UConn still the team to beat | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn still the team to beat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wish tony would stop being such a Debbie Downer. Stealing someone else's line: We're Doomed!

Reaction Score
Cardoso would have made UConn a better team. She makes S.C. a better team.

Based on the results of the 2021 FF as well as recruiting and transfers, S.C. is the "team to beat" heading into next season,
imo, albeit not by a wide margin.

It's been a few years since UConn was "the team to beat". We certainly weren't that last year.

We were better than SC last year. UCONN beat SC. They couldn't handle Paige. If they have a counter to Fudd - if Fudd isn't as good as expected - maybe they are because overall maybe they are better as you suggest. But if Fudd is near Paige and Raven isn't how does Cardoso help them defend the two premiere perimeter players?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Tony

It would have nice to have 6'7", yes...but it would have also dislocated expectations of the capable bigs we now have (including freshman) That group may very well provide enough height to excel.

Remember how Morgan Tuck used to manhandle (strange choice of words) much bigger opponents on "D"...An inch or two isn't going to make that much difference.

I'm perfectly satisfied with the potential for unstoppable outside shooting that this team
enjoys + plenty of muscle inside.

The concern shown by some about a player yet to show Griner type propensity is out of all
proportion to reality.

We'll be more than fine.
An inch or two isn't going to make a difference-when you are Morgan Tuck. To paraphrase Rick Pitino "Morgan Tuck is not coming through the door". If you think we have a player in the front court capable of playing even close to Morgan Tuck ability please peep me to to her because I haven't seen it.
What is mostly out of proportion to reality is you invoking Griner's name. Reality is that South Carolina added a terrific 6'7" post player to go along with the best post player in all of WCBB.

Reaction Score
Yeah that game at South Carolina next season is gonna be tough. Took everything Paige had plus OT to win in Storrs this past season. South Carolina is becoming the new top program. Dawn is one heck of a recruiter.

UCONN won the game. Why should SC get any credit for having no answer how to stop Paige? They just had to stop 1 player and they couldn't do it.

So in 19-20 Dawn wants to claim a title for a team that didn't go through the NCAA's. And now this year after losing to UCONN - we're supposed to claim undoubtedly that SC is better - even though they lost? They lost the game. Losing doesn't count? They've won 1 title about 4-5 years. So now they are the top program or the foreseeable future?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Also we don’t exactly know how freshmen will play (Azzi, Caroline) before they play a game. Although I do expect Azzi to be the best or second best player on team. There are a still players in front of them and with Evina returning we don’t know how minutes will be distributed.
If Azzi is the best or second best player on the team next season, UConn will surely be the best team in all of WBB. Why?? Because I believe Evina, Williams, Paige, ONO and Edwards will be much improved. So in order to be the player you said she will be Fudd will have to be at least as good as Paige was this past season. That is not including Nika who should be playing at a much higher level also.

Reaction Score
If Azzi is the best or second best player on the team next season, UConn will surely be the best team in all of WBB. Why?? Because I believe Evina, Williams, Paige, ONO and Edwards will be much improved. So in order to be the player you said she will be Fudd will have to be at least as good as Paige was this past season. That is not including Nika who should be playing at a much higher level also.
I forgot about Nika, that’s another guard who will be in front of them on the seniority rotation. There’s also Poffenbarger who does the same thing as Caroline. Minutes will be interesting this upcoming season. I’m not used to UConn having so much talent. For past several years, Geno only plays 6/7 players all year. Wonder if that changes.

Reaction Score
Understandable, since the Huskies had to rely so much on a trio of freshmen, a couple of inconsistent juniors, and another junior struggling to overcome injuries. That the team was able to perform at a high level for most of the year was a pleasant surprise to me.
Preach!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yeah that game at South Carolina next season is gonna be tough. Took everything Paige had plus OT to win in Storrs this past season. South Carolina is becoming the new top program. Dawn is one heck of a recruiter.
Whenever that game is played this coming season, the two programs should be ranked 1-2. I completely agree with Huskiemaniac: "Cardoso would have made UConn a better team. She makes S.C. a better team" However, I have no doubt that UConn will prevail this year in making it to the championship game, and hoisting the trophy.

I didn't think last year was UConn's year. They were too young and inexperienced. That won't be the case THIS year. I believe THIS is their year!! On you Huskys.

This was us last year:
1619987924008.png

This is us next season:
1619988003421.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jumpstart-Luckily for us Dorka committed to UConn. Watching clips, I like Dorka’s game much better.

Reaction Score
I forgot about Nika, that’s another guard who will be in front of them on the seniority rotation. There’s also Poffenbarger who does the same thing as Caroline. Minutes will be interesting this upcoming season. I’m not used to UConn having so much talent. For past several years, Geno only plays 6/7 players all year. Wonder if that changes.

I don't understand your pov at all. Below is your quote in bold. If Azzi is best and she is better than Paige who was the best player in WCBB - then it would mean UCONN has the 2 best players in WCBB. CWill and Evina are WNBA players. At Liv's very worst at least she's a very good defender. And AE is a better player than Liv. So with that - and even though Jorka who was all B1G in an apparently very good conference, are you disqualifying her? Otherwise UCONN has in the post very good player in AE and Jorka and very good defender in Liv. With the 2 best player's in WCBB, that's not enough to say that maybe they are at least even? SC didn't win last year either.

Or is it that Raven or one of their other frosh is just as good as Paige and Azzi that you'd call one of the frosh a top 5 National player?

Otherwise how can it be said undoubtedly SC is better? Is it that fans of UCONN that think SC is better because they believe that Boston is better than Bueckers? And even if Azzi is better than Bueckers or just as good-- are they thinking that Cardoso is no-doubt better than Azzi?

Although I do expect Azzi to be the best or second best player on team.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Or is it that Raven or one of their other frosh is just as good as Paige and Azzi that you'd call one of the frosh a top 5 National player?

Otherwise how can it be said undoubtedly SC is better? Is it that fans of UCONN that think SC is better because they believe that Boston is better than Bueckers? And even if Azzi is better than Bueckers or just as good-- are they thinking that Cardoso is no-doubt better than Azzi?

SC also has Saniya Rivers who some believe a better prospect than Azzi.

Reaction Score
I don't understand your pov at all. Below is your quote in bold. If Azzi is best and she is better than Paige who was the best player in WCBB - then it would mean UCONN has the 2 best players in WCBB. CWill and Evina are WNBA players. At Liv's very worst at least she's a very good defender. And AE is a better player than Liv. So with that - and even though Jorka who was all B1G in an apparently very good conference, are you disqualifying her? Otherwise UCONN has in the post very good player in AE and Jorka and very good defender in Liv. With the 2 best player's in WCBB, that's not enough to say that maybe they are at least even? SC didn't win last year either.

You don’t understand because you’re putting words in my mouth. Maybe you believe those things because nowhere did I mention SC or either of it’s players and say there were better.

Reaction Score
SC & Stanford will be ranked ahead of UConn. They should be. Both teams have much better defenses & can score "easier" by using their defense to generate offense. UConn again will have to rely on their perimeter outside shooting to score - not easy to do in the FF. Again, they are not balanced. Grabbing Cardosa would have given them more balance - scoring easy buckets down low & forcing TOs on fast breaks. Instead, she tipped the scale heavily in SC's favor. I can see UConn having to beat Stanford in the semis & SC in the Finals next year - low odds.

Reaction Score
I have no doubt that we will get to another FF, this time from the Bridgeport Regional. It's the National Semis that I always worry about and this year will be no different.

Clearly, both UCONN and SC improved themselves under the basket with their respective new transfers. We will be able to answer many questions in the regular season but at the end of the day, it will be whether we play the same way we have played the last few years in the Semis or with the eye of the tiger.

No matter what happens, I believe this coming year will grow the sport more so than any recent year. People will want to see these great players and these very, very good teams play against each other. Maybe as an unintended consequence, the new transfer portal will actually draw more attention to the women's game because, despite the attempted mollifications of the protagonists of this new rule, the top tier of the game will significantly improve at the expense of those not there, who now have virtually no future chance of ever getting there themselves.

W

wolfe613

to quote Geno after one of the Uconn losses "It's ok for Uconn to have a bad game and for SC to have a great game, it's allowed to happen" It's ok that if South Carolina or Stanford are the favorite, it's not the end of the world. They both have earned the right this yr

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
UConn is probably one of three teams to beat. The other two are South Carolina and Stanford.

SC - with Cardoso, the are an improved team. Better than UConn - not yet. Dawn will have a big problem with playing Cardoso and Boston at the same time. Uonn leads the series 8 - 1.

Stanford - better and more versatile team than SC. Very similar to UConn. History - UConn leads the series 11 - 7.

So let the season begin.

Reaction Score
SC & Stanford will be ranked ahead of UConn. They should be. Both teams have much better defenses & can score "easier" by using their defense to generate offense. UConn again will have to rely on their perimeter outside shooting to score - not easy to do in the FF. Again, they are not balanced. Grabbing Cardosa would have given them more balance - scoring easy buckets down low & forcing TOs on fast breaks. Instead, she tipped the scale heavily in SC's favor. I can see UConn having to beat Stanford in the semis & SC in the Finals next year - low odds.

I don't think you will get much agreement in this board. I actually think Stanford may be the most balanced team. I think both Uconn and SC have some questionable areas. Uconn the consistent post play hasn't always been there. For SC outside shooting hasn't been consistent. For me it's 1. Stanford 2. SC 3. Uconn.

Reaction Score
Before Azzi committed to UConn everyone was calling her the female Jordan and as soon she commits everyone starts talking as if she’s just an average player

Major knee surgery is a big thing. Some players never get the confidence in there body after an injury. Hopefully she comes back strong as ever. I think one big thing she may struggle with in the beginning is the speed of the game being out for this long plus the restrictions of the pandemic,I think she may have some cobwebs to shake off.

Reaction Score
Interesting viewpoints and back and forth but CWBB has certainly matured to the point where the “best team” is far from assured of anything in a one and done national tournament. Arizona certainly showed that this year.

Reaction Score
SC also has Saniya Rivers who some believe a better prospect than Azzi.

Sure my question to Dee - I'll put to you-- Dee said Azzi could be the best on the UCONN Team but even with that seemed to imply that SC was clear-cut number 1 (If I misconstrued that Dee I'm sorry - please let me know. Though it's why many of my comments to Dee were questions albeit leading ones. Though questions applicable to what I thought Dee meant.)

I said if Dee felt that Azzi was the best on UCONN it would mean Azzi and Paige would be the best 2 players on the floor. In italics and what I underline below I specifically asked if Dee thought that if one of the other frosh from SC could be top 5 Nationally top 5. At that point I can probably understand a confident view that SC would be the top program (as long as the gap between 1vs 5 was not large).

So are you saying that if Dee's post is correct that Azzi becomes the best player on UCONN (barring injury) that you fully expect Rivers to be top 5 Notionally? If not, then your post to me is completely irrelevant because I was addressing Dee's POV that EVEN IF Azzi is (i.e. better than Paige.) is better than Paige that SC would still be so clear number 1. So I asked if any frosh would be top 5 Nationally. My questions and reply was specific to Dee's prior post.

Reaction Score
I don't think you will get much agreement in this board. I actually think Stanford may be the most balanced team. I think both Uconn and SC have some questionable areas. Uconn the consistent post play hasn't always been there. For SC outside shooting hasn't been consistent. For me it's 1. Stanford 2. SC 3. Uconn.

Why do you think with AE - for what she showed as a frosh and for what Jorka showed in a very good B1G conference, that UCONN does not have a post game?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Sure my question to Dee - I'll put to you-- Dee said Azzi could be the best on the UCONN Team but even with that seemed to imply that SC was clear-cut number 1 (If I misconstrued that Dee I'm sorry - please let me know. Though it's why many of my comments to Dee were questions albeit leading ones. Though questions applicable to what I thought Dee meant.)

I said if Dee felt that Azzi was the best on UCONN it would mean Azzi and Paige would be the best 2 players on the floor. In italics and what I underline below I specifically asked if Dee thought that if one of the other frosh from SC could be top 5 Nationally top 5. At that point I can probably understand a confident view that SC would be the top program (as long as the gap between 1vs 5 was not large).

So are you saying that if Dee's post is correct that Azzi becomes the best player on UCONN (barring injury) that you fully expect Rivers to be top 5 Notionally? If not, then your post to me is completely irrelevant because I was addressing Dee's POV that EVEN IF Azzi is (i.e. better than Paige.) is better than Paige that SC would still be so clear number 1. So I asked if any frosh would be top 5 Nationally. My questions and reply was specific to Dee's prior post.

I believe Paige is the better of the two. While I think Azzi has a chance to be great at some point, maybe soon, I wanna see how close to 100% she is when she arrives. The question about Azzi is the same as it was about Paige and about other great prospects: when will they become impactful?

But Rivers can't be left out of the equation anymore than Fudd can with the same question pending.

Reaction Score
The most puzzling thing about this whole Cardosa/o situation is the assumption by most on this board that it is some kind of failure on Geno’s part that she is not now a Husky. As I recall, most here believed that she was actively wanting to come to UConn. If that is/was true, then it follows that she was turned down (or not offered). Yet no one seems to want to address that possibility. Instead, it is “a disaster”, a failure on Geno’s part, “a game changer” ! It seems very likely to me that she either was not offered or ( if she was approached) that she was not (for unknown reasons) open to the opportunity that was presented to her. Either way, it has probably worked out best for all involved. I, for one, think that this coming season is the beginning of another long (2-5 seasons) period of dominance by UConn! While it is true there are two other monster teams and 2-4 very good teams out there, I am confident that, five years from now we will not be looking at 11 championships. Imo, we have struggled (UConn standards) since our last true Alpha (Stewart) left. We now have (at least one, possibly more) another true Alpha surrounded by the right mix of other players and I believe we will see the results of that beginning next season.

Reaction Score
With regard to height, arguably the best women's college basketball team ever was the 2001-2002 UCONN team of Bird, Taurasi, Cash, Williams, and Jones. Their heights were 5'9", 6'1", 6'2", 6'2", and 6'2". Just sayin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom