UConn still the team to beat | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn still the team to beat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You never addressed how you could have Azzi first over Paige and still identifying SC as the undoubtedly number 1 team. I think what it comes down to not neccessarily with you -with a name like Dee- though your overall outlook on the game could have changed- that you have old diehards of old school basketball that want to fight (friendly fight) with more perimeter driven teams.

While you suggest "fears" some of us can say the same thing about the old school fans that don't want to accept the new era in some cases can beat old school basketball. It's the same fears you are citing with this other poster.
Where did say I Azzi was better than page and claim SC as the #1 team? Where?

Reaction Score
Since when do results not count?

What results?

South Carolina avenged no losses in the NCAA tournament. It did not score any more points than it had all season.

It very likely would have beaten all the teams it faced with Alicia Coates.

Reaction Score
Coates and Wilson hurt SC more than helped when playing together especially against UConn. When Coates got injured is when SCs offense was a lot better and IMO why they won the NC. I see the same problem with Boston and Cardoso. The middle will be clogged and that will benefit the other teams.
That certainly could be the case, and if so Cardoso could just become an exceptional backup to Boston. Your Coates/Wilson analogy actually has a WNBA version as well, because both Wilson and Cambage played better without the other, when they were teamed up for a year, and then Wilson became MVP when Liz wasn't there.

No don't get me wrong, the Aces as a team are better overall with both in the lineup, but their is no offensive synergy there. They take up the space each wants to occupy, so they are not as good scoring as the sum of the parts would suggest. Defensively and rebounding the twin towers was a huge advantage, but for offensive efficiency there was a negative tradeoff.

Reaction Score
Where did say I Azzi was better than page and claim SC as the #1 team? Where?

I MADE A MISTAKE.

I thought you said SC. You said STANFORD. And when you 1st replied to me I missed that reply because then you replied to me again. I missed the reply whne you asked me where did you say SC. I'm sorry. My fault. My fault.

I thought you said SC. That's why I asked the question to you way back but missed your reply. I would've then stopped with SC.

-----------------

A little about Azzi though and your post
You did say this
"Although I do expect Azzi to be the best or second best player on team."

And you replied with this

Now, there is a where I’m a little confused with your question. How does what I said above mean that she will be better than Rivers or Johnson(S. Carolina prospects?)— I don’t know how that became a part of the discussion of what I mentioned above or implies that the aforementioned players are better.

I had 1st replied to you that if Azzi is better than Paige it would mean UCONN had the 2 best players in hoop. The very next paragraph I asked
"Or is it that Raven or one of their other frosh is just as good as Paige and Azzi that you'd call one of the frosh a top 5 National player?"

If you are going to call Azzi better than Paige and Paige was POY - I wanted to you to confirm that a SC frosh could be near as good (because other than Boston, who else is "great?) as the 2 POY candidates in which SC was undoubtedly better.

I made a mistake. I'm sorry. I thought you said SC was the team to beat undoubtedly (even if Azzi is better than the former POY Paige). .

In summary - if anyone were to suggest Azzi would be better than Paige- there has to be a strong consideration that UCONN has a pretty good chance of having two superstars on the floor. And if you have TWO superstars on the floor and with the type of talent they have from the rest- I thought you were still dismissing uCONN a bit. But I misread. - SOrry again.

Reaction Score
What results?

South Carolina avenged no losses in the NCAA tournament. It did not score any more points than it had all season.

Your team was not the best when the NCAA started. You wound up being the best. You're making a projection that you "likely would have won" is hollow. You had a whole season and leading up to the NCAA you showed you weren't.

What we DO KNOW is that once you went with a different lineup YOU WERE TH EBEST. These are results of reg. season vs Tourney.

Your team made a change and you ended up winning it all. We're just supposed to ignore the change because you say-so?

You "might" have won it all. But "likely?" That's SC fan speak.

Reaction Score
Sure my question to Dee - I'll put to you-- Dee said Azzi could be the best on the UCONN Team but even with that seemed to imply that SC was clear-cut number 1 (If I misconstrued that Dee I'm sorry - please let me know. Though it's why many of my comments to Dee were questions albeit leading ones. Though questions applicable to what I thought Dee meant.)

I said if Dee felt that Azzi was the best on UCONN it would mean Azzi and Paige would be the best 2 players on the floor. In italics and what I underline below I specifically asked if Dee thought that if one of the other frosh from SC could be top 5 Nationally top 5. At that point I can probably understand a confident view that SC would be the top program (as long as the gap between 1vs 5 was not large).

So are you saying that if Dee's post is correct that Azzi becomes the best player on UCONN (barring injury) that you fully expect Rivers to be top 5 Notionally? If not, then your post to me is completely irrelevant because I was addressing Dee's POV that EVEN IF Azzi is (i.e. better than Paige.) is better than Paige that SC would still be so clear number 1. So I asked if any frosh would be top 5 Nationally. My questions and reply was specific to Dee's prior post.

Or is it that Raven or one of their other frosh is just as good as Paige and Azzi that you'd call one of the frosh a top 5 National player?
Mrs Maisel GIF by The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think Cunnane and the Iowa center do as much for their teams as Boston does for SC. They have not led their teams to a FF but they are not surrounded by teammates as talented as SC.

Reaction Score
For me you don’t have to average 25 ppg, 25 Rbs, 10 assists, and 10 blocks to be a generational talent.

Boston separates herself with what she does defensively and if South Carolina could play well in the half court she’d average 20 or more.

Diana Taurasi, I dare not compare anyone to her, ever!!! However, she did not average 30 ppg. She did what very few, and I mean very few players could do and make her teammates better.

I feel like there are some older stubborn UConn fans who don’t like to admit when other teams have nice players and feel as if when another UConn fan does acknowledge a good player, we’re crazy. I’m not saying South Carolina is the #1 team and the best collegiate women’s bb team of all time, I just simply stated Boston is good.

Stop projecting your fears of these teams playing on others, you can only win or lose.
The thing is, I have consistently said she is a good to very good post. I just don’t agree that she is necessarily the “best post in the country and the only one that is capable of leading their team to a championship. What about Cunane at NC State? I would say she compares quite favorably with Boston. She scores more points 16.3-13.7, better percentage 53%-48% overall, 38.7%-26.5% threes, 84%-76% free throws, Boston beats her on boards 11.5-8.3,assists 50-41(B played 4 minutes more per game), blocks 81-20, steals 36-16. Unless I’m missing something I’d have to say they are pretty even overall. I actually like Boston and wish she had come to UConn! She seems like a great person and clearly is a very good player. I just think there is a lot of favoritism in this game and that certain media outlets put more emphasis on what they want than what actually is.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
If you dont have a good guards your team will loose in big games. From reading alot of posts alot of teams with alot of bigs will be ranked in the top 5. UConn SC Stanford are my top 3 going into next season. UConn has great guards and maybe the two top players in WCBB. They can score alot of points, can both play the point, can pass, create and score. They know how to play the game and get open even though they are keyed on. No other team has that. Now lets talk about height. SC has Boston and Cardozo. Will they both play 35 minutes? I dont think so. Will they lead their team in fouls...that very well could. Will Dawn alternate them if theyre foul prown? Most likely and give them rests..... UConn has Liv Dorka and Amari Deberry coming in who will need to be developed as well as Paith who needs more development. Looking at UConns roster Deberry and Gabriel will see time as the season gets into February. We will need them. So yes UConn has depth in the middle but it will take some time for it to be developed. So I expect next season Edwards Paige and Azzi to be the show. Liv and Dorka get alot of minutes and Gabriel and Deberry get their time based on their development. Evina and Christyn will see alot of time too Both seniors. UCONN is LOADED. Caroline and Saylor need to be developed and with the scoring power UConn has they will see a good amount of playtime.

Heres where we are at imo. Paige and Azzi are superstars. They will see alot of time. Both are off the charts good. They will be the show. Next our seniors need playtime to get ready to play pro ball..(Liv, Christyn,Evina and Dorka) and Dorka most likely will play two years to get ready for her future. The freshman need to be ready to replace the seniors so Caroline Saylor Amari and Azzi will see alot of playtime. Mir Piath and Aubrey need time to get ready for the next level. I expect to see every body get minutes based on matchups, and minutes.

Lets face it UConn is gonna blow out just about every team they face. Its almost not fair. SC is really good as is Stanford and MD. UConn has the super stars. UConn can and will put up alot more points then most other teams because most other really good teams will have to guard the perimeter and when you have UConns arsenals and your opponents have bigs chasing them well I like UConns chances alot especially with Caroline and Saylor from deep. It gonna be really tuff to guard UConn. If you doubt me think about this. Last year we had Paige this Season we have Azzi Caroline Saylor and Paige. I like that alot. We saw what Paige can do now imagine adding Azzi Caroline and Saylor. It doesnt get any better then that.

W

wolfe613

If you dont have a good guards your team will loose in big games. From reading alot of posts alot of teams with alot of bigs will be ranked in the top 5. UConn SC Stanford are my top 3 going into next season. UConn has great guards and maybe the two top players in WCBB. They can score alot of points, can both play the point, can pass, create and score. They know how to play the game and get open even though they are keyed on. No other team has that. Now lets talk about height. SC has Boston and Cardozo. Will they both play 35 minutes? I dont think so. Will they lead their team in fouls...that very well could. Will Dawn alternate them if theyre foul prown? Most likely and give them rests..... UConn has Liv Dorka and Amari Deberry coming in who will need to be developed as well as Paith who needs more development. Looking at UConns roster Deberry and Gabriel will see time as the season gets into February. We will need them. So yes UConn has depth in the middle but it will take some time for it to be developed. So I expect next season Edwards Paige and Azzi to be the show. Liv and Dorka get alot of minutes and Gabriel and Deberry get their time based on their development. Evina and Christyn will see alot of time too Both seniors. UCONN is LOADED. Caroline and Saylor need to be developed and with the scoring power UConn has they will see a good amount of playtime.

Heres where we are at imo. Paige and Azzi are superstars. They will see alot of time. Both are off the charts good. They will be the show. Next our seniors need playtime to get ready to play pro ball..(Liv, Christyn,Evina and Dorka) and Dorka most likely will play two years to get ready for her future. The freshman need to be ready to replace the seniors so Caroline Saylor Amari and Azzi will see alot of playtime. Mir Piath and Aubrey need time to get ready for the next level. I expect to see every body get minutes based on matchups, and minutes.

Lets face it UConn is gonna blow out just about every team they face. Its almost not fair. SC is really good as is Stanford and MD. UConn has the super stars. UConn can and will put up alot more points then most other teams because most other really good teams will have to guard the perimeter and when you have UConns arsenals and your opponents have bigs chasing them well I like UConns chances alot especially with Caroline and Saylor from deep. It gonna be really tuff to guard UConn. If you doubt me think about this. Last year we had Paige this Season we have Azzi Caroline Saylor and Paige. I like that alot. We saw what Paige can do now imagine adding Azzi Caroline and Saylor. It doesnt get any better then that.
Fudd yet to play 1 game in WCBB and she already the 2nd best player over Boston Cookie Clark Haley Jones? Wow, I guess she really is the "Michael Jordan" of WBB if we have those types of posts already

Reaction Score

Who is the second top player ?. Azzi Fludd hasn't played a game and is coming off major injury. For all we know Henderson, Cooke, Johnson or Rivers could have a better season. Really rose colored glasses.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Almost hard to have a real basketball conversation.
Fudd yet to play 1 game in WCBB and she already the 2nd best player over Boston Cookie Clark Haley Jones? Wow, I guess she really is the "Michael Jordan" of WBB if we have those types of posts already
It’s like you guys have never read a TonyC post before.

There’s plenty of room on the Boneyard for a variety of viewpoints

Reaction Score

I guess not. This is over the top homerism ?.

Reaction Score
What results?

And even more so with Alaina Coates......

Reaction Score

With all due respect, doesn’t the disagreement with calling a player who has not played a minute of college basketball, never mind coming off a severe injury, a superstar or generational come under the heading of a “variety of viewpoints.”

Reaction Score
I don't think the evidence actually supports this conclusion.

South Carolina scored 64 vs Miss State with Coates and 59 and 67 without her.

South Carolina scored 71 vs Arizona State, 71 vs FSU, 62 vs Stanford and 67 vs Miss State in the NCAA tournament. All of those were well below the season and conference averages.

South Carolina's second lowest scoring game of the season was vs Miss State without Coates and its third lowest scoring game was vs Missouri when Coates was injured.

Neither the numbers nor my recollection really supports the idea that South Carolina got really dynamic without Coates. They pretty much continued to grind games out with defense rather than offensive explosion.

I'm sure the 55 pt game vs UCONN caught your attention, but I'm sure UCONN was probably near the very top of the defensive rankings that year. Really good teams are hard to score on. I'm not sure removing the double double threat would have helped.
Coates injury opened the middle not just for Aja but also the dribble penetration for Grey and Davis. Coates really didn't play games against Connecticut well.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
With all due respect, doesn’t the disagreement with calling a player who has not played a minute of college basketball, never mind coming off a severe injury, a superstar or generational come under the heading of a “variety of viewpoints.”
I never said it wasn’t. Disagreeing with Tony is fine, mocking him isn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom