Uconn’s next coach | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Uconn’s next coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Are you excluding Connecticut College?

Are you excluding that 99.9% of the people who know him hate his guts?

Are you being fair?

I'm not advocating for or against the guy, just stating his D-1 record. But if asked, I'd question why anyone would advocate hiring someone with a mediocre record.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
How long would it take him to earn and be stuck with the moniker "Tim Clueless"?

Better than this

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Rick Pitino recently was in the news saying he'd love to coach again. Do you guys think it'd be premature for UConn to hire him this offseason coming off his most recent allegations?

This will never happen. Look at his history with women and consider how quickly Nate Miles was shown the door and how many issues with hockey players were showcased at UConn a few years ago. And, remember Clyde Vaughn. I wish he'd grow a beard and change his name so we could hire a good big man coach again.

Reaction Score
I want Pitino. Think of UCONN basketball as a patient dead on the guerney needing the paddles to jolt them back to life. Just listening this morning to sports radio WFAN describing the situation as not mattering who we hire because it will be many years if ever for us to come back to national relevence. This is the prevailing opinionout there, just listen. Even Pitino can’t do this in 1 season but he can probably get talent in here right away. Maybe get us at least back to being talked about. I admit it’s a huge risk that most don’t want to take but he coaches for a few years getting us back before a graceful retirement. It revives both us and him.

Does he have a "show cause" yet, or is that still not decided? With UConn's history with the NCAA we don't need any more problems.

Reaction Score
He will win his arbitration and keep his job. The AD and the whole athletic department don't know what the hell they are doing. A bunch of idiots are running the athletic department at UConn.
Oh boy... Where to begin? First, you don’t know what you’re talking about. He cannot keep his job whether he wins the arbitration or not. I don’t know where you could possibly reach that conclusion. Further, him prevailing in arbitration would result only in receiving the compensation due under the remainder of his contract, not specific performance of a service. Lastly, the legal experts that have studied the contract and the facts have stated you could drive a Mack truck through the “for cause” provisions, and consequently the school and the administration have the upper hand. I’ve been a practicing attorney for 25 years and I would not be as audacious as to conclude whether he would win his arbitration, and therefore receive the compensation under the remainder of his contract.. But, the attorneys that have studied it (including the attorney consulted by the Courant) opined he probably would lose. But, under no event will Kevin Ollie be coaching at Connecticut. You sir, are uninformed and don’t know what you’re talking about.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Extensions at his salary level are not a significant barrier and we don't know if there's any buyout.

He's extended 5 years at approx $600k. Both Hurley's and Nate's previous contracts had buyouts of half the remainder of the deal. Figure that's a baseline. So at minimum, it's going to be about $1.5m. I'm guessing they bumped it up a bit but idrk.

From what I've read, it sounds like he wants to stay at Buffalo for awhile anyway. Wife has cancer and has been treating in Buffalo, so that's probably a factor.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Steve Pikiell makes the most sense. With JC controlling basketball ops. Also, Get Ray Allen involved more heavily in someway.

Reaction Score
I’m still surprised the job wasn’t posted yet. I would of expected it to be posted first thing unless we already know who it is and they will bypass the job posting

Reaction Score
I’m still surprised the job wasn’t posted yet. I would of expected it to be posted first thing unless we already know who it is and they will bypass the job posting

I'm waiting myself I want to try to get in early. Hoping Hurley gets to the FF so I have a legit shot at taking over. I will have a BY bench of assistants, win/win for the program.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This thread has some head scratchers. Here is an incomplete list of candidates by category.

No way in hell
Pitino (either of them)
Jim Calhoun
Hobbs
Donyell Marshall
Any other former player or coach who is not Pikiell

Tolerable but not exciting
Crean
Konkol
Becker
Pikiell
Schmidt
Amaker

Exciting but risky
Geno
Becky Hammon

Solid Choices
Dan Hurley
Kermit Davis
Musselman

Home Run
Donovan

I'm sure there are others.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I could see a brief JC reunion - he is involved in coaching and program development elsewhere right now anyway - so I don't think that's "Pitino no way in hell" level. Hurley makes the most sense imo

The first few pages of this thread gave me brain cancer btw

Reaction Score
Sure hope AD David Benedict reads this thread and heeds all the advice and wisdom on display

Reaction Score
Steve Pikiell makes the most sense. With JC controlling basketball ops. Also, Get Ray Allen involved more heavily in someway.

A guy coming off two straight losing seasons and last place finishes in the big 10, who also just got extended and has a massive buyout, and a retired NBA player with zero coaching or basketball administrative experience. We'll just direct you to this thread...

Please put your ludicrous head coach suggestions here ←←←

Reaction Score
Have we reached peak Boneyard? I think we’ve reached peak Boneyard.

Matta, Hobbs, Freeman, Calhoun w/Miller in waiting... lol.

I think Phil Jackson is available too, Phil will be the head coach while Kobe Bryant works as an assistant and coach in waiting for a few years.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Sure hope AD David Benedict reads this thread and heeds all the advice and wisdom on display

Don’t worry. I heard he is selecting the next coach solely based on fan opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom