Uconn's starting QB | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Uconn's starting QB

Who will be UCONN'S starting QB by mid-season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think it's likely that one of the seven walks at the end of summer camp after the pecking order is established.

Hopefully it all breaks the right way for us (for once!). Pindell as the clear starter, sherriffs as the the number one back up (plays the fourth qtr in a blow out over holy cross and in some other game this year) and bisack is third on the chart for this year. Washington and McAfee are comfortable being the guys for 2019, 2020 and 2021.

This winter we lose sherriffs and I think bisack to graduation putting Washington and McAfee as the clear backs for Pindell's senior campaign in 2018.

And yes, I don't see how Williams fits into the picture at this point baring a couple injuries and/or other unforeseen events pushing other qbs out of the program this summer/fall. This is further exasperated by the fact we will bring in another qb this recruiting cycle.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I think a number of you will be disappointed as I think Bryant Shirreffs will be the starter on day one and as long as he is healthy he will be the starter for the entire year.

I agree with this primarily because there is something to be said about D1 game experience, especially against very good defenses (Mizzou, Cincy, etc.). Add to that the fact that he seemed to be ecstatic about what he was seeing and hearing in spring camp, and I'm betting it's his job to lose.

For the record, I have a feeling he's going to be much more productive in the new system...

Reaction Score
Has the staff gotten a chance to really look at Pindell yet? Is he already enrolled? I'm guessing that you won't really know until he practices with the team, which isn't until August, right? (Forgive me if these are stupid questions.)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think it's likely that one of the seven walks at the end of summer camp after the pecking order is established.

Hopefully it all breaks the right way for us (for once!). Pindell as the clear starter, sherriffs as the the number one back up (plays the fourth qtr in a blow out over holy cross and in some other game this year) and bisack is third on the chart for this year. Washington and McAfee are comfortable being the guys for 2019, 2020 and 2021.

This winter we lose sherriffs and I think bisack to graduation putting Washington and McAfee as the clear backs for Pindell's senior campaign in 2018.

And yes, I don't see how Williams fits into the picture at this point baring a couple injuries and/or other unforeseen events pushing other qbs out of the program this summer/fall. This is further exasperated by the fact we will bring in another qb this recruiting cycle.

My bad, Bisack is a RS Sophomore this year, so lots of eligibility left for him.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I think a number of you will be disappointed as I think Bryant Shirreffs will be the starter on day one and as long as he is healthy he will be the starter for the entire year.

I don't think "disappointed" will be the right word. Surprised maybe. Although RE isn't perfect in personnel decisions (Easley), I trust he will make the right call here. If it is Sherriffs...then maybe Pindell is more of a long term play and they think a RS year makes sense. Or, maybe it means that Sherriffs excelled in the new offense and deserves the opportunity.

I won't be disappointed if it is Sherriff's, but I will be a bit surprised.

Reaction Score
I think the staff would like it to be Pindell, but you can't really evaluate if he's capable until camp starts. I don't think they brought him in to sit.
This...

No way BS starts.. I'd be shocked... Brand new system implemented.. Yes, he's great using his legs but arm strength is where he lags behind a little, along with accuracy on crossing patterns... If Pindell shows better in those aspects, he's the starter....

Reaction Score
Voting for Pindell out of hope, as a fan always hopes that the new guys will be better than the old. I would still think Shirriffs is the odds on favorite due to his experience on the field against the higher level of competition. Shirriffs' also is not totally out of sync with Lashlee's style. The positive is that Uconn has 6 legitimate QBs (I am not counting Rose as a QB until told otherwise). For the first time in a while UConn will have the depth to redshirt and develop the freshmen in Washington and McAfee. In a perfect world it would be Pindell beating out Shirreffs and Williams or Bisack being the 3rd string QB to avoid burning redshirts. But if we are talking about playing a 3rd string QB then UConn is in trouble anyways. I suspect that Williams will get the short end of the stick as he was recruited by the old regime and new coaches always prefer their guys. Additionally, regardless of arm strength, Bisack's pro-style just doesn't fit the new system.

We can dream that Washington would burst onto the scene and start from day 1 as freshmen do as other schools, but that never seems to happen at UConn.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

I think it will be stretch to throw Pindell or any other QB with little or no experience into the deep end of the pool on opening day, particularly with the uncertainty of how well the OL will perform this season. At least Shirreffs has been through all of it already, and was able to function somewhat effectively at times, despite having little time to operate in the pocket (what's a pocket?).

We are going to be a run oriented offense. All we will need from the QB position is the ability to read defenses, throw accurately and minimize mistakes. You'll need an occasional deep ball to keep opposing defenses from loading the box with eight or nine guys. Shirreffs hasn't been prone to beating himself all that often. Throwing a true freshman or inexperienced QB in there under these circumstances could do that guy more harm than good in the long run. I think Williams took several backward steps last season being thrown into a hopelessly no-win situation.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think it will be stretch to throw Pindell or any other QB with little or no experience into the deep end of the pool on opening day, particularly with the uncertainty of how well the OL will perform this season. At least Shirreffs has been through all of it already, and was able to function somewhat effectively at times, despite having little time to operate in the pocket (what's a pocket?).

We are going to be a run oriented offense. All we will need from the QB position is the ability to read defenses, throw accurately and minimize mistakes. You'll need an occasional deep ball to keep opposing defenses from loading the box with eight or nine guys. Shirreffs hasn't been prone to beating himself all that often. Throwing a true freshman or inexperienced QB in there under these circumstances could do that guy more harm than good in the long run. I think Williams took several backward steps last season being thrown into a hopelessly no-win situation.

Other schools do it all the time and Pindell did start all season as a sophomore at Lackawanna, so he has alot of game experience.

Reaction Score
Pindell is very different from a true Frosh. JUCO kids come in and start all the time. They have been playing in live action against at least backup college level players not 15 year olds so they know the drill much better. When Edsall brought in JUCO quarterbacks before they were pretty good. And he is coming out of a program that regularly puts guys in the next level. I couldn't find stats for 2016 but in 2015 they had 24 guys go on to 1AA (13) and 1A (11) programs including Cincinnati Oklahoma Rutgers West Virginia and Miami.

Reaction Score
Other schools do it all the time and Pindell did start all season as a sophomore at Lackawanna, so he has alot of game experience.
I think he would do a little better than Shirrefs at making the best of his offensive line.

Reaction Score
This...

No way BS starts.. I'd be shocked... Brand new system implemented.. Yes, he's great using his legs but arm strength is where he lags behind a little, along with accuracy on crossing patterns... If Pindell shows better in those aspects, he's the starter....

Great using his legs, but I'm sure not as good as Pindell. He also doesn't have the breakaway speed and quickness Pindell posses. We shall see, but I think Sheriffs since a senior gets a shot to see what he can do and if he doesn't perform well, it then becomes Pindell's full time.

Reaction Score
Shirreffs didnt come back to ride the pine. I hope he's putting in the work everyday to be the starter.
Unless someone surprises out of the blue, I think he's a solid two. Just don't see him fitting in Lashlee's offense as well as Pindell or being able to avoid the oncoming rush as well as Pindell.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Great using his legs, but I'm sure not as good as Pindell. He also doesn't have the breakaway speed and quickness Pindell posses. We shall see, but I think Sheriffs since a senior gets a shot to see what he can do and if he doesn't perform well, it then becomes Pindell's full time.

Sherriff's being a good runner is a myth. He isn't bad, but he is just serviceable. I think we all thought he could run because he got switched to a skill position at NC St. But, I haven't seen a guy who either runs well...or makes good decisions on when to run. Of course, the OL has had a big hand in that.

And about the red shirt comment...my thinking has evolved on this topic. I always thought that unless you are the school getting the 5 star QB, you have to do what you can to red shirt a QB. Well...now that QBs transfer all the time...if you red shirt, you risk that kid never playing for your school.

Bottom line...play the best QB and don't worry about saving a red shirt. It's hard to think long term strategy when 2-3 QBs every year leave a school early. Just play who you think gives you the best chance to win and don't worry if they will be there 4 or 5 years. Because it is just as likely they will leave this year.

Reaction Score
Sherriff's being a good runner is a myth. He isn't bad, but he is just serviceable. I think we all thought he could run because he got switched to a skill position at NC St. But, I haven't seen a guy who either runs well...or makes good decisions on when to run. Of course, the OL has had a big hand in that.

And about the red shirt comment...my thinking has evolved on this topic. I always thought that unless you are the school getting the 5 star QB, you have to do what you can to red shirt a QB. Well...now that QBs transfer all the time...if you red shirt, you risk that kid never playing for your school.

Bottom line...play the best QB and don't worry about saving a red shirt. It's hard to think long term strategy when 2-3 QBs every year leave a school early. Just play who you think gives you the best chance to win and don't worry if they will be there 4 or 5 years. Because it is just as likely they will leave this year.
Lagow

Reaction Score
Even most the 5 Star QBs redshirt. Usually because they're at a school where the starter was also a 4 or 5 star, but it's unlikely we have a true freshman who comes in and is clearly better than the rest of the QBs.

I'm all for winning now, but usually (as we saw with DW last year) the true freshman isn't ready.

Lagow left before he even had the chance to play a game. Poor example. He left for the sole reason we recruited another QB, who also transferred out (because he wasn't that good).

Reaction Score
Shirreffs didnt come back to ride the pine. I hope he's putting in the work everyday to be the starter.
IMO, BS might do like some other kids did in Fall camp... compete for the first week or so, then, once the depth chart gets put in place, and they don't feel too comfy where they land on the chart, that quickly transfer to another school where they can play immediately... Or.... he'll be the consumate teammate and be a primary back up in case of injury...

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
IMO, BS might do like some other kids did in Fall camp... compete for the first week or so, then, once the depth chart gets put in place, and they don't feel too comfy where they land on the chart, that quickly transfer to another school where they can play immediately... Or.... he'll be the consumate teammate and be a primary back up in case of injury...
Bryant Shirreffs IS Chandler Whitmer.

Reaction Score
I think if we don't believe/feel that Pindell should come in as the expected starter, when we knew our depth at QB was already weak, and now with a new coaching staff in place, it's just a no brainer.. or should be...

Reaction Score
Bryant Shirreffs IS Chandler Whitmer.
with a little bit better OL... he actually made plays.. Whitmer, along with every other QB during his time, played behind horrible OLs... not that the one BS wasn't horrible.. just not as horrible....

Reaction Score
Lagow left before he even had the chance to play a game. Poor example. He left for the sole reason we recruited another QB, who also transferred out (because he wasn't that good).
I think Lagow left after seeing the clown-show that the coaching staff was. He was right.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom