UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 66 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

B12

Reaction Score
This was basically our last chance. The ACC will be, at best, the bottom half of the league. Unless we go Big East 3.0 and the leagues merge, and half the members play football again, I'm not sure it would be worth joining.
That's an interesting once. Kinda like WSU and OSU. Where are they really going to go now that they declined the MW offer.

Seems like there will be 5-10 former p-4/5 schools left over when the dust settles. WSU, OSU, Cal, Stanford, SMU, Wake, BC, Cuse, and maybe Pitt. I think the others will find homes.

Do you think UConn would leave the Big East for that conference to try to save FB?

Reaction Score
Part of me thinks this round was merely a publicity stunt by Yormark to gain attention and hear people say "look at how creative and ambitious he is". Other than providing some fodder for trolls we really weren't hurt by this and if we don't have thick enough skin to brush off the minor negative press, we don't belong competing at this level in any sport.

Boise St was able to build a pretty solid program. When the SEC broke apart, TCU was able to buck the odds and develop a good enough program to get invited to the B-12 (when they still had Texas & Oklahoma).

Very recently I've seen Liberty, Coastal Carolina and James Madison have quality seasons. I refuse to believe that building a solid football program is out of reach for us.
This was a black eye for Yormark.

I remember when this topic came up last year and there were at least a couple of insane posters who thought Yormark had a diabolical plan and never had interest in Uconn. Truth is, if he had it his way he would have brought Uconn in last year. He lost that fight and undoubtedly lost a little cred and cache in the process. He wanted Uconn enough to do it again at the risk of losing more. My reflections:

1) Yormark is the best friend Uconn has. Even if he isn't able to get Uconn in the B12, his interest shows that we're valuable. The ACC has to have taken notice by now and must feel some pressure that "we are not guaranteed to be there forever" (F-K the ACC btw).

2) I doubt he'll try again unless he has the votes lined up in advance. Meaning, hopefully we won't have to be put through yet another round of this crap and if we get the tap on the shoulder it will be quick. I think that only happens when the ACC splits and if the numbers add up.

3) The ACC is absolute garbage. We might have a little more money if we go there but not enough to sustain the program so let's just not. This league showed us the ultimate disrespect for years. Related, we don't owe the Big East anything either. It was a bunch of small Catholic schools that decided to deprioritize football originally (could have had Penn State), then they bailed on Uconn and we're somehow left with a narrative that they took US back after WE left and saved us. PFFTT

Reaction Score
Yep, you did it again Changed the subject and resorted to personal chatter. Thanks for confirming who the insecure one is here.

The reason you don't like the data is because it proves I am right.

As JMick mentioned. This was it UConn got so close on 2 occasions. Once with Gonzaga and once by themselves.

It feels like ESPN and FOX have already decided who is going where, just a matter of the lawsuits playing out.

So do you think the Big East would add Cuse, BC, Pitt, Wake? It seems like they would be left over.
This is too much fun now. Please please reply.
I’m guessing that Ol Bessie kicked you in the head while you were milking her. And I’d also guess it happened more than once. Probably like 12 times.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
They will. Fans just need to feel happy with a team that is fun to watch. Watching us lose to Tulsa was awful. If we were winning those football games and going for conference titles it would have been an entirely different experience.

We didn’t have very smart coaches in that era.
I wonder how Kansas St fans feel watching their team lose to Tulsa.....

Reaction Score

I remember when this topic came up last year and there were at least a couple of insane posters who thought Yormark had a diabolical plan and never had interest in Uconn. Truth is, if he had it his way he would have brought Uconn in last year. He lost that fight and undoubtedly lost a little cred and cache in the process. He wanted Uconn enough to do it again at the risk of losing more. My reflections:

1) Yormark is the best friend Uconn has. Even if he isn't able to get Uconn in the B12, his interest shows that we're valuable. The ACC has to have taken notice by now and must feel some pressure that "we are not guaranteed to be there forever" (F-K the ACC btw).

2) I doubt he'll try again unless he has the votes lined up in advance. Meaning, hopefully we won't have to be put through yet another round of this crap and if we get the tap on the shoulder it will be quick. I think that only happens when the ACC splits and if the numbers add up.

3) The ACC is absolute garbage. We might have a little more money if we go there but not enough to sustain the program so let's just not. This league showed us the ultimate disrespect for years. Related, we don't owe the Big East anything either. It was a bunch of small Catholic schools that decided to deprioritize football originally (could have had Penn State), then they bailed on Uconn and we're somehow left with a narrative that they took US back after WE left and saved us. PFFTT
Let's hope Yormark isn't happy about getting a black eye from the Big 12 and decides to leave for the ACC.

Reaction Score
It would be awesome if the Big XII sucked this year
There isn’t a single top level team I. Conference by default, one will rise to the top, but remembe in big east after Miami left? Wvu became top team. They left. Louisville became too team, they left. Cincinnati and ucf then became too team.

There is now a vacuum in the big 12 someone will fill it.

The only thing that conference realignment has contributed is that it elevated teams:

Wvu, ucf, Louisville, Cincinnati, Houston, SMU into the top ranks of the sport while teams that were historically better than them became mediocre.

None of those teams get into the national picture if Miami, Virginia tech, Pitt, Syracuse, BC stayed in their respective conferences.

Reaction Score
Well, the Husky gridiron warriors sure turned up the heat against Merrimack!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Posting from 241?
Yes.

Someone got creative with their tailgate. Saw this in the blue lot before the game

20240907_115754.jpg

Reaction Score
What doesn’t make sense is if ESPN is pushing for UConn. Wouldn’t the Acc work out even better if UConn basketball was in it? Since ESPN owns all there rights.
Because ESPN is anti UConn. Always has been. Now they are lying about the latest ACC additions being not their doing.

Reaction Score
This post is fixing be to be a conspiracy theory post, so feel free to ignore. I caught up with some friends for a CFB watch party and some interesting convos came out.

Actual goal of B12 expansion talk: Raise money for UConn Football NIL.

Stretch goal of B12 expansion talk: Get UConn into the B12.

Brett Yormack is a very intentional guy. He's very strategic and thinks about problems on different levels. He wants UConn in the B12, but he knows UConn football needs to get much better, faster. So Yormack and Benedict allows for a "leak" to happen a couple weeks before football season starts to get people talking about UConn.

What better way to get people to do something than by telling the, "No." Supposedly, the actual goal has been accomplished, which also happens to be a prereq to get to the long-term real goal.

Other interesting tidbits:
- My Austin HS football group was surprised at how much resistance there was to joining the B12 FROM THE UCONN FANBASE themselves. To them, it comes off as, "Hey, we're throwing you a life line and you don't want it? We have to drag you kicking and screaming as well?" And not just the fanbase, but the media and legislatures. That was really off-putting to them.

- There is a general belief that we aren't done with realignment. That there will be some total or partial collapse of the NCAA. It's reason #1 why Texas bolted for the SEC instead of being the King of the B12. The more money part was a side benefit. A side benefit in all of this latest "failed UConn to B12 run" is that there is more support overall in UConn joining the B12 among the B12 fanbases. Hearts and minds are changing.

- On the 6 (yes) and 2 (no) votes, my UT AD friend guarantees the following: Yes - Baylor, Houston, AZ, Cincy, WV, Kansas. No - BYU, Utah. This is assuming those were the eight that were polled. It could be others, but those are our six strongest "yes" and "no". He also believes TCU, UCF, Iowa St, Texas Tech, and Colorado would be "yes" as well. Even if OKST and KST were "no", they would follow the majority and want Yormack wanted.

So it seems like we had the votes now and last year before the PAC12 collapsed. Obvious question then, why isn't UConn in the B12? There's some other unknown, unreported reason. Pressing further, my AD friend said the 75% super majority requirement -- even though reported as such and part of the B12 by-laws -- is not entirely accurate. For something like expansion, they need/want 100%. It's not enough for BYU and Utah to be revenue neutral to put up UConn football. "99% of the time, it's about money. Not enough wheels were greased."

Lots of conjecture here. With people that are in the industry, but not directly involved with UConn of the B12. But thinking about it further, everything seems to track.

Reaction Score
For those interested in UConn into the ACC, because Boston College football is in great shape this year, the BC crowd probably wouldn't need to blackball us this time around. We aren't a threat. This may be a better time to lobby the ACC for membership. Syracuse may be sympathetic to UConn too. Our old supporters of the Tobacco Road schools still are probably hoping for us to join.

Reaction Score
For those interested in UConn into the ACC, because Boston College football is in great shape this year, the BC crowd probably wouldn't need to blackball us this time around. We aren't a threat. This may be a better time to lobby the ACC for membership. Syracuse may be sympathetic to UConn too. Our old supporters of the Tobacco Road schools still are probably hoping for us to join.
I understand why this sounds good but the ACC is stuck right now, yet they couldn't get those west coast teams in fast enough. That should tell you everything you need to know about how ESPN and it's members feel about adding us. The network runs that league. Big 12 is a totally different dynamic.

Reaction Score
I understand why this sounds good but the ACC is stuck right now, yet they couldn't get those west coast teams in fast enough. That should tell you everything you need to know about how ESPN and it's members feel about adding us. The network runs that league. Big 12 is a totally different dynamic.
Is the thought that ESPN wants to sink its own product? Are we due to find this out in February?

Reaction Score

I happened on this youtube video by the Gonzaga "Locked On" guy and he addresses three topics: UConn and the Big12, Zags' recruiting and the difficulty mid-majors have getting games with the P5 (he said P4 but we know what he means).
It was interesting to hear the guy doing "Locked On" for one of the more respected basketball programs and what he knows the Big12 courtship with Gonzaga and UConn last year and UConn this year.

He says last year it was a combo deal while this year it was UConn by itself. He took care to point out UConn is more desirable because of having a football program (even if it's not strong) but felt the outcomes were similar because of other issues.

I understood him to be saying it may all have come down to the Big12 Presidents wanting to add the best overall programs if they do expand and that they're likely wanting to wait on the ACC to fall apart so they can pick up Clemson, FSU, Miami, etc.

Sounds plausible.

Yormark is aggressive and knows if he adds UConn he gets perennial strength in the women's game and a powerhouse in the men's game right now and the league could own college basketball.

That said, other Big12 decision makers may believe the league can compete with the B1G and SEC if they add Clemson, FSU, Miami, etc for football and that is more important now and for the long term.

He may have accurately identified why UConn was pursued, seemingly honestly on Yormark's part, yet once again left at the alter.

I'm still hoping the B1G wakes up and realizes they're not doing well in any sport that matters and UConn being added for basketball (no matter how weak the football program is at this time) will give the league something to boast about while they figure out why the league has only 3 BCS National Championships while the SEC has 15, and the lowly ACC 5.

The Big 12? Two. Both years ago by teams (Texas 2005 and Oklahoma 2000) that are now in the SEC. So you could make that 17 for the SEC in the BCS era and none for the current makeup of the Big12. Makes them sound arrogant about making light of UConn football.............

Bottom line? If the Big12 comes calling again maybe we tell them make your offer, we'll wait while we polish the same number of football championship trophies as won by your whole league.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I happened on this youtube video by the Gonzaga "Locked On" guy and he addresses three topics: UConn and the Big12, Zags' recruiting and the difficulty mid-majors have getting games with the P5 (he said P4 but we know what he means).
It was interesting to hear the guy doing "Locked On" for one of the more respected basketball programs and what he knows the Big12 courtship with Gonzaga and UConn last year and UConn this year.

He says last year it was a combo deal while this year it was UConn by itself. He took care to point out UConn is more desirable because of having a football program (even if it's not strong) but felt the outcomes were similar because of other issues.

I understood him to be saying it may all have come down to the Big12 Presidents wanting to add the best overall programs if they do expand and that they're likely wanting to wait on the ACC to fall apart so they can pick up Clemson, FSU, Miami, etc.

Sounds plausible.

Yormark is aggressive and knows if he adds UConn he gets perennial strength in the women's game and a powerhouse in the men's game right now and the league could own college basketball.

That said, other Big12 decision makers may believe the league can compete with the B1G and SEC if they add Clemson, FSU, Miami, etc for football and that is more important now and for the long term.

He may have accurately identified why UConn was pursued, seemingly honestly on Yormark's part, yet once again left at the alter.

I'm still hoping the B1G wakes up and realizes they're not doing well in any sport that matters and UConn being added for basketball (no matter how weak the football program is at this time) will give the league something to boast about while they figure out why the league has only 3 BCS National Championships while the SEC has 15, and the lowly ACC 5.

The Big 12? Two. Both years ago by teams (Texas 2005 and Oklahoma 2000) that are now in the SEC. So you could make that 17 for the SEC in the BCS era and none for the current makeup of the Big12. Makes them sound arrogant about making light of UConn football.............

Bottom line? If the Big12 comes calling again maybe we tell them make your offer, we'll wait while we polish the same number of football championship trophies as won by your whole league.

I like the saltiness of this - versus a beggars can’t be choosers attitude. UConn brings a lot - and football WILL improve - even with no TV money, nowhere to go but up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom