U17 and U18 recruiting target observations | Page 48 | The Boneyard

U17 and U18 recruiting target observations

Reaction Score
"Considering the attention..." I though was the most important part of Slu post. Moriah was more like Batman with Morgan being Robin & Stewie being Superwoman. I'm not even sure there is another D1 prospect playing in William's HS conference, so double teams and even triple were likely.

Recently had a long conversation with the father of a top 50 Hoopgurlz high schooler who shall remain nameless, I can say that he has read this forum with great amusement and awe...........he made it very clear that high school statistics are somewhat meaningless when it comes to college recruiting.........said that there are players averaging 10 points a game that scouts are incredibly high on while some 25 point per game high school stars have simply no chance making it at the highest level.........while AAU is rightfully criticized, he said recruiters do value what they learn about players when playing against equally talented opponents.......coaches visit high school games as much as a show of interest or support as to learn anything new about the recruits.................BTW while both father and daughter are big UConn fans, UConn has not shown much interest in his daughter...............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Recently had a long conversation with the father of a top 50 Hoopgurlz high schooler who shall remain nameless, I can say that he has read this forum with great amusement and awe......he made it very clear that high school statistics are somewhat meaningless when it comes to college recruiting....said that there are players averaging 10 points a game that scouts are incredibly high on while some 25 point per game high school stars have simply no chance making it at the highest level....while AAU is rightfully criticized, he said recruiters do value what they learn about players when playing against equally talented opponents..coaches visit high school games as much as a show of interest or support as to learn anything new about the recruits.......BTW while both father and daughter are big UConn fans, UConn has not shown much interest in his daughter.....
How recently did you have this conversation? I'm really surprised that you did not know all of this before that conversation. A HS player is not going to get on UCONN's radar without putting up numbers. There are several levels to D1 basketball, including a level where 10PPG might be more than enough to get a scholarship.

Reaction Score
How recently did you have this conversation? I'm really surprised that you did not know all of this before that conversation. A HS player is not going to get on UCONN's radar without putting up numbers. There are several levels to D1 basketball, including a level where 10PPG might be more than enough to get a scholarship.

You misread what I wrote..........he said that there are currently two players who averaged 10 points or less that are high DI locks while he mentioned a girl who averaged 25 point per game who will be a mid major player at best...........that conversation took place yesterday

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You misread what I wrote.....he said that there are currently two players averaging 10 points or less that are high DI locks while he mentioned a girl averaging 25 point per game who will be a mid major player at best......
I got it the first time I'm just surprised that you "seem" surprised by this or that is new news. I would be willing to bet that relative size @ the position is probably the biggest difference maker in the interest among the players you are describing.

Reaction Score
I got it the first time I'm just surprised that you "seem" surprised by this or that is new news. I would be willing to bet that relative size @ the position is probably the biggest difference maker in the interest among the players you are describing.

one's a guard the other a forward neither over 6'1"

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Recently had a long conversation with the father of a top 50 Hoopgurlz high schooler who shall remain nameless, I can say that he has read this forum with great amusement and awe......he made it very clear that high school statistics are somewhat meaningless when it comes to college recruiting....said that there are players averaging 10 points a game that scouts are incredibly high on while some 25 point per game high school stars have simply no chance making it at the highest level....while AAU is rightfully criticized, he said recruiters do value what they learn about players when playing against equally talented opponents..coaches visit high school games as much as a show of interest or support as to learn anything new about the recruits.......BTW while both father and daughter are big UConn fans, UConn has not shown much interest in his daughter.....
Very interesting information about the view from the other side of the equation for recruits and families.

Could you expand a little more on the amusement and awe - that is quite a wide range of reaction, and just curious what would trigger both those responses in a single sentence.

Reaction Score
Very interesting information about the view from the other side of the equation for recruits and families.

Could you expand a little more on the amusement and awe - that is quite a wide range of reaction, and just curious what would trigger both those responses in a single sentence.

He apparently was familiar with a number of other team forums as a WBB fan and when comparing said that the Boneyard had a much, much higher level of fan intensity...... clearly UConn had the most "enthusiastic" fans and at the same time was taken back by how upset many folks got when a player performed poorly or when the team didn't win by huge margins..............nothing that we didn't already know..............just funny to hear it from an outsider..........

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Not that incredible - they are the percentages of a decent three point shooter with the ability to slash to the glass against HS defenses. Moriah and Saniya I suspect put up those percentages in HS and Moriah exceeded them as a junior in college .587/.496/.843.

You seen Megan Walker's percentages?

With the amount of shots Williams has to take and the lack of help she has on her team 58% is incredible, especially for a perimeter player. How could anyone feel otherwise?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Mykasa Robinson, PG from Kentucky, withdrew her commitment from Colorado. She's rated #13 overall in Hoopgurlz and #19 in Prospects Nation.

Raoul‏ @Raoul_000 13h13 hours ago
Raoul Retweeted Kentucky Premier

Mykasa Robinson (KY-2018) reopens recruitment; among the other schools she had considered: Kentucky, Louisville, Arizona, Michigan St., UCLA

Raoul added,

Kentucky Premier @KentuckyPremier
Premier Update 2018 MyKasa Robinson has decommitted from Colorado and reopened her recruitment. @mykasa_baller23 @M_rob11
0 replies0 retweets2 likes

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
How recently did you have this conversation? I'm really surprised that you did not know all of this before that conversation. A HS player is not going to get on UConn's radar without putting up numbers. There are several levels to D1 basketball, including a level where 10PPG might be more than enough to get a scholarship.
A HS player could easily get on UConn's radar without big numbers. Saniya Chong got on the radar when Ossining played Christ the King and the CK coach called Geno. Numerous times the assistants have gone to watch one player and were impressed with another.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A HS player could easily get on UConn's radar without big numbers. Saniya Chong got on the radar when Ossining played Christ the King and the CK coach called Geno. Numerous times the assistants have gone to watch one player and were impressed with another.
I think I understand your point but Saniya is a really really bad example because she was the definition of big numbers. Her HS CAREER 30.8 PPG: 7.4 APG, 5.1 Steals PG.
Saniya Chong's High School Girls Basketball Stats

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Molly might be a good example of this.

Reaction Score
I think Mikayla Coombs might work as an example.......if I'm not mistaken she only averaged about 16 points and maybe 7 rebounds per game............something that perhaps thousands of other kids do in high school each year............it's really all about how they do it that counts.............

Reaction Score
Not really, Molly put big numbers in HS also.

"Molly’s high school career started at Barnstable, where she averaged 27 points, 8 rebounds, and 6 assists per game. "

Former Barnstable basketball star Molly Bent adjusts to new school

However her stats for her last 3 years at a prep school remain a mystery since the coach never posts box scores and the articles written for the school's web site never mention any individual stats.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom