USC and UCLA to the BIG Ten | Page 10 | The Boneyard

USC and UCLA to the BIG Ten

Reaction Score

These articles crack me up. USC and UCLA have nothing to do with making the BiG a better on-field football conference. They bring one single critical ingredient to the BiG........a huge and lucrative market. The BiG and SEC will grab he best of the rest in the PAC along a north-south divide. The BiG and SEC may or may not have the patience to wait out the GOR in the ACC to grab the premier program there.

College football and eventually basketball will then bifurcate. Professional franchises affiliated with universities with the remaining programs resembling something we recognize as traditional college athletics. It's not if it's when this happens.

Reaction Score
These articles crack me up. USC and UCLA have nothing to do with making the BiG a better on-field football conference. They bring one single critical ingredient to the BiG........a huge and lucrative market. The BiG and SEC will grab he best of the rest in the PAC along a north-south divide. The BiG and SEC may or may not have the patience to wait out the GOR in the ACC to grab the premier program there.

College football and eventually basketball will then bifurcate. Professional franchises affiliated with universities with the remaining programs resembling something we recognize as traditional college athletics. It's not if it's when this happens.
The move by UCONN to the N Big East may be one of the most enlightened forward thinking moves (granted it didn't have much choice) by any program ahead of the bifurcation, which is why UCONN basketball is HERE, and syracuse, pitt and bcu are nowhere.

Reaction Score
The move by UCONN to the N Big East may be one of the most enlightened forward thinking moves (granted it didn't have much choice) by any program ahead of the bifurcation, which is why UCONN basketball is HERE, and syracuse, pitt and bcu are nowhere.

I agree that the move to the BE was the right move for hoops and if this thing does bifurcate running football on an independent basis in the interim will also prove to have been the right move. If this all shakes out, I think UCONN, Cuse, BC and Pitt all end up more or less in the same boat. I like our odds in that scenario.

Reaction Score
I really need to ask how you figure we are better off in the NEWBIE. If indeed there is a split, we are essentially relegated to D2. We will have maybe 10% of the revenue which means we struggle to keep coaches we want to keep, fall behind in terms of facilities, with no chance of catching up. Even vs the ACC where estimates are they get roughly $10 million for basketball we are falling way behind. We get +-$5.5. Maybe if all else works we get to $7.5. Ultimately UConn will be caught in no man’s land. Unable to compete with even the worst of the P5 but above the mid-majors.

I get that a section of the fan base isn’t really UConn fans but rather NEWBIE fans. Us being stuck there isn’t a good thing for UConn.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I get that a section of the fan base isn’t really UConn fans but rather NEWBIE fans. Us being stuck there isn’t a good thing for UConn.
You never state how we would be better off if we were still in the AAC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I really need to ask how you figure we are better off in the NEWBIE. If indeed there is a split, we are essentially relegated to D2. We will have maybe 10% of the revenue which means we struggle to keep coaches we want to keep, fall behind in terms of facilities, with no chance of catching up. Even vs the ACC where estimates are they get roughly $10 million for basketball we are falling way behind. We get +-$5.5. Maybe if all else works we get to $7.5. Ultimately UConn will be caught in no man’s land. Unable to compete with even the worst of the P5 but above the mid-majors.

Fetch Mean Girls GIF

Reaction Score

My speculation is that 40 or so programs split off and are essentially professional franchises. Recruits and players are essentially payed as professional athletes for their services. The guise of NIL is no longer necessary as they have broken off from the NCAA. This is a big dollar game....think NFL type money with the franchises owned by the Universities.

Only a select group will play in that realm and I highly doubt UCONN is in that group. I can actually see an argument where UCONN and many schools would rather not play at that level. The next level I think will look something like traditional college athletics with regional affiliations. Personally, I would prefer that.

Reaction Score

kermit throw up GIF

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
My speculation is that 40 or so programs split off and are essentially professional franchises. Recruits and players are essentially payed as professional athletes for their services. The guise of NIL is no longer necessary as they have broken off from the NCAA. This is a big dollar game....think NFL type money with the franchises owned by the Universities.

Only a select group will play in that realm and I highly doubt UCONN is in that group. I can actually see an argument where UCONN and many schools would rather not play at that level. The next level I think will look something like traditional college athletics with regional affiliations. Personally, I would prefer that.

And the NFL and NBA will just let a bunch of colleges create a product that is competitive with theirs. Right.

If a minor league ever becomes a viable product, the NBA and NFL will just step in and do it themselves. The NBA is already moving in that direction.

Reaction Score
You never state how we would be better off if we were still in the AAC.
I didn’t say we would be better off in the AAC. This is about the future. But we won’t be better off in the NEWBIE either for the reasons I listed and others. We need to do everything in the university’s power to get into a major all sports conference.

Reaction Score

First, UCONN Basketball is doing much better in the N BE than in the AAC. Strangely enough, it is also doing much better than our former BE mates who are floundering in the ACC.

Second, I think UCONN will be fine because if things continue to change at this pace, the landscape will look drastically different in 5-10 years. Ideally they separate football from olympic sports and go back to regional conferences which only makes far too much sense.

Reaction Score
And the NFL and NBA will just let a bunch of colleges create a product that is competitive with theirs. Right.

If a minor league ever becomes a viable product, the NBA and NFL will just step in and do it themselves. The NBA is already moving in that direction.

What are the NFL and NBA going to do about it? They’re already living with big time college football and basketball and they might actually view it as complimentar.

Make no doubt about it, college athletics is moving squarely to a professional model and the money involved is huge and growing.

Reaction Score
I didn’t say we would be better off in the AAC. This is about the future. But we won’t be better off in the NEWBIE either for the reasons I listed and others. We need to do everything in the university’s power to get into a major all sports conference.
You are correct, but it appears that no P5 invite is on the horizon for UConn, so it will have to be the NEWBIE for a long time to come. There is no choice for UConn at this time.

Reaction Score
First, UCONN Basketball is doing much better in the N BE than in the AAC. Strangely enough, it is also doing much better than our former BE mates who are floundering in the ACC.

Second, I think UCONN will be fine because if things continue to change at this pace, the landscape will look drastically different in 5-10 years. Ideally they separate football from olympic sports and go back to regional conferences which only makes far too much sense.
Coming off of the rejection by the ACC, UConn nation never was able to warm to the AAC. It was a slow downward spiral in all sports in that conference. I believe UConn nation would still welcome an ACC invite and I also believe that unlike our former backstabbing BE mates, UConn would be competitive in most sports in the ACC immediately. I do understand based on a recent article I believe by Dom Amore that a P5 invite is not on the horizon for UConn, so we all need to make the best of what it is now and not expect much change for a long time.

Reaction Score
Coming off of the rejection by the ACC, UConn nation never was able to warm to the AAC. It was a slow downward spiral in all sports in that conference. I believe UConn nation would still welcome an ACC invite and I also believe that unlike our former backstabbing BE mates, UConn would be competitive in most sports in the ACC immediately. I do understand based on a recent article I believe by Dom Amore that a P5 invite is not on the horizon for UConn, so we all need to make the best of what it is now and not expect much change for a long time.
P5? What is this P5 you speak of. UCONN has no shot at the P2. The other conferences, who knows what will happen.

Reaction Score
P5? What is this P5 you speak of. UCONN has no shot at the P2. The other conferences, who knows what will happen.
The P2 will be when USC and UCLA join the B1G and Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC. Until then, there is still the P5. I do agree that down the pike there may be a realignment of conferences in regional networks, but it is likely not soon as the ACC should remain intact until 2036 if the GOR holds.

Reaction Score
The SEC and B1G have robust conference networks that air Olympic sports. P2 schools will not be part of any realignment into regional networks in the future for those sports.

Reaction Score

George Kliavkoff making more outrageous claims........

He calls Big Ten revenue for UCLA a "small delta" before factoring in added expenses.

He claims the next PAC 12 media rights deal will "close the gap" with the B1G and SEC.

My thoughts......the PAC 12 is moving too slow when it comes to expansion. The Big 12 replaced Texas and Oklahoma within a few weeks of their announced departure. We are 4 months into the news of USC and UCLA leaving for the B1G and no expansion has been announced in the PAC 12 yet. The Big 12 is aggressive. If the corner schools don't join the Big 12, I can see the Big 12 making an offer to San Diego State to gain access to Southern California - and to keep the PAC 12 out of it. Big 12 already wants to be in all four time zones. Only one missing now is Pacific.

Reaction Score
The P2 will be when USC and UCLA join the B1G and Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC. Until then, there is still the P5. I do agree that down the pike there may be a realignment of conferences in regional networks, but it is likely not soon as the ACC should remain intact until 2036 if the GOR holds.
I disagree. The P2 exists today because every decision taking place today is based on the fact that the B1G and SEC are the two big boys tables. All the other conferences including PAC and XII are trying to keep their heads above water. The ACC may hold out but there will be plenty of movement elsewhere.

That's also why I referenced the 5-10 year landscape. Saying a P5 invite is not on the horizon doesn't concern me since that horizon is only what 1-2 years and is really moot.

Reaction Score
The SEC and B1G have robust conference networks that air Olympic sports. P2 schools will not be part of any realignment into regional networks in the future for those sports.
The irony is that the University of California has supposedly pledged to become "carbon neutral" by 2025 while planning to fly its teams cross country on a regular basis. That doesn't sound "sustainable."

Reaction Score
I disagree. The P2 exists today because every decision taking place today is based on the fact that the B1G and SEC are the two big boys tables. All the other conferences including PAC and XII are trying to keep their heads above water. The ACC may hold out but there will be plenty of movement elsewhere.

That's also why I referenced the 5-10 year landscape. Saying a P5 invite is not on the horizon doesn't concern me since that horizon is only what 1-2 years and is really moot.
I think the only possible landing place eventually for UConn will be the ACC and that is a long way away. The Big 12 has already rejected UConn, and the PAC 12 is too far away. There may be movement elsewhere, but it won't unfortunately involve UConn, unless somehow the ACC manages to break up before the GOR.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom