UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 75 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

Reaction Score
What Texas school would that be? My guess would be Tech or TCU....I think Baylor was in favor of us already.

Reaction Score
This is absolutely true and probably the thing that is keeping UConn out of the Big 12...

...But ESPN has some essentially wholly owned conferences. If ESPN likes UConn enough - and UConn football is good enough to curtail griping from certain members of these conferences - ESPN may pull the trigger on UConn.

Taking away the bargain Fox is currently getting on UConn also doesn't hurt the equation for ESPN. Fox should of course realize this, and with game theory and such start to weigh the option of losing UConn altogether.

Fox currently owns UConn's most valuable part (basketball). The question is whether ESPN would be willing to pay for the whole package, and if Fox is willing to let that happen and potentially lose UConn altogether. Football improvement dramatically helps that whole package equation.
ND<NIU<Buffalo < UConn=UConn number ! indy program

Fox pays UConn $0
Fox pays the Big East $77,000,000
It's up to the Big East how that money is distributed to each member.
The question is what is UConn”s membership in The Big East really costing Fox ?
I’ll be generous the Big East - UConn is between $5-6million per team
Even on the high side UConn is coasting Fox $17million a year or more just for Basketball
Plan A
Put us in the Big 12 for basketball only give e us $17million and the expense
side would be a wash.

However businesses don’t make decisions based on cost alone

Their dilemma is if we go to Fox in the Big 12 true we will make them a greater return on the same investment so adding
us as a basketball only seems like a no brainer until you calculate the downside risk.
The reason they can”t pull the trigger is right now the Big East is us . Even with a pay cut that investment could tank unless another Eastern Team like Nova,GT, or St John’s could pick up the slack. A 25% ROI could turn into a loss.

Worst case for Fox is we go to an ESPN league so Fox has a dilemma.
Our women’s program is worth a lot more to ESPN because they own the tourney and nothing like some high ratings regular season games to create excitement.

Notice football hasn’t entered the picture yet

Reaction Score
So fox loses money or that you know more than fox does. Gotcha.
If you're so confident that UConn would be such a big loser for Fox, at least offer what you think the financial delta would look like. And to think we morans wasted so much time on the Big 12 rumblings.

Reaction Score
Here is Flugaur's video. He talks about UConn at the beginning. He says that it isn't going to happen this year. At 59:06 he continues. He says there is a belief at the top of the Big 12 leadership that they are leaving money on the table by not adding UConn. He says that the change in the CFB being discussed takes away the negatives of adding UConn for football. That is causing a change in the Big 12 schools perception of adding UConn. He says that at the beginning of next year there will be a new revenue stream for the Big 12 and UConn will be a plus. He says there will be national reporting before the end of the year on UConn and Big 12 talks continuing.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

More bs...

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Here is Flugaur's video. He talks about UConn at the beginning. He says that it isn't going to happen this year. At 59:06 he continues. He says there is a belief at the top of the Big 12 leadership that they are leaving money on the table by not adding UConn. He says that the change in the CFB being discussed takes away the negatives of adding UConn for football. That is causing a change in the Big 12 schools perception of adding UConn. He says that at the beginning of next year there will be a new revenue stream for the Big 12 and UConn will be a plus. He says there will be national reporting before the end of the year on UConn and Big 12 talks continuing.

Holy crap that is painful to watch. I had to turn it off after he stuttered his way through a Texas school flipping. I couldn't handle listening anymore. Good golly he needs to work on speaking fluently if he's going to do a video.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This is absolutely true and probably the thing that is keeping UConn out of the Big 12...

...But ESPN has some essentially wholly owned conferences. If ESPN likes UConn enough - and UConn football is good enough to curtail griping from certain members of these conferences - ESPN may pull the trigger on UConn.

Taking away the bargain Fox is currently getting on UConn also doesn't hurt the equation for ESPN. Fox should of course realize this, and with game theory and such start to weigh the option of losing UConn altogether.

Fox currently owns UConn's most valuable part (basketball). The question is whether ESPN would be willing to pay for the whole package, and if Fox is willing to let that happen and potentially lose UConn altogether. Football improvement dramatically helps that whole package equation.

I’m 15 years past thinking that ESPN is going to do anything to help us.

SMU is in the ACC and we’re not. That’s all we need to know.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We’ve been contacted by at least three conferences in the last 60 days. No matter how you look at it, things are looking up. Football looking good is only going to help.
Big 12, PAC 2 and who else? I didn't hear about a third conference.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Holy crap that is painful to watch. I had to turn it off after he stuttered his way through a Texas school flipping. I couldn't handle listening anymore. Good golly he needs to work on speaking fluently if he's going to do a video.

He’s going to address that in the next monologue.

That was not exactly the most polished delivery.

Also, who is “we”? How many people are involved in his covert operation?

Reaction Score
what's the third?
The ACC evaluating backfill options. I heard that the ACC was sniffing around early in the summer. They want to know who will come in at a discount. SMU joining for no money created a mess for us. I don’t believe UConn is interested in a no money deal.

Now it seems the ACC won’t need to backfill yet because FSU and Clemson appear to be staying. There may have been or could continue to be talk of adding schools to increase the contract amount and then giving some of the extra money to the big name schools.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The ACC evaluating backfill options. I heard that the ACC was sniffing around early in the summer. They want to know who will come in at a discount. SMU joining for no money created a mess for us. I don’t believe UConn is interested in a no money deal.

Now it seems the ACC won’t need to backfill yet because FSU and Clemson appear to be staying. There may have been or continues to be talk of adding schools to increase the contract amount and then giving some of the extra money to the big name schools.
Imagine a ACC/B12/Pac UConn bidding war

Reaction Score

I sort of think this is what is happening more or less, though I doubt the talks are not ongoing. If our football team continues to perform and knocks off a P4 team that will help even more.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
After listening to Flugar again, I still think he's FOS and just regurgitating what has already trickled out: no vote in the short term (not no, not yes) and maybe something decided next year. Wow, so 1 Texas school is leaning towards a yes, that's fantastic, that gets us 7 probably positives out of 12 needed, !!!:mad: For him to go on to say that there are things trending favorably towards UConn only to counter with there are other scenarios that don't include UConn...all meaningless ramblings unless there is an overwhelming majority that say add UConn now. The Big12 prezs have known (or should have known) that UConn has value, they knew last year and early this year, that has not changed, and if they didn't know, then they have no business being in charge of major universities while having such myopic views. "I can only go so far with this...other things have to happen", yeah, sure bub, keep downing those milkshakes. It's a nothing story! Other universities don't get this crap as they get offered and added within days without this long drawn out nonsense.

That said, Benedict did say over the weekend something along the lines "...we love being part of the Big East...", okay, so something may be brewing, maybe not with the Big12.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure there would be a bidding war so much as UConn just trying to get a fair deal that will fund growth. Whatever happens in the next few years isn’t the end game anyway.
This. I doubt the big brands want to share all the money with schools like Vandy, RU, Miss St etc. They will find a way to keep even more money for themselves. It is just a matter of the time for them to think of a new way to maximize revenue and not share with lesser schools that are in-conference now. It is either this or they will come up with a scheme to do unequal revenue sharing like the ACC is planning.

Reaction Score
After listening to Flugar again, I still think he's FOS and just regurgitating what has already trickled out: no vote in the short term (not no, not yes) and maybe something decided next year. Wow, so 1 Texas school is leaning towards a yes, that's fantastic, that gets us 7 probably positives out of 12 needed, !!!:mad: For him to go on to say that there are things trending favorably towards UConn only to counter with there are other scenarios that don't include UConn...all meaningless ramblings unless there is an overwhelming majority that say add UConn now. The Big12 prezs have known (or should have known) that UConn has value, they knew last year and early this year, that has not changed, and if they didn't know, then they have no business being in charge of major universities while having such myopic views. "I can only go so far with this...other things have to happen", yeah, sure bub, keep downing those milkshakes. It's a nothing story! Other universities don't get this crap as they get offered and added within days without this long drawn out nonsense.

That said, Benedict did say over the weekend something along the lines "...we love being part of the Big East...", okay, so something may be brewing, maybe not with the Big12.
I suspect there is a hint of truth and a lot of embellishment.

There probably has been movement in our favor.

I also suspect that there will be a vote as soon as the votes are there, whenever that is.

Reaction Score
I suspect there is a hint of truth and a lot of embellishment.

There probably has been movement in our favor.

I also suspect that there will be a vote as soon as the votes are there, whenever that is.
Looking at all factors, it would be beyond stupid not adding UConn to the B12 just due to our brand name alone. If the media money can be worked out, we should get the votes but you never know with these presidents. After all, you still got some of the presidents in the B12 now that screwed up the PAC-12 with their outdated thinking.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

You seem have some anger about this issue.

Sixth Sense Ninja GIF by Adult Swim

Reaction Score
I imagine the the Big 12 is thinking they are doing fine without UConn but maybe they can do a little better with.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

You should have just stopped at the "FOS". No further analysis or explanation needed to justify the first part of your post.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom