UConn still the team to beat | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn still the team to beat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With all thats been going on win WCBB imo UConn is still the team to beat. UConn is loaded and they have 3 HS number 1 guards and a number 2 HS guard. There has been alot of fans upset we didnt get Cardoso. Hey it wouldve been great to have a 6'7 post player but its better to have what we have in the long run. If she came whoat wouldve happened with our other bigs???? We're loaded with bigs who can play and with our freshman and incoming class next season well I like where we are right now with depth and the spacing of bigs.

If you look at past UConn teams we won with great guard/ perimeter play for the most part. Some fans are abscessed with height. I will take Diana and Sue and Paige Azzi Christyn Nika and Evina in a minute over taller players. A couple of thoughts. Guards dont get in as much foul trouble as bigs. Bigs have a tendency to get into foul trouble more. Bigs dont score as much as good guards and perimeter players. Now there are exceptions. UConn is loaded for the next few seasons. So are SC and Stanford. With Paige Azzi and Caroline, there isnt a team in WCBB with a backcourt that comes close to them with the ability to score. UConn will put on a show this season. As good and as loaded as UConn is and the talent is off the charts as is the potential I dont think we can loose barring injuries.

There's been alot of complaining and frustration about height. Well we are 6'5 6'5 6'5 6'4. Now Liv imo will be a much improved scorer this season. Dorka will be another version of Edwards/Thor(thanks Milford Husky and we have Amari a freshman and Piath who will gain experience and both will see more minutes as the season moves into February. Then we've got the best backcourt in WCBB. Maybe I see things differently then some of you. UConn is really really really good and I dont think there is a team in WCBB that can beat them.

Now the argument will be well SC is 6'7 and 6'5 and Stanford will be 6'7 6'5 and they have a great incoming classes to. I have to agree theyre really good. Hey we beat SC last season with a team that was lead by underclassman. Now SC got Cardoso, Stanford got Betts and UConn got Fudd and company. Fudd has been said to be a generational player and she is. Paige is NPOY and NFOY. Its gonna be a show and both are great shooters scorers and unselfish players. BTW my cousin played against Paige in HS and played with Azzi in her backyard. My cousin Sara Scalia is a soph who plays for Minnesota and starts as a sophomore. She too is a great shooter and flew under the radar during the recruiting process. My cousins say Azzi is on a level like Maya Moore. Now think about this. We know who great Paige is and add Azzi and Caroline in the mix. In addition we are big inside with strength and depth. I remember watching Diana and how she lead her team against a very big Tenn team and we have 2 players in Paige and Azzi who are much like Diana. I have no worries. Yeah we may not win every game by 40 pts and maybe not every game by double digits but we're gonna win and we're gonna be in the FF again and again and again.
When you get to the tourney you need a 6’7” post player ala kara wothers. she was big and took up a lot of space in the lane and could make layups unlike some of our current players. Both men and women college players seem to be getting bigger and stronger each year. Even at 6’5” liv has trouble against the best posts. Next year you will need to contend with Cardosa and a loaded South Carolina team. The year after its Betts and Brink at Stanford plus Cardosa and team at South Carolin. While UConn has some great recruits coming in this year and next and a terrific transfer in Dorka, they are still in that 6’2” to 6’4” mold. They are basically giving up 3 to 5 inches. If we are to win another championship we need a bigger post presence.

Reaction Score
Why do you think with AE - for what she showed as a frosh and for what Jorka showed in a very good B1G conference, that UCONN does not have a post game?

AE played well nothing to make a big splash about. I thought she show flashes, but like I said it was much to sway me to a point to say post play was consistently good. Ono had some terrible games. Dorka did well and maybe she will give more consistency to the post. But that still has to be proven on the court in a Uconn uniform. I would say the same for SC Johnson and Rivers on paper should upgrade the backcourt for SC, but that isn't proven at this point so until results are show its a question mark. Stanford has shown better balance with the proven players they have coming back.

Reaction Score
AE played well nothing to make a big splash about. I thought she show flashes, but like I said it was much to sway me to a point to say post play was consistently good. Ono had some terrible games. Dorka did well and maybe she will give more consistency to the post. But that still has to be proven on the court in a Uconn uniform. I would say the same for SC Johnson and Rivers on paper should upgrade the backcourt for SC, but that isn't proven at this point so until results are show its a question mark. Stanford has shown better balance with the proven players they have coming back.

I'm not quite certain what you are saying about AE and Jorka. So please don't take offense. I'm asking--

You are saying AE didn't play very well overall? And you don't expect her to improve much either to give you any confidence that UCONN will have a post game? ?
And you are saying you have little expectation for Jorka?

Yet many have high expectation for Carodso? Sure Cardoso is better but Jorka being all B1G - even though the B1G showed it was a very good conference - you have little to no expectation for her?

So for you and anyone that agrees with you- I am just asking this -- we slam UCONN for being in the Big East. Then when we get a very good performer from the P5 conference in which that conference showed itself well- but yet we can't make assumptions that that player will be good?

Reaction Score
Sure my question to Dee - I'll put to you-- Dee said Azzi could be the best on the UCONN Team but even with that seemed to imply that SC was clear-cut number 1 (If I misconstrued that Dee I'm sorry - please let me know. Though it's why many of my comments to Dee were questions albeit leading ones. Though questions applicable to what I thought Dee meant.)

I said if Dee felt that Azzi was the best on UCONN it would mean Azzi and Paige would be the best 2 players on the floor. In italics and what I underline below I specifically asked if Dee thought that if one of the other frosh from SC could be top 5 Nationally top 5. At that point I can probably understand a confident view that SC would be the top program (as long as the gap between 1vs 5 was not large).

So are you saying that if Dee's post is correct that Azzi becomes the best player on UCONN (barring injury) that you fully expect Rivers to be top 5 Notionally? If not, then your post to me is completely irrelevant because I was addressing Dee's POV that EVEN IF Azzi is (i.e. better than Paige.) is better than Paige that SC would still be so clear number 1. So I asked if any frosh would be top 5 Nationally. My questions and reply was specific to Dee's prior post.

Or is it that Raven or one of their other frosh is just as good as Paige and Azzi that you'd call one of the frosh a top 5 National player?
I’m not sure I follow your question but I will answer it to the best of my ability. Azzi Fudd, in my opinion, has the ability to be a generational talent because of her fundamentally sound game and her ability to make almost every shot she takes. With that being said, I believe she has the ability to be the best or second best(after Paige) on the UConn squad. Now will that happen? There’s no way to know that until she is on the floor in a uniform.

Now, there is a where I’m a little confused with your question. How does what I said above mean that she will be better than Rivers or Johnson(S. Carolina prospects?)— I don’t know how that became a part of the discussion of what I mentioned above or implies that the aforementioned players are better. But what I will say is that, they are highly ranked players in their class and among the best in the top 5 of that particular class, however they are not generational talents like Paige, Azzi, Boston. I don’t know how much they’ll even play considering what’s in front of them in the guards/wings spots at South Carolina until they are in Uniform.

Reaction Score
With regard to height, arguably the best women's college basketball team ever was the 2001-2002 UCONN team of Bird, Taurasi, Cash, Williams, and Jones. Their heights were 5'9", 6'1", 6'2", 6'2", and 6'2". Just sayin'.
But Liv has not been a Tamika, a Swin or a Jones, and especially not in big games, like the last one where she was 0-7. The Oklahoma team we beat in the Finals in 2002 had one 6'3'' player although the Tennessee team we beat in the semis had two 6'5" players. I don't think it is height, which is still an important factor, as much as it is strength, athleticism and power. Dorka is a big addition in that regard and she is an experienced player as well. We didn't lose the Arizona game underneath the basket, we lost it everywhere. The fact that we will have 3 seniors next year starting, yes I am assuming Evina, CW and Liv will start, is a fact not to be underestimated.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
With regard to height, arguably the best women's college basketball team ever was the 2001-2002 UCONN team of Bird, Taurasi, Cash, Williams, and Jones. Their heights were 5'9", 6'1", 6'2", 6'2", and 6'2". Just sayin'.
Remind me, who was the best center they had to compete against? How tall was she? How did they do against the center from Notre Dame?

Reaction Score
I'm not quite certain what you are saying about AE and Jorka. So please don't take offense. I'm asking--

You are saying AE didn't play very well overall? And you don't expect her to improve much either to give you any confidence that UCONN will have a post game? ?

Yet many have high expectation for Carodso? Sure Cardoso is better but Jorka being all B1G - even though the B1G showed it was a very good conference - you have little to no expectation for her?

So for you and anyone that agrees with you- I am just asking this -- we slam UCONN for being in the Big East. Then when we get a very good performer from the P5 conference in which that conference showed itself well- but yet we can't make assumptions that that player will be good?
Jorka played well but to assume that the same numbers will translate over to Uconn is unknown and sometimes those numbers do not. Two different systems and the focus of the offense may put her way down in the pecking order. My question is will she fill the need for Uconn? We do not know that. It's all speculation. I have no clue how Cardoso will work, but that isn't a limitation of SC they already have proven good and consistent interior play,. You have to question if Johnson and Rivers will bring consistency and depth to the backcourt. Both questions are unknown. Maybe AE steps up big this season. Last season she showed flashes. Maybe she and jorka can bring some consistency to the post play. Right now everyone is speculating that they will. Ono doesn't seem to be the answer and was a liability moreso at times last year.

Reaction Score

First of all, Dorka is good and if anyone watched any film of her you would see that she is strong and has versatility including a better 3 point shot than Liv.

Second, AE had a great freshman year but it was freshman year and she will only get better and stronger and we just have to wait to see the extent of any improvement. Another year can mean a lot for both power and speed.

Third, this whole thread has reminded me of the wistful longing for something or somebody lost. It or they is always better in memory. Is Cardoso good? Yes. Is she great? No, not yet anyway. Even up right now, I take Dorka. Better team player above all else and a UCONN type player. Finally, you can try to double Paige or Azzi but that leaves the other one open. So would you want a better shooter than Paige on the court with her at key times? Azzi is. Barring injury or residuals, she comes in as the best high school girls shooter I have ever seen. Ducharme is a great shooter too but I fret over her release against bigger, faster stronger defenders.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure I follow your question but I will answer it to the best of my ability. Azzi Fudd, in my opinion, has the ability to be a generational talent because of her fundamentally sound game and her ability to make almost every shot she takes. With that being said, I believe she has the ability to be the best or second best(after Paige) on the UConn squad. Now will that happen? There’s no way to know that until she is on the floor in a uniform.

Now, there is a where I’m a little confused with your question. How does what I said above mean that she will be better than Rivers or Johnson(S. Carolina prospects?)— I don’t know how that became a part of the discussion of what I mentioned above or implies that the aforementioned players are better. But what I will say is that, they are highly ranked players in their class and among the best in the top 5 of that particular class, however they are not generational talents like Paige, Azzi, Boston. I don’t know how much they’ll even play considering what’s in front of them in the guards/wings spots at South Carolina until they are in Uniform.

Please don't take this as a slam. Not even an iota. I love your posts on here. And no way even if we wind up disagreeing no way am I slamming. I'm not going to get worked up over pre-season 6 months away from games. :) And if I'm wrong with you or anyone else here lately that's fine too. I've been wrong 1,000 times before. :) I enjoy the discussion.

If Paige is number 1 and you are acknowledging that she is generational, then if this upcoming season Azzi becomes the number 1,- then can't we assume for pre-season discussion purposes, that Paige and Azzi are better than all of the SC players including all the freshmen?

I only brought-up the SC frosh in case you felt for example that if Raven or Rivers was generational too.

If they are not generational and Azzi and Paige are playing like they are generational, then how is it that SC is undoubtedly stronger? That's what I was confused on from your posts. We'd have two generational players (when you said if Azzi was the best on the team), and a lot of support for them too. Give "generational" players support- you have manufactured a wild beast.

Reaction Score
First of all, Dorka is good and if anyone watched any film of her you would see that she is strong and has versatility including a better 3 point shot than Liv.

Second, AE had a great freshman year but it was freshman year and she will only get better and stronger and we just have to wait to see the extent of any improvement. Another year can mean a lot for both power and speed.

Third, this whole thread has reminded me of the wistful longing for something or somebody lost. It or they is always better in memory. Is Cardoso good? Yes. Is she great? No, not yet anyway. Even up right now, I take Dorka. Better team player above all else and a UCONN type player. Finally, you can try to double Paige or Azzi but that leaves the other one open. So would you want a better shooter than Paige on the court with her at key times? Azzi is. Barring injury or residuals, she comes in as the best high school girls shooter I have ever seen. Ducharme is a great shooter too but I fret over her release against bigger, faster stronger defenders.

I agree with you on some points. Ive been saying who knows who is going to be better Dorka or Cardoso. I think Cardoso doesn't have to be that good next year because you have Boston and some solid post players. I think for Uconn to be a really great team Dorka has to be much better than Ono was in big games. This is the question mark. We will see once she hits the court.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Remind me, who was the best center they had to compete against? How tall was she? How did they do against the center from Notre Dame?
Jane Appel from Stanford, and oh yea, some girl from Baylor named Giner.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Dorka Dorka Dorka

Reaction Score
Jorka played well but to assume that the same numbers will translate over to Uconn is unknown and sometimes those numbers do not. Two different systems and the focus of the offense may put her way down in the pecking order. My question is will she fill the need for Uconn? We do not know that. It's all speculation. I have no clue how Cardoso will work, but that isn't a limitation of SC they already have proven good and consistent interior play,. You have to question if Johnson and Rivers will bring consistency and depth to the backcourt. Both questions are unknown. Maybe AE steps up big this season. Last season she showed flashes. Maybe she and jorka can bring some consistency to the post play. Right now everyone is speculating that they will. Ono doesn't seem to be the answer and was a liability moreso at times last year.

But it doesn't have to be "the same." And she is is going to have a lot less attention paid to her.

I'll just say we can agree to disagree. I think without question she can and will fill a need for UCONN regardless of the pecking order. I fully expect her to be a 4-6th option. I cannot assume a title. But I will assume a definite low post game though if SC goes twin towers - can't have a conventional low post game.

Having Paige as the number 1 player in wcbb, and having Azzi as projected to be the shooter she is- and from what I've seen a little on tape and read about Dorka and what I've seen from AE - I fully expect a low post game. But the low post game is not as great as the perimeter game. The perimeter game is the strength vs the elite teams. .

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The best center was Chantelle Anderson, 6-6, Vandy. 2x AP, USBWA, and Kodak ALL-American, 3x Naismith POY finalist, ESPN 2002 Center of the Year

Others on the schedule that season:
Candace Sutton, 6-6; Jenni Laaksonen, 6-3, North Carolina
LaChina Robinson, Wake Forest, 6-4
Ayana Walker, 6-3 AP All American HM; Takeisha Lewis, 6-2; Cheryl Ford, 6-3, AP All American HM, LA Tech
Michelle Snow, 6-5, Tennessee (twice)
Amanda Barksdale, 6-3, Notre Dame
Kim Mackie, 6-3, Boston College (twice)

Since the team was 39-0, I’m guessing they did pretty well against the big girls

Reaction Score
JimR-I’m not looking to the next two or three years. I’m looking at next year. I’d rather have Dorka than Cardoso. Oh and BTW, how many championships did Griner win? What’s her height again? Just saying.........
I would agree??

Reaction Score

My question is this: when is Boston going to live up to the “generational talent” label that people have been attaching to her since she was in high school. Clearly she has not lived up to it yet. Maybe next year?

W

wolfe613

until Fudd plays the word "generational" should not even be considered, that term gets used way too much now as if every year that happens.

Reaction Score
My question is this: when is Boston going to live up to the “generational talent” label that people have been attaching to her since she was in high school. Clearly she has not lived up to it yet. Maybe next year?
Already has. I don’t know where you been living.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The answer is your observation is erroneous AKA WAY OFF. Absolutely NOBODY was touting Boston as a "generational talent" when she was in high school. She never even achieved #1 in the class. NONE of the South Carolina fans that post here EVER described her as such. One BY person @BostonBay use that term to describe Boston probably because he was salty about her going to South Carolina. Boston has achieved being the best post player in the Country and AA status as a sophomore. There is no "wait till next year" for her -She is actually getting it done!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
until Fudd plays the word "generational" should not even be considered, that term gets used way too much now as if every year that happens.
Well adjust your eyes and ears if you feel it’s been used too much, I can’t help you with that. Fudd is a generational talent, if she doesn’t live up to it then so be it, but for right now my opinion stands

W

wolfe613

Well adjust your eyes and ears if you feel it’s been used too much, I can’t help you with that. Fudd is a generational talent, if she doesn’t live up to it then so be it, but for right now my opinion stands
I won't jump to conclusions like that until she plays in college, I see many hs players that are labeled great and then flame out in College and mostly are due to believing their own hype or maybe the pressure got to them hearing so much what they were going to be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom