UConn still the team to beat | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn still the team to beat

Status
Not open for further replies.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
When you get to the tourney you need a 6’7” post player ala kara wothers. she was big and took up a lot of space in the lane and could make layups unlike some of our current players. Both men and women college players seem to be getting bigger and stronger each year. Even at 6’5” liv has trouble against the best posts. Next year you will need to contend with Cardosa and a loaded South Carolina team. The year after its Betts and Brink at Stanford plus Cardosa and team at South Carolin. While UConn has some great recruits coming in this year and next and a terrific transfer in Dorka, they are still in that 6’2” to 6’4” mold. They are basically giving up 3 to 5 inches. If we are to win another championship we need a bigger post presence.
No, that is not true. UConn needs a better post presence.

Reaction Score
I won't jump to conclusions like that until she plays in college, I see many hs players that are labeled great and then flame out in College and mostly are due to believing their own hype or maybe the pressure got to them hearing so much what they were going to be
I agree. However, there are players that can play across periods of time and sustain a high level of play regardless of age. That’s what I consider generational talent. You can see that about them before they get to college. There’s great, legendary, then there’s supernova. You can just tell the difference. Moore, Parker, Paige, Azzi, Taurasi, Stewart, Griner, Delle Donne, Wilson...and more(please don’t tell me who I didn’t list)—she won the Gatorade NPOY as a SOPHOMORE. Do you know how many good juniors and seniors she beat out for that award in that year?

Reaction Score
Already has. I don’t know where you been living.
Breanna Stewart wants to know why the bar for a “generational talent” has been lowered so much. She’s noticed that all you have to do now is average double figures in Pts. and Reb. for a very good team and you’re in.

Reaction Score
The answer is your observation is erroneous AKA WAY OFF. Absolutely NOBODY was touting Boston as a "generational talent" when she was in high school. She never even achieved #1 in the class. NONE of the South Carolina fans that post here EVER described her as such. One BY person @BostonBay use that term to describe Boston probably because he was salty about her going to South Carolina. Boston has achieved being the best post player in the Country and AA status as a sophomore. There is no "wait till next year" for her -She is actually getting it done!

This may be true but it really doesn't match the tone of Cuango's comments imo. Paige is a generational talent yet you still have media sources spouting Boston is better. I don't think it is then unreasonable to assume some are putting Boston as "generational" even if we can't find a specific post here on the BY. And imo that was Cuango's point.

I guess he said High school and that's correct Boston was not thought of as a generational in H/S as he mentioned/implies whatever. SO sure. But to take the next step when he asks the question "what year will she be" - there are opinions that Boston is better right now as of this moment. Faulty that they may be. :)

What makes this fun is that I'm sure there are many boneyarders here that favor the low post game. If they favor the low post game I'm sure there would be some out there that outwardly or inwardly believe Boston is better. To those that do, they would believe Boston is "generational" wouldn't they? :)

And we know some posters on here love love low post basketball over perimeter hoop. :)

Reaction Score
Breanna Stewart wants to know why the bar for a “generational talent” has been lowered so much. She’s noticed that all you have to do now is average double figures in Pts. and Reb. for a very good team and you’re in.
Had Boston been playing for UConn you all the other Boston haters would be singing a different tune and that tune would probably be as loud and obnoxious as I think opera is

Reaction Score
You forget Britney Griner her freshman year. When we faced them in the tournament, Tina ran Britney to death. She even asked Kim if she could come out of the game. Kim said no; we need you in there. Dorka is the better player than Cardoso by a lot. She can shoot the three, the two, she can drive to the basket, she rebounds and plays D. Azzi, Caroline, Amari and Saylor will all contribute to UConn. Geno has to give them a chance and not get frustrated to where he's not going to play them. Going undefeated is almost impossible. Time to start working on depth, so UConn can run other teams off the court.

Reaction Score
Had Boston been playing for UConn you all the other Boston haters would be singing a different tune and that tune would probably be as loud and obnoxious as I think opera is

Many would be on the hate club if Boston didn't win a championship! Right? :) :):)

Reaction Score
You should contact ESPN about starting a new yearly award. They could call it the Top Ten New Generational Players. But to get more people involved a player can only win it once to be more inclusionary.

Reaction Score
You should contact ESPN about starting a new yearly award. They could call it the Top Ten New Generational Players. But to get more people involved a player can only win it once to be more inclusionary.
You should stop hating and accept that great players can play for other teams. Hating is not good for the heart.

Reaction Score
You should stop hating and accept that great players can play for other teams. Hating is not good for the heart.
I can see that you’re covering for the fact that you didn’t even understand what I wrote. Sorry it went right over your head.

Reaction Score
Are you sure that you're really talking about yourself and not Stewart?

Reaction Score
I can see that you’re covering for the fact that you didn’t even understand what I wrote. Sorry it went right over your head.
Have a good night. Pray about it.

Reaction Score
An inch or two isn't going to make a difference-when you are Morgan Tuck. To paraphrase Rick Pitino "Morgan Tuck is not coming through the door". If you think we have a player in the front court capable of playing even close to Morgan Tuck ability please peep me to to her because I haven't seen it.
What is mostly out of proportion to reality is you invoking Griner's name. Reality is that South Carolina added a terrific 6'7" post player to go along with the best post player in all of WCBB.
I guess I just don’t understand the pedestal that people keep putting these two players (especially Boston) on. Boston’s career stats are 13 ppg, 10 rbds, 1 assts while shooting 24% on threes.That is over her first two seasons. Cardoso averaged 13, 8, and 1 while shooting (and missing) one three in her only season. Furthermore, Boston’s shooting percentage went from .608 last year to .485 this past season. Now clearly she is a good post player but I just don’t see the “generational” player that so many are raving about. Perhaps I’m missing something, but I just think it’s ludicrous that she (Boston) was rated higher than Paige. Nalyssa either, for that matter, though she imo is closer to Paige than Boston. Of course, the list was from ESPN, not exactly known for objectivity. As for Cardoso, I certainly would agree that she has a lot of potential and is perhaps terrific, but I doubt that many coaches would say more so than Azzi and certainly not more than Paige, who has already banked a far superior season. I’m sincerely puzzled about this so if anyone out there can explain why Boston is “generational” I’m all ears. I mean, Caitlin Clark blew Boston out of the water statistically and produced a freshman season for the ages and is two places behind her! ESPN is a joke and is hemorrhaging credibility daily!

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Late to this party, but might as well add my two cents worth... :)

Look, with regards to Cardoso Camillia possibly making UConn a better team next year if she came to UConn, apparently, Geno and his staff didn't think so and I agree with them totally. The Transfer we currently have gives us way more options, which is absolutely better for our style of play.

Boston is a good player at her position, But I have been saying now for years that she has under-achieved in my opinion, based solely on her numbers. just not that impressive to me, I know many have a different opinion but oh well, I'm sticking to my assessment. One of the preseason player of the year candidates going in an un-injured to the best of my knowledge ended up being average at best which opened the door for two freshmen to contend for player of the year honors..

If Geno doesn't win next year with not one but two "Generational PLayers" on his team when none of the other teams have a single generational player on theirs, plus the envious collection of talented players to accompany those two, he should be fired for goodness sake... :) What else does the best coach to play the sport need to win it all? UCONN has to be favored, anything else just doesn't make sense. NO disrespect to the other teams but not winning the NC next year would be a huge disappointment to the program, me and most likely Geno himself..

Reaction Score
The most puzzling thing about this whole Cardosa/o situation is the assumption by most on this board that it is some kind of failure on Geno’s part that she is not now a Husky. As I recall, most here believed that she was actively wanting to come to UConn. If that is/was true, then it follows that she was turned down (or not offered). Yet no one seems to want to address that possibility. Instead, it is “a disaster”, a failure on Geno’s part, “a game changer” ! It seems very likely to me that she either was not offered or ( if she was approached) that she was not (for unknown reasons) open to the opportunity that was presented to her. Either way, it has probably worked out best for all involved. I, for one, think that this coming season is the beginning of another long (2-5 seasons) period of dominance by UConn! While it is true there are two other monster teams and 2-4 very good teams out there, I am confident that, five years from now we will not be looking at 11 championships. Imo, we have struggled (UConn standards) since our last true Alpha (Stewart) left. We now have (at least one, possibly more) another true Alpha surrounded by the right mix of other players and I believe we will see the results of that beginning next season.
I'm sincerely curious. Why is the possibility that Cardoso simply chose South Carolina over UConn such a difficult aspect to consider? It seems as tho that option is not even allowed to be considered within the realm of possibility.

Reaction Score
Remember when Dee was a freshman we lost in the final four and........the next three years we won the National Championship . I have a good feeling about the next three years. Can’t wait until November to see all the gals play in person! 6 months snd counting down...........!!

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
My question is this: when is Boston going to live up to the “generational talent” label that people have been attaching to her since she was in high school. Clearly she has not lived up to it yet. Maybe next year?
I think Dawn is the problem here, trying to put her two guards in the spotlight. Boston is not generational, but can be dominating if used right.

Reaction Score
No slight intended to anyone, but doesn't "generational" imply that there is only 1 per generation (4 years?). We don't talk about a herd of GOATs (maybe we should), I don't see why we talk about 6 or 8 "generational" players.

Reaction Score
Late to this party, but might as well add my two cents worth... :)

Look, with regards to Cardoso Camillia possibly making UConn a better team next year if she came to UConn, apparently, Geno and his staff didn't think so and I agree with them totally.
Honest question-how did you reach the conclusion that the staff wasn't interested?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I guess I just don’t understand the pedestal that people keep putting these two players (especially Boston) on. Boston’s career stats are 13 ppg, 10 rbds, 1 assts while shooting 24% on threes.That is over her first two seasons. Cardoso averaged 13, 8, and 1 while shooting (and missing) one three in her only season. Furthermore, Boston’s shooting percentage went from .608 last year to .485 this past season. Now clearly she is a good post player but I just don’t see the “generational” player that so many are raving about. Perhaps I’m missing something, but I just think it’s ludicrous that she (Boston) was rated higher than Paige. Nalyssa either, for that matter, though she imo is closer to Paige than Boston. Of course, the list was from ESPN, not exactly known for objectivity. As for Cardoso, I certainly would agree that she has a lot of potential and is perhaps terrific, but I doubt that many coaches would say more so than Azzi and certainly not more than Paige, who has already banked a far superior season. I’m sincerely puzzled about this so if anyone out there can explain why Boston is “generational” I’m all ears. I mean, Caitlin Clark blew Boston out of the water statistically and produced a freshman season for the ages and is two places behind her! ESPN is a joke and is hemorrhaging credibility daily!
Caitlin Clark, Paige and NyLassa do not play the same position as Boston so I'll reject those comparisons. The pedestal ( if there is one) that people are putting Boston on is being is being the best post player in the country -Right Now that is capable of leading her team to a championship. You might not like it but Boston has earned it. This was the same pedestal (AA) that in past years that Teaira Mccowan, Kalani Brown & Lauren Cox were elevate to. There have been no credible attempts ANYWHERE to elevate Boston to all time great or even POY status- except in your creative musings.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This may be true but it really doesn't match the tone of Cuango's comments imo. Paige is a generational talent yet you still have media sources spouting Boston is better. I don't think it is then unreasonable to assume some are putting Boston as "generational" even if we can't find a specific post here on the BY. And imo that was Cuango's point.

I guess he said High school and that's correct Boston was not thought of as a generational in H/S as he mentioned/implies whatever. SO sure. But to take the next step when he asks the question "what year will she be" - there are opinions that Boston is better right now as of this moment. Faulty that they may be. :)

What makes this fun is that I'm sure there are many boneyarders here that favor the low post game. If they favor the low post game I'm sure there would be some out there that outwardly or inwardly believe Boston is better. To those that do, they would believe Boston is "generational" wouldn't they? :)

And we know some posters on here love love low post basketball over perimeter hoop. :)
Good lord!
Where do you have media outlets " spouting Boston is better than Paige"? "
Name one outlet?

1620043626592.png

Reaction Score
I'll reword this to be PC since she obviously hasn't stated these things publicly. I use her as an example that if there is such a thing as a GT, IMO Stewart would be it. In what I would call her generation, the time span of her HS, college, and pro career so far, she's accomplished more individually and for her teams than anyone I can immediately think of and her pure talent is superior. To me that's the bar. But I wouldn't consider a player a GT just because they MIGHT become the best of their generation, they actually have to do it. There have been others in their times but it's a very small category to reach.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'll reword this to be PC since she obviously hasn't stated these things publicly. I use her as an example that if there is such a thing as a GT, IMO Stewart would be it. In what I would call her generation, the time span of her HS, college, and pro career so far, she's accomplished more individually and for her teams than anyone I can immediately think of and her pure talent is superior. To me that's the bar. But I wouldn't consider a player a GT just because they MIGHT become the best of their generation, they actually have to do it. There have been others in their times but it's a very small category to reach.
Only here on the BY can a player (Boston) who did not even receive a single vote for 2021 POY in the AP voting be entered into a conversation about "generational talent". No wonder other boards and fan bases are laughing at us. I yearn for the days when we were the ones doing the laughing, like when VolNation pronounced Cierra Burdick a Maya Moore level talent.

Reaction Score
In some ways the super-team competition makes the regular season even more important. Any loss by Uconn ,SC or Stanford will be huge, particularly with teams like Maryland, Louisville, NC State ready to potentially sneak into a number 1 seed.

For that matter it could be very important to try to get a one of the top two overall seeds if both Uconn and SC are dominant. You only want to play them in that case in a potential Final. Besides our record in Finals is soooooooooooo much better than our record in Semi-Finals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom