UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 72 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Ehhhhh someday the nfl will start selling a Saturday package to the networks and college football will be second fiddle on there own day. A day of football reckoning is coming.

College football is still regional and I sometimes only watch it because there is nothing else. But put on NFL games and then suddenly all I am watching is UConn and the NFL. Maybe the 4th quarter of a close game between ranked teams.
The bolded is actually never going to happen because it’s against federal law. But go off king.

IMG_8470.jpeg

Reaction Score
Do you know how laws get changed in this country bud?

Best of luck convincing representatives throughout the Midwest and south to allow NFL games on Fridays and Saturdays- let me know how that goes.
@Drew from the top rope. BB fans keep hoping for the demise of CFB despite it being 2nd only in popularity to the NFL.

I've asked this before, why do our university representatives continue to pursue this if it so futile to do so?

Reaction Score
Do you know how laws get changed in this country bud?

Best of luck convincing representatives throughout the Midwest and south to allow NFL games on Fridays and Saturdays- let me know how that goes.
If they form 2 super conferences with two few schools and states, Congress will step in. Remember states like California have more then fans of UCLA, and USC, and a lot of representatives, the same goes for Texas, the other schools in those states aren't going to just sit by while other schools get money and they don't.
There will come a day of reckoning for the Networks, and the Schools of the power 2 unless they have enough schools in the fold.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If they form 2 super conferences with two few schools and states, Congress will step in. Remember states like California have more then fans of UCLA, and USC, and a lot of representatives, the same goes for Texas, the other schools in those states aren't going to just sit by while other schools get money and they don't.
There will come a day of reckoning for the Networks, and the Schools of the power 2 unless they have enough schools in the fold.
Do you believe that California fans care enough about NFL football that they would pressure their elected officials to allow NFL games on Friday nights and Saturdays?

Do you believe those in California who are dedicated fans of the NFL teams located in their state would prefer adding two more days to the mix of when regular season NFL games can be played?

Reaction Score
Ehhhhh someday the nfl will start selling a Saturday package to the networks and college football will be second fiddle on there own day. A day of football reckoning is coming.

College football is still regional and I sometimes only watch it because there is nothing else. But put on NFL games and then suddenly all I am watching is UConn and the NFL. Maybe the 4th quarter of a close game between ranked teams.
But that’s not necessarily true outside of the north east. NFL is a draw everywhere, but get out and see how a lot of the country approaches sat.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He's actually correct and your slant is 1000% wrong. Nothing funnier than a dude dropping the mike for no reason.

The Big East will be elbowed out of the buffet line. I give it a decade.

The big conferences see how much money is made from basketball and they don't want to share.

Three thoughts:

1) You are a broken record on this, and you are not the only one. What font size and style do I need to post "WE ALL GET THAT UCONN WOULD BE BETTER OFF IN THE BIG 10" before you stop posting this crap? Would it make you and many of your cohorts happier if UConn asked the Big 10, SEC, ACC and Big 12 every day if they wanted to add UConn?

2) The only way you are right is if the Big 12 and ACC are saved and the Big East is not. Walk us all through the logic of how that happens. If college sports are marching to two or one conferences, what difference does it make which one we are in if it is not the survivor?

3) You have been predicting the demise of UConn's athletic program since the BCU/Miami raid in 2002, and I guess if you just keep predicting it you might be right eventually. In the meantime, UConn has won FIVE national championships in men's basketball. But you keep rooting for its failure and maybe, eventually, you will be right.

Reaction Score
Three thoughts:

1) You are a broken record on this, and you are not the only one. What font size and style do I need to post "WE ALL GET THAT UCONN WOULD BE BETTER OFF IN THE BIG 10" before you stop posting this crap? Would it make you and many of your cohorts happier if UConn asked the Big 10, SEC, ACC and Big 12 every day if they wanted to add UConn?

2) The only way you are right is if the Big 12 and ACC are saved and the Big East is not. Walk us all through the logic of how that happens. If college sports are marching to two or one conferences, what difference does it make which one we are in if it is not the survivor?

3) You have been predicting the demise of UConn's athletic program since the BCU/Miami raid in 2002, and I guess if you just keep predicting it you might be right eventually. In the meantime, UConn has won FIVE national championships in men's basketball. But you keep rooting for its failure and maybe, eventually, you will be right.

You calling anyone a broken record is rich.

Reaction Score
There's an old expression "there is no one as blind as he who refuses to see".

I am baffled that so many dismiss the selection process from this past tournament and refuse to believe that things will only continue to get worse. Yes, with the season we had last year, under any conditions we would receive a tournament bid with a top seed.

The issue is that it won't be long before the BE isca two bid league while both the B1G & SEC land ten to twelve schools in every tournament. When we have a season where we are the third BE school and are left out while Mississippi and Minnesota both go 7-11in conference, 17-15 overall and make the field our fans will get the dose of reality that we need them to have today. At the moment they're on the elevated end of the boat saying "only the end of the boat they are on is sinking"
The B12 commissioner already basically proposed that the P4 get a larger share of the bids that everyone else. The ACC and SEC commissioners concurred. They also proposed being exempt from the play-in games. That was what the whole tournament expansion discussion was about, too. If there is an expansion the extra bids ain’t going to the NEC.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The B12 commissioner already basically proposed that the P4 get a larger share of the bids that everyone else. The ACC and SEC commissioners concurred. They also proposed being exempt from the play-in games. That was what the whole tournament expansion discussion was about, too. If there is an expansion the extra bids ain’t going to the NEC.
I think they put all the non P4 auto bids into a new play in first round. And that play in first round will get something like a 1/2 share under the current win/share formula. Something like that to start stacking the tournament $$ and opportunities away from the non P4 Cinderellas.

Reactions: TKs
Reaction Score

Won't even need Congress to step in. Once the networks realize that actual revenues and ratings are down 50% from their projections because most of the rooting public has lost interest, they themselves will force the reckoning.

The idea that by contracting the sport, the P2 schools can eat bigger slices of the same-sized pie is McKinsey-level idiocy.

This applies to both football and basketball. They will flush all that March Madness money down the toilet before they know what hit them.

Here is a history lesson:

In the early days of the NFL, the Mara and Halas families realized that their teams could dominate the league forever; but that it was in everyone's best interest--including their own--to have some level of parity.

And the league was looking to expand--always--and still today is looking for new markets to put teams and generate revenue.

That league has likely earned over a trillion in revenue since its formation, or will hit that number soon. The business of the NFL has been nothing but a massive success, since forever.

But the academic choads that run P2 schools--abetted by network suits who can't see a week ahead of their own faces--are doing the exact opposite.

What they should be doing:

Invite even more schools to play football at the FBS level, and figure out a way to make it affordable for everyone. Maybe even invite Canadian schools. Expand the sport, the fanbase, and everyone's revenue.

I only wish I could be there in 10 or 15 years to see the faces on the Florida State trustees--and their private equity masters--when they get told that their media contracts will be renewing for 50% of the expiring value. I wonder whom they will sue then?

Reaction Score
Do you believe that California fans care enough about NFL football that they would pressure their elected officials to allow NFL games on Friday nights and Saturdays?

Do you believe those in California who are dedicated fans of the NFL teams located in their state would prefer adding two more days to the mix of when regular season NFL games can be played?
Wasn"t talking about NFL teams those states have other colleges they need to protect. And in the end game they will. Texas already did that years ago when the Big 8 was formed and Baylor got in.

Reaction Score
Baylor was a founding member of the Southwest conference (1914-1996

The Big 12 was founded in February 1994. All eight members of the former Big Eight Conference joined along with half the members of the former Southwest Conference (Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor and Texas Tech) to form the conference, with play beginning in 1996..(Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor, and Texas Tech entered the SW Conference together fronm the Border Conference in 1956). They had been together for a long time by 1996.

Not taken from the Southwest Conference were SMU, TCU, Houston, and Rice....

Reaction Score
I think they put all the non P4 auto bids into a new play in first round. And that play in first round will get something like a 1/2 share under the current win/share formula. Something like that to start stacking the tournament $$ and opportunities away from the non P4 Cinderellas.
No they don't. They'll put all the AQs into the expanded first round. The whole point is more TV exposure for them. The best way is to eliminate all the minor conference teams early.

Reaction Score
No they don't. They'll put all the AQs into the expanded first round. The whole point is more TV exposure for them. The best way is to eliminate all the minor conference teams early.
There was even talk of eliminating automatic bids for leagues that didn’t meet certain metrics. Guess who would get Those bids?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I don't see a difference in what we are saying. Teams in the tournament are either AQs, power conf at large or mid majors at large. In the future, rather than block all the mid majors and non power AQs, I think they will expand the current play in round on Tuesday to a much larger slate where virtually all of the small school AQs and a few at large mid majors play each other for what is basically the right to enter the 64 team tournament. This expanded play in round will get a 1/2 share. And then they will think about giving any schools that make it past the sweet 16 a 1.5 share or something. This will work to tilt the economic power towards the power schools without going whole hog by forming a new tournament.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom