UConn ACC Expansion Column | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn ACC Expansion Column

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
They already have one school (Louisville) with an academic ranking that's worse than Trump University. I don't think they want another headache like that.
and how much has that matterred in this GD football crazed world that I just dont understand? Them buying this past seasons' Heisman winner basically sealed the deal for ACC fans.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Honestly, I think from a national perspective, in the last 15 years of college football, maybe 20, UConn football isn't regarded any worse than those ACC teams.

I'm not in CT, no one cares about any of them. In fact, they all have had basically one good, miracle bowl run but are either national jokes (Duke) or irrelevant (UConn, wake).

It doesn't seem crazy to get to that midlevel ACC program in football, the conference isn't all that loaded when you break it down, football wise.

Reaction Score
Dude u are dreaming. Our FBall team got stomped by two of those teams less than 6 months ago!!

I'm talking about the value of the program to a conference. ND lost to Duke last year, and Michigan lost to Iowa, and Texas lost to Kansas, but that doesn't tell us anything about the relative value of those programs.

Reaction Score
Check out the Sagarin Conference rankings from 2004 - 2012.

Not to mention BCS bowl game performance in that period as well.

It doesnt matter. Your fball team is burried right now and needs a lifeline to a p5. The only problem is a p5 will only take you if you have a strong fball program. Its a paradox/quagmire. Uconn simply doesnt have the history or the infrastructure. But hey, you never know.

Reaction Score
I'm talking about the value of the program to a conference. ND lost to Duke last year, and Michigan lost to Iowa, and Texas lost to Kansas, but that doesn't tell us anything about the relative value of those programs.

Uconn adds zero to any conference for football purposes. Big plus w mens basketball but acc doesnt need it. Thats the problem you face.

Reaction Score
Even our academic violation a ways back was for not giving out fake grades and allowing kids to get the grades they earned.

See thats your issue and has been all along. Dont argue the merits of your program but take shots at other programs. Uconn is new money that went broke. Focus on yourselves and stop filing frivolous lawsuits and maybe you will be taken seriously if you can ever get the football program off the ground and build a real stadium.

Reaction Score
See thats your issue and has been all along. Dont argue the merits of your program but take shots at other programs.
Coming from the guy who has now posted 19 times in this thread, each time taking a shot at UConn. What is your malfunction to post 19 times on another team's message board about conference realignment of all things?

Reaction Score
UConn adds zero to any conference for football purposes. Big plus w mens basketball but acc doesnt need it. Thats the problem you face.

The ACC doesn't need more basketball schools? Duke and UNC seemed to think they needed another basketball school during the 2012-13 turnover in the ACC. They reportedly wanted UConn in.

I think most people here understand "the problem we face" vis-a-vis FB, but again, UConn's FB program is (historically) comparable to programs in the lower tier of the ACC. The reason UConn wasn't admitted to the ACC in the 2012-13 period is that BC and Syracuse hate UConn and worked to keep us out.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
UConn adds zero to any conference for football purposes. Big plus w mens basketball but acc doesnt need it. Thats the problem you face.

Shouldn't you be burning couches or something?

Why do you care? WVU is in the Big 12 and with any good luck "for a change" UConn will finally get the call to a P5 and the ACC.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It doesnt matter. Your fball team is burried right now and needs a lifeline to a p5. The only problem is a p5 will only take you if you have a strong fball program. Its a paradox/quagmire. UConn simply doesnt have the history or the infrastructure. But hey, you never know.

History? Not enough, I'd agree. Infrastructure? We have better facilities for football than most P5 programs. As with most college sports, it's mostly about coaching. I think you'll see UConn rebound to go to a bowl this year, and improve from there. What UConn adds for football is a captive market. Most other programs outside the P5 are second or third tier programs in their own market. Memphis, Houston, UCF, USF, Colo State, BYU. None of them are the most popular team in their home market or ever will be.

Reaction Score
Shouldn't you be burning couches or something?

Why do you care? WVU is in the Big 12 and with any good luck "for a change" UConn will finally get the call to a P5 and the ACC.
WVU is heading for the AAC once the Big 12 implodes. Lol

Reaction Score
Today maybe, but we've been decent before. Ask ND or SC.

Reaction Score
Coming from the guy who has now posted 19 times in this thread, each time taking a shot at UConn. What is your malfunction to post 19 times on another team's message board about conference realignment of all things?

I find acc discussions interesting and discussing the merits. I like this board.

Reaction Score
One of my favorite things about the BY is how often fans of inferior athletic departments come here to tell us what UConn needs to do to get into a P5.

You mean those athletic depts raking in 40-50m a year compared to the american $. How inferior. Uconn is on the clock right now. That monetary discrepancy may have a lasting impact.

Reaction Score
WVU is heading for the AAC once the Big 12 implodes. Lol
You are correct. They were in the right place and the right time when the Big 12 was looking to expand and facing it's own demise. If the Big 12 had taken Louisville at the time. UConn would be in the ACC now and WVU would be in the AAC. History can repeat and the Big 12 will once again be poached, and this time WVU will be rejoining UConn in a new P5 AAC.

Reaction Score
You mean those athletic depts raking in 40-50m a year compared to the american $. How inferior. UConn is on the clock right now. That monetary discrepancy may have a lasting impact.
I'm talking about performance, simpleton. UConn blows your school outta the water in terms of actual accomplishments.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
You mean those athletic depts raking in 40-50m a year compared to the american $. How inferior. UConn is on the clock right now. That monetary discrepancy may have a lasting impact.
You keep implying that you can't get into a P5 without a successful football program. Then explain Rutgers to the Big 10. I would argue it's more about market size these days. Jim Delany said it was market size when he went after Rutgers and MD. WVU is in a P5. Be happy. But if your comparing the chances of the ACC asking UConn to join or WVU I'll take the Huskies chances all day long. The article was about the ACC but the Huskies are alao strong candidate for the Big Ten when they expand. So you can take your 19 Coed rifle titles, your 293 market size, your 183rd academic rank and shuffle back to Morgantown.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

UConn is on the clock, sure, but the Athletic Department has shown no signs of cutting back expenses.

If anything, in moves that surprise even a lot of Husky fans, the AD seems to be doubling down.

I don't think it means anything as far as foreshadowing to a league change, but they are certainly continuing to dump money into the programs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom