Uconn’s next coach | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Uconn’s next coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I want Pitino. Think of UCONN basketball as a patient dead on the guerney needing the paddles to jolt them back to life. Just listening this morning to sports radio WFAN describing the situation as not mattering who we hire because it will be many years if ever for us to come back to national relevence. This is the prevailing opinionout there, just listen. Even Pitino can’t do this in 1 season but he can probably get talent in here right away. Maybe get us at least back to being talked about. I admit it’s a huge risk that most don’t want to take but he coaches for a few years getting us back before a graceful retirement. It revives both us and him.

Reaction Score
There is no one out there that fits that definition. Every big name is at an established school. And a guy like Tom Crean isn't a big name. He's a retread.
I am not going to argue semantics and definitions of "big names". Certainly there are guys out there that will move the needle and guys that won't. Any coach from Vermont, Albany, La Tech and the likes is not the direction this program can afford to go at this time.

Reaction Score
Doesn't everything hinge on what the results of the investigation will be? If UC is going to be on probation, lose scholarships, denied tournament appearances, and tv appearances, won't this pretty much doom ANY coach to at least 2 years of disaster, not to mention no recruits willing to take the chance on coming to UC.

Reaction Score
Too bad Windsor's head coach Ken Smith wasn't younger. I would hire him in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
I want Pitino. Think of UCONN basketball as a patient dead on the guerney needing the paddles to jolt them back to life. Just listening this morning to sports radio WFAN describing the situation as not mattering who we hire because it will be many years if ever for us to come back to national relevence. This is the prevailing opinionout there, just listen. Even Pitino can’t do this in 1 season but he can probably get talent in here right away. Maybe get us at least back to being talked about. I admit it’s a huge risk that most don’t want to take but he coaches for a few years getting us back before a graceful retirement. It revives both us and him.
You can't fire a coach using "just cause" as an argument and then bring in Pitino.

Reaction Score
Watch out for this name (this is by no means an endorsement - I went to the Car Wash this morning)

Anthony Michael "Tony" Barbee (born August 10, 1971) is an American college basketball coach, and an assistant coach for the Kentucky Wildcats men's basketball program. He previously served as the head coach at Auburn and UTEP. Barbee led UTEP to a Conference USA championship in 2010 and was named Conference USA Coach of the Year. Barbee played college basketball for Massachusetts under John Calipari, winning two Atlantic 10 regular season and tournament championships in 1992 and 1993.

Biographical details
Born
(1971-08-10) August 10, 1971 (age 46)
Indianapolis, Indiana

Playing career
1989–1993
Massachusetts

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1995–1998
Massachusetts (GA/Asst.)
1998–1999 Wyoming (Asst.)
1999–2000 Massachusetts (Asst.)
2000–2006 Memphis (Asst.)
2006–2010 UTEP
2010–2014 Auburn
2014–2015 Kentucky (Spec. Asst.)
2015–present Kentucky (Asst.)

Head coaching record
Overall
131–127 (.508)
Tournaments 0–1 (NCAA)
3–2 (CBI)
0–4 (SEC)
4–4 (C-USA)

C-USA Coach of the Year (2010)

WTF

Reaction Score
You can't fire a coach using "just cause" as an argument and then bring in Pitino.

Yes you can.

I think I'm a Hurley guy for a range of reasons - good in the northeast, track record of being really successful, young, hungry, ambitious - great style of play... I think he fits the UConn 'brand' the best.

But I do think Pitino might be #2 for me. I think he's a scumbag, but I also think he's clearly, CLEARLY the best available coach out there. It's not even close. And he'll come at a discount, which I think you're stupid to not consider. And yeah, I think people would hate it at first, but they'd get over it really fast when the team is in the top 20 in 2 years after he gets here. Weird spot to be in where we'd have to be ok being the villain, but whatever. If the school is looking for that shock to the system and a bounce back hard and fast hire - he's it. And honestly, every top coach has baggage. Coach K has baggage. Williams has baggage. Izzo has baggage. Calipari is baggage. Self has baggage. They all do.

I def. think because Pitino is an option, that Crean probably isn't on my radar much. If you're going to take the 'formerly good head coach who needs a gig and will do it cheap' route - then if it's down to those two, I'd choose Pitino.

I do wonder though - if we'll see UConn perhaps try to court someone away.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I am not going to argue semantics and definitions of "big names". Certainly there are guys out there that will move the needle and guys that won't. Any coach from Vermont, Albany, La Tech and the likes is not the direction this program can afford to go at this time.

But a name isn't the most important thing. Quality is. You want the best coach, not the most known name. I mean, we're not going to pull a Top 20 coach from their school, and the coaches at all the schools below that aren't necessarily better than mid major coaches. Just get the most competent guy and roll the dice.

Not necessarily advocating for him, but Hurley is in a unique position of being up and coming...and having a name. One of the most well known in coaching circles.

Reaction Score
Yes you can.

I think I'm a Hurley guy for a range of reasons - good in the northeast, track record of being really successful, young, hungry, ambitious - great style of play... I think he fits the UConn 'brand' the best.

But I do think Pitino might be #2 for me. I think he's a scumbag, but I also think he's clearly, CLEARLY the best available coach out there. It's not even close. And he'll come at a discount, which I think you're stupid to not consider. And yeah, I think people would hate it at first, but they'd get over it really fast when the team is in the top 20 in 2 years after he gets here. Weird spot to be in where we'd have to be ok being the villain, but whatever. If the school is looking for that shock to the system and a bounce back hard and fast hire - he's it. And honestly, every top coach has baggage. Coach K has baggage. Williams has baggage. Izzo has baggage. Calipari is baggage. Self has baggage. They all do.

I def. think because Pitino is an option, that Crean probably isn't on my radar much. If you're going to take the 'formerly good head coach who needs a gig and will do it cheap' route - then if it's down to those two, I'd choose Pitino.

Agree to disagree on this. His hire alone by the way would probably lead to Calhoun's death within a week of the announcement.

Reaction Score
Agree to disagree on this. His hire alone by the way would probably lead to Calhoun's death within a week of the announcement.

Oh for sure. And a lot of people at UConn for that matter.

I wouldn't be enthusiastic. I do, however - think it would be sorta the realpolitik hire.

My dream scenario would probably be Billy Donovan. Lack of baggage, great coach, he'd be great. I just dunno if we could wait the playoff situation in OKC out.

Reaction Score
I still think he is not a bad choice though. His teams at times underachieved. I do think he could definitely recruit at uconn
He stunk and if it wasn't for his father he would have been canned a year or two earlier

Reaction Score
Too bad Windsor's head coach Ken Smith wasn't younger. I would hire him in a heartbeat.

That's hilarious. A turtle could have coached the athletes in winsdor to 20 wins a season. All the man does is press press and press some more. Kids are running a press is 4th grade rec because of him. Windsors freshman woyld beat 70% of varsity teams in this state.

He's good. Very good public hs coach. Not high major college coach material.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Surprised at the pitino support here. I need to think that over.

One of the problens in the NCAA in the last 15 years is lack of development of young coaches. Were seeing that here. Its an institutional problem

Reaction Score
Yes you can.

/QUOTE]

I have been a UCONN basketball fan for over 55 years and if UCONN hires Pitino, that's it for me. I will never root for UCONN again. Fortunately, there is Zero chance that they will do so.

Reaction Score
I came across this video from early in Calhoun's tenure.

Notice how Jim mentioned the quality of the conference as a big reason he came to UConn. Can we imagine Hurley saying this today? Do we even know if he would want this job?

Reaction Score

Notice how Jim mentioned the quality of the conference as a big reason he came to UConn. Can we imagine Hurley saying this today? Do we even know if he would want this job?

I agree. There is a disconnect. I’m still waiting for the ACC/Big battle over us.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Well, people in the media are saying he has interest. Apparently they're hearing it from someone credible enough to stake their name to.

Reaction Score
Yes you can.

Roy Williams and North Carolina used “ineligible” players for 15-20 years, way worse than Pitino.

Reaction Score
Becky Hammon would be a good choice, if we could get her.
Mentored by Pop. Well known name. Young enough to be a long term coach. As an NBA assistant would have credit with players.

Yeah, she's a woman. If the guys she's recruiting can't handle it (usually men's basketball players can, it's the fans that can't), we don't really want them anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom