USC and UCLA to the BIG Ten | Page 12 | The Boneyard

USC and UCLA to the BIG Ten

Reaction Score
USC, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, etc. will all help fill the Rose Bowl for UCLA home games in the B1G.

Reaction Score
One key point few people mention - the legal ramifications for UCLA to back out of their signed agreement with the B1G. Not that it would happen, but that is a ramification if it did.

Reaction Score
The entire world of CR is sad. They are bending over backwards trying to make it less painful for student athletes when the solution to college sports is quite simple. Keep it regional.
Probably what will happen in the long run for non-football and basketball. Let the money sports fly around in private jets, the other sports can take 2-3 hr bus rides to their conference games.

Reaction Score
Insanity. USC football might thrive. All the other sports? Flush.

1668699773220.png

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The addition of Penn State to the old Big East conference would have been such a nice fit. I sometimes wonder if it would have stabilized the conference.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The entire world of CR is sad. They are bending over backwards trying to make it less painful for student athletes when the solution to college sports is quite simple. Keep it regional.

I have been on this soap box for years...

Reaction Score
The GOR is allegedly ironclad until 2035
I suspect that will be tested at some point.

One would think that might be so.

Yet...it isn't very attractive to a conference to invite a program whose media rights might take several years to untangle in the courts and might not be won.

And that is on top of the $100 million Exit Fee (which, I suppose could be loaned and taken out of future proceeds).

Speaking from Atlanta, though, Sankey mentioned that his conference has no plans to meddle with teams that are in conferences with strong Grant of Rights deals, like the ACC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The future of college sports is definitely individual payments based on the value a school offers to TV and then at that point conference has much less relevance. Ohio state is worth 130 million per year and northwestern 20 million. There's no way they are both going to make 75 million per year in the long run. The big schools will start negotiating individual deals similar to how Notre Dame has. The current system makes absolutely no sense.

Reaction Score
USC, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, etc. will all help fill the Rose Bowl for UCLA home games in the B1G.
Yeah you would think that but it isn’t necessarily so. Once they become regular visitors the theme becomes “The Thrill is gone”. Bigger crowds than Washington State? Maybe so but sell outs? Not unless the UCLAN is 8-0 when Michigan comes to town. If you look at Maryland they are down from there early B10 days. They averaged over 40,000 in 2015 and now are at 21,000. They had 41,000 for Ohio State. Capacity of their place is over 51000. Same with Rutgers. They got lots of folks early on to see the name programs. Now not so much. Northwestern is reducing capacity from 47000 to 35000. Bottom line is when those games become normal affairs, they cease being such a big deal and draw much smaller crowds.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Yeah you would think that but it isn’t necessarily so. Once they become regular visitors the theme becomes “The Thrill is gone”. Bigger crowds than Washington State? Maybe so but sell outs? Not unless the UCLAN is 8-0 when Michigan comes to town. If you look at Maryland they are down from there early B10 days. They averaged over 40,000 in 2015 and now are at 21,000. They had 41,000 for Ohio State. Capacity of their place is over 51000. Same with Rutgers. They got lots of folks early on to see the name programs. Now not so much. Northwestern is reducing capacity from 47000 to 35000. Bottom line is when those games become normal affairs, they cease being such a big deal and draw much smaller crowds.

Wait, you are saying that a team brings in 20,000 more fans than normal (only 10,000 less than capacity) and it’s a bad thing? It’s not the home team fans that go to the games, but the name program’s fans. Michigan, OSU, PSU and to a lesser extent Wisconsin, Iowa and Nebraska all travel well. There are many Big10 alumni that live in Cali and many will most definitely go to the game. Sports are a very large part of the culture of the schools and they want to see games.

Reaction Score
No, I’m saying when these teams first came they sold out. Now they bring pretty good crowds but they no longer attract the casual fan who might go to see the big name. If Michigan went out to play UCLA this year, and probably won’t do it for another 15 years it would be an event. If they do it every other year, not so much. And it isn’t a rivalry game like USC or for USC Norte Dame. It isn’t the Rose Bowl like back in the day. Its just another league game. Will they draw better than Utah State? Sure. Sell outs? Probably not in the long term.

Reaction Score
I kind of agree with Freescooter about continued long distance travel.

A bunch of us FSU fans, for instance, did travel to South Bend, Columbus, Ann Arbor...Once....to "punch our ticket". But we certainly wouldn't do so year after year.

There is a small contingent that go to away Notre Dame games...but many of those who go are alumni living in Chicago and are members of the Windy City Seminole Club.

If there are solid numbers of alumni and fans of B1G teams living in Southern California, they will go.

Reaction Score
Well, what’s most important here is that this is being driven by what’s best for the student-athlete experience, although some might cynically believe it’s all about the mighty dollar.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom