UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 68 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
because they think they're going somewhere, its about the long term and they only have hope in the long term and you have the coaching and talent for the here and now. But they also know it won't be the here and now forever
Whenever I see the "money flex" either on other boards or on Twitter, it inevitably reeks of let's brag about money because we have nothing else to brag about.

You never see a fan bragging about conference affiliation media distributions after a big win. But it can be seen pretty often on the Syracuse board, for example, when we are in the middle of a championship run.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Whenever I see the "money flex" either on other boards or on Twitter, it inevitably reeks of let's brag about money because we have nothing else to brag about.
It's almost as if I can imagine a poster here that does just that. Weird, maybe it's my poor imagination running wild. ^_^

Reaction Score
Other interesting tidbits:
- My Austin HS football group was surprised at how much resistance there was to joining the B12 FROM THE UCONN FANBASE themselves. To them, it comes off as, "Hey, we're throwing you a life line and you don't want it? We have to drag you kicking and screaming as well?" And not just the fanbase, but the media and legislatures. That was really off-putting to them.

That’s because your local yokel Texas types see the sports world through a straw inside of a vat of ranch dressing from the men’s bathroom at Buc’ees.

I was a decent offer but football in ‘31? Hardly a great offer.

Were they surprised that half the Big 12 was opposed too?

Reaction Score
And this is the issue UConn faces with football. Can't get good with scheduling teams people would want to see and can't get butts in the seat with scheduling teams we can improve and should beat once we get better (if somehow that happens). There's no rooting interest against teams because there's no conference anything to play for. It's a crap spot.
BS.
You get the right coach and win games. Then win more games. Winning brings fans and media.
Winning, fans and media brings $’s.

Just win Baby!

Reaction Score
@GoKU what are you hearing on your end?

Dead dead?

Dead until ACC falls apart or 2031 media deal (whichever comes first)?

Dead until next summer?
Dead until next summer. Yormark really has egg on his face. He thought for sure the Endeavor presentation would convince the Presidents. Should have been handled with personal phone calls first.

KryHavok

Reaction Score
Dead until next summer. Yormark really has egg on his face. He thought for sure the Endeavor presentation would convince the Presidents. Should have been handled with personal phone calls first.
Come on dude, don't string us along. The Big12 has now passed on UConn 3 times (2016, 2022, & 2023). This dalliance is deader than Julius Caesar and has no legs to stand on. That the Big12 took 3 schools (without hesitation) that don't have the same BBall championship pedigree that UConn has tells me there was no sincerity or chance for UConn to join.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Thanks for the response. Hope you’re right and this deal gets done!

KryHavok

Reaction Score
Come on dude, don't string us along. The Big12 has now passed on UConn 3 times (2016, 2022, & 2023). This dalliance is deader than Julius Caesar and has no legs to stand on. That the Big12 took 3 schools (without hesitation) that don't have the same BBall championship pedigree that UConn has tells me there was no sincerity or chance for UConn to join.
Got my years wrong, meant 2016, 2023 and 2024.

Reaction Score

FIFY:
Come on, dude, don't string us along. The Big12 has now passed on UConn 3 times (2016, 2022, & 2023). This dalliance is deader than Julius Caesar and has no legs to stand on. That the Big12 took 3 schools (without hesitation) that had a much stronger football pedigree than UConn has tells me there was no sincerity or chance for UConn to join.

Reaction Score

Benedict to Yormark (hopefully): Thanks for the interest but don't call us again until you have necessary support.

Reaction Score
It seemed people were less resistant this time around. Maybe UConn is an acquired taste for some in Big 12 country.

Reaction Score
Typical you pay outside vendor money to give you good investments to take. So what do you do………. The exact opposite

Those east coast hippies have no idea what they are talking about. What we need is the second best schools in Ore and Wash.

KryHavok

Reaction Score
FIFY:
I don't need you to fix my post. I stand by what I wrote. Yormark was advocating BASKETBALL adds, NOT football. That is easily improved upon by bringing in UConn. But since you mentioned football, ASU, AZ and UU brought ZERO football championships into the Big12. Wow, you're right, that is sooo much stronger a pedigree, to bring in 0 championships, thank you for the enlightment as my apparently obsolete math equated 0 to nothing. Last prestigious bowl victories (from the 6 major bowls) for those 3, cough, cough "much stronger football" pedigrees:

UU: 2009 Sugar Bowl vs. Alabama
ASU: 1987 Rose Bowl vs. Michigan
AZ: 1994 Fiesta Bowl vs. Miami

Does anyone not suffering from insanity really think these 3 schools are going to compete for football national championship? Even Rutgers can claim to be better than those 3 from its lone purported collegiate football title from 1869.

As I wrote in a previous post, you seem to only come to post negative comments about UConn...we already get that from misinformed wannabe podcaster morons.

KryHavok

Reaction Score
It seemed people were less resistant this time around. Maybe UConn is an acquired taste for some in Big 12 country.
Some people like New England clam chowder, some prefer Manhattan clam chowder (we can bring both types), and many hate clam chowder...maybe if we had BBQ clam chowder that would...nah, never mind.

Reaction Score
I don't need you to fix my post. I stand by what I wrote. Yormark was advocating BASKETBALL adds, NOT football. That is easily improved upon by bringing in UConn. But since you mentioned football, ASU, AZ and UU brought ZERO football championships into the Big12. Wow, you're right, that is sooo much stronger a pedigree, to bring in 0 championships, thank you for the enlightment as my apparently obsolete math equated 0 to nothing. Last prestigious bowl victories (from the 6 major bowls) for those 3, cough, cough "much stronger football" pedigrees:

Does anyone not suffering from insanity really think these 3 schools are going to compete for football national championship? Even Rutgers can claim to be better than those 3 from its lone purported collegiate football title from 1869.

As I wrote in a previous post, you seem to only come to post negative comments about UConn...we already get that from misinformed wannabe podcaster morons.
You can add Colorado to the list. Total waste of time. Will never win a championship in anything.

Reaction Score

We have no idea what will happen but UConn may still get an invite from either the Big 12 or the ACC. UConn is always in the wrong place at the wrong time and that has been the biggest factor.

Yormark wants UConn and it was always a reach, and all he can do is try. BY brought the parties to the table and the potential deal included several terms. At the end, they couldn't agree to the terms so they paused the conversation. No sense talking every day if they can't agree. Maybe they were close but they couldn't agree, or maybe some schools just flat out said no, but he tried.

We know the story.
XII had a big dog & pony show and invited no one
XII invited what it thought were the 4 best programs available from the AAC and Indie after losing TX and OK
XII had the Corner 4 drop into its lap, almost half the PAC 12 Conference
Yormark wants UConn but there are half a dozen ACC programs which may become available soon so there is no rush

I don't see it as the XII passing on UConn 3 times. I think the XII would need a change of heart very soon or it will never happen. I fully expect if UConn comes up again down the road, at least 4 ACC programs will suddenly become available and that's that. The chance of any given Big XII program winning a football national championship is very small so that isn't really what matters. They just need to be good football programs and UConn needs to get to that point.

Reaction Score

You're right, it's likely that none of those recent additions is going to compete for a national football championship in the foreseeable future, and maybe never. The P2 has that sewed up. But so what? There are no other potential and available additions to the B12 capable of that right now, least of all, UConn. While Yormark may have wanted to further bolster B12 basketball, it was the member schools, all of which were well aware of UConn's current basketball prowess, that apparently gave the thumbs-down to a Huskies invitation. Why? Because, even though the B12 is arguably the best basketball conference top-to-bottom, they know that football drives the realignment bus. Sorry if that offends you or if you think I'm down on UConn for stating the obvious. If UConn wants in, it has to improve football.

Fail to do that, and UConn's best hope may be for an invitation to a more basketball-centric rump ACC after its football schools leave for greener pastures. Or stay in the NBE.

Reaction Score
Not true... They are NCs in Skiing near to every year!
Skiing is not a sport offered by the Big 12 Conference, so it doesn bring a championship to that conference. Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Utah is probably the best team that is currently in the Big12 over the past 5 years and one of the top teams in the country consistently over the same period. Arizona ended last year ranked 11 and is ranked this year. They may be two of the better teams in the Big 12.

Reaction Score
Utah is probably the best team that is currently in the Big12 over the past 5 years and one of the top teams in the country consistently over the same period. Arizona ended last year ranked 11 and is ranked this year. They may be two of the better teams in the Big 12.
I'll stick with Okie State as the best football program. If SEC were smart...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom