UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 67 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

Reaction Score
Really... 1,660 posts with 1,660 opinions, every one of which is speculation/conjecture and will have absolutely ZERO impact on the final result. As fans, we are along for the ride in the caboose of this train.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For those interested in UConn into the ACC, because Boston College football is in great shape this year, the BC crowd probably wouldn't need to blackball us this time around. We aren't a threat. This may be a better time to lobby the ACC for membership. Syracuse may be sympathetic to UConn too. Our old supporters of the Tobacco Road schools still are probably hoping for us to join.
And DeFilippo is no longer there.

Reaction Score
UConn is definitely AAU viable and UMass likely is as well. I hear the proverbial "Yale, Harvard, MIT etc... blackball UConn" - is there any truth to it?
Why would Harvard, MIT and Yale blackball UConn from AAU membership? I would think they either would like to see us in there or really don't care.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This post is fixing be to be a conspiracy theory post, so feel free to ignore. I caught up with some friends for a CFB watch party and some interesting convos came out.

Actual goal of B12 expansion talk: Raise money for UConn Football NIL.

Stretch goal of B12 expansion talk: Get UConn into the B12.

Brett Yormack is a very intentional guy. He's very strategic and thinks about problems on different levels. He wants UConn in the B12, but he knows UConn football needs to get much better, faster. So Yormack and Benedict allows for a "leak" to happen a couple weeks before football season starts to get people talking about UConn.

What better way to get people to do something than by telling the, "No." Supposedly, the actual goal has been accomplished, which also happens to be a prereq to get to the long-term real goal.

Other interesting tidbits:
- My Austin HS football group was surprised at how much resistance there was to joining the B12 FROM THE UCONN FANBASE themselves. To them, it comes off as, "Hey, we're throwing you a life line and you don't want it? We have to drag you kicking and screaming as well?" And not just the fanbase, but the media and legislatures. That was really off-putting to them.

- There is a general belief that we aren't done with realignment. That there will be some total or partial collapse of the NCAA. It's reason #1 why Texas bolted for the SEC instead of being the King of the B12. The more money part was a side benefit. A side benefit in all of this latest "failed UConn to B12 run" is that there is more support overall in UConn joining the B12 among the B12 fanbases. Hearts and minds are changing.

- On the 6 (yes) and 2 (no) votes, my UT AD friend guarantees the following: Yes - Baylor, Houston, AZ, Cincy, WV, Kansas. No - BYU, Utah. This is assuming those were the eight that were polled. It could be others, but those are our six strongest "yes" and "no". He also believes TCU, UCF, Iowa St, Texas Tech, and Colorado would be "yes" as well. Even if OKST and KST were "no", they would follow the majority and want Yormack wanted.

So it seems like we had the votes now and last year before the PAC12 collapsed. Obvious question then, why isn't UConn in the B12? There's some other unknown, unreported reason. Pressing further, my AD friend said the 75% super majority requirement -- even though reported as such and part of the B12 by-laws -- is not entirely accurate. For something like expansion, they need/want 100%. It's not enough for BYU and Utah to be revenue neutral to put up UConn football. "99% of the time, it's about money. Not enough wheels were greased."

Lots of conjecture here. With people that are in the industry, but not directly involved with UConn of the B12. But thinking about it further, everything seems to track.

I am surprised that no one can get to BYU. There are a lot of Connecticut and northeast-based BYU grads and it is hard not to come across a lot of them in business. Someone must know someone that can get to the BYU Athletic Department. Utah is much more of a regional school and the state is involved. It may be harder to get to them.

I think there is an unknown, unreported reason. The Big 12 pulled the plug on their discussion with UConn 24 hours before an ESPN interview comes out that they played no role in any conference expansion and the Big 10 makes a press release, out of nowhere, that it is not considering expansion. I think there is a school or schools planning to sue the P4, and my first two suspects would be Washington State and Oregon State. That explanation would link the Big 12, Big 10, and ESPN altogether. If that was even threatened, everyone would circle the wagons. A major anti-trust suit by a school against the P4 would be a HUGE deal.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why would Harvard, MIT and Yale blackball UConn from AAU membership? I would think they either would like to see us in there or really don't care.
In a world where they are all competing for a limited amount of government funded research?

CL82

Reaction Score
I’ve been at UCF all weekend. Gotta admit, the “This is BXII Country” flags everywhere are enviable. Definitely a much bigger time feel around UCF than pre-B12.
I remember having a similar impression when the Big Ten banners started appearing on the Rutgers campus.

Reaction Score
I am surprised that no one can get to BYU. There are a lot of Connecticut and northeast-based BYU grads and it is hard not to come across a lot of them in business. Someone must know someone that can get to the BYU Athletic Department. Utah is much more of a regional school and the state is involved. It may be harder to get to them.

I think there is an unknown, unreported reason. The Big 12 pulled the plug on their discussion with UConn 24 hours before an ESPN interview comes out that they played no role in any conference expansion and the Big 10 makes a press release, out of nowhere, that it is not considering expansion. I think there is a school or schools planning to sue the P4, and my first two suspects would be Washington State and Oregon State. That explanation would link the Big 12, Big 10, and ESPN altogether. If that was even threatened, everyone would circle the wagons. A major anti-trust suit by a school against the P4 would be a HUGE deal.
That'd certainly add to the drama.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That'd certainly add to the drama.

It would definitely shake things up. The Big 10 and ACC creating tiered membership levels could backfire, because it becomes evidence of monopolistic behavior, and that SMU deal with the ACC enables a plaintiff to better quantify damages, that can be trebled when they plaintiffs win. And I am very confident that the first school or schools to sue the P4 for anti-trust violations are going to win, for the same reason that all the plaintiffs that have sued the NCAA and P4 for anti-trust violations have won.

Reaction Score
It would definitely shake things up. The Big 10 and ACC creating tiered membership levels could backfire, because it becomes evidence of monopolistic behavior, and that SMU deal with the ACC enables a plaintiff to better quantify damages, that can be trebled when they plaintiffs win. And I am very confident that the first school or schools to sue the P4 for anti-trust violations are going to win, for the same reason that all the plaintiffs that have sued the NCAA and P4 for anti-trust violations have won.
What have been the previous anti-trust based lawsuits against the NCAA?

Reaction Score
There are already tiered membership levels. This is how the NCAA has been structured for half a century.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
What have been the previous anti-trust based lawsuits against the NCAA?

Alston was decided 9-0 against the NCAA, and the NCAA/P4 is trying to settle for billions on House.

There were two cases on the 80’s and 90’s about TV rights that the NCAA lost.

Reaction Score
Alston was decided 9-0 against the NCAA, and the NCAA/P4 is trying to settle for billions on House.

There were two cases on the 80’s and 90’s about TV rights that the NCAA lost.
I did not know that the House case was anti -trust. I realized it was a class suit. Thx.

Reaction Score
I'm still hoping the B1G wakes up and realizes they're not doing well in any sport that matters and UConn being added for basketball (no matter how weak the football program is at this time) will give the league something to boast about while they figure out why the league has only 3 BCS National Championships while the SEC has 15, and the lowly ACC 5.

yeah, other than filling up their massive stadiums every Saturday, and Michigan wining the national championship in football last year, they’ve pretty much sucked at the important sports.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
"The Rant" from Knumbskull News. No idea who this guy is, but he's amusing and feels strongly about UConn to the Big12. Didn't see it posted elsewhere.

"How many national titles do they have since 1999? They have an ABSURD amount of titles!"

This guy gets it. He gets that UConn is a powerhouse brand in multiple sports, and that the Big12 presidents should absolutely listen to Yormark...

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
"The Rant" from Knumbskull News. No idea who this guy is, but he's amusing and feels strongly about UConn to the Big12. Didn't see it posted elsewhere.

Thanks for posting this @SoFla Steve. This guy is preaching to the choir, but I'm glad he put this out, even if he's just a sole voice. Didn't diss the Big East, gave his props, and talked up UConn. "KU is greatness, they're not UConn...UNC the last 20 years, you're not UConn..UConn's the $#!+, they've been the $#!+ for 2 decades!". That Knumbskull really gets it, too bad the knumskulls running the B12 don't.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting this @SoFla Steve. This guy is preaching to the choir, but I'm glad he put this out, even if he's just a sole voice. Didn't diss the Big East, gave his props, and talked up UConn. "KU is greatness, they're not UConn...UNC the last 20 years, you're not UConn..UConn's the $#!+, they've been the $#!+ for 2 decades!". That Knumbskull really gets it, too bad the knumskulls running the B12 don't.
Was nice to finally hear good things about UConn with no "buts" to follow.......

Reaction Score
Didn’t watch yet to see if anything new but 33 minute.

Pretty good episode. He speaks quickly and covers ground unlike many guys who plod along and say nothing.

37:55 - He speaks about the House Case and the uncertainty with revenue sharing. Also mentions how he thinks the Big East schools without football should be in a healthy position with the revenue sharing but not sure how he came to that conclusion with all the uncertainty.

40:35 - Not helpful for Yormark with all this leakage. I'm curious what is happening behind the scenes and if Yormark is frustrated trying to run the conference when the members won't agree with him.

Reaction Score
Pretty good episode. He speaks quickly and covers ground unlike many guys who plod along and say nothing.

37:55 - He speaks about the House Case and the uncertainty with revenue sharing. Also mentions how he thinks the Big East schools without football should be in a healthy position with the revenue sharing but not sure how he came to that conclusion with all the uncertainty.

40:35 - Not helpful for Yormark with all this leakage. I'm curious what is happening behind the scenes and if Yormark is frustrated trying to run the conference when the members won't agree with him.
42:48 - The Mets fan (Parish) says he would side with Yormark and that UConn could succeed with P4 $$. Norlander goes on to say it sucks that fans now focus on finances which no-one cared at all about before. Care more about finances than wins.

Reaction Score
42:48 - The Mets fan (Parish) says he would side with Yormark and that UConn could succeed with P4 $$. Norlander goes on to say it sucks that fans now focus on finances which no-one cared at all about before. Care more about finances than wins.
This really is so true. TV contract dollars matter more than wins to most fans which is so stupid. @kobe is a great example. No one gave a flip about that 10 years ago.

CL82

Reaction Score
TV contract dollars matter more than wins to most fans which is so stupid
Is that it, or is it that fans without championships like to brag about how much money the other schools in their conference make them?

It's kind of sad when you think about it.

Reaction Score
Is that it, or is it that fans without championships like to brag about how much money the other schools in their conference make them?

It's kind of sad when you think about it.
because they think they're going somewhere, its about the long term and they only have hope in the long term and you have the coaching and talent for the here and now. But they also know it won't be the here and now forever

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom