UConn ACC Expansion Column | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn ACC Expansion Column

Reaction Score
You realize that were were considered for inclusion? Twice?

Just saying, if you're going to troll at least don't be an idiot about it.

Im not trolling, just giving another perspective that ppl on hear dont want to acknowledge. Calling that trolling is like trump calling things fake news.

You are right about my wording. I meant seriously considered. I believe they were quite far down the list both times.

That being said, i would like to see uconn in the acc.

Reaction Score
Rutgers to the B1G says "Hi." Cable boxes are going away, and subscription services are going to be more important. So big population centers will be important. UConn/Syracuse, UConn/BC would solidify the two major markets while adding a densely populated state via its state school.

They may not add UConn, but this board has enough naysaying fans--too many at the moment, in fact, to endure some opposing school's fan talk about things he doesn't really know much about. So go to the Conference Realignment board to chat about this, or go somewhere else, but cut out the trolling. Hugs and kisses.

Your first paragraph is very contradictory. Cable boxes going away actually disfavors big cities. You want big fan bases. Big cities were good for cable companies because they were geographically based and could force non fans to pay for the conference channels.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see the ACC do a +4

• UConn
  • WVU
  • Cincinatti
  • ND

Big Fuhcking East BACK FROM THE GRAVE BABY.

Have a big east division and acc division. Im in. Maybe not cinci tho

Reaction Score
Oh no..no, no

Some of you guys have to put up with Tobacco Road....must share the pain.

Miami
VT
BC
Pitt
Cuse
UConn
WVU
ND
Cinci
Louisville

I could deal with that.

Reaction Score
Most of this makes sense but even including NC Charlotte makes me question the whole thing. And when would anyone consider UVW to be "prestigious"? They can't even spell three syllable words in WV without a tutor.

Reaction Score
So two winning seasons not one. And two 4-5 years. Right at 500. Not terrible in the big 12.

To conclude, i was correct saying one winning season is false. Thank you.
For the Big 12 playing the likes of Kansas, Texas Tech, K State, Oklahoma State, and losing to them, that's pretty bad. WVU sucks now. They were good when Rich Rod was the coach but after that it's been hit or miss. Are they better right now than UCONN, yes but not by much and not by enough to overcome their crappy academics and UCONN'S better basketball tradition. UCONN also has the NY market, WVU has Hicksville.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
Two things - 1. writers name Ned Hardwood - decent prom name. 2.W. Virginia has 20 Natl Championships? I was going to make the obligatory joke about collegiate coal mining but I looked it up and they have 19 titles in Coed Rifle. Can't make this stuff up.

If the ACC Network added a daily show of cheerleaders shooting rifles, I would watch.

Reaction Score
For the Big 12 playing the likes of Kansas, Texas Tech, K State, Oklahoma State, and losing to them, that's pretty bad. WVU sucks now. They were good when Rich Rod was the coach but after that it's been hit or miss. Are they better right now than UConn, yes but not by much and not by enough to overcome their crappy academics and UConn'S better basketball tradition. UConn also has the NY market, WVU has Hicksville.

Wvu outplayed uconn in fball and bball this year.

Admit what you posted was factually incorrect.

Kstate and osu are bad at football now?

Reaction Score
What the hell do you think Syracuse adds that is so superior to what UCONN would add? Please enlighten me.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
No it's not, West Virginia since 2012 has only had one winning season in its conference, all the other years their record was sub 500 in their conference. Even HCRE and Maryland killed them one year like 39-0.

I'll stand corrected on that one. Guess I should say, football "potential". Low academic barrier and rabid fanbase. Sucks for them they haven't taken advantage.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
West Virginia is never going to the ACC.

They were desperate when they invited Louisville, but they're not going to swallow another academic crapstorm in a market that's already covered with Pitt and Virginia Tech. West Virginia has to pray that the Big 12 stays together or they're American-bound.

Hell, if the Big 12 had a time machine, even they'd go back and take Louisville instead of West Virginia.

Reaction Score
I'll stand corrected on that one. Guess I should say, football "potential". Low academic barrier and rabid fanbase. Sucks for them they haven't taken advantage.

His statements are false, if that matters to you.

Reaction Score
What the hell do you think Syracuse adds that is so superior to what UConn would add? Please enlighten me.

This is about what uconn adds (cuse is already in) and the answer is, not enough. Acc needs to pander to the football schools and uconn just doesnt have it in this category.

Reaction Score
This is about what UConn adds and the answer is, not enough.

OK and what options to UCONN are so vastly superior that UCONN shouldn't even be "seriously" considered? The ACC is in no rush to add a school, obviously, but when they eventually do, I am having a difficult time seeing any schools that are better fits. You are just as biased as we are.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
OK and what options to UConn are so vastly superior that UConn shouldn't even be "seriously" considered? The ACC is in no rush to add a school, obviously, but when they eventually do, I am having a difficult time seeing any schools that are better fits. You are just as biased as we are.

The article linked to in the OP says it all. We're next. We've been next for a long time and will likely continue to be next for a long time. But make no mistake, we're next.

Reaction Score
They had their shot when Rich Rod was their coach. They also bring nothing whatsoever now TV market wise, their TV market is ranked 293 nationally. Compare that to East Carolina which is 238. The ACC wants the NY market to Boston corridor more than anything, UCONN gives them that on a silver platter. I'm confident that HCRE is going to bring UCONN football back to some degree of respect, I also think many in the ACC hierarchy believe that as well.

Reaction Score
His statements are false, if that matters to you.
FALSE???? UCONN has 15 national championships in mens and women's basketball, and two revered coaches. Plus several NC's in other sports. Couple that with really good academics, can ANY school in the country with the possible exception of UCLA, come close to that????

Last edited:

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
It's all about TV contracts, right? If that's the case we aren't going to change a huge number of TVs for football - maybe some amount in CT but not enough to make up for the slice of pie they have to give us. But when you're talking basketball, you are going to change a lot more TVs when it comes to UConn vs Cuse, Pitt, ND, Ville and even BC. That's where we pay back the smaller slice of pie for every other team. That and hopefully tourney shares once we are back on the national level. The women also add a lot more TVs than they cost from the women's side.

It's a business and UConn simply has to provide a better value for being added than anyone else (while not dragging down conference credibility on an academic level). If the math works, we get an invite. If it doesn't, we don't. It's not any more complicated than that.

Reaction Score
OK and what options to UConn are so vastly superior that UConn shouldn't even be "seriously" considered? The ACC is in no rush to add a school, obviously, but when they eventually do, I am having a difficult time seeing any schools that are better fits. You are just as biased as we are.

The football. I want uconn in acc but just doesnt have the football infrastructure or history needed to be required.

Reaction Score
FALSE???? UConn has 15 national championships in mens and women's basketball, and two revered coaches. Plus several NC's in other sports. Couple that with really good academics, can ANY school in the country with the possible exception of UCLA, come close to that????

We were talking about wvu conference record and then you go off on a tangent.

Sorry to say but womens bball isnt getting you in acc.

Reaction Score
The big east football conference was a joke by the time UConn joined. Your football program just doesnt have it.

UConn FB is as good or better than several current ACC members (Duke, WF, Syracuse, BC, UVA).

And let's not go crazy about the value of WVU football. It's a program without titles in a state smaller than CT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom