Uconn’s next coach | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Uconn’s next coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From UConn's standpoint, getting Dan Hurley would be fantastic. He's an excellent coach and UConn gives him a national brand where he can win championships. I know the AAC is not the ACC, but even despite recent struggles the UConn job is still very attractive. Could be a great fit...if he's interested.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Sean Miller to Pitt looks like a very legit possibility. Romar just left Arizona to be HC at Pepperdine.
Would completely open the door for Hurley to UConn.

Why do you think that would that happen? If he's guilty of something, he's gonna have show cause, which makes it a difficult hire. If not, Arizona isn't firing him.

Reaction Score
Why do you think that would that happen? If he's guilty of something, he's gonna have show cause, which makes it a difficult hire. If not, Arizona isn't firing him.
I’m not saying they’ll fire him, but I think he could just leave before the storm hits. Calipari has done the same thing in the past. I doubt he’ll have show cause personally.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I've seen a bit of smoke to Thad Matta to Pitt.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
You know "Likes" will get you nowhere but I like your mentality. You think the earlier you get on my good side you may be on the bench with me huh @HuskyHawk and @UConnNick?

You finally admit you suffer from multiple personality disorder by talking to yourself on this forum, mau. That's commendable, and your first step on the road to recovery. ;)

UConnNick

Reaction Score
LOL you realized you quoted yourself, right?

Of course mau knows he quoted himself. He's not crazy, just two different personalities in one. This is the kind of inspired leadership UCONN needs.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Hope Nick is a "Bigs" coach :eek: if he is he has a shot of sitting next to you.

I have coached BB, but all I can say about being a "bigs" coach is I myself am a big, so I can relate by being halfway there already. My coaching philosophy is to do anything and everything, legal or otherwise, to gain an advantage over your opponents. I will have Nike design uniform shorts with concealed pockets, where players can carry brass knuckles for use in certain situations. We may be smaller than some opponents, but we're gonna find ways to even things up.

Reaction Score
I found myself pondering offensive basketball the other night, and it occurred to me that in the age of metrics, where Kerr and Stevens and others are trying to generate efficient shots, with a higher point per attempt ratio, just how much of what Westhead was doing all those years ago comes into play. He was way ahead of his time. With Westhead, a high % 3 point shooter who was on the break, was encouraged to stop and take the open three. Nobody else was doing that. Most fun teams in the history of ever.

Bring in any bigs you want as long as they can run and finish on the break. No plodders need apply. If we get Cobb in shape, he will thrive in this system. So will Williams and Diarra. They'll each average several dunks a game. Adams was born to play in this offense.

Westhead ran a fun offense, but I think the only two guys that crossed the defensive half court was the inbounder and the guard to engage the fast break. If his team was hot, they could put up 120

Reaction Score
I’m not saying they’ll fire him, but I think he could just leave before the storm hits. Calipari has done the same thing in the past. I doubt he’ll have show cause personally.
Calipari was leaving for better programs. Pitt is a big downgrade from AZ.

Reaction Score
In the Calhoun plan, who picks the coach in waiting?
I would say Benedict has to have the final word on that. The whole coach in waiting thing can get a little crazy though. I remember when Calhoun was still coaching, people here brought up naming a coach in waiting and it was said that since its a state job, It could not be officially done. All that matters is what is told to recruits since the whole coach in waiting is done specifically so recruiting does not get hurt.

Reaction Score
Would UConn be more attractive to potential coaching prospects if UConn were in the Big East?
Its possible, but as we all know, money talks. If UConn is willing to pay a head coach good $$$, it will be an attractive job for a lot of people. I just think it will be a tough sell for the fanbase if they strike out on Hurley or any other top targets and have to settle. With the way things are now, I think UConn needs to hire somebody with D1 coaching experience that has already shown they can recruit and make the NCAA Tournament.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Its possible, but as we all know, money talks. If UConn is willing to pay a head coach good $$$, it will be an attractive job for a lot of people. I just think it will be a tough sell for the fanbase if they strike out on Hurley or any other top targets and have to settle. With the way things are now, I think UConn needs to hire somebody with D1 coaching experience that has already shown they can recruit and make the NCAA Tournament.

Oats and Hurley and both obvious there. As is tj otzelberger

Reaction Score
This guy is still around...

C83F55ED-D425-42FD-B49B-9EBC548630C8.jpeg

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Oh boy... Where to begin? First, you don’t know what you’re talking about. He cannot keep his job whether he wins the arbitration or not. I don’t know where you could possibly reach that conclusion. Further, him prevailing in arbitration would result only in receiving the compensation due under the remainder of his contract, not specific performance of a service. Lastly, the legal experts that have studied the contract and the facts have stated you could drive a Mack truck through the “for cause” provisions, and consequently the school and the administration have the upper hand. I’ve been a practicing attorney for 25 years and I would not be as audacious as to conclude whether he would win his arbitration, and therefore receive the compensation under the remainder of his contract.. But, the attorneys that have studied it (including the attorney consulted by the Courant) opined he probably would lose. But, under no event will Kevin Ollie be coaching at Connecticut. You sir, are uninformed and don’t know what you’re talking about.

And you sir are no omnipotent all knowing being either. Get your nose out of the clouds trying to brag about being an attorney. You must have a superiority complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom