Uconn’s next coach | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Uconn’s next coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My point is that at the elite levels - every single coach has a blemish. Even Calhoun. Some are worse than others. But this idea that to maintain elite status that we're going to be able to find a guy who's done that with a clean record is delusional. There's no such thing in today's college basketball landscape.

What I can't live with are coaches who get real politik about the state of the game and aren't accountable when they get caught. That's what I dislike intensely about Pitino. He thinks his you know what doesn't stink.

But he's also - clearly at that - the best possible, available coach we could get - and even affordably - out there. He's a slam dunk to turn around the program. You're stupid to not talk to him and kick tires. What people/how people react to him possibly getting the job or being here - i'm totally fine with. I wouldn't like it, but i'd get over it I feel when push comes to shove and I feel like that'd be the same for others. But I wouldn't blame - nor fault anyone for being done with the program after that. At all, really.

But he's worth a conversation and to boot - my secondary point is if we're going to talk Crean and not Pitino it's kind of silly. Pitino is a better option all the way around. Just him being available should make Crean an afterthought in my opinion.

That's me saying that all while feeling like Hurley is absolutely the best possible scenario for the program. If that all makes sense.

If we want to win, if winning is one of our big issues these last few years, then I agree you have to have Pitino in the mix. It would be irresponsible to ignore his skills. He’s an instant change maker.

Hurley seems solid but I don’t know if we get anything special. I feel like we get a coach and someone who knows how to run a program... but does he know how to run a championship program?

Reaction Score
I heard from a super solid source that b_ a_ s__ve__s was really curious.

# not certified

Reaction Score
I'm waiting myself I want to try to get in early. Hoping Hurley gets to the FF so I have a legit shot at taking over. I will have a BY bench of assistants, win/win for the program.

You know "Likes" will get you nowhere but I like your mentality. You think the earlier you get on my good side you may be on the bench with me huh @HuskyHawk and @UConnNick?

Reaction Score
So. If he is a good recruiter which I think he is, he will create new ties. Time for a clean break and a whole new look to UConn basketball. A young, dynamic coach can get us back to the pinnacle in men's bb. Hurley may be an improvement but there's more potential with this guy. This idea that we have to hire someone from the Northeast or with UConn connections is nonsense.
I don’t totally agree. That he not have UConn connection, absolutely. In fact probably best the he doesn’t at this point. But Northeastern ties I think are beneficial. I think you often see guys who are really good coaches struggle when they go out of region. There is something to be said for both having connections and understanding the culture of a place. I think Shaka Smart has had a hard time in Austin for that reason. And Fran MacCaffery who I loved at Siena has been less effective in the Midwest than he was in the east coast.

Reaction Score
If Calhoun is involved in any way, Its not going to be as an assistant coach. Pitino is not coming here and neither is Geno or Donovan.

I think if Benedict swings and misses on Hurley, whoever it is that would be option B will be a tough sell for the fanbase/alumni/donors. Thats when I can see JC coming in as HC with a coach in waiting. Maybe Benedict had private conversations with Calhoun already and they both came to this agreement if thats how the dominos fall.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You know "Likes" will get you nowhere but I like your mentality. You think the earlier you get on my good side you may be on the bench with me huh @HuskyHawk and @UConnNick?

I would like to be the offensive coordinator. Welcome to your new offensive system. Recruit accordingly. We will not have any trouble selling tickets. Every road game will be sold out as well.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
If Calhoun is involved in any way, Its not going to be as an assistant coach. Pitino is not coming here and neither is Geno or Donovan.

I think if Benedict swings and misses on Hurley, whoever it is that would be option B will be a tough sell for the fanbase/alumni/donors. Thats when I can see JC coming in as HC with a coach in waiting. Maybe Benedict had private conversations with Calhoun already and they both came to this agreement if thats how the dominos fall.
In the Calhoun plan, who picks the coach in waiting?

Reaction Score
Would UConn be more attractive to potential coaching prospects if UConn were in the Big East?

Reaction Score
Is Blaney still alive? I'm not suggesting him but maybe he could be of assistance in the search.

Reaction Score
I don’t totally agree. That he not have UConn connection, absolutely. In fact probably best the he doesn’t at this point. But Northeastern ties I think are beneficial. I think you often see guys who are really good coaches struggle when they go out of region. There is something to be said for both having connections and understanding the culture of a place. I think Shaka Smart has had a hard time in Austin for that reason. And Fran MacCaffery who I loved at Siena has been less effective in the Midwest than he was in the east coast.

I think a good young coach with the right personality, approach and work ethic can overcome the fact that he may not have roots in the northeast, especially with the UConn name behind him.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Steve Pikiell makes the most sense. With JC controlling basketball ops. Also, Get Ray Allen involved more heavily in someway.

Did well at Stony Brook. Done nothing at Rutgers. Has an EXORBITANT buyout. Not happening.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Hope Nick is a "Bigs" coach :eek: if he is he has a shot of sitting next to you.

cough cough

Husky just needs to turn it over to the guy who lived as an undersized center his whole life. Meaning i know how to move the defensive shell and use my body to get points on O.

@HuskyHawk , I'm starting the #HireQ twitter campaign shortly.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Hope Nick is a "Bigs" coach :eek: if he is he has a shot of sitting next to you.

I found myself pondering offensive basketball the other night, and it occurred to me that in the age of metrics, where Kerr and Stevens and others are trying to generate efficient shots, with a higher point per attempt ratio, just how much of what Westhead was doing all those years ago comes into play. He was way ahead of his time. With Westhead, a high % 3 point shooter who was on the break, was encouraged to stop and take the open three. Nobody else was doing that. Most fun teams in the history of ever.

Bring in any bigs you want as long as they can run and finish on the break. No plodders need apply. If we get Cobb in shape, he will thrive in this system. So will Williams and Diarra. They'll each average several dunks a game. Adams was born to play in this offense.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I found myself pondering offensive basketball the other night, and it occurred to me that in the age of metrics, where Kerr and Stevens and others are trying to generate efficient shots, with a higher point per attempt ratio, just how much of what Westhead was doing all those years ago comes into play. He was way ahead of his time. With Westhead, a high % 3 point shooter who was on the break, was encouraged to stop and take the open three. Nobody else was doing that. Most fun teams in the history of ever.

Bring in any bigs you want as long as they can run and finish on the break. No plodders need apply. If we get Cobb in shape, he will thrive in this system. So will Williams and Diarra. They'll each average several dunks a game. Adams was born to play in this offense.

Whaley can run the floor too.

but we gotta get them all to learn how to just go up and slam it home.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Whaley can run the floor too.

but we gotta get them all to learn how to just go up and slam it home.

If you are over 6'2" and within four feet of the rim, you dunk.

Reaction Score
If you are over 6'2" and within four feet of the rim, you dunk.
I am hoping our trend of missing 4-5 easy layups per game is now over. This year wasn't as bad as previous, at least

Reaction Score
Becky Hammon would be a good choice, if we could get her.
Mentored by Pop. Well known name. Young enough to be a long term coach. As an NBA assistant would have credit with players.

Yeah, she's a woman. If the guys she's recruiting can't handle it (usually men's basketball players can, it's the fans that can't), we don't really want them anyway.
I feel like recruits would be intrigued and would be happy to take it on and play for her

Reaction Score
Sean Miller to Pitt looks like a very legit possibility. Romar just left Arizona to be HC at Pepperdine.

Would completely open the door for Hurley to UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom