Uconn’s next coach | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Uconn’s next coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I honestly don't want to see Coach Jim taking over a difficult situation that he easily could have turned around in a few years at a different stage in his career. Why put him through it and risk any of the polish coming off a HOF career? Instant credibility but other programs will be recruiting against a limited time horizon. I just don't see anything other than loyalty to the program bringing Jim back, but hopeful he is consulting with the AD as we speak.
I don't care what the immediate implications are of Calhoun coming back. If it's a possibility, do it. Unless there's a better long term solution immediately in place.
It would bring some much needed buzz and sizzle back to the program.

Reaction Score
Eric Konkol sounds like he would be a great choice. I don't think Hurley is the answer. Might only be marginally better than Ollie. I think a Konkol coached team would be good defensively and fun to watch offensively. And I think he would be a good recruiter and return UConn to the pinnacle. Time for an entirely new face anxious to build his own legacy here with his own style. He's an up and coming coach seemingly ready to step up to the big stage. Make it happen DB.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Eric Konkol sounds like he would be a great choice. I don't think Hurley is the answer. Might only be marginally better than Ollie. I think a Konkol coached team would be good defensively and fun to watch offensively. And I think he would be a good recruiter and return UConn to the pinnacle. Time for an entirely new face anxious to build his own legacy here with his own style. He's an up and coming coach seemingly ready to step up to the big stage. Make it happen DB.
He doesn't have of a track record. Was he even a head coach before Louisiana Tech?

Reaction Score
He doesn't have of a track record. Was he even a head coach before Louisiana Tech?

His assistant coaching resume is strong with experience in good programs under good mentors and he's done a good job as head coach at La Tech. I like the fact that he seems to be able to develop young players. I would rather see UConn take a chance on a young guy like Konkol than a guy like Hurley. I think his ceiling is higher.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
His assistant coaching resume is strong with experience in good programs under good mentors and he's done a good job as head coach at La Tech. I like the fact that he seems to be able to develop young players. I would rather see UConn take a chance on a young guy like Konkol than a guy like Hurley. I think his ceiling is higher.
Not sure. I think I'd like a longer track record.

Reaction Score
Konkol has no ties to the north east though

Reaction Score
Calhoun as HC. Glen Miller as Assistant. Glen takes over in 2 years. Hmmm.....
Hurley brings Moore with him. Steal Hobbs from Rutgers Add another good recruiter or go and bring back another one of old assistants like Sellers or Lafleur. I think those guys played a role in getting some of the guys in the Kemba era. Sellers has some baggage but I would be willing to give him a second chance.

Reaction Score
We could try and nab Becky Hammons before CSU grabs her. That would get some headlines.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Watch out for this name (this is by no means an endorsement - I went to the Car Wash this morning)

Anthony Michael "Tony" Barbee (born August 10, 1971) is an American college basketball coach, and an assistant coach for the Kentucky Wildcats men's basketball program. He previously served as the head coach at Auburn and UTEP. Barbee led UTEP to a Conference USA championship in 2010 and was named Conference USA Coach of the Year. Barbee played college basketball for Massachusetts under John Calipari, winning two Atlantic 10 regular season and tournament championships in 1992 and 1993.

Biographical details
Born
(1971-08-10) August 10, 1971 (age 46)
Indianapolis, Indiana

Playing career
1989–1993
Massachusetts

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1995–1998
Massachusetts (GA/Asst.)
1998–1999 Wyoming (Asst.)
1999–2000 Massachusetts (Asst.)
2000–2006 Memphis (Asst.)
2006–2010 UTEP
2010–2014 Auburn
2014–2015 Kentucky (Spec. Asst.)
2015–present Kentucky (Asst.)

Head coaching record
Overall
131–127 (.508)
Tournaments 0–1 (NCAA)
3–2 (CBI)
0–4 (SEC)
4–4 (C-USA)

C-USA Coach of the Year (2010)

Reaction Score
Konkol has no ties to the north east though
So. If he is a good recruiter which I think he is, he will create new ties. Time for a clean break and a whole new look to UConn basketball. A young, dynamic coach can get us back to the pinnacle in men's bb. Hurley may be an improvement but there's more potential with this guy. This idea that we have to hire someone from the Northeast or with UConn connections is nonsense.

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
If KO
Hurley brings Moore with him. Steal Hobbs from Rutgers Add another good recruiter or go and bring back another one of old assistants like Sellers or Lafleur. I think those guys played a role in getting some of the guys in the Kemba era. Sellers has some baggage but I would be willing to give him a second chance.

Why would Hobbs want to coach under Hurley when his resume is better? The better choice if KO is let go is Hobbs w/ Scott Burrell and retain Chillous.
Hobbs is proven already . Burrell has experience now and has a better pro resume
than KO with a ring. Plus he played with the
GOAT . Chillous gets time to actually recruit. That's a far better staff than the others that were mentioned.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
If KO

Why would Hobbs want to coach under Hurley when his resume is better? If the better choice if KO is let go is

Hobbs w/ Scott Burrell and retain Chillous.
Hobbs is proven already . Burrell has experience now and has a better pro resume
GOAT . Chillous gets time to actually recruit. That's a far better staff than the others that were mentioned.

Oats plus chill is one that works for me. Oats seems like a real rising star.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I honestly don't want to see Coach Jim taking over a difficult situation that he easily could have turned around in a few years at a different stage in his career. Why put him through it and risk any of the polish coming off a HOF career? Instant credibility but other programs will be recruiting against a limited time horizon. I just don't see anything other than loyalty to the program bringing Jim back, but hopeful he is consulting with the AD as we speak.
Absolutely love JC
BUT some of his actions started the downward spiral
His hands are not clean in this situation

Reaction Score
Absolutely love JC
BUT some of his actions started the downward spiral
His hands are not clean in this situation
Just wondering...what actions are you referring to? The ‘09 Final Four? The ‘11 Big East Championship? The ‘11 National Championship? The ‘14 National Championship with his recruits?

And if you say the APR mess, you don’t understand the facts behind that. So where in the name of Walt Dropo are his hands dirty in the current state of the program?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

What does his resume say about his ceiling being higher specifically? I know nothing about them in detail, but they seem to have fallen off. Perhaps he took over a Mike White coached team, and now they are going to slide, a la Ollie. Hurley has resurrected 2 programs, and is has one of the more respected coaching names in highschool/college basketball.

Not advocating Hurley, just comparing resumes.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If KO

Why would Hobbs want to coach under Hurley when his resume is better? If the better choice if KO is let go is

Hobbs w/ Scott Burrell and retain Chillous.

I like Karl, but he seems like a 'safe' choice. He's got a decent HC resume, but not enough ceiling imo. Low risk, not enough potential reward. I think we need to take a risk on a guy with potential high upside. If you told me Hobbs for AHC, I'd be interested.

I'd don't really want to fill out the entire staff with UCONN guys again though. One is fine, but a whole staff just creates problems. Maybe two, depending on guys. I'd take Moore and Hobbs as assistants, but that's not happening.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Just wondering...what actions are you referring to? The ‘09 Final Four? The ‘11 Big East Championship? The ‘11 National Championship? The ‘14 National Championship with his recruits?

And if you say the APR mess, you don’t understand the facts behind that. So where in the name of Walt Dropo are his hands dirty in the current state of the program?

Hand-picking the current HC and preventing the AD from executing a comprehensive, nationwide search?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
All of this “pinnacle” talk is wishful thinking, as is the idea that regional recruiting ties can be pulled out of thin air on the fly. They’re the result of carefully crafted relationships that coaches spend years working on and building for up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom