UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 74 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
what if we go to the ACC and within a few years the league falls apart and we are back to independence while looking for a new conference. Now thats the ultimate kick.
Given that our chances of going to the ACC are slim to none, the chances of going there AND becoming independent again are likely even slimmer and nonerer. They don't want us, like ever. Geopolitically and historically...UConn in the ACC makes sense, but since CR doesn't make any sense when it comes to us, I've long given up any notion of UConn rejoining our ex-Big East brethren in the ACC. I will be glad to eat my words should I be wrong, but the last decade+ of CR paint a pretty emphatic picture.

Reaction Score
There is evidence that the networks are liking us these days. That’s a huge step in the right direction. Now, we need to win football games so the football people like us too.

There’s so much focus on women’s basketball right now. We are getting hot in the 3 major revenue sports all at once. That will not be ignored. We really need this football season to unfold the way it’s beginning to look like it can.

Reaction Score
There is evidence that the networks are liking us these days. That’s a huge step in the right direction. Now, we need to win football games so the football people like us too.

There’s so much focus on women’s basketball right now. We are getting hot in the 3 major revenue sports all at once. That will not be ignored. We really need this football season to unfold the way it’s beginning to look like it can.
Another really strong year of women's basketball ratings wise would be huge for us.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Double-edged sword.

Fox likes us. Specifically, they like us anchoring their Big East product for 12-15% of what they would have to give us in the Big 12.

DGB

Reaction Score
Double-edged sword.

Fox likes us. Specifically, they like us anchoring their Big East product for 12-15% of what they would have to give us in the Big 12.
This is absolutely true and probably the thing that is keeping UConn out of the Big 12...

...But ESPN has some essentially wholly owned conferences. If ESPN likes UConn enough - and UConn football is good enough to curtail griping from certain members of these conferences - ESPN may pull the trigger on UConn.

Taking away the bargain Fox is currently getting on UConn also doesn't hurt the equation for ESPN. Fox should of course realize this, and with game theory and such start to weigh the option of losing UConn altogether.

Fox currently owns UConn's most valuable part (basketball). The question is whether ESPN would be willing to pay for the whole package, and if Fox is willing to let that happen and potentially lose UConn altogether. Football improvement dramatically helps that whole package equation.

Reaction Score
Double-edged sword.

Yes a double-edged sword but I'm not sure about your percentage calculation. The Big 12 would get a bump especially with UConn M & W Basketball and the Big East would see a drop in revenue but would survive. First, I don't think Fox would need to pay UConn 8x more in the Big 12 vs the Big East. Maybe 4x-5x more? Plus it'd be getting UConn Football on the ground floor. Second Fox would probably spend less on the Big East, so the net difference in cost would be even smaller. Third, take UConn off the table as an option for ACC and G6. Big 12 would get quite a return on its investment.

Reaction Score
Yes a double-edged sword but I'm not sure about your percentage calculation. The Big 12 would get a bump especially with UConn M & W Basketball and the Big East would see a drop in revenue but would survive. First, I don't think Fox would need to pay UConn 8x more in the Big 12 vs the Big East. Maybe 4x-5x more? Plus it'd be getting UConn Football on the ground floor. Second Fox would probably spend less on the Big East, so the net difference in cost would be even smaller. Third, take UConn off the table as an option for ACC and G6. Big 12 would get quite a return on its investment.
so the bottom line is that fox loses money

Reaction Score
so the bottom line is that fox loses money
Fox does not lose money. does Fox make less profit initially? perhaps. Men's & Women's Basketball makes the conference more valuable and if UConn Football improves as we all hope, that too would make the conference more valuable down the road. It is an investment for Fox

Reaction Score
Double-edged sword.

If we go to the B12, Fox will just cut the Big East off at the knees. Take 1-1.5 from each Big East member and give it to UConn. It’s cold, but realistic. The Big East would be in really big trouble without us right now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sounds good but the Big 12 didn't bite.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

Pizza Yes GIF

Reaction Score
Fox does not lose money. does Fox make less profit initially? perhaps. Men's & Women's Basketball makes the conference more valuable and if UConn Football improves as we all hope, that too would make the conference more valuable down the road. It is an investment for Fox

So fox loses money or that you know more than fox does. Gotcha.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom