UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 70 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Don't blame hoop fans. Football fans d
What was there to support, as I was there every weekend watching a terrible program being destroyed by a coach past his time, the next one sold sunshine and gave us doom and gloom, and then RE 2.0 was just bad as he had zero heart in it when he decided to kill the 2020 season instead of playing a couple of games at least.
Now we finally have a professional coach who has won at the top levels in college and in the pros. He needs support, and the 32000 tickets in the last game were good. My hope winning will get the stadium hopping once again

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I am just saying. Even look at big 12…fans would rather remain status quo in big east than get the ad department into big 12.
Can you blame them? They saw what happened to both BB programs when football mandated leaving the Big East. And they saw what happened when they came back to the Big East. The football first fans believe that UConn football can never fail, it can only be failed.

Reaction Score
Can you blame them? They saw what happened to both BB programs when football mandated leaving the Big East. And they saw what happened when they came back to the Big East. The football first fans believe that UConn football can never fail, it can only be failed.
This is odd. UConn was in the Big East which had football. The BB schools decided they didn't want to associate with FB any longer now that the BCS money dried up. In addition those same BB schools implored UConn to move up to FBS and expedite the timeline.

In short the Big East left UConn not the other way around. Unless you wanted them to disband the program when the BB schools left and bought the name?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
In short the Big East left UConn not the other way around. Unless you wanted them to disband the program when the BB schools left and bought the name?
That's not the point. The point is FCS football was sold as a necessity to save our basketball. It's done no such thing. It's become a millstone propped up by basketball. Without our great hoop teams we are not in any expansion discussion, we would be like UMass headed for MACtion. So I wince when I hear FB supporters taking shots at BB fans not sold on moving all our sports in to a conference over a thousand miles away. It's a reasonable POV.

Reaction Score
That's not the point. The point is FCS football was sold as a necessity to save our basketball. It's done no such thing. It's become a millstone propped up by basketball. Without our great hoop teams we are not in any expansion discussion, we would be like UMass headed for MACtion. So I wince when I hear FB supporters taking shots at BB fans not sold on moving all our sports in to a conference over a thousand miles away. It's a reasonable POV.
Flipside of that is without FB you are Villanova. As great as their hoops have been, they are never a candidate for P4.

The reason FB has not been an asset is because the school basically neglected it after the collapse of the Big East. That seems to be changing but it may be too late.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

The major flaw in your point of view is going forward the BE and other conferences outside the P2/3/4 are going to have less and less access to the NCAAT and less access to revenue.
UConn's basketball brand won't be enough to save the athletic dept thanks to the actions of two conferences.
The college sports economic model your POV is based on won't exist going forward.

Reaction Score
The major flaw in your point of view is going forward the BE and other conferences outside the P2/3/4 are going to have less and less access to the NCAAT and less access to revenue.
UConn's basketball brand won't be enough to save the athletic dept thanks to the actions of two conferences.
The college sports economic model your POV is based on won't exist going forward.
I don't understand why this isn't crystal clear to anyone paying attention. I fully expect the P4 to form their own Basketball Tourney within a decade.

Reaction Score
This is odd. UConn was in the Big East which had football. The BB schools decided they didn't want to associate with FB any longer now that the BCS money dried up. In addition those same BB schools implored UConn to move up to FBS and expedite the timeline.

AAC was not a good BB conference but oddly enough Louisville and UConn both won championships. Big 12 is a great conference and ACC is good too.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That's been said for 25 years now. And look where we are now, in the wilderness, alone. Still waiting for someone to take pity on us. But this time for sure!

I have a foot in both camps. I'm a BB fan who has supported FB with my money and attendance for over 20 years and I have no regrets. But FB fans saying BB fans don't get it are the ones that don't get it.

Reaction Score
You mean when we won National Championship #4?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That's been said for 25 years now. And look where we are now, in the wilderness, alone. Still waiting for someone to take pity on us. But this time for sure!

I have a foot in both camps. I'm a BB fan who has supported FB with my money and attendance for over 20 years and I have no regrets. But FB fans saying BB fans don't get it are the ones that don't get it.

Agree to disagree.

Much like chicken little only needing to be right once and Hurley's detractors being right until he did win, and Mount St Helens only had to blow once, college sports are eventually going have a major breakaway and most everyone agrees you want to be on the side of the breakaway with top level football.

Reaction Score
Flipside of that is without FB you are Villanova. As great as their hoops have been, they are never a candidate for P4.

The reason FB has not been an asset is because the school basically neglected it after the collapse of the Big East. That seems to be changing but it may be too late.
It’s never too late if you win. At the very least Duke is a stable, well funded fb program in a great conference. Coulda shoulda woulda game. Win the G games and we have 2 shots at P4 teams, WF and Syracuse. Short term fate is in our hands. 9-3?? That would raise some eyebrows. Which G game(s) is/are most likely loss(es)?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

^^^These 2 sentences should be mandatory reading for all Boneyarders who are arguing to kill the football program.

There is a financial hurricane coming the NCAA's way (and one might argue it's already here). The only schools that will be spared the effects of the hurricane are those who have a football program. Period.

Reaction Score
It isn’t either or. Football wasn’t reason UConn basketball failed in the aac. I think the move has worked great for UConn basketball.

Basketball can’t hold up the athletic department and its future .

Reaction Score
Or Georgetown. I mean can you imagine a tourney without Georgetown. They were the best team in the country…once…40 years ago.
Does anyone really believe that if that judge approves that deal, that the SEC, and Big aren't going after a bigger share of the NCAA tournament pot. They will find a way to limit most conferences to 1 bid, and probably end up forcing all conferences outside the power 4 to a maximum of 2 bids.

Reaction Score
Let’s get real folks. Do a little research on various fan bases reaction to their school moving conferences. You will find there is always a certain segment opposed, This never stopped the movement. There is a part of the fan base that has followed this for years and is sick of being jerked around. They just wants to wake up when the nightmare is over. If a move is announced tomorrow they would move into the support column.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why this isn't crystal clear to anyone paying attention. I fully expect the P4 to form their own Basketball Tourney within a decade.
And the BE could be left behind. We are in peculiar situation in the BE. We aren't going to become a small Catholic, liberal arts college with no football. Right now our BB can help us get into a P-4 conference, if we commit to FB . BB is a nationwide marquis brand. It will help us in our conference quest.

As I have said ad nauseam, we need BB to be monetized for the schools for us to accomplish this. It is not, far-fetched. UConn BB will lead us to a P-4 conference if the BB powers wrest control of MM from NCAA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom