UConn still the team to beat | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn still the team to beat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Late to this party, but might as well add my two cents worth... :)

Look, with regards to Cardoso Camillia possibly making UConn a better team next year if she came to UConn, apparently, Geno and his staff didn't think so and I agree with them totally. The Transfer we currently have gives us way more options, which is absolutely better for our style of play.

Boston is a good player at her position, But I have been saying now for years that she has under-achieved in my opinion, based solely on her numbers. just not that impressive to me, I know many have a different opinion but oh well, I'm sticking to my assessment. One of the preseason player of the year candidates going in an un-injured to the best of my knowledge ended up being average at best which opened the door for two freshmen to contend for player of the year honors..

If Geno doesn't win next year with not one but two "Generational PLayers" on his team when none of the other teams have a single generational player on theirs, plus the envious collection of talented players to accompany those two, he should be fired for goodness sake... :) What else does the best coach to play the sport need to win it all? UCONN has to be favored, anything else just doesn't make sense. NO disrespect to the other teams but not winning the NC next year would be a huge disappointment to the program, me and most likely Geno himself..
Hello,
I view the FINAL FOUR as a two game tournament. Four excellent teams and, often,
the National Champion is the team with the best two game outing ( one at at time ).! The refs,
a bounce of the ball, a "hot" game, an "off" game. etc. A team works to earn the opportunity to
" make it happen"( i.e. gets to the final four) and , of course, to WIN. So, I think the NC is in the cards
for UCONN, but if we again make it to the final four, I think we continue to be "GREAT"! Go Team,
go Dorka!!!
Zarathustra

Reaction Score
In some ways the super-team competition makes the regular season even more important. Any loss by Uconn ,SC or Stanford will be huge, particularly with teams like Maryland, Louisville, NC State ready to potentially sneak into a number 1 seed.

For that matter it could be very important to try to get a one of the top two overall seeds if both Uconn and SC are dominant. You only want to play them in that case in a potential Final. Besides our record in Finals is soooooooooooo much better than our record in Semi-Finals!
I can see 2 of the 3 teams (UConn, Stanford, SC) going undefeated into the tournament next season - as they are heads and shoulders above anyone else on any dimension. Tourny seeding will be critical.

Reaction Score
My question is this: when is Boston going to live up to the “generational talent” label that people have been attaching to her since she was in high school. Clearly she has not lived up to it yet. Maybe next year?

1. Boston was the third rated player in her class. the generational thing as far as I can tell is one sort of strange UCONN fan on here.

2. In two years, she's been second team All America and First Team All America, All SEC First Team 2x and 2x SEC DPOY for teams that finished #1 and a bucket short of playing for the Championship.

Reaction Score
I think Dawn is the problem here, trying to put her two guards in the spotlight. Boston is not generational, but can be dominating if used right.

No. Staley would much rather play inside out.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
1. Boston was the third rated player in her class. the generational thing as far as I can tell is one sort of strange UCONN fan on here.
It’s actually one UConn fan that started calling Boston generational back in 2019. This poster freaks out every time So Carolina gets another big, dunno why ?‍♀️

Reaction Score
I'm sincerely curious. Why is the possibility that Cardoso simply chose South Carolina over UConn such a difficult aspect to consider? It seems as tho that option is not even allowed to be considered within the realm of possibility.
I think most of this comes from the report early on that UConn or Auburn were her preferred landing spots. That may not have been true in retrospect, but I think a lot of people believed it and that is why there was so much angst over her choice.

Reaction Score
Coates and Wilson hurt SC more than helped when playing together especially against UConn. When Coates got injured is when SCs offense was a lot better and IMO why they won the NC. I see the same problem with Boston and Cardoso. The middle will be clogged and that will benefit the other teams.

Reaction Score
Good lord!
Where do you have media outlets " spouting Boston is better than Paige"? "
Name one outlet?

View attachment 67235

Tell me what I can post on here as a link and I can do. But ESPN - Charlie Creme -has Boston 2nd and Paige 3rd for the upcoming season (Smith from Baylor 1st). He identified that on April 29th.

The Athletic had this past year Boston as POY.

Reaction Score
I agree with you on some points. Ive been saying who knows who is going to be better Dorka or Cardoso. I think Cardoso doesn't have to be that good next year because you have Boston and some solid post players. I think for Uconn to be a really great team Dorka has to be much better than Ono was in big games. This is the question mark. We will see once she hits the court.
Agree. Or, the combination of Dorka and Liv is much better than Liv was in big games alone, or the effect on Liv by having competition and by being pushed by Dorka in practice makes Liv better in big games. I will take any permutation.

Reaction Score
SC, Stanford, and UConn are the standouts. The unknown is how new bigs will affect teams. It is less of a question with SC and, to a lesser degree, with Stanford, Betts being a year away. If AE, Dorka, and Amari produce, UConn remains in mix, but they need tough non-conference action to prove their worth.

Reaction Score
I believe Paige is the better of the two. While I think Azzi has a chance to be great at some point, maybe soon, I wanna see how close to 100% she is when she arrives. The question about Azzi is the same as it was about Paige and about other great prospects: when will they become impactful?

But Rivers can't be left out of the equation anymore than Fudd can with the same question pending.

Okay but you realize you are changing the subject though, right? I respect your opinion who you think is better etc but in terms of what I replied to was from Dee's post she stated a scenario if Azzi was better. - Your view that Paige is better -it's not relevant to my discussion with Dee that you replied to. I agree with you if Azzi isn't as great as many say she is then that has a definite impact. But that's not the subject.

Because the poster Dee indicated if Azzi was best. So that is the presumption/ subject we have to go with. That's what I replied to. I was replying to Dee mentioning if Azzi was the number 1 player then my question was if she were number 1 (and it would mean she would be better than Paige)- why was Dee undoubtedly saying SC is number 1? Then that was then my question to you- seeing how you were replying to my response to Dee.

So if Azzi is better than Paige (in Dee's scenario) - why would one say that SC is still undoubtedly number 1? There are other "generational players" ot counter these two super great players (if Azzi were better than Paige as the subject I was replying to)?

Reaction Score
Caitlin Clark, Paige and NyLassa do not play the same position as Boston so I'll reject those comparisons. The pedestal ( if there is one) that people are putting Boston on is being is being the best post player in the country -Right Now that is capable of leading her team to a championship. You might not like it but Boston has earned it. This was the same pedestal (AA) that in past years that Teaira Mccowan, Kalani Brown & Lauren Cox were elevate to. There have been no credible attempts ANYWHERE to elevate Boston to all time great or even POY status- except in your creative musings.
Earned it how? By averaging 13 points a game, by her shooting % declining in her second season, by shooting 24% from three, by not being able to make a layup despite multiple efforts in the two biggest games of her season? As for my “creative musings”, I have heard over and over how great she is and simply don’t see the results that back that up! Re: your list of comparable players, I don’t remember any of those players receiving the breathless adulation that Boston has since she first arrived at SC. I’m not even referring to her AA status, although I think others had equal of better claims. As I said earlier, I think she is a good post, just not as good as ESPN wants her to be. She may become that, but she certainly isn’t that yet!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Earned it how?
By leading her team to the number one ranking in the country and a decisive win over UCONN as a freshman.
By leading her team to a FF as a sophomore.
By getting enough votes to be named "consensus" AA as a sophomore.
By being the best post player in the country-are you disputing that she is?

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Honest question-how did you reach the conclusion that the staff wasn't interested?
:) The same way others were projecting that they were interested...
( Rumors, friend of a friend who knows "X", Sheer guestimate )
Can anyone anywhere confirm that she was given an offer or even a call from anyone at Storrs?

Reaction Score
Coates and Wilson hurt SC more than helped when playing together especially against UConn. When Coates got injured is when SCs offense was a lot better and IMO why they won the NC. I see the same problem with Boston and Cardoso. The middle will be clogged and that will benefit the other teams.
I don't think the evidence actually supports this conclusion.

South Carolina scored 64 vs Miss State with Coates and 59 and 67 without her.

South Carolina scored 71 vs Arizona State, 71 vs FSU, 62 vs Stanford and 67 vs Miss State in the NCAA tournament. All of those were well below the season and conference averages.

South Carolina's second lowest scoring game of the season was vs Miss State without Coates and its third lowest scoring game was vs Missouri when Coates was injured.

Neither the numbers nor my recollection really supports the idea that South Carolina got really dynamic without Coates. They pretty much continued to grind games out with defense rather than offensive explosion.

I'm sure the 55 pt game vs UCONN caught your attention, but I'm sure UCONN was probably near the very top of the defensive rankings that year. Really good teams are hard to score on. I'm not sure removing the double double threat would have helped.

Reaction Score
For me you don’t have to average 25 ppg, 25 Rbs, 10 assists, and 10 blocks to be a generational talent.

Boston separates herself with what she does defensively and if South Carolina could play well in the half court she’d average 20 or more.

Diana Taurasi, I dare not compare anyone to her, ever!!! However, she did not average 30 ppg. She did what very few, and I mean very few players could do and make her teammates better.

I feel like there are some older stubborn UConn fans who don’t like to admit when other teams have nice players and feel as if when another UConn fan does acknowledge a good player, we’re crazy. I’m not saying South Carolina is the #1 team and the best collegiate women’s bb team of all time, I just simply stated Boston is good.

Stop projecting your fears of these teams playing on others, you can only win or lose.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
My question is this: when is Boston going to live up to the “generational talent” label that people have been attaching to her since she was in high school. Clearly she has not lived up to it yet. Maybe next year?
Why do you think Boston should live up to someone's expectation ? She plays in a system and she is very good at what she does. She was not the No.1 recruit, she was No. 3...but she has played as well as any other recruit...I don't get this..."live up to" idiocy that people throw out there. Boston is a great player she and never claims anything...so stop with this stuff. Here's who Boston is...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's been a few years since UConn was "the team to beat". We certainly weren't that last year.
Well we sort of were, at least week 13 through week 16.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Why do you think Boston should live up to someone's expectation ? She plays in a system and she is very good at what she does. She was not the No.1 recruit, she was No. 3...but she has played as well as any other recruit...I don't get this..."live up to" idiocy that people throw out there. Boston is a great player she and never claims anything...so stop with this stuff. Here's who Boston is...

Fans of other programs are welcome here but please do NOT tell us UConn fans what to post or how to post it. This is a UConn board.

Reaction Score
I feel like there are some older stubborn UConn fans who don’t like to admit when other teams have nice players and feel as if when another UConn fan does acknowledge a good player, we’re crazy. I’m not saying South Carolina is the #1 team and the best collegiate women’s bb team of all time, I just simply stated Boston is good.

Stop projecting your fears of these teams playing on others, you can only win or lose.
You never addressed how you could have Azzi first over Paige and still identifying SC as the undoubtedly number 1 team. I think what it comes down to not neccessarily with you -with a name like Dee- though your overall outlook on the game could have changed- that you have old diehards of old school basketball that want to fight (friendly fight) with more perimeter driven teams.

While you suggest "fears" some of us can say the same thing about the old school fans that don't want to accept the new era in some cases can beat old school basketball. It's the same fears you are citing with this other poster.

Reaction Score
I don't think the evidence actually supports this conclusion.

South Carolina scored 64 vs Miss State with Coates and 59 and 67 without her.

South Carolina scored 71 vs Arizona State, 71 vs FSU, 62 vs Stanford and 67 vs Miss State in the NCAA tournament. All of those were well below the season and conference averages.

South Carolina's second lowest scoring game of the season was vs Miss State without Coates and its third lowest scoring game was vs Missouri when Coates was injured.

Neither the numbers nor my recollection really supports the idea that South Carolina got really dynamic without Coates. They pretty much continued to grind games out with defense rather than offensive explosion.

I'm sure the 55 pt game vs UCONN caught your attention, but I'm sure UCONN was probably near the very top of the defensive rankings that year. Really good teams are hard to score on. I'm not sure removing the double double threat would have helped.
Since when do results not count?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104