Uconn’s next coach | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Uconn’s next coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
I like Karl, but he seems like a 'safe' choice. He's got a decent HC resume, but not enough ceiling imo. Low risk, not enough potential reward. I think we need to take a risk on a guy with potential high upside. If you told me Hobbs for AHC, I'd be interested.

I'd don't really want to fill out the entire staff with UCONN guys again though. One is fine, but a whole staff just creates problems. Maybe two, depending on guys. I'd take Moore and Hobbs as assistants, but that's not happening.

I respect that. He's better than Hurley

Reaction Score
Hand-picking the current HC and preventing the AD from executing a comprehensive, nationwide search?

His handpicked guy won a National Championship in his 2nd year. You’re welcome.

If you want someone to blame 2015 and beyond on, start with Kevin Ollie. If you want to blame the buyout situation, Dave Benedict is Public Enemy #1 for that.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

If you want someone to blame 2015 and beyond on, start with Kevin Ollie. If you want to blame the buyout situation, Dave Benedict is Public Enemy #1 for that.

A page ago, you argued that the 2014 title was won "with [Calhoun]'s recruits." If that were the case, would his "handpicked guy" have really made a difference? Couldn't an outside hire have gotten the same results from players whose development you claim JC is responsible for?

I do agree fully with your last point re. Benedict though.

Reaction Score
A page ago, you argued that the 2014 title was won "with [Calhoun]'s recruits." If that were the case, would his "handpicked guy" have really made a difference? Couldn't an outside hire have gotten the same results from players whose development you claim JC is responsible for?

I do agree fully with your last point re. Benedict though.
They were (at least the major players) his recruits. He brought that talent to UConn. Is that somehow up for debate? Shabazz, DeAndre, Niels, Ryan came to UConn to play for Jim Calhoun. I said nothing about JC developing them and I give Kevin Ollie full credit for coaching them to a National Championship. What am I missing?

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Eric Konkol sounds like he would be a great choice. I don't think Hurley is the answer. Might only be marginally better than Ollie. I think a Konkol coached team would be good defensively and fun to watch offensively. And I think he would be a good recruiter and return UConn to the pinnacle. Time for an entirely new face anxious to build his own legacy here with his own style. He's an up and coming coach seemingly ready to step up to the big stage. Make it happen DB.
Have you looked at Konkols record this year?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
They were (at least the major players) his recruits. He brought that talent to UConn. Is that somehow up for debate? Shabazz, DeAndre, Niels, Ryan came to UConn to play for Jim Calhoun. I said nothing about JC developing them and I give Kevin Ollie full credit for coaching them to a National Championship. What am I missing?

Just wondering...what actions are you referring to? The ‘09 Final Four? The ‘11 Big East Championship? The ‘11 National Championship? The ‘14 National Championship with his recruits?

I took this phrase to mean that you felt Calhoun should've gotten the credit for that title. My apologies for misconstruing it if that wasn't the case.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
All of this “pinnacle” talk is wishful thinking, as is the idea that regional recruiting ties can be pulled out of thin air on the fly. They’re the result of carefully crafted relationships that coaches spend years working on and building for up.

Which is why choice of all assistants is critical.

Something we don't discuss often, but I'd like as full a compliment of top shelf assistants as possible. The guys at the end of the bench should have significant experience/ties as possible.

Reaction Score
No matter what happens we need to make some kind of change, if the buyout proves prohibitive I'd still prefer we give Ricky Moore or Freeman a shot next year over the current situation.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

That's the killer sticking piece of all of this too.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I'd take that 2014 NC over having respectable seasons the last few years. Those NCs are so, so rare. Especially when looked in concert with what the program was facing at the time. That was a truly special (and needed).

But the buyout is complicating this process immensely. Perhaps even limiting what we can offer going forward.

Reaction Score
That's the killer sticking piece of all of this too.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I'd take that 2014 NC over having respectable seasons the last few years. Those NCs are so, so rare. Especially when looked in concert with what the program was facing at the time. That was a truly special (and needed).

But the buyout is complicating this process immensely. Perhaps even limiting what we can offer going forward.

This particular buyout represents a level of ineptitude that may sting UConn athletics for a long, long time. A buyout in general is standard practice these days. But to have given this buyout to Kevin Ollie in December of 2016 was borderline negligent. He wasn’t in such demand that the university “had”to be so generous. He had “arguably” underachieved despite making the tournament the year prior. And there were still questions about whether he could succeed on his own. Nevermind that the school KNEW that it didn’t have the money to pay him should it wish to get rid of him in a couple of years/if the questions about his coaching and ability proved to be real. It’s really an all-world dumb move by a 1st time AD and a UConn novice (suggesting here that $10m “problems” aren’t as easy to manage at UConn as they are at Auburn). Benedict is on the hook for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom