, but it is what it is.
You are logical as usual with a little bit of sarcasm. Of course when OK and TX left the Big 12 and they had to expand, no one saw the the B1G would then take UCLA and USC and totally change the landscape of college athletics. I say that UConn could have lobbied ESPN to get a Big 12 invite when Cinci, UCF, BYU, and Houston were invited because I think it would be better for UConn to already be a member of a power conference with a sizable payday when the ACC implodes as there may be no ACC left to join. Can one speculate who will be leftover in the ACC? I suspect only BC, Wake and Duke will be left.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You are logical as usual with a little bit of sarcasm. Of course when OK and TX left the Big 12 and they had to expand, no one saw the the B1G would then take UCLA and USC and totally change the landscape of college athletics. I say that UConn could have lobbied ESPN to get a Big 12 invite when Cinci, UCF, BYU, and Houston were invited because I think it would be better for UConn to already be a member of a power conference with a sizable payday when the ACC implodes as there may be no ACC left to join. Can one speculate who will be leftover in the ACC? I suspect only BC, Wake and Duke will be left.
Yeah, I’m not so sure that that really is a better alternative for us. The American sucked for us. The travel was a grind and nobody really cared about opponents. Granted the big 12 has some more interesting teams but I’m not sure it would be worth it given the then apparent unstability.

Reaction Score
Has anyone ever heard of the Couz? Stumbled upon his vids today.

Reaction Score

UCLA’s move to the Big Ten in 2024 is expected to generate earlier kickoff times for conference games. One person with knowledge of the proposed scheduling models not authorized to comment publicly because they have not been finalized said that most games would start earlier in the day, with an occasional start in the late-night television window.

“That’s why I’ll commend our administration about that move to the Big Ten,” Kelly said of the increased viewership that comes with earlier starts. “There’s a huge monetary gain going to the Big Ten, but I think the exposure that our student-athletes get — and that’s what our goal is all the time, the main thing has to be about our student-athletes — and the more exposure we can get our student-athletes by moving to that league is a really cool deal.”

Reaction Score
I imagine the B1G will alternate having USC and UCLA on the road. Road team gets an earlier start in an eastern time zone, home team gets a night game. This will allow the B1G to have games going from noon until midnight every Saturday by staggering the start times and networks.

Reaction Score

""I don’t believe that joining the Big 10 is in the best interest of UCLA, its students, its athletes, its alumni, its fans, the rest of the UC system, the State of California, or the world at large," wrote Walton, one of the most iconic athletes in Pac-12 history and an NBA Hall of Famer."

• this proposed move to the Big 10, is all about football, and money,
  • what about all the other 24 sports and 600+student-athletes at UCLA, who are responsible for 99+% of UCLA’s National Championships,

Reaction Score
This info sounds familiar

So I listened to this podcast in its entirety & had two thoughts:
1. While the host mentioned Storr's proximity to Boston when he said that UConn's media area would be the XII's 5th largest if added, he made no mention of the Huskies's proximity to New York City. I don't think that he had any clue about UConn's contract with SNY & its fanbase in New York along the Nutmeg State's western border.
2.This podcast was recorded in July: with the progress the football team has already made, & with our future expectations of what could happen in the last 3 games of the season, I have visions of the host being serenaded by Toby Keith singing "How do you like be NOW?"!

As to his comments about UConn not being a cultural fit because Connecticut is a Blue State, What does that have to do with athletic competition? The only point that matters is getting the Huskies into a more stable financial situation & the XII has just finished negotiating its pot at the end of its rainbow.

Reaction Score
I don't think the XII makes sense for UCONN unless the money issues in the short-term are really dire. Maybe they are. There is a much better regional alignment than the XII and it's going to come about once the BiG and SEC are done plundering what they want from the PAC and ACC. This is going to require a little patience and vision. The move out of the AAC may turn out to have been absolutely brilliant when all is said and done.

Reaction Score
So I listened to this podcast in its entirety & had two thoughts:
1. While the host mentioned Storr's proximity to Boston when he said that UConn's media area would be the XII's 5th largest if added, he made no mention of the Huskies's proximity to New York City. I don't think that he had any clue about UConn's contract with SNY & its fanbase in New York along the Nutmeg State's western border.
2.This podcast was recorded in July: with the progress the football team has already made, & with our future expectations of what could happen in the last 3 games of the season, I have visions of the host being serenaded by Toby Keith singing "How do you like be NOW?"!

As to his comments about UConn not being a cultural fit because Connecticut is a Blue State, What does that have to do with athletic competition? The only point that matters is getting the Huskies into a more stable financial situation & the XII has just finished negotiating its pot at the end of its rainbow.
The other point that this hillbilly made was about distance of UConn to XII opponents. He said that W.Va. is closest. Then he mentioned Cinci, saying it is closer to Kansas than Hartford. My thoughts on this were that MAY be true, BUT BDL has regular nonstops to the Queen City & it only about a 2.5 hour flight, When you add in Orlando for UCF, I'll bet that the host has no clue about Avelo's cheap flights out of TWEED & competing flights out of BDL.
I'm just saying he didn't do enough homework.

Reaction Score
This is the first article I can remember seeing where Stanford talks about realignment.

From the article….

He then explained Stanford’s parameters in making a conference change decision: “From a Stanford point of view, what we want is to make sure that we can continue to provide an exceptional academic and athletic experience to our extraordinary student athletes and also to be part of a competitive conference that is stable and also financially viable.”

He added, “What time frame exactly is unclear but the negotiations are ongoing.”

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
This is the first article I can remember seeing where Stanford talks about realignment.

From the article….

He then explained Stanford’s parameters in making a conference change decision: “From a Stanford point of view, what we want is to make sure that we can continue to provide an exceptional academic and athletic experience to our extraordinary student athletes and also to be part of a competitive conference that is stable and also financially viable.”

He added, “What time frame exactly is unclear but the negotiations are ongoing.”
. . . negotiations are ongoing. I caught this passage as well.

That could be taken in many ways. Negotiations within the conference on unequal shares, negotiations with media partners or with other conferences are all possibilities.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom