U17 and U18 recruiting target observations | The Boneyard

U17 and U18 recruiting target observations

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Prentice Beverly

Megan Walker – 6-1 – Guard Chesterfield, VA

Walker reminded everyone taking in the USAB U18 Trials why she is considered the number one player in the country regardless of class. Walker was lighting it up from every angle imaginable. She was consistently elevating and stroking the midrange jumper. When Walking wasn’t knocking down her smooth jump shots, she was attacking off the bounce and finishing at the rack. Defensively, Walker was locking down her opponent causing havoc. It’s going to be hard keeping the nations top player off the USAB U18 roster.

USA Basketball U18 Trials Day 1 - Bluestar Media

Samantha Brunelle – 2019 – 6-2 – Forward – Ruckersville, Virginia

This young forward has already established herself among the elite in her class and her play so far in Colorado Springs is backing up that status. Sporting a combination of size, skills and instincts, Brunelle has the versatility that helps coaches at the next level sleep at night. A smooth stroke with a soft touch from deep forces defenders to be there on the catch. She’s shown some impressive drives off a deceptive shot fake and handles herself well on the way to the rim. Her movement in transition as well as on the cut in the halfcourt is fluid and with intent. As she matures physically and adds strength good things may turn into great results.

Charli Collier – 2018 – 6-4 – Post – Mont Belvieu, Texas

The evolution in Collier’s game continues and it’s producing results for the Texas native. A more focused effort in the low post has made her much more effective and created opportunities not only for herself but for teammates as well. Her ability to read situations and defenders is improving each time out. Her choices in both attacks and passing are quicker and more efficient than ever before. She’s finding looks both baseline side as well as into the middle and traffic. Collier will still take the perimeter look when it presents itself but is much more selective as to how to mix it into her offensive repertoire.

Christyn Williams – 2018 –5-9 – Guard – Little Rock, Arkansas

An athletic and strong guard, Williams has the attack that challenges any defender in transition or halfcourt sets. The lefthander is quick on the catch and has the acceleration with the ball to leave her match up scrambling to recover. Her ballhandling has a mix of changes as well as a step back that creates lines to the rim or separation for her jumper. Off the drive she can take it all the way to the rim but also elevates for a pull up on a dime. There’s no reservation on her part about taking it among the bigs and she’s productive on the shot, pass or getting to the line.

http://www.bluestarmedia.org/10665-2/

Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be something if they all agreed to go to the same place together? No, not UConn or any other super-duper major power, but some place a little under the radar with a great coach, like, say, DePaul? Won't happen, of course, but would be a very fun shake-up.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Fuller piece on Charli Collier and Aquira DeCosta:

"I am basically open to everybody," Collier said. "I talked to UConn, Notre Dame, Texas, Baylor and all of them and they all want me so it is all going to come down to where I feel comfortable with the coaches and my teammates. I will be there my whole four years, I don't want to be in a situation where I need to redshirt or transfer, I want to be at a school where I will be at a school for all four years and it will make me a better player.

"I talked to Coach (Marisa) Moseley, I talked to Geno (Auriemma) a few weeks back. They are recruiting me and their relationship with me is growing.

UConn is not only involved recruiting Collier, the No. 1 player on ESPN's Class of 2018 rankings, but No. 2 ranked Christyn Williams has already visited UConn. The Huskies have shown some interest in No. 6 Aquira DeCosta and Honesty Scott-Grayson (although most of the interaction with her came in the fall). According to Carl Adamec, who is out in Colorado Springs for the trials, No. 5 ranked Sedona Prince intends to visit UConn during its First Night festivities.

The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville: Family ties are strong for UConn recruiting target Charli Collier

Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be something if they all agreed to go to the same place together? No, not UConn or any other super-duper major power, but some place a little under the radar with a great coach, like, say, DePaul? Won't happen, of course, but would be a very fun shake-up.
Delaware? Lol

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
More of the quote from Charli:

I try to keep in touch every now and then. It is pretty cool talking to a legendary coach like that. Not only is he a good coach but he gives good advice to me going forward as a sophomore.

Every now and then? ;)

Sam Brunelle has a 4.25 GPA. Yikes!

I think it's great that we are getting and recruiting kids from the Lone Star State, but I hope we have success in the Old Dominion as well. Megan Walker and Sam Brunelle will be great players in college.

Reaction Score
Prentice Beverly

Megan Walker – 6-1 – Guard Chesterfield, VA

Walker reminded everyone taking in the USAB U18 Trials why she is considered the number one player in the country regardless of class. Walker was lighting it up from every angle imaginable. She was consistently elevating and stroking the midrange jumper. When Walking wasn’t knocking down her smooth jump shots, she was attacking off the bounce and finishing at the rack. Defensively, Walker was locking down her opponent causing havoc. It’s going to be hard keeping the nations top player off the USAB U18 roster.

USA Basketball U18 Trials Day 1 - Bluestar Media

Samantha Brunelle – 2019 – 6-2 – Forward – Ruckersville, Virginia

This young forward has already established herself among the elite in her class and her play so far in Colorado Springs is backing up that status. Sporting a combination of size, skills and instincts, Brunelle has the versatility that helps coaches at the next level sleep at night. A smooth stroke with a soft touch from deep forces defenders to be there on the catch. She’s shown some impressive drives off a deceptive shot fake and handles herself well on the way to the rim. Her movement in transition as well as on the cut in the halfcourt is fluid and with intent. As she matures physically and adds strength good things may turn into great results.

Charli Collier – 2018 – 6-4 – Post – Mont Belvieu, Texas

The evolution in Collier’s game continues and it’s producing results for the Texas native. A more focused effort in the low post has made her much more effective and created opportunities not only for herself but for teammates as well. Her ability to read situations and defenders is improving each time out. Her choices in both attacks and passing are quicker and more efficient than ever before. She’s finding looks both baseline side as well as into the middle and traffic. Collier will still take the perimeter look when it presents itself but is much more selective as to how to mix it into her offensive repertoire.

Christyn Williams – 2018 –5-9 – Guard – Little Rock, Arkansas

An athletic and strong guard, Williams has the attack that challenges any defender in transition or halfcourt sets. The lefthander is quick on the catch and has the acceleration with the ball to leave her match up scrambling to recover. Her ballhandling has a mix of changes as well as a step back that creates lines to the rim or separation for her jumper. Off the drive she can take it all the way to the rim but also elevates for a pull up on a dime. There’s no reservation on her part about taking it among the bigs and she’s productive on the shot, pass or getting to the line.

Hearing Footsteps – The Battle For the U17 Roster – Bluestar Media

Is the review that according to the above evaluator that Megan Walker is considered even better than the class of players one year older than her?

There was a poster named something liked "skilled up" he thought Young was better and overall the way he reviewed her - he wasn't that impressed. And I guess the 41% shooting % this past year in High School means little.

Reaction Score
Is the review that according to the above evaluator that Megan Walker is considered even better than the class of players one year older than her?

There was a poster named something liked "skilled up" he thought Young was better and overall the way he reviewed her - he wasn't that impressed. And I guess the 41% shooting % this past year in High School means little.

One thing you need to learn; never take anything a Notre Dame fan says seriously! Young was not even rated in the top 10. Who would you rather have in the 2016 class Young or Dangerfield?

Reaction Score
One thing you need to learn; never take anything a Notre Dame fan says seriously! Young was not even rated in the top 10. Who would you rather have in the 2016 class Young or Dangerfield?

Can I have both of them? That would be some back court...........don't sell Young short, she is going to be an impact player for ND and a royal pain in the you know what for UConn and everybody else...........

Reaction Score
Can I have both of them? That would be some back court......don't sell Young short, she is going to be an impact player for ND and a royal pain in the you know what for UConn and everybody else......

You can say the same thing about Dangerfield and Megan Walker(if UCONN is lucky enough to get her)!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I would love to see Bruno finally get some real talent.

Reaction Score
jade.williams ‏@jadeswilliams25 7h7 hours ago
Even though I didn't make the finalists, still proud of my little sis. Better represent and bring home gold!
Charli Collier™
CjtgytcUoAAYGlk.jpg

8 retweets43 likes

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting comments, and interesting that this is the first USA trial he has been to - especially after his harsh criticism last year.

I think he is wrong about the 'criteria' and the 'random committee composition' - I think USA basketball has fairly consistent selection criteria and a rotating pool of people involved with USA that serve on selection committees. Lawson has been the player for two or thee years at least - the coaches also get rotated through. I would say the 'evaluators' in whom I would include Kenny are a bit more random and a lot more biased. I do think there may be a little too much reliance on performance in the early days of the trial - as he says, if you get matched up with incompatible players once the 5 on 5 starts you could be in early trouble, where your previous year of work has shown you to be 'better than that'. Once it gets down to 40 the head to head competition is I am sure more telling and a better evaluation.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I understand that it's a blog and I do appreciate KK's opinions. However, he's in serious need for either a remedial writing course or an editor/proof reader.
I agree. That was kind of hard to read.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom