USC and UCLA to the BIG Ten | Page 7 | The Boneyard

USC and UCLA to the BIG Ten

Reaction Score
Your original list is 8 teams which I think would be enough. They could go to ten if Villanova upgrades football or they get UCF, South Florida or Miami.
UCF is in the Big XII. Miami will be in the SEC or B1G. USF is an option. Memphis is an option.

In reality there will be 3-8 ACC teams left without a home. It's just unknown how long that's going to take. I just listed the schools that should be most scared, probably add Louisville to that list too but the Big XII would probably take them

Reaction Score
I'm curious about Duke and Wake, forgetting about GOR for a minute. Duke is certainly worthy with a huge endowment, academics, AAU so I guess it depends on just how large the two titan conferences want to get. Is it more or less likely UNC would choose to accept an invite without Duke? USC and UCLA are the first combo to be invited from the same market in all of this CR comedy. There is a pecking order in the ACC which can more or less be divided into two tiers for CR purposes:

Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Miami
UNC
UVA
Duke

VPI
NC State
Syracuse
Pitt
Louisville
Wake Forest
BCU
Duke should be in Tier 2 in your analysis, and probably Miami too.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
You missed my point. This forum was furious with HCPP in 2013. He was (somewhat unfairly) besmirched here for years.

As you stated, the 2013 team was decent… but old Paul got fired after an embarrassing 0-4 start. Things were not good! We were excited for Diaco for crying out loud.

You couldn’t remember PP’s name. Don’t tell me he went 3-9 in 2013. Chill out dude.
Pasqualoni had, what 3 1/3 losing seasons here. Somehow not being quite as bad as the lunatic Diaco, who may I note actually got to a bowl game, has been translated into Pasqualoni being a good college head coach. He wasn’t.

CL82

Reaction Score
Aresco's biggest blunder was selling the name.
Agree. It seems like Aresco early on decided that he needed to build Conference USA, rather than maintain the Big East brand. I know he was supposed to be some kind of media super genius but he made some terrifically bad judgments essentially giving up the brand awareness of a diminished but establish brand in the hopes that he could create something better from scratch. Pretty much anyone who took a marketing class at the University of Connecticut would see the readily apparent folly in that.

Reaction Score
UCF is in the Big XII. Miami will be in the SEC or B1G. USF is an option. Memphis is an option.

In reality there will be 3-8 ACC teams left without a home. It's just unknown how long that's going to take. I just listed the schools that should be most scared, probably add Louisville to that list too but the Big XII would probably take them
I don’t see how the Big XII can survive either, they’re in the same boat as the ACC.

Reaction Score
So, do you guys think that the AAC would have been a success if they only had the Big East name?

I think that Aresco knew that he’d have little chance in getting the name in court mandated negotiations when 4 of the founding member schools who originated the name were in the C7 and UConn was the only charter member in the football group. Aresco decided not to spend time and money on what was likely a losing fight and take money in exchange. Seemed like a reasonable risk/reward assessment.

Reaction Score
Pasqualoni had, what 3 1/3 losing seasons here. Somehow not being quite as bad as the lunatic Diaco, who may I note actually got to a bowl game, has been translated into Pasqualoni being a good college head coach. He wasn’t.
Yeah he sucks, he’s only the Defensive Line coach for the Carolina Panthers.

Reaction Score
I don’t see how the Big XII can survive either, they’re in the same boat as the ACC.
The Big XII survives where the ACC doesn't simply because the schools in the Big XII aren't as desirable. The ACC in this scenario is a victim of its own success. It has major properties that others want. The same can't be said for the Big XII. Conferences could have poached more than UT and OU. But they didn't.

Reaction Score

Which is why I am intrigued about Duke. Some very good programs could be left in the lurch so if Duke and Wake are left out, playing Big East basketball schools would have some appeal. UCONN and Nova sound a little better than adding USF and Memphis.

Reaction Score
Which is why I am intrigued about Duke. Some very good programs could be left in the lurch so if Duke and Wake are left out, playing Big East basketball schools would have some appeal. UCONN and Nova sound a little better than adding USF and Memphis.
Yeah it's all going to come down to how big these conferences want to get, and then who is going to be left out when the dust settles. If it's just, for example, Duke, Wake and BC left out, it makes more sense for them go independent for football than try and scrap together a conference. If you're getting closer to 8 schools that were left out, then rebuilding makes more sense.

Reaction Score
HCPP: has forgotten more football than the sum total of knowledge on this board. What he did not seem to be, was a good motivator of college age SA's and he got totally frustrated with the amount of poor execution in the college game. I got this first hand from observing him on the sideline for all his home games. It was obvious what was going on. He was just no longer a good fit for the college game. Tough to go back once you have been in the pros.

Reaction Score

More likely is that Duke, Syracuse, and Louisville - all premier basketball schools - will be left out. Their best strategy will be to link with other premier basketball schools like UConn, Kansas, Baylor, and West Virginia to form a totally new conference. They don’t need t be saddled with non-revenue producers like Wake from the old ACC.

Reaction Score
The majority of the teams in the ACC will be left out of big time college athletics if they don't become the 3rd super conference. These teams will push to add more teams or extend their gor beyond 2037. But we know there is no chance that schools like Virginia and North Carolina will extend the gor because the BIG 10 and SEC will be fighting over these schools in the near future. Neither of us know exactly how colleges are valued, but there are definitely midwest and west coast schools that add value to the ACC. The ACC has a lot of overlapping markets (4 in north carolina, 2 in virigina), so there are 4 ACC teams adding almost no incremental value to TV revenue. Prior to very recently the ACC considered things like academics and geography and that is why they wouldn't add certain teams (not money). Right now they are fighting for survival as a conference and the majority of teams are fighting to stay at the top of the sport. Remember that the top football teams in the ACC are redundant to the SEC and you have pointed out that the ACC and other conferences will not add schools that don't increase the payout. So according to your own statement schools like Florida State, Miami, Clemson, and Lousiville do not bring more cable boxes and therefore do not add much marginal value to the SEC. If they are added, then the payout to each SEC school FOR SURE goes down by a lot. Plus their in state rivals from the SEC will fight to keep them out. So these schools need to pray that they are added to the BIG 10 or else they could be on the outside looking in if other ACC schools that expand the BIG 10 and SEC footprint leave to get more money from those conferences and then those conferences break from the NCAA to form a new super league and football playoff system.
Lol. I don’t think they considered academics when they added Louisville over UConn.

CL82

Reaction Score
Gee, you might be on to something. You better let Jim Mora and Dave Benedict know about your theory.
What does that even mean? I’m pretty sure both of them are aware of Pasqualoni’s absolutely miserable record as a head coach in Connecticut. Mostly because everyone is, well, except for you apparently.

Reaction Score
Why is anyone here talking about PP. He was horrible and started us off on our downward spiral. Anything else is revisionist history. There isn't anything worth debating.
I gotta disagree, when he coached Cuse he had them in the top 25 almost every year. Some of his bowl wins were legend. I think UConn should have given him another couple of years. A Connecticut guy also, is a legend in Cheshire football.

Reaction Score
I gotta disagree, when he coached Cuse he had them in the top 25 almost every year. Some of his bowl wins were legend. I think UConn should have given him another couple of years. A Connecticut guy also, is a legend in Cheshire football.
With benefit of hindsight, I would have kept him over Diaco. Diaco recruited a roster of 6'5 250lbs guys who were slow and too small to play OL. Recipe for disaster.

Reaction Score
I like your enthusiasm generally, but you lost me here. Also, can ypu guys take this pissing match to a separate thread?

Reaction Score
Searching for UCONN and found a mention. Indie.

"Tyler: The ACC is what fascinates me here. They’re behind the eight ball already and are in real danger of falling behind further if they don’t make some big moves. I think you’ll see some sort of Big 12 and Pac-12 spare parts merger. It just makes sense. But the ACC? I’m not so sure where they go."

"J.J.: The pessimist in me says the Big 12 and Pac-12 will be raided for their premier programs and will then realign into some fusion of conferences that are distinctly above mid-majors but distinctly below the new Power Two. I think the ACC could hold out if they manage to bring in Notre Dame, but I really don’t see that happening. I think Notre Dame would rather be independent or be a Big Ten team. If the Fighting Irish don’t join the ACC, I would imagine it would get gutted as well- I’m sure the SEC would love to have Clemson, for instance- and the rest would join the new tier of Powerless Three schools. I suspect a lot of schools will go independent a la UConn.

To summarize, assuming the ACC doesn’t get Notre Dame, we’ll end with:

The Power Two: B1G and SEC, each with roughly 20-24 teams

The Powerless Three: whatever the rest of the ACC/Big 12/Pac-12 realigns to

And a whole bunch of new independents

Yay?"

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yeah it's all going to come down to how big these conferences want to get, and then who is going to be left out when the dust settles. If it's just, for example, Duke, Wake and BC left out, it makes more sense for them go independent for football than try and scrap together a conference. If you're getting closer to 8 schools that were left out, then rebuilding makes more sense.

I think Duke is safe. For better or worse they've been a national brand thanks to men's hoops for the past 40 years. BCU and Wake could seriously be in jeopardy, especially Wake.
BCU's saving grace may be other conferences having access to the Boston market for their fans to travel to for games. It's a destination for their fans rather than being a place where Boston fans embrace BCU and their conference mates.
Wake is largely irrelevant in all sports, has a small alumni base and isn't in a geographically advantageous area.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom