Uconn's starting QB | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Uconn's starting QB

Who will be UCONN'S starting QB by mid-season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
I don't expect it to happen this year at all (and will be somewhat disappointed if it does - unless he's the second coming of Tommie Frazier). I'm really high on Marvin Washington for the future. Started for two years on the #15 overall ranked team in all of Florida, can make all of the throws, and has speed to boot. A redshirt year to clean up his drop back technique (or lack there of) and get used to the speed and playbook and I think he's in the running to start for 2018-2019.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Gut reaction is the job is between Shirreffs and Pindell. Since Shirriffs is already here and we don't know if Pindell has arrived yet, the advantage, a small one, goes to Shirreffs at this time.

Reaction Score
I assume Pindell has the play book, tons of video and instructions from the staff. He's not walking in cold in August, is he?

Reaction Score
I don't expect it to happen this year at all (and will be somewhat disappointed if it does - unless he's the second coming of Tommie Frazier). I'm really high on Marvin Washington for the future. Started for two years on the #15 overall ranked team in all of Florida, can make all of the throws, and has speed to boot. A redshirt year to clean up his drop back technique (or lack there of) and get used to the speed and playbook and I think he's in the running to start for 2018-2019.
OK, I have forgotten or I am slightly confused. As a JUCO does Pindell have two or three years of runway ahead of him? Thought it was only two. No?

Reaction Score
My guess is that both Shirreffs and Pindell will play vs Holy Cross and the better performer in that game will start vs USF. We are fortunate to have so much talent at the position.

Esdall has quickly restocked the talent at the offensive skill positions. Can't wait for the USF game. Charlie Strong is going down!

Reaction Score
My guess is that both Shirreffs and Pindell will play vs Holy Cross and the better performer in that game will start vs USF.
That's always possible I guess, but Holy Cross is not a scrimmage, it's a game we can't afford to lose or barely win. A good coaching staff should know after late season practices and the preseason scrimmages who their guy is, and HCRE never struck me as a coach who liked to experiment and change horses in mid stream unless we had a substantial lead or some nagging injury was the cause. I think we'll only see a second QB if we have a good lead.

Speaking of the preseason, does anyone know if there will be an early open practice this year?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
That's always possible I guess, but Holy Cross is not a scrimmage, it's a game we can't afford to lose or barely win. A good coaching staff should know after late season practices and the preseason scrimmages who their guy is, and HCRE never struck me as a coach who liked to experiment and change horses in mid stream unless we had a substantial lead or some nagging injury was the cause. I think we'll only see a second QB if we have a good lead.

Speaking of the preseason, does anyone know if there will be an early open practice this year?

The old Randy absolutely hated QB controversies, and hated it when the media tried to make anything of them. It remains to be seen if the newer, perhaps mellower and more media friendly Randy won't get quite as defensive when it comes to deciding on a starting QB. If he's still anything like the old Randy, he won't want to feed the flames of any media storm regarding who his No. 1 starting QB is from and after the opening offensive series of Game 1.

I think once he makes his choice it's gonna be a done deal, unless No. 1 goes down with an injury. I seriously doubt we're going to see much in the way of a wildcat QB coming in for one or two plays at a time, or any kind of two QB platoon system utilized.

Reaction Score
I don't have an answer, but I remember the last late open practice I attended, August 18, 2013. I recall being appalled at DeLeon's on field demeanor, scowling and stomping around with his sunglasses on, just horrible coaching. Then a fight breaks out between a corner back and WR after a sketchy facemask. Really going at it punches flying. It was TJ Weist who calmed it down and took the athletes aside and got them to shake hands. Really appreciated that. Finally Sean McQuillan gets concussed on a viscous hit --taken off in an ambulance. Yeah, such a fun day.

I stood next to Lagow and his dad, all smiles. He was a big kid. Couple weeks later he was gone.

Here's a pic from the Courant. I'm the extremely handsome dude far lower right.:rolleyes:
9142829.jpeg

Reaction Score
I don't have an answer, but I remember the last late open practice I attended, August 18, 2013. I recall being appalled at DeLeon's on field demeanor, scowling and stomping around with his sunglasses on, just horrible coaching. Then a fight breaks out between a corner back and WR after a sketchy facemask. Really going at it punches flying. It was TJ Weist who calmed it down and took the athletes aside and got them to shake hands. Really appreciated that. Finally Sean McQuillan gets concussed on a viscous hit --taken off in an ambulance. Yeah, such a fun day.

I stood next to Lagow and his dad, all smiles. He was a big kid. Couple weeks later he was gone.

Here's a pic from the Courant. I'm the extremely handsome dude far lower right.:rolleyes:
View attachment 23583
I have old pictures like that, from my daughter's soccer games. Lol

Reaction Score
The old Randy absolutely hated QB controversies, and hated it when the media tried to make anything of them. It remains to be seen if the newer, perhaps mellower and more media friendly Randy won't get quite as defensive when it comes to deciding on a starting QB. If he's still anything like the old Randy, he won't want to feed the flames of any media storm regarding who his No. 1 starting QB is from and after the opening offensive series of Game 1.

I think once he makes his choice it's gonna be a done deal, unless No. 1 goes down with an injury. I seriously doubt we're going to see much in the way of a wildcat QB coming in for one or two plays at a time, or any kind of two QB platoon system utilized.
This. Whatever you say about him Randy subscribes to the old school theory that 2 quqrterbacks = no quarterbacks I suspect. He will pick his guy and will only make a change if there is an injury or consistent bad play. If he makes a change the next guy will be the guy.

Reaction Score

View attachment 23583

I remember that practice and DeLeone's behavior, and P just sort of wandered aimlessly from station to station. I also remember being very impressed with Don Brown's demeanor. The players clearly liked and responded to him.

Reaction Score

Completely agree. He looks like the best talent we've had at QB in a long time.

Reaction Score

>>Shirreffs and Williams aren’t the only ones with college experience. Junior college transfer David Pindell comes to UConn from Lackawanna CC where he threw for 2,424 yards and 31 touchdowns in 11 games last season. “That level is a step above high school so he’s gone against some really good competition,” Edsall said about Pindell. “He has a little bit more experience than the typical high school player coming in at the same time so he’s a kid that’s well prepared.”

While he hasn’t been in Storrs long, Pindell has already made a positive impression on his new head coach. “The presence he has for himself has been really impressive,” Edsall said. “Watching him and how he goes about his business, he’s a hard worker and he puts the time and effort in to be the best he can.”<<

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Shirreffs always has had trouble throwing on the run, no?

Defenses knew as soon as he tucked they could peel off the coverage and head towards Shirreffs.

If BS doesn't get better throwing on the run, it'll be Pindell. If Shirreffs does get better throwing on the run, it may still he Pindell.

Reaction Score

Defenses knew as soon as he tucked they could peel off the coverage and head towards Shirreffs.

If BS doesn't get better throwing on the run, it'll be Pindell. If Shirreffs does get better throwing on the run, it may still he Pindell.
This is one of the reasons why I say Pindell has the upper hand on the position.

Reaction Score

You may be right about BS having trouble throwing on the run, but I also wouldn't be shocked if the last regime coached the quarterbacks to never throw on the run, knowing how risk averse they were. The mindset could have been pounded into QB's heads during practice, which resulted in so many tuck and runs... With that said, the QB will NEED to be able to throw well on the run with the OLine we'll have in place. May the best man win.

Reaction Score
You may be right about BS having trouble throwing on the run, but I also wouldn't be shocked if the last regime coached the quarterbacks to never throw on the run, knowing how risk averse they were. The mindset could have been pounded into QB's heads during practice, which resulted in so many tuck and runs... With that said, the QB will NEED to be able to throw well on the run with the OLine we'll have in place. May the best man win.
If we can get good blocking from our tight ends and fullbacks, that will help shore things up. It's on fundamentals like that is where HCRE is a great teacher.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom