UConn ACC Expansion Column | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn ACC Expansion Column

Reaction Score
History? Not enough, I'd agree. Infrastructure? We have better facilities for football than most P5 programs. As with most college sports, it's mostly about coaching. I think you'll see UConn rebound to go to a bowl this year, and improve from there. What UConn adds for football is a captive market. Most other programs outside the P5 are second or third tier programs in their own market. Memphis, Houston, UCF, USF, Colo State, BYU. None of them are the most popular team in their home market or ever will be.

Captive market - good point that's not made enough. Granted we have much smaller programs in the State that are fun to watch, but nothing to the level of UConn. Even WVU has Marshall to worry about which is on a (somewhat lower) similar level. We don't have that at all here.

Reaction Score
UConn is on the clock, sure, but the Athletic Department has shown no signs of cutting back expenses.

If anything, in moves that surprise even a lot of Husky fans, the AD seems to be doubling down.

I don't think it means anything as far as foreshadowing to a league change, but they are certainly continuing to dump money into the programs.

Thats a good sign and you want to be in position if things change but everything seems stagnant now. What if it takes another 10 years?

Reaction Score
So we should be embarrassed by losing to OU? At least we got to the game.

The fan showing, the result, and what your coach did. Also being labeled the least deserving bcs team ever. But the big east was essentially a mid major football conference at that point.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The fan showing, the result, and what your coach did. Also being labeled the least deserving bcs team ever. But the big east was essentially a mid major football conference at that point.

The attendance issue is a myth. That game drew 67k fans. Compare to the 2009 game between Texas and Ohio State which drew 72k fans.

Coincidentally, nobody mentions the 2011 Orange Bowl from the same season. The results?

Stanford 40 - Virginia Tech 12. Attendance 65k

There's no deserving about it. It's not an at large bid or a selection committee. We won the league. We went to the game.

Reaction Score
The attendance issue is a myth. That game drew 67k fans. Compare to the 2009 game between Texas and Ohio State which drew 72k fans.

Coincidentally, nobody mentions the 2011 Orange Bowl from the same season. The results?

There's no deserving about it. It's not an at large bid or a selection committee. We won the league. We went to the game.

Good pt on attendance. I didnt know that. Maybe that is fake news. Was the issue uconn's ticket sales though?

Reaction Score
Is it a dirty secret?

WVU in those years when they should have held up the Big East's honor but got smoked. Some standard bearer. Then you let Rich Rod go, or more to say he fled out of there like the house was a-fire. And your embarrassing fans that threw batteries and bags of poop at opposing teams and fans, way to represent the Big East guy.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Good pt on attendance. I didnt know that. Maybe that is fake news. Was the issue UConn's ticket sales though?

UConn fans "only" bought 3,000 tickets directly from the school, which is the story the national sports news ran with. The issue was that UConn had to eat the cost of the 15,000 unsold tickets, where as Oklahoma only sold around 8,000 tickets directly through the school but the B12 conference ate the difference.

The tickets directly through the school were outrageously expensive. However, many fans like me and my crew, who had shelled out $400 for a flight + hotel, bought our seats on Stub Hub for a fraction of the cost.

The ticket issue always bothers me, because if UConn only sold 3,000 and Oklahoma only sold 8,000 did they think 55,000 random fans from Arizona were interested in UConn football and it pushed the attendance to 67k?

Others on here have posted pictures of the game, but I don't think it's a stretch to say we had at least 20-25k in the house.

pj

Reaction Score
WVU in those years when they should have held up the Big East's honor but got smoked. Some standard bearer. Then you let Rich Rod go, or more to say he fled out of there like the house was a-fire. And your embarrassing fans that threw batteries and bags of poop at opposing teams and fans, way to represent the Big East guy.

Isn't @jgeorge322 a Syracuse fan?

Reaction Score
UConn fans "only" bought 3,000 tickets directly from the school, which is the story the national sports news ran with. The issue was that UConn had to eat the cost of the 15,000 unsold tickets, where as Oklahoma only sold around 8,000 tickets directly through the school but the B12 conference ate the difference.

The tickets directly through the school were outrageously expensive. However, many fans like me and my crew, who had shelled out $400 for a flight + hotel, bought our seats on Stub Hub for a fraction of the cost.

The ticket issue always bothers me, because if UConn only sold 3,000 and Oklahoma only sold 8,000 did they think 55,000 random fans from Arizona were interested in UConn football and it pushed the attendance to 67k?

Others on here have posted pictures of the game, but I don't think it's a stretch to say we had at least 20-25k in the house.

That is a BS story then. Id trust someone in the house.

Reaction Score

Ok so you cant.

Reaction Score
Why are people engaging this a$$troll? Syracuse is a joke for cheating and sexual abuse. He is clueless about conference realignment and is only here to incite.

Please i throw plenty of compliments uconns way. I am actually a uconn fan. I just ground you guys in reality when it comes to your football program and conference.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
... and he's not even a particularly good troll. Boring but not worth the couple of clicks needed to ignore.

Reaction Score
He's a pederast.

Hey John, how about you answer the question.

This forum is turning worse than The Birthplace sometimes, but I guess the AAC would have me bitter as well.

Reaction Score

Because tons of UConn fans bought tickets in the independent marketplace, not through the school, so the school number's are meaningless.

Reaction Score
Good pt on attendance. I didnt know that. Maybe that is fake news. Was the issue UConn's ticket sales though?
Most people bought through 3rd parties, at half price or less. OU students were subsidized by B12 conference.

Reaction Score

The problem, as usual with this athletic department, isn't the actual results, it's the perception. The narrative that got out, which we failed to control, is that our fans don't travel and we got blown out in a boring game.

It matters exactly zero what the actual facts were. The casual observers -- the people for whom ADs and university presidents have to justify their conference realignment decision-making -- think that we're a joke of a program and a fanbase.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom