Uconn's starting QB | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Uconn's starting QB

Who will be UCONN'S starting QB by mid-season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Some insight from Jim Fuller on QB competition:

I like the idea of short passes over the first line of defenders to Newsome rather than having him run across the line of scrimmage for two yards.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Mike Anthony‏ @ManthonyCourant 3h3 hours ago
Edsall on David Pindell: "Quality about him where he's cool under pressure. Don't think I've ever seen anyone get ball out of hand quicker."

This has me leaning towards Pindell as being our guy this season.

Several others have suspected as much.

It's a clear signal to Shirreffs of what characteristics Edsall wants in his QB.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I like the idea of short passes over the first line of defenders to Newsome rather than having him run across the line of scrimmage for two yards.
Agree Rob, that's the best use of Newsome.

He said Newsome won't be a guy getting 25-30 carries a game. I'd look for him to be in the 15-18 range but to get plenty of balls thrown his way to try to get Newsome out in space...
The Huskies will be passing early and often during the upcoming season... 200 carries, 50-60 receptions and some work on kickoff returns would still allow Newsome to be a featured part of the UConn offense.

Reaction Score
Agree Rob, that's the best use of Newsome.

He said Newsome won't be a guy getting 25-30 carries a game. I'd look for him to be in the 15-18 range but to get plenty of balls thrown his way to try to get Newsome out in space...
The Huskies will be passing early and often during the upcoming season... 200 carries, 50-60 receptions and some work on kickoff returns would still allow Newsome to be a featured part of the UConn offense.
If Newsome only averages 15 carries per game, that leaves another 20+ carries for the QB and other RB's. Someone else is really going to need to step up.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If Newsome only averages 15 carries per game, that leaves another 20+ carries for the QB and other RB's. Someone else is really going to need to step up.

Not to throw it back to prior poorly executed QB rotations, but maybe if Pindell starts and takes all passing snaps, RL is counting on Shirreffs to come in with some designed runs?

Reaction Score
Piendell is a better runner...
I think Pindell is starting and I also think he's going to end up being one of the best QB's we've had. The first thing I noticed about him was his breakaway speed and his quick release. Nice to see Randy said the same thing. Some of the pass/run option throws on his tape are crazy fast.

Reaction Score
We can evaluate during the first 3 preseason games...oh, that's right that's not college ball ...just Diaco ball.

Having a decent backup QB in BS is actually a nice plus side.

Reaction Score
We can evaluate during the first 3 preseason games...oh, that's right that's not college ball ...just Diaco ball.

Having a decent backup QB in BS is actually a nice plus side.
having BS back is big because it lets us shirt DW, McAfee and Washington.

Reaction Score
How about this kid? Redshirted last year, one the few right things Disco did. UConn got a DITR when they signed him. Pindell and Marvin Washington are not the only offensive weapons HCRE has coming in.

Lifelong UConn Fan, Glastonbury's Keyion Dixon Signs With Huskies

Reaction Score
How about this kid? Redshirted last year, one the few right things Disco did. UConn got a DITR when they signed him. Pindell and Marvin Washington are not the only offensive weapons HCRE has coming in.

Lifelong UConn Fan, Glastonbury's Keyion Dixon Signs With Huskies
maybe on some jet sweeps but I want him to learn the WR position. luckily our WR coach last year was one of the best in the nation which is why I think they've gained so much praise from Edsall. I'm hoping we can get ~10-12 carries from either Hopkins or Vickers.

Reaction Score
From this article from Jim Fuller:

>>Pindell’s quest to emerge from a crowded field of quarterbacks is one of the top story lines of preseason camp, which begins on Saturday. Bryant Shirreffs is back after starting the first nine games last season. Donovan Williams, who started the final three games, is also in the mix along with Brandon Bisack and freshmen Jordan McAfee and Marvin Washington.

Edsall said the first week of camp that they will all get their chances, but the hope is that one or two emerge so they can begin to give those players the work necessary to prepare for the Aug. 31 season opener against Holy Cross.

“We all can play,” Pindell said. “I think it will be good competition. “I played in up-tempo offense my freshman and sophomore years at junior college and in high school so I am pretty familiar with that system. It won’t be a big jump and a big learning stage for me, I feel like offense is what we ran at my last school, it is just different terminology.”

Shirreffs certainly is the most experienced among the quarterbacks, but with a new coaching staff after Bob Diaco’s firing and a fast-paced, no-huddle offense being installed, he will have some learning to do along with his younger teammates. “It is drastically different from what we’ve done in the past,” Shirreffs said. “It is so fun. Football is always fun, but it is a different way to look at the game. You are learning every single day and experiencing it with a bunch of other guys who are going through the same process. I love what we are doing and I am sure everybody else would tell you the same thing.”<<

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Let me shed a little insight- Throw out what you saw of Shirreffs and the offense the last 3 years. Diaco had him bulk up like a Fullback- Edsall likes a more nimble quarterback. He will look more like Tyler Lorenzen than Jared Lorenzen by the time the season starts.

Also, this is a totally different offense. The reads are different, the ball moves around faster and there is a quicker tempo. Shirreffs has a spring start on Pindell and that is big in this offense. It will come down to accuracy, ball security, and who masters the offense quicker. Just don't think the old Shirreffs is the new Shirreffs. And one other thing- he is NOT Chandler Whitmer. He is better.

Can he look like Tyler Lorenzen and play like Jared Lorenzen because the Pillsbury Throw Boy was an awesome college quarterback.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We have to all accept that Boyle in practice had to be much better than Boyle in games. Unless we think not just P and D were idiots, but also Weist. Lagow left because Boyle was beating him out in practice. He didn't wait long enough to see Boyle on the field would never perform like that.

This one is easy.

There isn't anyway in the world that Boyle outplayed Lagow in practice.

None - it's really that simple.

I'll give Weist a pass and believe he had no influence and that was part of the reason UConn (of all schools) made a coaching change after 4 games.

It's too bad Lagow didn't show a little
more patience for our sake but it's hard to argue being a part of the Diaco mess > 2 years at Indiana.

Hell he might have won them enough games that Diaco might still be here. If Lagow doesn't leave we may not experience Williams being thrown to the dogs. Without that circus HCVV might still be in the saddle.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If we want to pretend Edsall hasn't played juggle the quarterback that's all well and good.

One I'd suggest looking at his Maryland years.

Two If you need UConn specific evidence...

2005 - There might not be a more hilarious UConn pregame than at Pitt when Edsall was hiding that Bones was starting coming back from injury. He bounced between DJ, Bones and Dennis Brown that season

2010 - This one should be a bit easier to remember. UConn went to Louisville at 3-3 and Edsall started Mike Box.

Fraser and Endres drama. Bones and DJ. Henry over Orlovsky.

Other than 03-05 Orlovsky and 07-08 Lorenzen it's been the exact opposite of land on a guy and stick with it...

Reaction Score
Pindell's quick release is a plus for sure, as his his accuracy, overall speed and athletic prowess but what will separate him from the others is what I was told was his most impressive attribute. He can read and react to coverages as well as "any QB I've seen in 20 years". He reads at the line, identifies formations and if he has to, audibles to an escape plan all in a few seconds.
Should be fun to watch. He could be player of the year in the AAC.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Pindell's quick release is a plus for sure, as his his accuracy, overall speed and athletic prowess but what will separate him from the others is what I was told was his most impressive attribute. He can read and react to coverages as well as "any QB I've seen in 20 years". He reads at the line, identifies formations and if he has to, audibles to an escape plan all in a few seconds.

Well, at least the hyperbole towards Pindell hasn't been too extreme.

Reaction Score

Sounds like an athletic Casey Cochran, if true its going to be a great season.

Reaction Score
Well, at least the hyperbole towards Pindell hasn't been too extreme.

BuXltC9IEAAzDAX.jpg-large.0.jpeg

Reaction Score
Can he look like Tyler Lorenzen and play like Jared Lorenzen because the Pillsbury Throw Boy was an awesome college quarterback.
I don't know that I ever heard that nickname but I like it. The Hefty Lefty was a great one as well.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If we want to pretend Edsall hasn't played juggle the quarterback that's all well and good.

One I'd suggest looking at his Maryland years.

Two If you need UConn specific evidence...

2005 - There might not be a more hilarious UConn pregame than at Pitt when Edsall was hiding that Bones was starting coming back from injury. He bounced between DJ, Bones and Dennis Brown that season

2010 - This one should be a bit easier to remember. UConn went to Louisville at 3-3 and Edsall started Mike Box.

Fraser and Endres drama. Bones and DJ. Henry over Orlovsky.

Other than 03-05 Orlovsky and 07-08 Lorenzen it's been the exact opposite of land on a guy and stick with it...
Jacobs used to publish a history of all the changes to starting QB post-Orlovsky but he hasn't done it in a few years (I think). Possibly time for another update.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom