Uconn's starting QB | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Uconn's starting QB

Who will be UCONN'S starting QB by mid-season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
I think Lagow left after seeing the clown-show that the coaching staff was. He was right.
That's true also but the original posters point was saving a good promising QB by redshirting him can cause him to look elsewhere and leave before ever playing one game for said school, and that's what exactly happened to Lagow, right before the season started.

Reaction Score
I think Lagow left after seeing the clown-show that the coaching staff was. He was right.
No, Lagow committed to Pasqualoni. He was terrible, but not a total clown show like Diaco.

Lagow committed relatively early and was a huge cheerleader/recruiter for us. He wavered after we got a commitment from Boyle, but decided to sign anyway. Then he transferred out a week before the season started because he didn't want to compete.

I still think he would have been a 4 year starter for us if he hadn't quit on competition. It's his life, his choice, glad he did well at Indiana.

Reaction Score
That's true also but the original posters point was saving a good promising QB by redshirting him can cause him to look elsewhere and leave before ever playing one game for said school, and that's what exactly happened to Lagow, right before the season started.

Still kinda a bad example -- They weren't "saving him" - he was behind Whitmer (Jr) and Cochran (RS Fr) coming out of camp. Heck, he wasn't even on campus for 30 days (+/-). He should have stayed, he ended up sitting a year anyways.

Reaction Score

Unless they started handing out redshirts to HS Seniors that's not what happened to Lagow. He left the week before our first game when he was still a true freshman because he didn't want to compete with Kivon Taylor, Boyle (and Cochran).

We didn't redshirt him to save him, only to see him leave. He left before the season even started because he wasn't guaranteed/convinced he'd be the guy in near future.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Let me shed a little insight- Throw out what you saw of Shirreffs and the offense the last 3 years. Diaco had him bulk up like a Fullback- Edsall likes a more nimble quarterback. He will look more like Tyler Lorenzen than Jared Lorenzen by the time the season starts.

Also, this is a totally different offense. The reads are different, the ball moves around faster and there is a quicker tempo. Shirreffs has a spring start on Pindell and that is big in this offense. It will come down to accuracy, ball security, and who masters the offense quicker. Just don't think the old Shirreffs is the new Shirreffs. And one other thing- he is NOT Chandler Whitmer. He is better.

Reaction Score
Unless they started handing out redshirts to HS Seniors that's not what happened to Lagow. He left the week before our first game when he was still a true freshman because he didn't want to compete with Kivon Taylor, Boyle (and Cochran).

We didn't redshirt him to save him, only to see him leave. He left before the season even started because he wasn't guaranteed/convinced he'd be the guy in near future.
You're right my bad, he wasn't redshirted but the effect of standing on the sidelines during a scrimmage is the same and he didn't want any part of it.

Reaction Score
No, Lagow committed to Pasqualoni. He was terrible, but not a total clown show like Diaco.

Lagow committed relatively early and was a huge cheerleader/recruiter for us. He wavered after we got a commitment from Boyle, but decided to sign anyway. Then he transferred out a week before the season started because he didn't want to compete.

I still think he would have been a 4 year starter for us if he hadn't quit on competition. It's his life, his choice, glad he did well at Indiana.

Given that Boyle was his competition, I wish Lagow had stayed and competed. He would have buried Boyle. Based on what else we had, he had nothing to worry about.

Reaction Score
Shirreffs showed me nothing last year. I hope Pindell works out.

Reaction Score
Shirreffs showed me nothing last year. I hope Pindell works out.
Agree I love his toughness but as bad as the OL was, as soon as he felt slightest pressure he was off...

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Let me shed a little insight- Throw out what you saw of Shirreffs and the offense the last 3 years. Diaco had him bulk up like a Fullback- Edsall likes a more nimble quarterback. He will look more like Tyler Lorenzen than Jared Lorenzen by the time the season starts.

Also, this is a totally different offense. The reads are different, the ball moves around faster and there is a quicker tempo. Shirreffs has a spring start on Pindell and that is big in this offense. It will come down to accuracy, ball security, and who masters the offense quicker. Just don't think the old Shirreffs is the new Shirreffs. And one other thing- he is NOT Chandler Whitmer. He is better.
Lashlee's offense isn't complicated. I don't think it will be too tough for Pindell to pick up quickly. Obviously it would be better to have had more time in the spring, but I don't think learning the offense will be a huge hurdle.

Reaction Score
I voted Pindell, but I think the OL is gonna have more influence than anything. It will still be bad even with adults in charge. If Pindell can adapt to that then he will start.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
I think it'll be Pindell, I just don't see how starting Sherieffs can be good for this team or the fan base after the last couple years even if it wasn't his fault. Need a fresh start and a new face at QB.

Reaction Score
Given that Boyle was his competition, I wish Lagow had stayed and competed. He would have buried Boyle. Based on what else we had, he had nothing to worry about.

We have to all accept that Boyle in practice had to be much better than Boyle in games. Unless we think not just P and D were idiots, but also Weist. Lagow left because Boyle was beating him out in practice. He didn't wait long enough to see Boyle on the field would never perform like that.

Reaction Score
We have to all accept that Boyle in practice had to be much better than Boyle in games. Unless we think not just P and D were idiots, but also Weist. Lagow left because Boyle was beating him out in practice. He didn't wait long enough to see Boyle on the field would never perform like that.
I don't buy that for one second, Pasqualoni chose the wrong QB twice. Was Johnny McEntee beating out Mike Nebrich too in practice? Pasqualoni was a CT guy, knew Boyle's coaches, and was well aware of Boyle from his years playing at Xavier High, Boyle came to Uconn with a lot of fanfare. His high school team was one of the best in the state in quite a few years at that time. Paul Pasqualoni was a coach who needed talent to be already there, and with Boyle he thought it was. He could mold a team but only with good sound players, which is why his success in the NFL and at Syracuse, he was terrible at measuring a kids potential, recognizing talent and fostering that talent, especially with quarterbacks. Uconn was not a good fit for him or the school.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't buy that for one second, Pasqualoni chose the wrong QB twice. Was Johnny McEntee beating out Mike Nebrich too in practice? Pasqualoni was a CT guy, knew Boyle's coaches, and was well aware of Boyle from his years playing at Xavier High, Boyle came to UConn with a lot of fanfare. His high school team was one of the best in the state in quite a few years at that time. Paul Pasqualoni was a coach who needed talent to be already there, and with Boyle he thought it was. He could mold a team but only with good sound players, which is why his success in the NFL and at Syracuse, he was terrible at measuring a kids potential, recognizing talent and fostering that talent, especially with quarterbacks. UConn was not a good fit for him or the school.

Which explains why TJ started Boyle for 4 straight games how?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I don't buy that for one second, Pasqualoni chose the wrong QB twice. Was Johnny McEntee beating out Mike Nebrich too in practice? Pasqualoni was a CT guy, knew Boyle's coaches, and was well aware of Boyle from his years playing at Xavier High, Boyle came to UConn with a lot of fanfare. His high school team was one of the best in the state in quite a few years at that time. Paul Pasqualoni was a coach who needed talent to be already there, and with Boyle he thought it was. He could mold a team but only with good sound players, which is why his success in the NFL and at Syracuse, he was terrible at measuring a kids potential, recognizing talent and fostering that talent, especially with quarterbacks. UConn was not a good fit for him or the school.[/QUO

PASQUALONI found Andrew Adams. I also believe he recruited Obi. He could find talent. It was his utilization of the talent which was the problem. Idiot boy couldn't identify talent or develop it or coach it.

Reaction Score
Which explains why TJ started Boyle for 4 straight games how?
I don't think he had any choice by that time. Lagow was long gone, and Boyle certainly had experience by that time and maybe he bought into Pasqualoni's old man wisdom. Weist later went with Cochran, didn't he? Which proved to be somewhat of a success IIRC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bryant Shirreffs IS Chandler Whitmer.

Not even close. Whitmer was a bit more accurate. But he was a weak runner who never stepped up on the pocket to make a throw in his life. Every time there was pressure from he edge he tried to escape backwards and to the outside, and every time he did it he took a sack. Over and over and over and over again, he just ran right into the pressure instead of stepping up and buying himself a second or two to make a throw.

Reaction Score
Let me add here, even if Weist saw some things in Lagow that PP didn't and missed, PP was so rigid and inflexible in his decisions, that whatever Weist saw in Lagow, the decision was for Boyle and that was it. That whole series of events is almost a carbon copy with respect to Joe Morehead liking Mike Nebrich over Johnny McEntee. If PP had been a more flexible head coach, and was willing to trust the instincts of his OC, to try something different. Both Lagow's and Nebrich's tenures at Uconn might have been quite different, as well Morehead's tenure. Nebrich was Moreheads star recruit, and if he becomes the starting QB over McEntee, maybe Morehead doesn't take the Fordham job.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think a number of you will be disappointed as I think Bryant Shirreffs will be the starter on day one and as long as he is healthy he will be the starter for the entire year.
I'd be pretty happy if that were the case. Bryant is a quality guy willing to put his body at risk for the team. He's genuinely pretty likable. I'd love for him to be able to produce in an intelligent scheme with adequate protection.

That said, I think it will be Pindell but that may just me falling for the tendency to assume the new guy will play up to his highlights.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This...

No way BS starts.. I'd be shocked... Brand new system implemented.. Yes, he's great using his legs but arm strength is where he lags behind a little, along with accuracy on crossing patterns... If Pindell shows better in those aspects, he's the starter....

I agree - if Pindell shows any mobility close to BS, because he can throw the long ball and most any other ball with a sense of accuracy, he will start over BS.
I can't see the staff getting this guy who probably won't redshirt (like incoming Frosh) or letting him hold a clipboard or make wild antic signals from the sideline.
New (at least for argument sake) coach, new staff = new schemes and new players

Reaction Score
Fwiw Boyle got the start in Weist's first game as head coach and started 3 others before Cochran took over for good. It is likely he was as much to blame as Pasaualoni, for poorly evaluating the quarterbacks. P might have been pushing for the change but Weist was in position to countermand that decision before it ever happened.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom